• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Greenlight: 1000 games and counting, more Greenlit every few weeks

HoosTrax

Dawn of Fantasy - #2 as of Nov 7
Sangfroid - #5 as of Nov 15
Kinetic Void - #6 as of Nov 11
No Time to Explain - Top 10 as of Nov 8
Cradle - #24 as of Oct 23
Kingdom Rush - #25 as of Nov 6
Centration #27 as of Nov 7
Silent Storm - Top 50 as of Nov 8
Mutant Mudds - #59 as of Nov 16
Hoodwink series - #62 of Nov 16
Cognition: An Eric Reed Thriller #62 as of Nov 4

At least it probably won't be all shooters and zombie/horror games this time, fingers crossed.

Crub

Primordia hit the top 100.

This is one of SGL's failings imo. A game like this, which has rocketed up the charts, should be given the fast track to the store instead of automatically picking the top 10/20/whatever.

Yes! Also, those people are probably much more likely to actually buy the game they voted for than a person who upvotes a game found while randomly browsing the service.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
This is how Greenlight fails. I would have never have heard about that game if it wasn't for your random post on Neogaf.

Again, Greenlight isn't there to promote games as much as be a channel of submission. I don't agree with the recent change to all games going through Greenlight, but it is up to the developers and fans to get word out about games. Also there are ways you can find out about these games on Greenlight itself.

Just want to say I picked up Waking Mars from the humble bundle off of RPS' recommendation and it is fuckin' fantastic. Fun and engaging, great atmosphere, cool characters and shockingly solid VA.

EDIT: Controller support is a little iffy, especially with the menus, but I'm still using it because I just prefer controllers in general; it's good enough.

DTKT

Again, Greenlight isn't there to promote games as much as be a channel of submission. I don't agree with the recent change to all games going through Greenlight, but it is up to the developers and fans to get word out about games. Also there are ways you can find out about these games on Greenlight itself.

Sure but a traditional submission guarantees that you'll get at least one guy(who's job it is) to look at your game and figure out if it's a good fit.

My fear with Greelight is stuff getting left out. Not because it's bad, just because people miss it.

It's not very hard to add the Steam Greenlight new releases RSS to a feed reader if you have any interest in keeping up with new games on there. It's a pretty slow trickle, a few a day at most. Or just check the Greenlight section itself every few days.

Catshade

Since when was telling you about the game Steam's responsibility and not the developer's?

Lots of people discovered a new game they've never heard of when that game got featured on Steam's daily deal or midweek/weekend sales.

Sure it's not Steam's responsibility or obligation to do so, but telling us about the game you might've missed is part of what they've continuously done over the years through their regular sales/deals.

Dawn of Fantasy - #2 as of Nov 7
Sangfroid - #5 as of Nov 15
Kinetic Void - #6 as of Nov 11
No Time to Explain - Top 10 as of Nov 8
Cradle - #24 as of Oct 23
Kingdom Rush - #25 as of Nov 6
Centration #27 as of Nov 7
Silent Storm - Top 50 as of Nov 8
Mutant Mudds - #59 as of Nov 16
Hoodwink series - #62 of Nov 16
Cognition: An Eric Reed Thriller #62 as of Nov 4

At least it probably won't be all shooters and zombie/horror games this time, fingers crossed.

La Mulana - #30 as of Nov 21st

For some reason we have started dropping a few spots(we were 27 at the highest point.) Hopefully we bounce back up...

Blizzard

Banned
La Mulana - #30 as of Nov 21st

For some reason we have started dropping a few spots(we were 27 at the highest point.) Hopefully we bounce back up...
This is what I am afraid might happen if they only pull things off the top. A stream of games in more popular genres, or with more support behind them, might keep other games from hitting the top spots, maybe?

This is what I am afraid might happen if they only pull things off the top. A stream of games in more popular genres, or with more support behind them, might keep other games from hitting the top spots, maybe?

I mean it is very likely to happen. I don't think that the people claiming you have to continue to promote your game realize how hard that is to do for 3-4 months constantly. That is basically impossible unless you already have a large fan base.

Honestly the fact that they don't give out Steamworks API to people in the Top 100 makes no sense to me. It seems like it would make the whole process more efficient and also help separate the dedicated developers from the lazy ones.

Give the API to anyone in the Top 100 and give precedence to people who finish that implementation seems like a very reasonable fix to me.

Blizzard

Banned
I mean it is very likely to happen. I don't think that the people claiming you have to continue to promote your game realize how hard that is to do for 3-4 months constantly. That is basically impossible unless you already have a large fan base.

Honestly the fact that they don't give out Steamworks API to people in the Top 100 makes no sense to me. It seems like it would make the whole process more efficient and also help separate the dedicated developers from the lazy ones.

Give the API to anyone in the Top 100 and give precedence to people who finish that implementation seems like a very reasonable fix to me.
You know, for some reason I always used to think that Steamworks was free and that anyone could use it, even outside of Steam...I honestly didn't realize that you apparently have to be approved (through direct contact or Greenlight approval) before you can even use the tools.

