• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | Discussion Thread - Everyone's favorite PC Platform

Mifec

Maybe you just need to get into the right mindset.

Did you ever try to flog yourself once for ingame every death

I already do that for every CS I miss in DOTA, don't think it would motivate me enough. Not to mention games like Shadow of Mordor which you can play blind and not die wouldn't make me flog myself even once :(

Battlechili

Banned
This is extremely false, would be nice if you researched before stating such thinysm
All right, I did some digging and this clarification means that I was indeed wrong and that they're issues are no so much the use of a similar style game mode but just other similarities in general. So nevermind, and I'm sorry for stating false information.
Horrible, that someone registered for the Beta and leaked it...
I hope this doesn't make NISA decide to stop doing private betas for their games. I think the betas really help with them finding and fixing issues.

redlacs

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot within the last 3 months to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Banner Saga 2 -- MB-0A73D82850002BE5 - Taken by nightstorm. 18 entrants total.

t1506904929z1.png

Well the Ys 8 leak should give us some insight into just how bad the PC version of the game was. Still quite curious to know why they thought they were ready for release until two days before the actual date when they realized that they have to delay it indefinitely.

Saty

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/184325/steam-top-10
Valve lists the following as the bestselling titles on Steam last week. Remember, this is for entertainment purposes only. Please, no wagering.

PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
Total War: WARHAMMER II
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Cuphead
Grand Theft Auto V
Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
The Guild 3
Assassin's Creed® Syndicate
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Call of Duty: WWII

PUBG continues it's run as the consecutive weekly #1 title since release. This time beating Warhammer's launch. What can threaten it? Would have been interesting if Destiny 2 was on Steam.

Well the Ys 8 leak should give us some insight into just how bad the PC version of the game was. Still quite curious to know why they thought they were ready for release until two days before the actual date when they realized that they have to delay it indefinitely.

Didn't people say the reason NISA got the translation deal over XSeed is cause they said they could get the PC version out simultaneously with the console version? Maybe they knew it wasn't possible but somebody higher said they had to try cause it was part of the deal and held off till the last moment to call it in.

Didn't people say the reason NISA got the translation deal over XSeed is cause they said they could get the PC version out simultaneously with the console version? Maybe they knew it wasn't possible but somebody higher said they had to try cause it was part of the deal and held off till the last moment to call it in.

Consumers got the shit end of that NISA business deal. I would rather have had a delayed but better localization job from XSEED at this point.

maybe late news, but i just heard that Ys VIII the beta PC version was cracked or leacked by 3dm group.

because it's beta version, it has many bugs like it doesn't fully support pc keyboards and Xbox one Controller.

RIP Japanese PC games beta in the future.

Just beat Elliot Quest and I'm glad that is over with. The game has some great highs but also disgustingly frustrating lows.

I went in blind so seeing an overworld map riddled with secrets was pretty cool. Hidden items everywhere would've made backtracking no problem however a major flaw was some of the level designs. Some areas had one way exits meaning if you didn't know or messed up blowing up rocks blocking a path, you would have to traverse through the whole area again to reach the end. Throw in frustrating enemies, large number of mobs, and LOSING EXP on every death, and well, I almost gave up on the game numerous times.

I did enjoy the music, creative puzzles and good use of powerups. The global achievement % are very low, I wonder if barely anyone played to the end or if it just sold poorly. If you enjoy punishing 'metroidvanias', give Elliot Quest a shot.

zkylon

zkylewd
I am about half-way through, and it never loses steam, as far as I am concerned. Great game! The fact that it isn't literally for everyone, and not trying to please every kind of player just makes that clearer.
I have seen you write about BioShock a few times (in the context of Prey), and that so misses the mark. This isn't that kind game, it's clearly trying to be an immersive sim, in the vein of System Shock. Very, very different things.
i also find it really strange you say bioshock isn't that kind of game when to me bioshock felt very much like an immersive sim, stripped down in some respects (like no inventory), but also very deep with different abilities and weapons and solutions to problems that are very simulation-like. you could do stuff like set up traps for big daddies, hack turrets and cameras, use weird plasmid and gene tonics combinations and take advantage of the environment in ways that made sense and were very immersive-sim like. the game had rules that made sense within the world and sold that immersion, right down to having a lore explanation for gameovers and retries. you could interact with objects through telekinesis, set oil on fire, create distracting dummies or set cameras to look for enemies and turn sentries against them. whenever enemies are weak they'd run to the same healing stations you would go to heal and you could hack those so they'd zap them instead

for me bioshock is very much an immersive sim, even if it doesn't have a dialogue system or an inventory or whatever.

