• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Steam down with DDOS threat by Phantom Squad on Nov 3

Feb 4, 2013
We had been getting complaints through our Steam outage checker and now we have discovered that a Steam DDOS attempt may have been successful by hacking group ‘Phantom Squad’

http://www.product-reviews.net/2016/11/03/steam-down-with-ddos-threat-by-phantom-squad-on-nov-3/

Joey Ravn

Banned
Sep 5, 2012
Spain
www.resetera.com
There are so many more worthy endeavors out there in the world today that DDOSing Steam seems like a waste of time. Why not put your efforts into something that actually changes something?

Then again, I doubt that these people are capable of doing anything productive at all.

ThreePiMatt

Jan 6, 2013
When they say "down" they mean, "kicked a bunch of people off." And when they say "all day" they mean 'two hours."

Kyrios

Aug 11, 2015
Are they called Phantom Squad because you can't tell if they are attacking or not?

Literally just signed on Steam with no problems.

synce

Sep 18, 2012
I recall it was offline for about 2 minutes earlier today, I guess that's why

MUnited83

For you.
Dec 14, 2013
Steam is down for a little bit, script kiddies start to claim it was them who did it. Like clockwork.

Sakujou

Banned
Oct 22, 2012
why do they attack steam?

btw. they are right.

people should play more on nintendo systems.

kagamin

Jun 4, 2015
why do they attack steam?

btw. they are right.

people should play more on nintendo systems.

Pokemon isn't out yet, I mean I should be playing Dragon Quest VII but I'm really dragging my feet with Grandia II and I really need to finish that before I start another JRPG.

JC Lately

Apr 12, 2013
Steam probably sees more traffic during a seasonal sale than whatever these guys could cook up anyway.

Nzyme32

May 23, 2013
Well, their definition of all day being just over an hour is pretty wonky then. Even better, the time at which they did it wasn't a particularly important one for me.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Jan 5, 2008
It was down for a couple minutes earlier, nothing major. Either they fucking suck at what they're doing, or they saw Steam was down and just took credit for it. Either way, they're scrubs.

May 15, 2013
There are so many more worthy endeavors out there in the world today that DDOSing Steam seems like a waste of time. Why not put your efforts into something that actually changes something?

Then again, I doubt that these people are capable of doing anything productive at all.

They're script kiddies, they don't have the talent to do anything significant.