• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Has anyone tried attaching the gyro enable to the soft left trigger pull? For whatever reason, when I exit out it automatically changes it to full left trigger.

Can't get a good GTA5 control scheme right with that problem lurking.

Nzyme32

XB1/DS4 controller > Steam controller for SFV.

Play with the Steam controller and get dat ass handed to you.

From my experience testing out mk9 and snes KI, its better than the 360 and ds3 pads for fighting games once after a couple of hours to get used to it and using activate on click, high haptics and small deadzone, so you can just roll your thumb and get better feedback than either of the other controllers.

I'm certainly leaning towards thinking someone could do just as well or likely better with a Steam Controller with a couple of hours getting aclimated and using the right settings, which is a sentiment others have echoes about it vs the Xbox one dpad. Personally I've not had enough experience to judge the the Xbox one and ds4 controller's though

Has anyone tried attaching the gyro enable to the soft left trigger pull? For whatever reason, when I exit out it automatically changes it to full left trigger.

I'm guessing it's a bug, since there was a similar issue with the hipfire settings for the triggers, but Valve have fixed it in today's beta upade just a few hours ago, so maybe give that a try. Otherwise, with the speed they are putting these updates out, hopefully we'll see it fixed very soon

laxu

Yeah, utterly frustrated with the controller configurator at the moment. I just had an oustanding MGS V Mouse-joystick setup, tried to publish it and got an error message saying it couldn't write to the disk, then it deleted everything I had done and just returned to the default gamepad template, with no way to retrieve it. No idea what happened.

I've had an issue where I made an alternative config to my usual for Witcher 3 but when I tried going back to what I had previously saved I realized Steam had decided that it would save all changes over what I had deliberately marked save as. IMO it should remember your config but only overwrite a saved one when you ask it to.

Is there a way to use the controller with Windows10 in regards to being able to bring up the keyboard? Like if I wanted to use the keyboard for a Netflix search via Chrome?

I remember Kreijloc mentioning using the Windows keyboard overlay, but I'd prefer to be able to click the Steam button and bring up the keyboard you can use in BPM. Thought's/suggestions?

I looked through the OP and didn't notice it and may have missed if it's been asked already.

CO_Andy

Is there a way to use the controller with Windows10 in regards to being able to bring up the keyboard? Like if I wanted to use the keyboard for a Netflix search via Chrome?

I remember Kreijloc mentioning using the Windows keyboard overlay, but I'd prefer to be able to click the Steam button and bring up the keyboard you can use in BPM. Thought's/suggestions?

I looked through the OP and didn't notice it and may have missed if it's been asked already.
You can't use the Steam controller keyboard overlay outside of Steam. Maybe on Steam OS, but certainly not Windows.

Milpool

Yeah I mentioned it a few pages back, the latest update hasn't fixed it yet but it fixed the trigger problem.

For me choosing left trigger full pull or right grip changes to the mapping that's above it in the list when I exit out... So left trigger full pull changes to right trigger full pull, and right grip changes to left bumper. I think those 2 are the only settings that don't stick.

That doesn't lool like a thorough review at all.

A lot of what is said was true about 10 days ago. But its developing very fast and has changed in leaps and bounds since. Community input and the amazing frequency that valve are updating it has been brilliant.

It's funny to me that review sites are currently very keen to hold back on reviewing games before they are out in the wild (ie Halo 5). But the steam controller, which isn't actually out until november and is very obviously undergoing a wide public beta, is considered fair game.

Ivan

How does the controller register very small finger movements in trackball mode?

On some touchpads it feels like you must move your finger "quite a bit" to even make the cursor move, and THEN it registeres small movements like it should.

I know that not every touchpad is like that, but that would be a deal breaker for me.

I wonder how it feels in this situation:

You see something that you want to shoot at, your crosshair almost there in the first place, so you need to move it just a bit to hit the target.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

Does it have that little lag, like the cursor (or camera) is glued for a split of a second and than it moves?

Ivan--

The touchpad is very high DPI, so it can detect really small movements. That being said, I've found that the sort of small adjustments you're referring to are best made using the gyro.

Nzyme32

Ivan--

The touchpad is very high DPI, so it can detect really small movements. That being said, I've found that the sort of small adjustments you're referring to are best made using the gyro.

The gyro trackball combo certainly works the best so far, even with the limited time I've put into practising and getting used to it, but I have had a lot of success with using a thumb rolling technique for precise aiming situations, that I can now do quite quickly.