for prey, you can tell they want to go further, which is why they have some really interesting systems like being able to track crewmembers or being able to turn into a mug or the fan favorite box lifting. they also have a jetpack and you can actually pick up almost everything and throw it and whatnot, which is great. all of that i think is really promising but it's not enough to set it apart from bioshock, which is a game it's borrowing huge parts from, like the narrative structure, aesthetic, actual systems like hacking minigames, etc. you can say some of this stuff was present in system shock as well, but the implementation definitely reminds me of bioshock more, it's modernized in the same way

so i disagree, i don't think bioshock is that different from system shock, and i don't think this game is very different from bioshock.

it's fine if you like it, i like lots about it too (like the music), i just wish it had a good story and i that the main enemies weren't phantoms since phantoms are lame af

cyba89

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/184325/steam-top-10

PUBG continues it's run as the consecutive weekly #1 title since release. This time beating Warhammer's launch. What can threaten it? Would have been interesting if Destiny 2 was on Steam.

There are a few candidates this month. I would say the biggest chance has the new Assassins Creed but that games numbers will be split among Sream and Uplay. Don't know if Evil Within 2, Middle Earth or Wolfenstein can top PUBG.

Mivey

so i disagree, i don't think bioshock is that different from system shock, and i don't think this game is very different from bioshock.
I honestly feel no interest in having to explain this, if you play both games side by side and you don't see how one is a streamlined shooter first, while maintaining some superficial elements of the older Shock games, and the other is absolutely part of the same immersive sims that Looking Glass and Ion Storm is so known for, well, than that's okay. Seem like those differences don't matter to you.

Luckily, with the System Shock Remake, and an actual System Shock 3, there is still plenty of games like this coming in the future (even if Prey 2017 goes the way of Prey 2006, the name seems cursed somehow).

zkylon

zkylewd
I honestly feel no interest in having to explain this, if you play both games side by side and you don't see how one is a streamlined shooter first, while maintaining some superficial elements of the older Shock games, and the other is absolutely part of the same immersive sims that Looking Glass and Ion Storm is so known for, well, than that's okay. Seem like those differences don't matter to you.

Luckily, with the System Shock Remake, and an actual System Shock 3, there is still plenty of games like this coming in the future (even if Prey 2017 goes the way of Prey 2006, the name seems cursed somehow).
if you don't feel any interest in explaining your argument then why get involved in a discussion?

pls don't be condescendent, i bothered to explain my point of view and the things i think that make up an immersive sim game (reactive ai, levels that feel like a believable world rather than levels, large player toolset, interactable toilets) and how those apply to both bioshock and prey. if you don't want to elaborate on your point of view then just don't be like "if you don't see things my way, well, that's ok, i guess you don't care enough"

that's just rude

Javier23

Banned
if you don't feel any interest in explaining your argument then why get involved in a discussion?

pls don't be condescendent, i bothered to explain my point of view and the things i think that make up an immersive sim game (reactive ai, levels that feel like a believable world rather than levels, large player toolset, interactable toilets) and how those apply to both bioshock and prey. if you don't want to elaborate on your point of view then just don't be like "if you don't see things my way, well, that's ok, i guess you don't care enough"

that's just rude
Levels in Bioshock feel so much like levels it's not even funny. It's not what they sold us it'd be during development. Far from it.

Bioshock at one point promised to be basically what Prey is today. Clearly technology just wasn't there. Or it was because Dishonored sure got it right. Either way, oh boy was that game a big disappointment.

