• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller trailer, $50

The Cowboy

How do you put in your state for a UK delivery order on Steam?, its all set for United Kingdom but its only allowing me to put in 3 letters and it isn't accepting UK, and it won't go past the page unless i put in a state.

Edit.
Got it now, it accepted UK after a few refreshes than suggested the correct region.

Jebral

I really, really want one of these things. Not going to be a replacement for an Xbone controller, but... I just can't resist the allure of strange new technology haha.

Elitro

Sick, i'm getting this for sure!
mayatomr_gdlk.gif

Baleoce

As someone who plays FFXIV on PC with a wii u pro controller, I'm thinking I could be quite creative in making a new config for it with this controller. Looking forward to seeing what the quality of the final build is like.

Aeqvitas

I don't really see how anyone can think a touchpad is at all better than an analogue stick. There is a reason even trying to game with a really nice trackpad is awful.

The only think I see this being remotely useful for is playing 4X and Grand Strategy games from the couch. But until those games have UI options that make anything readable from that distance, I don't see myself being tempted for this for my PC gaming needs.

Can this be used on any PC game even outside Steam ?

yes it literally appears as other devices (keyboard/mouse/etc) depending on how it is configured. you could use it in console games that support those

you'll need the Steam overlay if you want to configure it of course. It appears as a generic HID device otherwise. So, probably the easiest way is to add non-Steam games to the library.

bomblord1

Banned
No matter how I look at it I can't see this but being a halfway point between keyboard and mouse instead of a replacement for both. It seems to inherit the problems with a trackpad while maintaining the imprecision of a controller.

The Cowboy

Not gonna bother with the Steam order, i thought it was £39.99 but its actually £47.39 due to postage - i'll just hold of and get it for £39.99 in store when it comes out.

Vuze

Uff, came out at almost 69€ for me (DE)... no thanks, not for that price.
Will maybe pick it up for 55 when I see it in store or sth

Looks like it will be quite the process to adapt to new controllers that are in a familiar form factor, like with the advent of dual sticks, but more fiddly per application.

Paz

Oh wow this video is way more interesting than I thought it would be, super thrill seeing my game in it haha :D

The controller itself looks a lot better than the prototype we were given at Dev Days and I'm super keen to get my hands on one and make sure native support is as good as it can be, but the beautiful thing about these controllers is their ability to map as just about any input device + community configurations to reduce seutp time.

They are really an incredible solution to the problem of PC games requiring such a varied range of inputs, and having a non KB+M mechanism for basic browsing/management.

Quotient

I would really prefer to try it out before i purchase. Hopefully Gamestop, Best Buy etc have demo units available.

Wavebossa

I'll pick this up.

I recently bought a Xbox1 controller for my PC and I cannot put into words how bad this controller is compared to its 360 counterpart (Dpad is still bad on both options though)

I need a change and this will be worth looking into.

Tenebrous

I'll gladly add this to my 10+ input methods cluttering the place up already. Long live choice!

Not at all, from the video I still think I would prefer dual analogues over this.

Depends on the game. Playing CKII with dual sticks would be terrible. At least it would be tolerable with this pad.

Nzyme32

Turns out it is cheaper via GAME in the UK, simply for free shipping - although you have to get an extra £20 of Wallet Money at minimum.

neshcom

Banned
No matter how I look at it I can't see this but being a halfway point between keyboard and mouse instead of a replacement for both. It seems to inherit the problems with a trackpad while maintaining the imprecision of a controller.
That's what I was thinking during the trailer too. I'm still not sold on the concept nor am I a fan of "hey, the community will just make key binds for you!"

Anyone else think the trailer felt like a lot of jargon? If I didn't know about the controllers functions already, I'd walk away not knowing that it's a wireless controller with neat triggers.

Wasp

I think the grip buttons on the back are the best thing about it.

Personally I don't feel at all hindered by dual stick controllers, providing everyone else in a competitive match is using them too.

I don't really care about turning the camera around 180 degrees in a split second, if it was that important games could have a button dedicated to turning 180.

Simzyy

Can this be used as a replacement for Kb+M outside of games?

I want to permanently hook my PC up to my TV and just need a good solution for general use.

Top Bottom