• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Greenlight: 1000 games and counting, more Greenlit every few weeks

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Project Zomboid
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92916900&searchtext=

Zombies might be played out, but this sounds pretty cool.

Sandbox zombie survival game.
Story mode that also serves as first ever tutorial actively trying to kill you at every turn.
Full line of sight system and real-time lighting, visibility mechanics. Hide in the shadows and keep the lights off at night, or at least hang sheets over the windows.
Only goal is to survive, you make your own story.
Ever expanding town to explore, loot or set up your fortress.
Meet and join up with NPCs to eat all your food and potentially get you killed, just for a shot at surviving a horde.
Use tools to craft weapons, barricades, food recipes and even build zombie proof forts by chopping trees, sawing wood and scavenging supplies.
Deal with depression, boredom, hunger, thirst and illness while trying to survive.
Lots of zombies with swarm mechanics and in-depth visual and hearing systems.
Real zombies that don't run about or climb across ceilings!
A ton of amazing atmospheric music tracks by the prodigy that is Zach Beever.
Full open and powerful Lua modding support.
Thriving mod community bringing features such as cannibalism, air strikes and farming for food.
Character customization and progression, skills and perks that develop based on what you do in-game.
Linux support too, assuming of course Steam is headed that way at some point.

All of that sounds great. The alpha is already available on not-Steam so I might as well check out the demo.

"Cool idea, but looks too clunky and ugly for Steam." from the comments. WTF. Honestly, I think XBLIG/WP's process is better than Project Greenlight at the moment. Valve really needs to step in and set expectations for the service (both for developers AND for "reviewers") as well as provide a much better UI (one that doesn't encourage downvotes to clear the list of things to consider, for example). Just really disappointing so far, but I know it is early.

Getting that comment on Greenlight while most of your other games are selling on Steam already might hurt the self-esteem. Especially after breaking up with the publisher who put those games there.

HoosTrax

Not sure if this is a repost or not, but FYI for developers who have works-in-progress:

conceptsr.png

Kind of surprised that Greenlight was released as gold, instead of having closed beta initially.

Carm

Rating list seems to have bugged out for me. It's saying there is no more games to rate, but I know I didn't rate them all and the number has increased that I have to rate.

Edit: Yep, I'm bugged out. That FleetCOMM : Operation Vigrior doesn't even show up when searching for it in the Steam client.

people thinking Postal 2 was a fake submission and reporting it got it removed, even though it was real and from the developer.

:/

SeduceMe was a real game (even if it seemed a little boring) uploaded by the real authors and only becuase it had sex scenes was flagged and removed.

I didnt upvote that game because it wasnt my cup of tea, but trolling and valve's still incompetence in the background system (seems like the same monkeys doing the old job are the ones that are taking the flaged games down) needs to stop for this to start working right.

Blizzard

Banned
Calling Valve employees monkeys seems really rude to me, especially if you want to sell games on the system (not sure if you personally do, but yeah). Not to mention, they've been really quick to take care of a lot of the troll/spam/junk entries, correct? If having a sex game get removed is the price to pay for that, I'm happy with that.

Getting that comment on Greenlight while most of your other games are selling on Steam already might hurt the self-esteem. Especially after breaking up with the publisher who put those games there.

Ignoring the AGEOD v. Paradox angle, though, the comment was just off-base. The game looks fine, and a certain level of clunkiness is expected in any grand strategy title. It looks (I can't judge the clunkiness, however) as good as or better than several currently available on Steam strategy titles.

That's actually great to hear.

Yeah, that's great. Hopefully "concept" in this case encompasses the alpha (and maybe beta) phases of development as well (or even better, have separate categories). XBLIG/WP has games for peer review versus games for playtest and it works great.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
I actually wrote a discussion on there because of how bad ratings for games that might look maybe a little bit like they were made in Flash as instant down vote with rude comments like any old chump can make a good Flash based game.

Something like Binding of Isaac or VVVVV stood a chance to never get accepted if they were on Greenlight and depended on it.
The thing is that games like Machinarium, Samorost and VVVVVV are honestly quite nice-looking. The problem is that most Flash games use vector graphics with notoriously poor line quality. If you're a vector artist, you really need to take the time to outline the same way you would ink an illustration and ensure that those lines contribute to a cohesive whole. If you don't, then even if the game isn't actually in Flash it's still going to make people think "newgrounds amateur hour" and be derided.

Vector artists should strive for something like THIS, or something like THIS for fixed-width lines. (Lysol Jones doesn't work in vectors, but the idea kinda gets across I hope.)

HoosTrax

The thing is that games like Machinarium, Samorost and VVVVVV are honestly quite nice-looking. The problem is that most Flash games use vector graphics with notoriously poor line quality. If you're a vector artist, you really need to take the time to outline the same way you would ink an illustration and ensure that those lines contribute to a cohesive whole. If you don't, then even if the game isn't actually in Flash it's still going to make people think "newgrounds amateur hour" and be derided.