Mivey

that's just rude
Hey, I'm just being lazy. I started to write something down, but it was kinda getting longer then I wanted. So okay, since you are mobbing me into actually answering, here we go.

The inherent way player choice is handled is different. In Bioshock, you are given the same basic tools, and while can put in some points to make a weapon better, or a power stronger, I do not feel that it really puts barriers up. Everyone can do everything.
The level design in BioShock is far more linear. Instead of having entire decks, where often a significant amount of stuff is completely optional, and you even have actual side quests, in BioShock I feel very guided all the time. This also robs me of the feeling of being lost, since there is always a clear path to follow. (Admittedly, Prey also gets this wrong by giving you a quest marker, but you can turn them off, and it's clear the game is still playable like SS2 without them. They do make sense for the Crew finding mini-missions, where you actually read someone's coordinates of their collars). Both SS2 and Prey, reward you for finding secret passages, by giving you cyber-modules (in SS2) or just nice items to find (SS2 and Prey). There is even a great thing in SS2 where SHODAN punishes you
for doing something she doesn't want you to see, by removing some of your cyber-modules. What SHODAN giveth, SHODAN can taketh away.
Another part of the immersive sim heritage, is that you are not effective at all with certain weapons until you spent points at it. This seems like a small thing maybe, but it matters the world to me. It makes (at least the early parts of the game), feel very different depending on how you stat your character.
Having an inventory, and managing it well, is so important to me as well. I'm sorry but that alone should make it obvious where they were going with BioShock, but which apparently means nothing at all to you.
So I'm sorry, I don't want to seem condescending at all. If these things are just useless for you, okay, you actually can play Prey like a (admittedly poor) BioShock game. That's how customizable it is. The reverse, for me, doesn't hold.

zkylon

zkylewd
Levels in Bioshock feel so much like levels it's not even funny. It's not what they sold us it'd be during development. Far from it.

Bioshock at one point promised to be basically what Prey is today. Clearly technology just wasn't there. Or it was because Dishonored sure got it right. Either way, oh boy was that game a big disappointment.
i think there's reason to feel disappointed about the scaling down changes bioshock got during development, but that's not the topic on discussion here so i'm gonna skip that

for the levels stuff, i guess we'll disagree, i feel rapture definitely felt like a city that was lived in, with stores and houses and whatnot. not all the time, but for the better part, i think that part they definitely nailed

Hey, I'm just being lazy. I started to write something down, but it was kinda getting longer then I wanted. So okay, since you are mobbing me into actually answering, here we go.

The inherent way player choice is handled is different. In Bioshock, you are given the same basic tools, and while can put in some points to make a weapon better, or a power stronger, I do not feel that it really puts barriers up. Everyone can do everything.
The level design in BioShock is far more linear. Instead of having entire decks, where often a significant amount of stuff is completely optional, and you even have actual side quests, in BioShock I feel very guided all the time. This also robs me of the feeling of being lost, since there is always a clear path to follow. (Admittedly, Prey also gets this wrong by giving you a quest marker, but you can turn them off, and it's clear the game is still playable like SS2 without them. They do make sense for the Crew finding mini-missions, where you actually read someone's coordinates of their collars). Both SS2 and Prey, reward you for finding secret passages, by giving you cyber-modules (in SS2) or just nice items to find (SS2 and Prey). There is even a great thing in SS2 where SHODAN punishes you
for doing something she doesn't want you to see, by removing some of your cyber-modules. What SHODAN giveth, SHODAN can taketh away.
Another part of the immersive sim heritage, is that you are not effective at all with certain weapons until you spent points at it. This seems like a small thing maybe, but it matters the world to me. It makes (at least the early parts of the game), feel very different depending on how you stat your character.
Having an inventory, and managing it well, is so important to me as well. I'm sorry but that alone should make it obvious where they were going with BioShock, but which apparently means nothing at all to you.
So I'm sorry, I don't want to seem condescending at all. If these things are just useless for you, okay, you actually can play Prey like a (admittedly poor) BioShock game. That's how customizable it is. The reverse, for me, doesn't hold.
some points i'll agree, some points i won't, i get the feeling of why our opinions might differ, but i'm not gonna assume much. and idk what you mean about being mobbed tho, you got yourself in this conversation, i'm just holding you accountable for it -___-

anyways, don't be lazy, discussing is fun, so let's!

