• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Greenlight: 1000 games and counting, more Greenlit every few weeks

Wok

Is the pace for Greenlight on par with their previous approval process? Because I'm not feeling good at all about the amount of games that are in a waiting queue when they really should be sold in the store already.

Ten games per month is a pace difficult to sustain.

Edit: Dream is a student entry for IGF 2013! I did not realize it was made by students (University of Huddersfield) when I saw it greenlit!

I don't get how games that are years from being finished are green lite, some with weak polling number, and yet finished games from major developers with decent upvotes just languish.

Gaspode_T

The fact that there are face melting level awesome games like Escape Goat and La Mulana struggling in the lists means the system is a failure for the purpose of greenlighting the right games, meaning that I think lots of the games that missed the last selection deserved to be selected instead (sometimes letting popular opinion win alone is not enough when the vocal minority dominates)

Gintoki

I don't get how games that are years from being finished are green lite, some with weak polling number, and yet finished games from major developers with decent upvotes just languish.

2/30 current greenlight games have been released. Just shows you badly planned it is.

Platy

The fact that there are face melting level awesome games like Escape Goat and La Mulana struggling in the lists means the system is a failure for the purpose of greenlighting the right games, meaning that I think lots of the games that missed the last selection deserved to be selected instead (sometimes letting popular opinion win alone is not enough when the vocal minority dominates)

It would be a failure if they were a tool to make indie games more known ... but they are searching for more marketeable games and games that will likely sell more.

If you can't do the market for your game and people look at your game and don't want to buy ... than don't matter if you game is the best thing since Super Mario Bros.

Gaspode_T

I mean that I think 5,000 rabid fans from a single forum can skew the results of voting if those are the only people who are bothering to vote (or else why would a game like Slender get so many votes, same for some other PC style games) The console style games are at a disadvantage, as are anything that remotely looks like a mobile game. What is interesting is that Valve is releasing both anyway, even though those have poor performance in Greenlight you see games like Giana Sisters (platformer) or 7 Wonders (match-3) coming straight from traditional approval process.

Nabs

A friend at Valve says they aren't forcing people to Greenlight, but skipping Greenlight is really only for games/developers with a following now.
Still doesn't explain Shantae I guess.

We don't know that development of a PC port has even started. They could be using it as a way to see if it's even worth putting time into.

Sentenza

2/30 current greenlight games have been released. Just shows you badly planned it is.
I still think they should allow submissions just for titles ready to ship.

It would be better for everyone involved: developers who actually need to ship now wouldn't compete with hundreds of (potentially) very appealing but extremely incomplete concept products, people willing to dedicate their time to voting stuff on GL wouldn't be forced to browse through hundreds of new entries every week (sometime very hard to judge as very early in development) and so on.

We don't know that development of a PC port has even started. They could be using it as a way to see if it's even worth putting time into.
They should definitely made some extra effort to promote the idea, then.
They are on Greenlight with just an iOS trailer and I can't say I noticed any attempt to talk about their game on dedicated PC gaming sites like RPS/Eurogamer/PC gamer or Youtube shows like Total Biscuit's one.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

I don't think you understand the process of releasing a game. Afterfall: Insanity is a completed game that has been released in retail. After being greenlit they are going through and adding in all the relevant Steamworks features for a singleplayer game. This process is taking them a little over a month.

Gintoki

I don't think you understand the process of releasing a game. Afterfall: Insanity is a completed game that has been released in retail. After being greenlit they are going through and adding in all the relevant Steamworks features for a singleplayer game. This process is taking them a little over a month.

Makes sense. I've seen a couple of games are releasing this month.

It would be a failure if they were a tool to make indie games more known ... but they are searching for more marketeable games and games that will likely sell more.

If you can't do the market for your game and people look at your game and don't want to buy ... than don't matter if you game is the best thing since Super Mario Bros.

I see a lot of comments about this, but I really think this is the absolute worst way to go about things in my opinion.

I am against the idea that devs need to drive outside traffic to their greenlight page. Yes of course that is important but there are a lot of pitfalls that people are missing when they say this.

For one you need to drive traffic of already registered Steam users in order for it to make any sort of a difference. They have a closed system in which only their paying customers can vote so it doesn't really follow logically that driving outside traffic will have a big effect. There are of course exceptions such as maybe advertising on a PC centric site like Rock Paper Shotgun or using synergy with a Kickstarter project as I believe there is overlap there.

I have personally handled a bunch of e-mails from La-Mulana fans who bought on WiiWare and want to help support the game getting on Steam. But they aren't Steam users so they have no say(people forget that yes Steam is big but it is still just a tiny fraction of the overall game market.) This could provide a nice large influx of votes for La-Mulana, but the system is closed so it isn't possible to make use of these interested gamers. Now I understand why the put the voting criteria in place and I don't think they should make it a free-for-all, but I do think that if they created a closed system based around voting then there is a responsibility to provide incentives and reasons for their users to participate.