For the pad, I set its sensitivity quite low, medium feedback and friction, added rotation to the orientation of the pad by about 30 degrees. Increasing the smoothing a little also helped massively, as I like to use a light touch that ends up being a bit shaky. I basically set it up so that, from the centre of the pad, by touch only I can get to see about 80 degrees further swiping left / right, so from the left most point to the right I go through about 160 degrees.

A gentle flick from the centre should get me a 90 degree turn, and a slightly stronger flick gets me a full 180. As forcefully as I can flick using the whole pad, usually gets a bit over 400 degrees. Making sure I can consistently get that, helps massively.

Is it possible to bind 2 actions to one button? For example analog right + button?
Yes, for joysticks there's an option called "Outer Ring Binding" which adds an extra command. Meant for adding a sprint key to the outer movement. If you need the extra key all the time though, you can change where that Outer Ring activates, or even invert it to the inner ring, to make it active all the time.

For button presses it's easier. You can pick multiple inputs to bind to one button.

luffeN

Yes, for joysticks there's an option called "Outer Ring Binding" which adds an extra command. Meant for adding a sprint key to the outer movement. If you need the extra key all the time though, you can change where that Outer Ring activates, or even invert it to the inner ring, to make it active all the time.

For button presses it's easier. You can pick multiple inputs to bind to one button.

So I want to bind "right + jump" to the right bumper, which going by your explanation should be possible.

Nzyme32

So I want to bind "right + jump" to the right bumper, which going by your explanation should be possible.

It's called "modifiers" in the settings to do that where one button on the controller hits multiple buttons / keys. Also good to point out that the outter ring binding idea can be inverted and have it's size change which is useful for games where shift and movement keys would be walk rather than run

Yes. You can bind either a keyboard command for right or dpad command for right to the bumper plus jump. You can't bind a specific joystick direction to a button, but I assume most games would have a dpad or keyboard equivalent.

So, you can assign two simultaneous actions to a bumper? Because that's what he's asking. No one ever showed the bumper menu, I assumed it's just one input.

Nzyme32

So, you can assign two simultaneous actions to a bumper? Because that's what he's asking. No one ever showed the bumper menu, I assumed it's just one input.

When you configure the bumper, and it brings the up UI for selecting keys from the keyboard or buttons for the controller / mouse, you can press a button (can't remember if it's x or back or something) to select multiple keys / buttons to be pressed simultaneously rather than just a single selection

Jinkies

Funny and true post on the SC subreddit, which I think might have been inspired by a post I made in this thread. :)

I think every new owner should read it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamController/comments/3qjhf8/steam_controller_the_5_stages/

I saw someone mention this and it is so true. For all the 2nd batch of people about to receive their controllers you're about to go through the following stages:

1 - Denial

Day 1 of your new controller you will find it hard. You will tell yourself it's not hard you just need to tweak a few settings. You will think things like "it probably needs a software update. It's probably the profile I'm using". This controller is something else. It's not a small leap, it's a huge leap into new territory.

2 - Anger

After 8-16 hours worth of gameplay you will die in game and you will get furious. You'll think "if i was using a mouse or 360 pad I would have got that head shot!!!" You will consider never using the controller again. You will consider putting it on e-bay; anything to get this demon controller you've invited into your home out.

3 - Bargaining

16 - 24 hours of game play in, if you've made it this far, you're now finally starting your journey to Shangri-La. You'll think "I'll just use it for CIV" or "I can use it for my friends as controller 2". You'll start to tinker with settings and think "well i could try using a mouse as the right pad rather than the stick emulator".

4 - Depression

This stage happens at any point but you will be sad about your purchase. Your dreams of it just working weren't true and so you grind on through the difficulty of tweaking the settings and trying out the gyro. You'll think about how you could have spent the money on a shark card or a new razer mouse.

5 - Acceptance / Love

Then it happens. About 1 week in you're trek up the mountain is becoming easier. You pick up the controller on a new day and start up ESO, Far Cry 2, Terraria, Kerbal Space Program and your not concentrating any more. You're head shottin like a ninja. You've stopped using the stick for movement and have switched to the left touch pad. Your thumbs are glued to the touch pads and your rear 6 fingers are never leaving the triggers, bumpers and grips. You're hands are naturally jerking around in crucial moments tweaking the gyro mouse to get a perfect snipe, a perfect course correction, a major grip over your recoil.

But it's not stopping! Every day has a new software update! A new idea has sprung up from the community! You're hard trigger subtle aiming! You're mode shifting into different play styles! There's a new update! There's another update ... and it's still going.