bioshock definitely is linear in the sense that you get access to one area at a time, but those areas are usually pretty large, and filled with optional content, including secrets like health pickups, adam, gene tonics, audio diaries and bits of environmental storytelling. i can see what you mean about lacking the feeling of being lost, but i'd argue this free roaming thing is not essential to the genre, as games like deus ex, thief and dishonored also let you explore one level at a time. i can't fully remember system shock 2 cos it's been a while, but i'm pretty sure you didn't have access to the entire ship right away, tho i might be wrong

the upgrading bit, i appreciate that's important to you and i think i get what you're getting at, but i feel the way they've implemented it in prey is really unrewarding. it's true, in bioshock you don't really need upgrades, but i really like how upgrading a gun felt both like a meaningful decision (since upgrade stations were rare and you could only upgrade one gun at a time), and also like a meaningful upgrade (pretty big stat upgrades + gun would visually change). in prey, i upgraded almost all my guns and can barely tell the difference, specially cos you have to spec into gun upgrades which is a much more boring upgrade path than the abilities that grant you access to new areas like hacking or lifting. the way i think you mean this, is that games like system shock or prey let you spec out your character, and that's true, although i feel the way prey's designed the skill tree is kind of frustrating. like i just said, first thing i'm gonna do is try and get all the abilities that let me get into the most places, so at least early on i feel really locked into these unsatisfying upgrade paths that are just being able to unlock higher security doors or lift heavier objects. while bioshock didn't have skill trees, you did have to choose which abilities you buy and which ones you equip, which let you have a similar experience, even if it's more streamlined. thief did fine without an upgrade tree, so i don't think it's a key checkbox you need to fill to be an immersive sim

inventory is sometimes good, when it's like deus ex human revolution or something, but here i feel it's kind of a dud. you can't rotate items to have fun inventory tetris and you pick up so much loot but it's 90% junk you recycle or food you eat when your inventory is full, so i don't think it's a very interesting system. and thief is my friend in all these cases, thief did perfectly fine without an inventory (as did bioshock). both games just limited your access to items with caps on how many water arrows or eve hypos you could carry or buy, and that's it, you get a similar experience of limited resources without needing to go through a complicated inventory, which at least in prey's case, it's not very interested to interact with anyways

and i get it, all these systems are complex and bioshock streamlined them and by streamlining them then there's definitely something lost in the way, because complexity is part of the aesthetic and it's important. but i also think bioshock did a really good job at streamlining while keeping the essence of what those more complex systems were meant to accomplish, inventory management was meant to force you to deal with item scarcity, and bioshock definitely does that, and skill trees were meant to let you customize your character to your liking and bioshock also definitely does that. and while you might be pretty railroaded in bioshock, you're still allowed to explore those areas at your leisure, and those areas are filled with secrets that make them just as rewarding to explore. i think a good comparison would be new xcom vs old xcom. sure, there's no AP and infinite ammo in the new xcom, but you still need to be smart about how you command you troops and you still need to think about ammo over long fights. bioshock is the same, it's the new xcom to system shock's old xcom, that's the way i see it

finally, thief (which is probably my favorite immersive sim game btw) was also a game without an inventory, without a skill tree and with discrete levels, and it's unequivocally one of the poster childs of the genre. the immersive sim genre is one you can stretch a lot i feel, and you can feel its essence in all sorts of games, from metal gear solid 5 to stalker, and i think being dogmatic about it really robs us from seeing how far it can be taken

Annubis

i can't fully remember system shock 2 cos it's been a while, but i'm pretty sure you didn't have access to the entire ship right away, tho i might be wrong

You're pretty gated by the 'main quest'. As you progress you unlock faster travels around the areas. Most places you'll come back to quite often for various reasons (Engineering is one such example)

Then there's the Body of the Many and the Rickenbeiker (probably misspelled) which are levels you drop into and have to finish them and cannot return to.