Vector artists should strive for something like THIS, or something like THIS for fixed-width lines. (Lysol Jones doesn't work in vectors, but the idea kinda gets across I hope.)
Misuse of gradient shading is another big pet peeve of mine. I'm not sure what the back end used in A Valley Without Wind was, but the overall look was very offputting to me, despite the interesting gameplay premise.

SeduceMe was a real game (even if it seemed a little boring) uploaded by the real authors and only becuase it had sex scenes was flagged and removed.

I didnt upvote that game because it wasnt my cup of tea, but trolling and valve's still incompetence in the background system (seems like the same monkeys doing the old job are the ones that are taking the flaged games down) needs to stop for this to start working right.

Any game with explicit sexual content is not going to be put on Steam. They were right to remove that game. And before you say it, no, Bioware games do not fall in that category. They are cable TV sex scenes at best. If the content would land the game an AO rating by the ESRB it won't be getting on Steam.

Calling Valve employees monkeys seems really rude to me, especially if you want to sell games on the system (not sure if you personally do, but yeah). Not to mention, they've been really quick to take care of a lot of the troll/spam/junk entries, correct? If having a sex game get removed is the price to pay for that, I'm happy with that.

Im not calling the employees monkeys as an insult, I wanted to use it as a description of what the process was to select games before greenlight, we know they didnt do a good job trying to select games on the first place and came to this.
I think is pretty staight forward to discern a bad game from a good one of the giant list we can already see. And you have to think, they didnt get all of this concepts, they actually receive finished builds mostly, and much less, real troll attempts we are having here.
Im pretty sure with only a little knowledge of videogames you can know receiving a final build with stats, and all the details valve needed, to get selected.

And they are still doing the same, come on, it isnt that hard to see if the flagged game was a real game, its pretty obvious.
Not totally the fault of the people selecting this games, but more of the system they are trying to build right now, that is creating all this problems and that have very easy solutions.
I think the best thing for them right now is take down greenlight and uploaded it again when they feel they have made the improvements were all this problems dont happen. (with the same games already uploaded still there of course)

Any game with explicit sexual content is not going to be put on Steam. They were right to remove that game. And before you say it, no, Bioware games do not fall in that category. They are cable TV sex scenes at best. If the content would land the game an AO rating by the ESRB it won't be getting on Steam.

They need to get some rules on the faq fast then.

Sounds good man, let's get some transparency going here. Marvin's Mittens has got, as of writing, a neat 60% up, 40% down right now. I find that shocking, as on a YouTube of the Internet you wouldn't get nearly that many down votes.

Those "belongs on newgrounds" comments are kind of out control. GAF knows this but awesome shops, like Jakub & co. at Amanita Design, produced Machinarium in Flash. :)

People are getting mad about the comments on their game and the votes. The system might have a problem there.

Here is an example. Warning, Reddit!

HoosTrax

People are getting mad about the comments on their game and the votes. The system might have a problem there.
Wouldn't these developers run into similar issues, should they actually be accepted to the service though? (Potentially buyers, not voters, formulating judgments of an unknown game based on first impressions)

Also, two months working on a game?

Mairu

Seriously. I don't know if the issue is that Russian are somehow more dense on average than the typical Steam audience, or if there isn't a Russian language version of the Green Light page.

As it is, I wish I had a script that would auto-downvote on:
- Russian language found in the description
- wall of text with no newlines in the description
- no trailer
- mention of "iOS" anywhere in the description
- submitting party has a brony avatar
- submitting party is using a free, non-Premium Steam account
- submitting party has profile disabled

I tentatively think this might be a good idea. But with the additional stipulations that if the game is accepted or the author voluntarily pulls the game, then the submission fee is refunded. If the game is removed due to violating any of the terms, the fee is forfeit.

I'd love a script like this :p

The best option is a nominal fee for greenlight submissions I think

Wouldn't these developers run into similar issues, should they actually be accepted to the service though? (Potentially buyers, not voters, formulating judgments of an unknown game based on first impressions)

Also, two months working on a game?

I believe that most submitter who somehow completes the Greenlight challenge will be deeply disappointed to see no sale at all. So Greenlight is a way to connect with potential players, the problem is neither side knows how this can work. The game developers feel overly protective about their games and the voters expect finished games with great quality. When they clash we'll get youtube comments with occasional goodies from voters side and again random "flash/ios games"* with some occasional good ones. The quest is to find that good ones.

*I used the word flash/ios game not to belittle flash or ios but to point out the games created in half hour with nothing of worth and the obvious clones. We may need a new term for that kind of game because obviously calling them flash games is injustice while great flash games exist.

