• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck Previews

Kuranghi

Oh thank you jesus/ .Pennywise .Pennywise , I thought I was going to have to watch Rorie and Jan talk about this, can't stand Rorie and Jan's gaming opinions are as useful as I'd get from my dad.

Don't know why I didnt just search for other previews, duh.

Md Ray

Oh yeah, the floodgates are open.
Ohh yeahh...
taco GIF

octiny

Banned
via Linus video

-58 vs 37 fps on Aya Neo at same spot (Doom Eternal @ native res w/ medium settings)
-Quad channel memory (awesome)
-Hook it up to an external monitor & you can simply use it as a PC (as expected)
-Able use it as a secondary monitor
-Etched glass model (512GB) highly reduces glare from lower end models (also using glass)

BabyYoda

Banned
9ewiWlN.png

Holy shit that’s a chunky boy.
Good, I found the Switch to be horribly uncomfortable, like it was built for tiny Asian and kids and Asian kids hands! Also the Deck has normal sized analogue thumb sticks and buttons (not oompah loompah ones) and a proper d-pad. I 'm also excited about the Haptic touch pads, many are underestimating what they can bring I think. The Switch is great, don't me wrong, but it's not made for me.

ethomaz

Banned
Batery seems to be very weak... 90 minutes and already drops to below 30% from GiantBomb.

Edit - Verge says 90 minutes on The Witcher 3 and the battery was gone.

It is a test unit yet so I believe battery will be better in final version as Valve said 2-8 hours of gameplay.

Last edited:

rnlval

From https://youtu.be/SElZABp5M3U?t=599

Deck's 58 fps (about 1.6 TFLOPS, 88 GB/s memory bandwidth) vs ~38 fps (Aya-Neo's Vega 6's 1.15 TFLOPS, 35 GB/s bandwidth via dual-channel LPDDR4X-4266).

It seems 1.6 TFLOPS RDNA 2 = ~2 TFLOPS VEGA GCN e.g. Ryzen 7 4980U or Ryzen 7 5800U.

$399-to $649 Deck delivered comparable iGPU like high-end ultrabook's IGP with revised 7nm based RX Vega 8 at 1.95 Ghz to 2 Ghz. Deck's CPU is like Ryzen 3 PRO 4450U class.

Last edited:

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
The 64GB and 256GB models come with glass, too? Now I see no reason for the 512GB model. :messenger_sunglasses:

catvonpee

Batery seems to be very weak... 90 minutes and already drops to below 30% from GiantBomb.

It is a test unit yet so I believe battery will be better in final version as Valve said 2-8 hours of gameplay.
I still can't help but feel a slim Ultrabook and a gamepad would he a more elegant solution than this is. The thing is huge. My new laptop is pretty portable compared to this and does everything and even is like a Wacom too

20210616-195830.jpg

20210616-205755.jpg

rnlval

RDNA 2 iGPU may need 4 nm process node improvement as per Samsung's incoming S22 SoC.

Rembrandt APU is on 6 nm process node which improves upon Deck's Van Gogh APU's 7 nm process node.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Ehh seems to have to compromise too much on settings on games that are not even that resource hungry.

Was thinking it may be a good living room small form factor pc but looks like it’s better just to build a small form factor pc.

rnlval

I guess that is a valid point..

I haven't been on a train or a bus in like over twenty years. Just lots of planes.
On planes and longer-range bullet trains, the ultrabook form factor is okay if the seat has a drop-down tray table.

Your laptop with NVIDIA dGPU is not in the $399-to-$649 price range. It's good to see Valve has targeted Nintendo Switch's market price range which expands gaming PC's scope.

Last edited:

St0pThatGuy

Neo Member
I wish I could adjust my order from the mid range to the high end just for the glass difference.
What I did was cancel my reservation for the midrange one that I had, and put one in for the good one. Idk if that's still an option. And you could wind up getting pushed back on the waiting list. I did this back when it was first available. I was set for q1 2022 and it stayed the same for me.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
They gotta get rid of the black borders around the screen and put an 8" screen on this. They already have lots of 8" 720p screen in tablets, could've probably saved them money, too. That smaller screen just makes it look huge.

BeardGawd

Banned
Honestly... after viewing these I'm glad I didn't preorder. I love the idea of the device but it looks pretty huge and uncomfortable. Not to mention the dips to 20fps on Doom Eternal even on medium settings. The glare was pretty bad and the black levels werent great.

It's such a sadness that people think they can properly experience a video game on a fucking portable device like this.
The sadness is that some people think they need hundreds of FPS and more pixels than there are grains of sand in the Sahara desert to "properly experience" games.

Games are fun, mechanics, interactivity, sound, music, experience. Visuals are important, but visual fidelity is a distant shadow of a concern for actual game experience quality.

Top Bottom