FINALLY got around to starting Alien Isolation. Bought it during the Summer Sale with trading card monies, but have been waiting for my partner to be interested in watching (as the Alien franchise is amongst her all-time favorites).

So far, so good! I'm/we're quite enjoying it about 2 hours in. I've heard the game overstays it's welcome, but I'm still pretty pumped to continue on.

One additional surprise for me was how well the game runs on my system. I only have an Alienware Alpha R1 and I was intrigued when the game defaulted the graphics options to nearly the highest settings. I left it like that, and the game has been running super smoothly at 1080p. Though, the cut scenes have been choppy as hell, so that's a bit unfortunate.

preta

Do we know how old the leaked version of the Ys 8 beta is? Just wondering what kind of impression it's going to give people, considering it's gone through many patches.

Anustart

I need Wolfenstein in my veins. This will be my first full price purchase since...uh.gta v?

I'm pumped. First one surprised me with how great it was.

Do we know how old the leaked version of the Ys 8 beta is? Just wondering what kind of impression it's going to give people, considering it's gone through many patches.

Isn't it from late August build? I remember they started sending beta invites around that time.

Genres are usually full of arbitrary distinctions but I can piece together a through line of mechanics or systems in place that give them their naming -- but immersive sim is still one that eludes me and basically means nothing to me as a descriptor. The games in the mold are more like first person RPG hybrids that more heavily skew on their RPG systems; the exception to this being Thief, which is why I think it's a weird sub-genre that doesn't really clue me in on what to expect other than being first person.

To speak on BioShock, it always felt like a Metroid experience, but a pared down one where exploration wasn't as rewarding and the focus was more on combat. The inventory was simple, you had a fixed progression of weaponry and abilities that you could not opt out from, exploration was simple, there wasn't even a fail state. You could make some interesting combat scenarios though.

What endeared me so much to Prey was how much freedom it allowed on the player, and how so much of it was play-oriented. Everything had a tactility to it. The game has so much verticality and allows for a variety of interesting ways of exploring its spaces, it even did the thing BioShock originally wanted to do with being able to use the exterior of the space station as a tool to shortcut your way around (the space stuff was so rad). The sheer mobility in that game is a joy, I loved finding ways to Gloo Gun and mantle up to ceilings and going into places that I felt like I shouldn't be able to go to but then find something there anyways that rewards the effort. I love that the game gives me the choice to opt into weird abilities, or use no neuromods at all, I value that in character building as I enjoy gravitating towards more grounded character types that use gadgetry to their advantage rather than things that are magic under another term. And oh man, do I love the recycler. Finally, some payoff to being a chronic klepto to all the junk in these games when you just jam it all into a machine and get all those delicious cubes and spheres to do with as you please on the other end. I may even perhaps enjoy that part a bit too much as it leaves me feeling like I'm anticipating my hit of garmonbozia.

tumblr_lheylmUv3c1qdnwiro1_500.gif

zkylon

zkylewd
i think i mostly wanted a better story and a more interesting setting

initially i found the station to be kind of intriguing, but lately it's been all like engineering facilities and such which is very same looking and very boring to look at, and while the story looked like it was going somewhere, it's kind of grinded to a halt once they let you roam free since it's so easy to get distracted exploring and looking for secrets. i thought i was in for a psychological horror story and instead i'm just scavenging for crap while listening to boring scientists talk about boring corporate stuff

i do enjoy the game a fair bit more now that i've unlocked a bunch of magic and am turning into a mug every 5 seconds. i still don't find the combat very fun but at least i have more shit to do than just trade blows in a not very effective bullet time

about immersive sims, yeah, it's a dumb name for a dumb genre, but i think its legacy is pretty important. the idea of designing places instead of levels and of simulating object and character behavior as the way of making a game believable is something i find it really interesting. but yeah, it's dumb