Okay, we got the go from Stump to make a collection called "GAFfer Steam Greenlight Collection".

I'm gonna put up the collection in a few minutes

If you are a developer and have submitted a game on Steam Greenlight send me a PM with the Steam Greenlight link to your game

Maybe, just maybe, we can use the GAF logo as well but in the meantime feel free to post any suggestions since my photoshop skills are pretty limited.

GenkiPatton

Neo Member
Quick plug for Eryi's Action:

jacket_w.png

Homepage: http://eryisaction.com/
Steam Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92915524

Please check it out, play the demo(!) and vote it up if you like it.

A few points to contribute to the discussion:

Being the type of game it is, Japanese gamers' opinion about Eryi's Action tended to be polarized into 'love it' and 'hate it' groups, but most of the people who loved it REALLY loved it and scored it with max points. Unfortunately, Steam GL process doesn't capture that level of data.

Eryi's has had a couple of "this belongs on newsgrounds" comments. Given how widespread this is, I wonder if a few people haven't gone around various games pasting that comment as they go.

I agree with the impression that the Binding of Isaac and Braid would have really struggled or else not stood a chance if they were first presented on Greenlight.

So it seems a game needs >120k Favorites (or equivalent) to reach 100% rating level... I'm trusting that's a tentative level set by Valve & they'll adjust it as more appropriate / realistic levels become apparent...

Razek

Banned
Seriously. I don't know if the issue is that Russian are somehow more dense on average than the typical Steam audience, or if there isn't a Russian language version of the Green Light page.

- no trailer

I tentatively think this might be a good idea. But with the additional stipulations that if the game is accepted or the author voluntarily pulls the game, then the submission fee is refunded. If the game is removed due to violating any of the terms, the fee is forfeit.

What does this have to do with the quality of a game being released?

- no trailer

There's actually a lot of quality games coming from there and it's not fair to write them off as junk. They're not all Angry Birds clones.

HoosTrax

There's actually a lot of quality games coming from there and it's not fair to write them off as junk. They're not all Angry Birds clones.
Yeah it wasn't implying a judgement on quality or production values, it's more of a personal taste as far as the art/HUD style, controls, and gameplay simplicity. In the same vein, some people are really just not interested in visual novels, or anything with anime artwork.

If there was a third option besides just upvote / downvote, it'd be fitting for things like this.

RedSwirl

...The Witcher 2?

Just sayin'.

Glass, here's a couple more that involve GAF members:

La-Mulana:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93001822&searchtext=

Fly'n:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92925091&searchtext=

Yeah it wasn't implying a judgement on quality or production values, it's more of a personal taste as far as the art/HUD style, controls, and gameplay simplicity. In the same vein, some people are really just not interested in visual novels, or anything with anime artwork.

If there was a third option besides just upvote / downvote, it'd be fitting for things like this.

I've actually not downvoted anything. If it's something that doesn't seem to fall into my interest I just ignore it and move on. Unless it's a game made by somebody else that a person put up, or a major game like Battlefield 3 that is obviously not EA.

Blizzard

Banned
Did the Witcher 2 receive an AO rating?
I don't know of even the Witcher/Witcher 2 featuring genitalia in the way that the Seduce Me screenshots indicated.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Witcher/Witcher 2 are RPGs with occasional instances that show nudity. Maybe I'm crazy here -- isn't the entire point of Seduce Me to uh, seduce the women for sexual purposes? Not quite the same. :p

I don't know of even the Witcher/Witcher 2 featuring genitalia in the way that the Seduce Me screenshots indicated.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Witcher/Witcher 2 are RPGs with occasional instances that show nudity. Maybe I'm crazy here -- isn't the entire point of Seduce Me to uh, seduce the women for sexual purposes? Not quite the same. :p

Yes the Witcher 2 sex scenes are as mild as Bioware's. Having nudity isn't enough to get a game an AO warning. Its explicit sexual acts.

MrBig

I've used steam for quite a while and I have no idea what you're referring to here?

e: seems that it's to differentiate people who actually have games on their account and those who make throw away accounts. I had assumed Valve made some terrible mistake. Nevermind then.

inm8num2

Also, when you advance to the next page of projects, some of them repeat. So, the random sorting resets each page view and you end up viewing duplicates while potentially missing others.

Great interface!

HoosTrax

I've used steam for quite a while and I have no idea what you're referring to here?
If you own no games on Steam but have a Steam account (for example if you only play the F2P titles on Steam without buying anything from cash shop), then you have a free account. Anyone else, including people who started playing TF2 after it went F2P but have bought something from Mann Co, has a premium account.

(no it's not referring to a monthly sub for a Steam account :p, didn't mean to cause concern)

Top Bottom