• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | Discussion Thread - Everyone's favorite PC Platform

Arthea

People openly admitting to pirating a game on the Steam forums of said game. We've reached peak stupidity.
I wish there were consequences for that shit.

steam boards are barely moderated at all, and you want someone actually to read shit there? audacity!

Lain

I mean, I always thought it was on the night between 31Oct/1Nov.

Even looking at wiki tells me this:

Halloween or Hallowe'en (a contraction of All Hallows' Evening),[5] also known as Allhalloween,[6] All Hallows' Eve,[7] or All Saints' Eve,[8] is a celebration observed in a number of countries on 31 October, the eve of the Western Christian feast of All Hallows' Day. It begins the three-day observance of Allhallowtide,[9] the time in the liturgical year dedicated to remembering the dead, including saints (hallows), martyrs, and all the faithful departed.[10][11]

Arthea

Anyone know of a good version of Mahjong? Not the gamble thing but the one where you have to find pairs.

I liked this one, it's also free
http://store.steampowered.com/app/435030/Lost_Lands_Mahjong/

but! it limits your playtime, so if you want to play it for long, it's no good.

whatever you decide to play, don't play The Mahjong Huntress, that game is a cancer, not a mahjong (shanghai) game

edited: oh yeah almost forgot, Nightmares from the Deep series have Mahjong you can play instead of ho.
basically we have no really good mahjong or shanghai game on steam, a pity really.

Nevermind

Excited for the Evil Within 2! Hopefully the open world nature doesn't dilute the experience. My favorite part of the first was how varied each level was and how quickly things could change out of the blue.

I miss being able to play horror games easily, I beat all the Silent Hills quite young but now I have to be really high or something because otherwise my nerves get so shot I just have to stop or I feel sick. And that's without headphones.

Ludens

Banned
Started playing Candle again, it's a little gem in my opinion. It's a point and click...but even a platform, it's particular and the art is awesome. One of the best Daedalic title in my opinion.

dex3108

what can i say, it's a boring world with boring people in it talking about boring shit

how the shipment didn't arrive or how the vent broke down and it's gonna need repairs or how they're behind on their neuromod schedule is yeah, not very interesting

i like reading, when a game gives me a ton of text like this one (or much more like in rpgs and stuff) i like to go through it all, but it's like why did they even bother adding so much fluff, it's so mundane and pointless

i like the part about turning into a monster and rewriting your memory and talking to yourself from the past and imprinting your personality on a robot and whatever the hell is going on with the main story, it's just feels so sparse because the meat of the game is walking around looting and exploring and shit

aside from that, i am having a lot more fun now that i've unlocked a bunch of zero gravity areas and a bunch of powers. i really dislike the way you unlock powers in this game but turning into a mug and sneaking through cracks to enter previously inaccessible rooms is really fun, it's kind of my favorite thing about the game heh

That is not boring, that makes world more believe. Common human interaction and problems. Relationships between crew and all of that. Hell they managed to tie story about
D&D that crew played
with treasure hunt quest. There are lots of personal stories that make you know crew better even though they are mostly dead. More you explore more you paint the picture how was life on Talos before events. There is nothing boring about that.

But everybody is entitled to their opinion.

MissChief

I miss being able to play horror games easily, I beat all the Silent Hills quite young but now I have to be really high or something because otherwise my nerves get so shot I just have to stop or I feel sick. And that's without headphones.

Try playing it with 2 players. Take turns or something like that :)

Freezard

Finished Cuphead in 2 player on normal. Took us around 10 hours, really great value for the money. One of the most fun co-op games I've played for sure, although it isn't without its issues. The weapon and item balance is horrible for example. Will probably buy it on Steam one day to try to 100% it.

They give you step-by-step instruction, what do you need more? ��

I mean, give that instruction to someone new to PC gaming. That's the point of that thread.

Nioh news today

https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/914787441013293057

Complete version and PC version announcement?

"Everyone enjoying Nioh?"

That's their targeted audience, people who have played Nioh. :p

I'll double dip in a flash if it's PC announcement.

Edit: It seems that complete version has already been announced in Japan.

Lanrutcon

I would not mind PC Nioh. But please god don't drop it in Oct/Nov, there are already a million games to play atm.

Hektor

Would totally double dip the shit out of Nioh. It's literally just Diablo with Souls combat.

I wonder if JaseC is looking forward to it, since Saiorse is in the game.

Ludens

Banned
I just realized I own Front Mission Evolved on Steam, is the game any good? I'm interested in Left Alive, and this would be my first FM.