If you made it past stage 2 I salute you and welcome you to the absolute best way to play games on the couch!

So, the touchpad mode is *this* close to being perfect for GW2.

Only thing I would like, is for it to have a mode for not requiring a click. That way, without having to bind anything else, moving your thumb over the pad will act as a mouse, then when you click in a direction, clicking the pad would shift it into touchpad mode, move your finger into position, and as you release it would trigger that action. Right now I need to use a button in order to do it, and while it's alright, it can sometimes cause missed actions.

Other than that, it's helped me improve my GW2 bindings by a huge amount.

When you configure the bumper, and it brings the up UI for selecting keys from the keyboard or buttons for the controller / mouse, you can press a button (can't remember if it's x or back or something) to select multiple keys / buttons to be pressed simultaneously rather than just a single selection

It's Y.
But I don't think you can bind the analog stick moving in a specific direction to anything.

Jinkies

The gyro trackball combo certainly works the best so far, even with the limited time I've put into practising and getting used to it, but I have had a lot of success with using a thumb rolling technique for precise aiming situations, that I can now do quite quickly.

For the pad, I set its sensitivity quite low, medium feedback and friction, added rotation to the orientation of the pad by about 30 degrees. Increasing the smoothing a little also helped massively, as I like to use a light touch that ends up being a bit shaky. I basically set it up so that, from the centre of the pad, by touch only I can get to see about 80 degrees further swiping left / right, so from the left most point to the right I go through about 160 degrees.

A gentle flick from the centre should get me a 90 degree turn, and a slightly stronger flick gets me a full 180. As forcefully as I can flick using the whole pad, usually gets a bit over 400 degrees. Making sure I can consistently get that, helps massively.
After two weeks, I feel like I don't need the gyro anymore. It was nice to have while I became familiar with the controller and my custom configs, but now the touchpad feels as precise as a mouse. I think my brain has filled in the gaps, as I expected to happen.

Hah that was me and it was inspired by your post.
Aw, that's great, we've come full circle, haha

Has Giant Bomb talked about their experience with the controller yet? Haven't seen that. Man, that's going to be tough knowing them haha

Has Giant Bomb talked about their experience with the controller yet? Haven't seen that. Man, that's going to be tough knowing them haha

Vinny used it a bit, didn't use any community configs and seemed to kind of write it off. I hope he goes back to it. Otherwise, Jeff was pretty down on it sight unseen, saying "It always seemed like a bad idea."

Veal

Does anyone have any experience with Warframe using the steam controller? That game feels like it would pair great with the controller!

Deadstar

Does anyone prefer playing Metal Gear with this controller? I tried the most recommended settings and it was SO bad. The right pad had such a slowness to it compared to an xbox right stick that it was ridiculous. I was aiming like a snail.

Did I just pick a bad profile?

Does anyone prefer playing Metal Gear with this controller? I tried the most recommended settings and it was SO bad. The right pad had such a slowness to it compared to an xbox right stick that it was ridiculous. I was aiming like a snail.

I think I would be happy with default controller mode but with joystick mouse (+gyro?). Haven't tried MGS since the option became available.

Nzyme32

You must have chosen a bad profile. Some of the gyro set ups are ridiculously responsive and quick to use. Here's just one example which can be improved upon to suit your tastes - https://youtu.be/B43ibnztDLc?t=1m20s

Deadstar

You must have chosen a bad profile. Some of the gyro set ups are ridiculously responsive and quick to use. Here's just one example which can be improved upon to suit your tastes - https://youtu.be/B43ibnztDLc?t=1m20s

I'll check that out. I had seen that video before but I figured that the top configuration would be the best. This doesn't seem to be the case in many situations. I'll have to try other setups that are on there. Gyro was not enabled for the top 3 configs that I tested and I eventually gave up because it was so unresponsive.

I'd like to see them dedicate a segment to it on UPF trying out different games and configs.

Vinlaen

Now that quite a few people have had the controller for a while, would anybody say the controller isn't ideal for certain games or genres? For example, 2D games or dual-stick shooters maybe? It does seem like FPS games are quite improved though.

I could be quite wrong, but I'm doubting the controller is better than a traditional controller for all situations...

Deadstar

Now that quite a few people have had the controller for a while, would anybody say the controller isn't ideal for certain games or genres? For example, 2D games or dual-stick shooters maybe? It does seem like FPS games are quite improved though.

I could be quite wrong, but I'm doubting the controller is better than a traditional controller for all situations...

