• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck OLED Announced: Coming November 16

Topher

Gold Member
Damn.....speak of the devil. Email just received.....

HBzMg1h.png

Mine's being shipped via UPS. Thank God for that. Fedex is notorious in our area. 64bitmodels 64bitmodels have you heard tales about Fedex packages being stuck in limbo in Austell, Ga?

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I have issues with Fedex, mainly they dont deliver shit and just run to my door and leave me a piece of paper telling me to pick it up at their location. Ive actually seen them run up to my door without the package and just the paper slip in hand lol.

I hate them, which is why im camping by my window today.

Topher

Gold Member
I have issues with Fedex, mainly they dont deliver shit and just run to my door and leave me a piece of paper telling me to pick it up at their location. Ive actually seen them run up to my door without the package and just the paper slip in hand lol.

I hate them, which is why im camping by my window today.

They are a shit company. I have a fully covered front porch and I've had cases where they will leave my package in the rain on the front step, a couple of feet outside of the covered area. Call and complain and you get nothing but attitude. They really don't give a shit.

StereoVsn

Ally reigns the undisputed king for performance as usual. Sorry Lenovo.

Grown to appreciate what that device can do every time I see it. It's starting to get really cheap too, though the SD issue still worries me.
Yeah, it is pretty nice. Battery life is its Achilles heel... well and Windows.

I tried one but the placement was intentionally off-center and it wrecked the balance of the Deck for me.

Yeah, can't do much due to Vent location on the back of the Deck. Plus wait throws you off (source I tried one and returned it).

Like i said. Asus needs to take notes and release their own OLED double dip. Would court so many users over to have the already great Ally screen made even better with HDR (and no more SD overheating bullshit)

If Valve actually starts releasing SteamOS for more devices then I think i'll really open myself to these Windows systems more.
Asus OLED Ally 1.5 with 32GB VRAM option and better designed grips would get me to double dip, no question. Throw in some sort agreement with Valve on Steam OS option, and that would be icing on the cake (won't happen). And yes, symmetrical sticks and say one touchpad for more control options would take that up even more.

What the Ally and the GO really need are symmetrical stick placements.
Agree, Steam Deck has best ergonomics of any handheld device I have ever tried.

I put a good amount of points in to having an OS actually designed to be used on handhelds too. Outside even the design elements, I think I've had the same game running on my 3DS for over 6 months now, no interruptions. Something you could never do on a Windows device, as it would force you against your will to reboot for updates.
Yeah, while there are disadvantages like not being able to easily play games from other StoreFronts, overall power consumption, performance (like smoothing out stuttering on Elden Ring) and overall UI/UX is much much better vs Windows. MS needs to get off their ass and get that rumored handheld OS rolled out.

Shakka43

Damn.....speak of the devil. Email just received.....

HBzMg1h.png

Mine's being shipped via UPS. Thank God for that. Fedex is notorious in our area. 64bitmodels 64bitmodels have you heard tales about Fedex packages being stuck in limbo in Austell, Ga?
Mine is coming via UPS too. I had a bad experience with FedEx delivering a Alienware ultrawide monitor, basically they marked it as delivered while it wasn't.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Yeah, while there are disadvantages like not being able to easily play games from other StoreFronts, overall power consumption, performance (like smoothing out stuttering on Elden Ring) and overall UI/UX is much much better vs Windows. MS needs to get off their ass and get that rumored handheld OS rolled out.
I mean MS has a lot of catch up to do on the back end too, not just the UI, SteamOS has superior controller support, comparing the Deck's control capabilities to something like the ROG Ally (which doesn't even have gyroscope working out of the box) is kind of insane.
Not to mention sleep mode which Windows will need its own proper response for and on the fly screen HZ switching.

StereoVsn

I mean MS has a lot of catch up to do on the back end too, not just the UI, SteamOS has superior controller support, comparing the Deck's control capabilities to something like the ROG Ally (which doesn't even have gyroscope working out of the box) is kind of insane.
Not to mention sleep mode which Windows will need its own proper response for and on the fly screen HZ switching.
Oh god, don't start me on Modern Sleep or whatever the hell its called. That shit never works. And lets not even go into backend disaster that is Windows Store for large sized applications (i.e. Games).

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah, I remember the whole shader compilation era of PC gaming. "PC gaming is a piece of shit experience I wouldn't even wish someone to have a 4090 GPU to suffer through" because every fucking game stutters like a motherfucker and needs to have shaders generated.

That was like all you read about in PC gaming threads for months. Felt like literally every game on PC was not really able to be played because of shader stutter, something that I suppose would exist on the Windows handhelds still, but not the Deck.

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
Taki Udon just put up his review of the 1TB vs 512GB, glossy vs anti glare. If you guys want to see the differences between screen and color display on both models this is it.

The anti glare screen on mine looks great, i have no issue with it

edit: nice, i have the samsung display (supposedly the better of the two, see the vid on how to check, timestamp around 7:20)

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

There are even case systems that will let you strap it to the back. It would be chunky.

Separately, saw ETA Prime video, and man, Legion Go drivers suck. Go consistently is performing the worst at 15w, sometimes significantly vs Ally with same chipset.

Basically unless you have some sort of a unique need for that ginormous screen, its either OLED Deck or Ally.
This is my annoyance that both Asus and Lenovo went with the Z1E chip rather than the regular 7840U. It may be slightly cheaper but then you're not getting drivers directly from AMD. The 7840U devices are reported to have better performance than the Z1E devices most of the time precisely because AMD supplies the drivers directly. And you get more reliable long-term support.

Sleepwalker

The screen in this thing is insanely beautiful, well worth the upgrade. Cyberpunk 2077 looks unreal.

I set up all my emulators via emudeck and imported my data from the old deck, most seems to work fine except yuzu who only shows a black screen on startup, annoying but I'll sort it out.

Next up, moonlight and chiaki.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I shouldn’t have, but I did buy an OLED deck for one of my kids for Xmas. I hope they get use out of it.
Damn son! Coca Cola be paying good these days lol /sarcasm!

Brother, that's the main concern so I went and looked into those Myoo Mini Plus. 60-70USD on Amazon right now and comes with case, protector and SD card. Good emu all the way to PS1/DS. A safer gift where you don't worry all the money may not be fully utilized lol

But that Deck will be glorious for a kid if he knows what's good.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The screen in this thing is insanely beautiful, well worth the upgrade. Cyberpunk 2077 looks unreal.

I set up all my emulators via emudeck and imported my data from the old deck, most seems to work fine except yuzu who only shows a black screen on startup, annoying but I'll sort it out.

Next up, moonlight and chiaki.

Definately let us know how well they work out! :)

StereoVsn

I shouldn’t have, but I did buy an OLED deck for one of my kids for Xmas. I hope they get use out of it.
That’s a very lucky kid! I must admit i probably would have gone the OG Deck route since you can get it much cheaper, especially if used.

Synless

That’s a very lucky kid! I must admit i probably would have gone the OG Deck route since you can get it much cheaper, especially if used.
I did initially… canceled it after I thought about it and switched it to the OLED. I figured it will go the distance a little longer, plus the better battery life. Plus let’s be real, I will use this thing from time to time, I’d rather be looking at the better display.

TheDude108

Sitting at "Your parcel has been sorted at our hub and is on its way to our delivery depot." with Parcelforce since yesterday afternoon.

Was hoping it would come today, but I guess it'll be tomorrow at this stage!

Top Bottom