Sarcasm

As a person who played the soulsborne games I found nioh to be kind of boring.

Sure it has secrets like soulsborne but not really the same combat.

Then there is the loot showers.

Monooboe

So HumbleStore with the monthly 10% off makes that the cheapest for Steamworld Dig 2 right? Might bite on it, seems so good! Really liked the first one but felt it was little light, so think I might really like the second one.

Mifec

Nevermind

Excited for the Evil Within 2! Hopefully the open world nature doesn't dilute the experience. My favorite part of the first was how varied each level was and how quickly things could change out of the blue.

The main story beats and the later half of the game game are still like that. The open world is something you can explore between those parts to stock up on ammo(or waste it) and to have spooky sidequest experiences.
I played the vanilla version and it's so much better than Souls in my opinion.

Level design and monster variety made me burn out by the desecrated castle level. It has serious issues with that.

Jawmuncher

I fully expect it to just be a GOTY edition on PS4 for Nioh. I would like to get it on PC though. Only title i've really skipped this year that appeals to me.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
wanting Nioh on PC is the biggest monkey paw scenario since Marvel vs Capcom Infinite

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Cashtronauts -- MB-766E1012E3A454FD - Taken by Vuze
Rising Runner -- MB-041A28B7F530E32D - Taken by Jalal

Lain

Chuck! Why didn't you tell me Dieselmine had another game coming?!

Legend of Fainn Dynasty ~Battles of Beautiful Warlords~

And looks like SakuraGames too added another game to the long list.

Element Hime

Pin-Point joins Steam too... how long before we get some Lilith games?
Still this is not the way I wanted to see Steam-by-Night materialize (because I like my lewd smut well translated and edited).

In other news, Princess Serena is going to get a remade translation. Hopefully they also fix all the shit wrong with it too when that translation goes live in the future.

Mivey

finally, thief (which is probably my favorite immersive sim game btw) was also a game without an inventory, without a skill tree and with discrete levels, and it's unequivocally one of the poster childs of the genre. the immersive sim genre is one you can stretch a lot i feel, and you can feel its essence in all sorts of games, from metal gear solid 5 to stalker, and i think being dogmatic about it really robs us from seeing how far it can be taken
Actually, Thief is an interesting example. Warren Spector, who worked on Thief, but not as a director, didn't actually like a lot of the restriction that Thief put forward, and from a design perspective Deus Ex is his answer to it. So I would argue that while Thief certainly shares a lot of DNA with those other games, it's bit of an exception (which is not to say that I don't absolutely adore it, but it does restrict player freedom, since you are a thief, who is most powerful in the shadows). So since "immersive sim" as a loose term is coined by Warren Spector, I would say that Thief is not it's "poster child" (though he made one himself, but clearly didn't want to change too much about it's formula).

Furthermore, I don't think me liking more traditional approaches like Prey compared to the streamlined action game that is BioShock is in any shape or form "dogmatic". It's great to see other games taking clues from them, but I still cherish the fact that we do get those more coherent experiences that simply focus on making better immersive sims, living up to the design goals of putting player choice first.
I love RPG games, and yet obviously just having more games with "RPG mechanics" is a poor replacement for me wanting to play actual RPG games. I also like PnC adventure games. Just because games would start to have more puzzles, where you combine objects in hilariously illogical ways, wouldn't make actual adventure games superfluous.
In that same vein, there are only ever two, maybe three companies that make, what I would understand as, immersive sims. Eidos Montreal will likely not get their hand on this genre again, so that leaves Arcane, Otherside Entertainment (made up of a lot of Looking Glass people) and also Night Dive Studios (though no real track record on them, looking forward to see how the remake will turn out). And of these, Arcane had a few bombs recently, so their focus might also change if Bethesda wants it.

So having the prospect of essentially not getting these games for many years again, if they just do not sell, it's rather hard for me to "rejoice" that other games might take a few elements from immersive sims. I don't want morsels, I want the whole damn beef, dammit!
I think I understand better where you are coming from, but for me Prey is the more traditional thing, and BioShock merely the diet coke version of it. I like one (except the ending of BioShock), but adore the other.
EDIT:
Just read up on you just chalking up all the great audio logs and other bits of writing as "boring science talk". I'm not going to be condescending, zkylon. I'll just point out that I could make some condescending comments here. So there.

Vuze

Nioh on PC would be dope but on the other hand its KT so it will be awful. But perhaps if they don't mess up completly, I imagine there might be enough interest by fans to fix it. Not holding my breath for a PC announcement tho

Top Bottom