• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Greenlight: 1000 games and counting, more Greenlit every few weeks

RedSwirl

Yeah they really need to have some kind of verification system to prevent fraud - and maybe take the part of the FAQ explaining that Greenlight isn't a wishlist, and put it on the front page.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm very happy for you if you have ever found a game with a 50 or below metacritic score fun.

Just on Xbox 360, not counting any other platforms:
I find the CSI games to be passable (not excellent or anything), and the most recent of those has a sub-50 MC. I enjoyed Darkest of Days quite a lot, and that's got around a 50 on PC and below a 50 on 360. Hole in the Wall Kinect is fun for a party game but mindbogglingly hard, 45 MC. Mass Effect Pinnacle Station was passable although outrageously overpriced on release, 48 MC. Duke Nukem Forever--not a great game, again, but I had a good time playing through it. 48 MC. Kinect Joy Ride, passable, 52. Eat Lead, broken as hell but I still had a good time, 52. Rise of Nightmares; total cheese and so janky, very fun. 54. Burger King: Pocketbike Racer -- I had a great time, 54. Fable Heroes -- fun button masher, good with company, 55.

*shrugs*

Tell me it's an error that the game says it has 0% of the required positive ratings. This game is awesome, is made by an awesome guy, and it's a great example of how Greenlight should help make worthy content available to Steam players.

everything says 0% or 1%--they haven't set a threshold properly yet.

268x268.resizedimage

Worst branding image so far?

Our resident MRORANGE made this (better looking) picture for the GAFfer Collection with the perfect colour scheme:

We've reached page 2 of the collection pages which is good assuming they're ranked by popularity? :lol

inm8num2

Games with 5000 views have 1% of the necessary positive votes. If we extrapolate, that's a hell of a lot of views (500k) to reach pending status.

Greenlight really needs more sorting options, and they need to show the % upvotes under each project image in the browsing pages.

HoosTrax

I think they added tabs for Friend's Favourites and items, pretty handy way to surface the good stuff.
That's great. Too bad I haven't been able to vote since this morning, for the third time.

This is going to sound really anal...but capitalize the "action" Genre ffs!

Jakeh111

05235E7904AC8529DBB20177BA397928C44FA357

May I suggest Gnomoria if it hasn't already been talked about. If you're a fan of Dwarf Fortress you should check it out. I got to play the alpha some and enjoyed what I have seen so far!

Vastag

May I suggest Gnomoria if it hasn't already been talked about. If you're a fan of Dwarf Fortress you should check it out. I got to play the alpha some and enjoyed what I have seen so far!

I have played the alpha also and is a very fun game. Unlike dwarf fortress it is very accesible. The developer is also really involved and adds new things every Tuesday.

wrowa

I really dislike the downvoting system. I already see in front of my eyes that in a few weeks time, Greenlight will be "ruled" by a group of jerks who downvote everything that doesn't fit their agenda.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I really dislike the downvoting system. I already see in front of my eyes that in a few weeks time, Greenlight will be "ruled" by a group of jerks who downvote everything that doesn't fit their agenda.

Yeah, people should just be able to vote for games they want on Steam.

I have the downvoting too. I do want a hide or ignore option though, sick of seeing the front page cluttered with stuff I've seen and have no interest in.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I have the downvoting too. I do want a hide or ignore option though, sick of seeing the front page cluttered with stuff I've seen and have no interest in.

Well, it doesnt hurt you to vote for those games right? Downvote only stuff that is obviously trash, and all other somewhat games get a vote from me. Almost all these games are worth playing for someone.

I'm sorry but I won't upvote for something I wont buy or I'm not actually interested in, what's would be the point in doing that?
Give indie games a chance? Well why is that my responsibility if im not the target audience, surely this system is in place to find that audience.
I have downvoted quite a few games and will continue to review it on a game by game basis.
Again though there are a few game on green light I have already bought via developers and will vote for the to have increased userbase potential.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm sorry but I won't upvote for something I wont buy or I'm not actually interested in, what's would be the point in doing that?
Give indie games a chance? Well why is that my responsibility if im not the target audience, surely this system is in place to find that audience.
I have downvoted quite a few games and will continue to review it on a game by game basis.
Again though there are a few game on green light I have already bought via developers and will vote for the to have increased userbase potential.
The idea isn't to upvote games if you're not the audience, usually. The idea is to not have to downvote a game just because you wouldn't personally play it, which is why we should have a button that's like "not interested" instead of actively downvoting (which would be reserved for terrible quality or whatever).

Downvoting is either the not interested button we require or simply not voting at all acts as that, I am contemplating the latter if im honest because downvoting could prevent an audience from receiving the chance to play, then again that audience should be upvoting and showing support. Its all a early days at the moment.
I looked at something that had like 20,000 unique views and only about 3,000 Likes, that means 17,000 either downvoted or didn't vote at all.

wrowa

But how is a game supposed to find that audience when all the people who aren't the audience downvote it?

Of course, promising games in popular genres wont have that problem, but I think that quality games that cater to a niche audience could have a very hard time on the service. The developers have to fight an uphill battle not only to get enough people interested but also get enough people to out balance the people who downvote it.

Though, I don't know how the system actually works. Maybe the downvotes don't actually do a thing apart of setting a flag that tells Valve to take a closer look at the game or whatever.

Catshade

But how is a game supposed to find that audience when all the people who aren't the audience downvote it?

Of course, promising games in popular genres wont have that problem, but I think that quality games that cater to a niche audience could have a very hard time on the service. The developers have to fight an uphill battle not only to get enough people interested but also get enough people to out balance the people who downvote it.

Though, I don't know how the system actually works. Maybe the downvotes don't actually do a thing apart of setting a flag that tells Valve to take a closer look at the game or whatever.

If people who aren't the audience can find the game and downvote it, then people who are the audience can find the game and upvote it.

Blizzard

Banned
If people who aren't the audience can find the game and downvote it, then people who are the audience can find the game and upvote it.
Because by definition, games with small (but dedicated) groups of fans will be outnumbered by people who aren't fans of that niche genre. So, if you have a ton of people who want to play Call of Duty and Angry Birds, and only a few who want to play turn-based strategy, you might end up with say, 10% upvotes and 90% downvotes on a game. So ideally, Valve should only consider the upvotes, or else add a "not interested" option so it doesn't go by a percentage scale.

I'd rather they add more/better genres. "Action" and "Adventure" are way too broad.

That's true for Steam on a whole. Look at "Action" on the store front, you'll find Dark Souls, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and Super Crate Boy all categorised together. They need to have more specific genre entries on a whole.

Top Bottom