• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller trailer, $50

jwk94

I think the grip buttons on the back are the best thing about it.

Personally I don't feel at all hindered by dual stick controllers, providing everyone else in a competitive match is using them too.

I don't really care about turning the camera around 180 degrees in a split second, if it was that important games could have a button dedicated to turning 180.
What exactly are those grips on the back?

The Cowboy

Turns out it is cheaper via GAME in the UK, simply for free shipping - although you have to get an extra £20 of Wallet Money at minimum.

Yeah, you buy the pad via Steam its £47.39 all in, you buy it from Game UK and its £59.99 and has £20 worth of Steam credit with it - so in essence you get £20 worth of Steam credit for £12.61, i know i complained above about Game but it is the better deal.

Plus, i can get Game to price match the trade value on my Xbox one pad to go towards the price, and its will be a heck of a lot easier to get a quick refund if its horrible to use :D.

Orayn

Can this be used as a replacement for Kb+M outside of games?

I want to permanently hook my PC up to my TV and just need a good solution for general use.

I believe so, once a profile is uploaded into the controller it becomes recognized as a virtual keyboard and mouse with whatever bindings you choose.

What exactly are those grips on the back?

Large clicky buttons built into the handles.

I'll wait for the press verdict at that price. Would probably spring for the bundle. Happy about it using AA batteries, does it include a dongle? (yes it does)
Badly needs a headphone jack.
Does the PS4 or Xbox One controller handle audio on PC for comparison?

Would be nice to see some demo units in GAME but unlikely given the space it would take up.

Zeknurn

Why not just buy a logitech wireless thumb ball mouse? It's better for games like civ than the steam controller could ever be. I've been comfy couching civ and other mouse heavy games for years.

Oh so you've used the Steam Controller, how is it and why is it worse than a trackball?

Nzyme32

What bundle?

Either via the Steam website or GAME (or whatever stores they are partnered with in your country), you can get both the Steam Controller and Steam Link together. They are the same price (£39.99 in the UK, so £79.98 total) but GAME in the UK give free delivery as well as the early bird availability (month earlier than general release) but you are forced to get extra Wallet Money - which isn't that bad since ultimately it is cheaper

Gren

Still on the lookout for a great Dualshock 4 sale, but now I might just wait for impressions on Valve's controller. Would rather it not use a wireless dongle, but I'd be using it with an Alienware Alpha, which has a custom compartment allegedly designed for hiding said dongle anyways.

The amount of thumb movement to turn Geralt turned me off. I think I will wait for wireless Xbox one controller support.

Paz

So will this have rumble support? I assume that's what they mean by feedback.

In the prototype unit they had feedback under the track pads so it felt more physical to move them, it's hard to explain but really helpful for judging motion on the surface.

Hope stuff like that survived to the production model.

jediyoshi

I don't really see how anyone can think a touchpad is at all better than an analogue stick. There is a reason even trying to game with a really nice trackpad is awful.

because analogue sticks are bound in movement speed whereas inertia isn't. also that reason is because track pads are traditionally awful on top of a bad form factor. you wouldn't use a stick outside the context of a controller either

ducksauce

Ordered the controller and Steam Link. The controller looks great for someone like me who prefers playing games on pc but hates sitting at a desk.

Nzyme32

Why not just buy a logitech wireless thumb ball mouse? It's better for games like civ than the steam controller could ever be. I've been comfy couching civ and other mouse heavy games for years.

The great thing about the controller is virtualising everything and having them modifiable. There is a lot of flexibility. Ghosting is also incredibly useful, particularly as a typing interface. Pretty sure a trackball is not going to be the best solution for everything. Also some good opportunities for post-release updates to the controller since everything is software/firmware driven

Decider

Or GAME could give us the option of buying the controller by itself, instead of trying to strongarm consumers into needlessly buying Steam credit. I wish they'd stayed bankrupt.

Do you get charged immediately or on shipping date?

Also, this supports xInput? Will it be able to recognize any game that uses a 360 controller?

Radec

yes it literally appears as other devices (keyboard/mouse/etc) depending on how it is configured. you could use it in console games that support those

you'll need the Steam overlay if you want to configure it of course. It appears as a generic HID device otherwise. So, probably the easiest way is to add non-Steam games to the library.

Thanks.

Time to sell my Xbone controller.

Einbroch

Banned
I'm really skeptical.

I wish they'd go fully one way or the other. This middle ground looks like a mediocre experience all the way around.

PS4 controller with inputmapper suits me just fine for multiplatform games. I suppose this might be okay for PC exclusives with no controller support.

lewisgone

The downloadable control schemes are the best idea. I hate mapping pc controllers and with all the potential and options of the controller it was looking like a nightmare to figure out for each individual game. But now you're going to get the experience voted as the best by the community, not necessarily the developers version. Really great idea.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wonder what the range is - My xbox 360 wireless adapter can reach far enough that I can use it with steam home streaming while still attached to the host computer.

Alternatively, how easy is it to sync it with different computers so I could just take it from the spare room to the lounge and sync with my mac mini or laptop when streaming

edit: hmm, 5m might be stretching it. Not sure what the Xbox one is rated at though.

kiguel182

Controller looks pretty cool and it's awesome to see a gaffer game in that trailer.

But AA batteries? In 2015? Why? What a baffling decision.

Hopefully it's more resistant than the PS4 controller. My left analog is peeling off and that's not good for a 50 euros controller.

Also, what's that shooter in the end?

pvpness

Yep, I noticed that too.

I think that's because it's tied to what are traditional wrist movements with a mouse. It's basically a mouse, so all those minor adjustments you make subconsciously with a mouse at this point really seem to stand out.

In the prototype unit they had feedback under the track pads so it felt more physical to move them, it's hard to explain but really helpful for judging motion on the surface.

Hope stuff like that survived to the production model.

I think the production model still has two of those things, under each of the pads.

I'm not entirely convinced by the concept presented, but for $50 I'll definitely give it a shot.

Interfectum

Controller looks pretty cool and it's awesome to see a gaffer game in that trailer.

Hopefully it's more resistant than the PS4 controller. My left analog is peeling off and that's not good for a 50 euros controller.

AA batteries that last 80 hours vs PS4 controller which lasts maybe 4 hours unplugged.

I'll take the batteries.

Tenebrous

Because AAA batteries can be easily sourced & replaced when they die. That and the fact you only need four batteries on a 2x2 rotation and bam, you never have to plug in again.

Or GAME could give us the option of buying the controller by itself, instead of trying to strongarm consumers into needlessly buying Steam credit. I wish they'd stayed bankrupt.
I'm quite surprised Valve has let them get away with this. I suppose a strong retail presence is necessary for this thing to get traction.

Melon Husk

AA Batteries are you kidding me? I'll buy one if it comes out good, but I'd rather to see two 14500s in the back than alkaline.

tesqui

wonder why they decided to show Wolfenstein to talk about the precision of the controller, instead of maybe an actual competitive game like CSGO. I mean hell thats THERE game.

I preordered. I know I'm getting it anyway, and if they're offering the possibility of getting it 3 weeks early, I figured I might as well.

wonder why they decided to show Wolfenstein to talk about the precision of the controller, instead of maybe an actual competitive game like CSGO. I mean hell thats THERE game.

They probably want to show compatibility with more than just Valve games in the trailer.

I just hope they never stop supporting the Xbox 360 (One) controller for those of us who prefer that rather than this weird Steam one.

Top Bottom