dex3108

i think i mostly wanted a better story and a more interesting setting

initially i found the station to be kind of intriguing, but lately it's been all like engineering facilities and such which is very same looking and very boring to look at, and while the story looked like it was going somewhere, it's kind of grinded to a halt once they let you roam free since it's so easy to get distracted exploring and looking for secrets. i thought i was in for a psychological horror story and instead i'm just scavenging for crap while listening to boring scientists talk about boring corporate stuff

i do enjoy the game a fair bit more now that i've unlocked a bunch of magic and am turning into a mug every 5 seconds. i still don't find the combat very fun but at least i have more shit to do than just trade blows in a not very effective bullet time

about immersive sims, yeah, it's a dumb name for a dumb genre, but i think its legacy is pretty important. the idea of designing places instead of levels and of simulating object and character behavior as the way of making a game believable is something i find it really interesting. but yeah, it's dumb

But thing is that story is everywhere. Nothing is "boring scientist talk", everything is part of the story. From crew relationships to things that happened before major event and things that led to major event. Every audio log and email is building that story and world. That is nice way to solve issue of exploration freedom and story.

zkylon

zkylewd
what can i say, it's a boring world with boring people in it talking about boring shit

how the shipment didn't arrive or how the vent broke down and it's gonna need repairs or how they're behind on their neuromod schedule is yeah, not very interesting

i like reading, when a game gives me a ton of text like this one (or much more like in rpgs and stuff) i like to go through it all, but it's like why did they even bother adding so much fluff, it's so mundane and pointless

i like the part about turning into a monster and rewriting your memory and talking to yourself from the past and imprinting your personality on a robot and whatever the hell is going on with the main story, it's just feels so sparse because the meat of the game is walking around looting and exploring and shit

aside from that, i am having a lot more fun now that i've unlocked a bunch of zero gravity areas and a bunch of powers. i really dislike the way you unlock powers in this game but turning into a mug and sneaking through cracks to enter previously inaccessible rooms is really fun, it's kind of my favorite thing about the game heh

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

There's a misunderstanding in that thread. "Pre-load" isn't a general term for when you download game data before release; rather, it refers specifically to downloading the heavily encrypted data that becomes available for holders of a standard licence when a pre-load is enabled. That protection has never been broken. People with beta keys don't pre-load games but instead just download the data normally as the licence they have includes a release state override, and somebody has used that perk to give 3DM the beta build of the game.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I'm going to spoiler this, since it's such a game changer. The most overpowered ability in Prey, that makes almost all combat trivial:
The Wrench. Seriously. Put the points into it, use the impact chipset, you basically knock everything on its ass. Combine it with psychoshock or the nullwave nade and you become the unstoppable space horror whose biggest problem is chasing things down.

Rizzi

I'm going to spoiler this, since it's such a game changer. The most overpowered ability in Prey, that makes almost all combat trivial:
The Wrench. Seriously. Put the points into it, use the impact chipset, you basically knock everything on its ass. Combine it with psychoshock or the nullwave nade and you become the unstoppable space horror whose biggest problem is chasing things down.

The same thing can be said about most weapons in that game if you spec the right way though.

cyba89

There are only 40 thousand PUBG Gamescom crates on the market (was like 170k not that long ago) and prices are only going up now. :)

PaulSane

"Why is PC gaming still considered difficult with too much tinkering?"

Because this kind of shit still happens.

But what if i like tinkering? (Only half-joking here btw :p)

On a serious note though, i always viewed the ability to mess with game files as a plus of PC gaming - if a console game has bugs or poor performance, you can't do anything outside of waiting for the game to be patched. This doesn't excuse the situations like the one with Blue Reflection though.
It also has some performance issues on PS4, and people have to wait for KT to fix those - but, at least for now, i'm pretty sure i'm playing the superior version of the game after applying the community fix. The PC port still has some inferior graphic effects (the difference is rather minor though), like shadows and AO, but the consistent unlocked FPS and higher resolution outweigh those for me.

Top Bottom