I just see a large disconnect between making a completely closed system where only Steam customers can vote but then expecting the developers to provide outside traffic.

There is also the fact that no one can keep marketing at full capacity forever. It just is not possible unless you have bundles of cash as interest will fall off and consumers will forget. In my opinion that could be money better spent on marketing the product when it is actually available. I know it isn't a really popular position and most people will just reply with the likes of "damn indie amateurs expect to get rich overnight with no work" etc. but I think Steam needs to do something to drive interest in their own service.

Gintoki

Steam Greenlight Adds Announcements For Developers

Steam Greenlight has been updated with new features to help expand Greenlight as a community-building and communication tool for both developers and potential customers.

With this update, developers can post announcements to their Steam Greenlight pages to highlight updates, additions, and milestones. These announcements will also show up in the activity feed for anyone that has added that page to their favorites, enabling developers to directly keep in touch with their fans and potential customers.

Heres an example from my community page.

iZ2ljvHKQqAdJ.png

Rubius

I have so much free time at work that I rated over a thousand game so far, I have to wait a week before going back to get enough game to rate at once, or else its not fun .

Raxum

Someone buy it and tell us all about it!

Before I do. :/

I bought Towns on Desura ages ago and was playing it for a while, but have been distracted from it for the past few updates. It was a fun game when I played it, lots of options for building, sometimes difficult to get started and occasionally easy to die to invasions, but most maps are easy to start on, provided you manage your citizens correctly. Needed some work with animation when I played it as well, not sure if that's been fixed. Fun game nonetheless, especially if you like town simulations and micro-management with a pause button for when you're giving out commands.

Waiting to see if I get a Steam key for the game from my Desura purchase, otherwise I'll probably re-purchase the game for Steam.

Ventron

I remembered what happened to a game I made (which was luckily already released at the time). My laptop died, AND my backup harddrive failed, so I had to pay hundreds of dollars to a recovery lab to salvage what they could and reverse-engineer what they couldn't. :(

From that point on, I signed up for a private git repo! Lesson learned: being a one-man band is no excuse for not having version control.

Dragon's Lair is legit, Digital Leisure is the company that has ported it to every device in the last 5-10 years that connects to/has a screen.

ArjanN

Dragon's Lair is legit, Digital Leisure is the company that has ported it to every device in the last 5-10 years that connects to/has a screen.

This. I think it's been ported to about as many different machines as Doom.

Still a classic though. Wouldn't mind seeing that and their other stuff (Dragon's Lair II /Space Ace etc.) on Steam.

I really hope you're right about The Sea Will Claim Everything, Wok. It's become my personal game of the year and I think it deserves more exposure.

Wok

I really hope you're right about The Sea Will Claim Everything, Wok. It's become my personal game of the year and I think it deserves more exposure.

I am not a native English-speaker. By "I expect", I mean "I would like to see" because the game deserves it. If not in the next batch, one of the following batches.

KDR_11k

Valve really needs to take EVERYTHING that gets a good amount of votes. Far too many games are forced to go through Greenlight for any sort of top X approach to work, the number of GL games that should hit Steam rises faster than they are picked up. This is reaching NES/XBLA levels of insanity with the limited slots. As this goes on there will be tons of already outdated games coming to Steam because they've spent months after the release just waiting for approval.

Greenlight was supposed to detect games that have fallen through the cracks (after the whole Mutant Mudds thing where the game got rejected despite being fully worthy of being on Steam) but instead it has widened the cracks. It's getting harder to publish a game on Steam than at retail! This isn't healthy. When it's easier to get discs pressed, boxed, shipped and convince retailers with actual limited physical space to carry a game than to put it on a purely digital storefront something is seriously wrong.

Haunted

It looks like they're trying to make the process completely automated - rank top 100 by votes, greenlight top 10 of those every month - almost no screening required.

I disagree with that approach. I think Greenlight needs more human eyes to approve games more rapidly based on a mixture of both the old process and user votes. Nothing's worse than seeing deserving, fully finished titles miss the cross-promotion opportunities of their launch window because they're stuck in Greenlight submission hell.

So GAF, Holy Avatar vs Maidens of the Dead is on Greenlight. It's a spin-off of the terrible mildly interesting Fire Emblem-like Grotesque Tactics.

I don't know exactly why, but I loved that game. This one looks way better visually and aims to be a more traditional RPG.

This is sad, but I really think this is now my most anticipated game of all Greenlight :/ What's wrong with me, lol.

EDIT: Was looking through my favorites, and it looks like No Time to Explain is in the top 10 atm.

Top Bottom