I played Shovel Knight and it was absolutely fine using the default controls. I didn't play it long enough to know whether or not I prefer it to an xbox or ps4 controller though. I need more time with it.

Red

I've been using it for everything I can and it's just as good as dual stick in everything I've tried. It is definitely weird at first, but I typically don't have to think about what I'm doing or where my fingers are going after a few minutes for each game.
For me, it was weird stepping away from the resistance a stick offers, but this is countered by adjusting deadzones and compensating for small movements on the pad. It feels great after setting those sliders all nice and pretty. First time I used it it was so jittery it gave me motion sickness.

luffeN

So. You can bind a direction plus an action to one button, but it doesn't help in Rocket League. I wanted to bind the rolls to either side to the bumpers, but a simultaneous input does not activate a roll. I tried it with the left trackpad where click would be jump. The problem here is that you have to swipe to the left or right and then click to do the roll. If you jump with A and then just press the right side of the trackpad, the car only jumps. I set the pad to joystick camera, so it may work with other settings, not sure.

Nzyme32

I'll check that out. I had seen that video before but I figured that the top configuration would be the best. This doesn't seem to be the case in many situations. I'll have to try other setups that are on there. Gyro was not enabled for the top 3 configs that I tested and I eventually gave up because it was so unresponsive.

One of those top 3 configurations is my own, which was on a whim right when the controller came out. This is the big problem with the system so far. Originally the community bindings were put in order of creation date, then that got switched to number of users using it. There still isn't a system in place to rate the efficacy of the bindings and find the most useful ones. All that's at the top currently for practically every game, is the most used due to placement or due to people trying them, and not playing the game since - whether good or bad.

They need different metrics. Maybe a rating system, maybe listing them by total hours of use, maybe split them into the types of configs they are - trackball / gyro, analogue, mouse joystick etc.

b0bbyJ03

so is there anyone that would prefer this gamepad for an FPS game over a traditional controller? have not had a chance to catch up on impressions. Thanks.

So. You can bind a direction plus an action to one button, but it doesn't help in Rocket League. I wanted to bind the rolls to either side to the bumpers, but a simultaneous input does not activate a roll. I tried it with the left trackpad where click would be jump. The problem here is that you have to swipe to the left or right and then click to do the roll. If you jump with A and then just press the right side of the trackpad, the car only jumps. I set the pad to joystick camera, so it may work with other settings, not sure.

What is the analog output for the left pad? Choosing Joystick Camera makes me think the output is the right analog stick, not the left.

Red

so is there anyone that would prefer this gamepad for an FPS game over a traditional controller? have not had a chance to catch up on impressions. Thanks.
I can't imagine a situation where the steam controller didn't allow more precise aiming than a game pad, given enough time for a player to acclimate.

Even if aiming is the same, but no better, the Steam controller gives you the ability to map buttons in such a way that you rarely if ever need to take your thumbs off the touch pads.

hepburn3d

Well the one game it wasn't perfect in for me was CoH2. It was playable but not perfect. With the new touch pad options this could change though. I'll be tinkering some more to get something set up

Nzyme32

Well as many of us have said before in this thread, yes it is better. Personally I definitely would use this over a traditional dual analogue stick controller for FPS - however, when playing the more competitive shooters, where possible (such as at a desk) I'd be going for a mouse and keyboard since it trumps everything but also has decades of familiarity attached to it. Having said that, I wouldn't have an issue playing with the Steam Controller when looking to be more laid back.

Of course the Steam Controller is pretty much aimed as a lounge or other solution for where a keyboard and mouse is inconvenient. It is about as close as you can get to mouse and keyboard accuracy, precision and speed but with a controller. Dual analogue controllers simply can't compete well enough to be enjoyable.

So far I haven't found a situation where the Steam Controller isn't equal to or better than a traditional controller, with the exception of wanting button prompts to be available for the Steam Controller - which is possible for native games but not for the legacy and developer bindings, so you have to resort to the overlay, which is a minor hassle.

I would say MOBAs, and to an extent RTS, is where I am particularly wobbly. I haven't put in nearly enough time to test this properly and have not tried using the gyro + trackball combo or dampening features or the new touch menu systems, so I probably am no the best person for this. I can play Starcrafts Campaign on hard (at least the early parts of the campaign). It feels a bit frantic due to the lack of familiarity, but is doable. Online, I doubt I could do well at all, but with experience maybe.

Red

Anyone else unable to map gyro enable to left trigger full pull? It keeps switching to right trigger as soon as I leave the overlay.

Top Bottom