I agree that giving the API to people in the top 100 seems like a good idea. :/

While it was intriguing at first, and there are several game I have voted for because I really, really want to see them on Steam (La-Mulana, which I bought on GOG, included), I find myself avoiding greenlight lately. I really don't want to do Valve's work for them. I understand using the system to help inform their decisions of which games to accept, but letting it dictate the process wholesale is absurd.

Furthermore, reading the past few comments, I don't think I want to vote for much in case voting on more popular games drives down the ones I want to see greenlit. Hopefully the next batch of accepted games is much bigger than the last two, because otherwise a ton of great games will never make it in.

It's a pity, as I really like what Steam has done for a bunch of great indie games, but it just seems like such an incredibly lazy and ultimately assbackwards move, especially when the system is still so unproven.

FyreWulff

You know, for some reason I always used to think that Steamworks was free and that anyone could use it, even outside of Steam...I honestly didn't realize that you apparently have to be approved (through direct contact or Greenlight approval) before you can even use the tools.

I agree that giving the API to people in the top 100 seems like a good idea. :/

Yup. I remember people telling me "go grab Steamworks!". You can't even get your hands on it unless Valve acknowledges you exist.

So I'll continue writing my own matchmaking/leaderboard stack, thankyouverymuch.

Imper1um

Neo Member
Hi guys! I remember some people here being excited about our game on Greenlight called Eador so I'll post some latest news if you don't mind.

1cnah.jpg

Firstly we are now accepting players to upcoming beta of the game. It will start early in December and you can find out all the details right here.

And we released yet another gameplay video for our Greenlight page. Hope you like it.

Alright i voted for Eador, looks sort of interesting in a mix between Advance Wars, King's Bounty and Civ way ;)

Also: loved that commentator's voice and accent in the videos... russian? yep :)

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Hi guys! I remember some people here being excited about our game on Greenlight called Eador so I'll post some latest news if you don't mind.

1cnah.jpg

Firstly we are now accepting players to upcoming beta of the game. It will start early in December and you can find out all the details right here.

And we released yet another gameplay video for our Greenlight page. Hope you like it.

Your game looks great.

I hope it gets approved in the next wave.

A little update about Waking Mars on Greenlight:

Last Chance to Humble!
22 November 2012 - geminiradio

Hey friends! A Happy Thanksgiving to our US-based fans out there!

A quick reminder: today is the last day to pick up Waking Mars as part of the Humble Indie Bundle along with a bunch of other excellent titles, so if you're wondering what we're all about, now's an excellent chance to check us out for peanuts!

In other news, we're up to #30 on Greenlight and still climbing every day, so please remember to tell your friends to vote for us so we can bring this great adventure to you on Steam later this year!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/updates/92975821/1353607334

KDR_11k

As long as the submission rate of good games is greater than the acceptance rate that is inevitable and I'm pretty sure there are more than 10 good games per month. That's why I'm so strongly opposed to any top X approach.

Yeah I saw a post about Eador on a previous page. Probably one of the best hidden gems I have seen in Greenlight. It has an amazing presentation and seems to be a unique take on the strategy genre.

I want in that beta!

1cnah.jpg

Looks fantastic. Good job. Already voted on it before, though. Trying to vote again.

IT WON'T LET ME.

Yeah unfortunately some of the new games are bumping people down and La-Mulana is around #31 now. Need to check again today once I finish all my other work.

Hopefully Steam will jump around the rankings and pick some games that are ready to go but I am not holding my breath.

Honestly if you are expected to keep marketing your game for 4-5 months constantly just to hold a spot in the ranking that is a glaring flaw in the system.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
According to community hub Miasmata seems to be a divisive game in the need of patches and MinerWars has always-online DRM + it remains the broken beta mess.

Check out community hub before buying new shit. The way it meant to be.

Honestly if you are expected to keep marketing your game for 4-5 months constantly just to hold a spot in the ranking that is a glaring flaw in the system.

Yeah that marketing window is really a couple weeks long total. If you ever got exposure prior to Greenlight's existence all you have left is Greenlight because games press is hardly going to run new stories on old games.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The Steam community might need to just choose 10 games by consensus to plug in greenlight and only focus on those for the month. Cuz right now all the titles just seem to be cancelling each other out in the fight to the top 10.

HoosTrax

Yeah unfortunately some of the new games are bumping people down and La-Mulana is around #31 now. Need to check again today once I finish all my other work.

Hopefully Steam will jump around the rankings and pick some games that are ready to go but I am not holding my breath.

That might require getting a little creative with the marketing. I'm not saying you should necessarily do this or what McPixel's creator did (although that was admittedly highly effective), but I will say that I would not have heard of La-Mulana at all if I wasn't on GAF, so the reception of the Greenlight user base is probably not surprising.

There has been zero mention of the game at the usual suspects RPS, PCG, Gamasutra, etc other than an article or two that predate the Greenlight push. Also, maybe use the Greenlight announcements feature (pushes announcements onto the community feeds of anyone who has a game on their favorites list) to keep from being forgotten.

Top Bottom