• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElRenoRaven

Just skip to 2. As many have already said there isn't much story to the games, but the L4D2 characters are significantly more interesting, the atmosphere and environment are more engaging, and companion AI isn't completely horrible. It isn't great by any means but it's nowhere near as bad as L4D1. I enjoyed both of 'em for their single player components, but I wouldn't go back to L4D1.

I know right :(

Odd. I think the L4D1 characters were a million more times interesting then the L4D2 characters. Also though as mentioned since all the L4D1 levels are or are coming to L4D2 you'll be getting both's stories that way.

jaask

IOq7A.jpg

Got lucky with my ninth achievement in total.

Don't hit me.

DaBuddaDa

This is a really terrible day for me. Games I already have or stuff I have no interest in. Dungeon Siege III for $20? Amazon had it for $6 yesterday DD..!

Odd. I think the L4D1 characters were a million more times interesting then the L4D2 characters. Also though as mentioned since all the L4D1 levels are or are coming to L4D2 you'll be getting both's stories that way.

I think L4D1's characters get closer to Valve's stated objective, that being to create rough sketches of characters people could identify with easily...but for someone playing for story the outside-the-box cast of L4D2 might be more engaging. I found that to be true, anyway. I mean, how many games out there let you play as a black woman?

cicero

So what are the best Total War games? I played Rome back in the day and loved the shit out of it (mostly the turn based overworld part...I suck at RTSs) but haven't touched the series since.

Also debating picking up the original Unreal Tournament for $2.50

Rome: Total War - Complete: $2.49
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/463/

Medieval II Gold: $2.49
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/460/

If it were me, I would pick up both. Brilliant deals and worth you are getting at $2.49 each. If you can just get one, I would go with Medieval II Gold.

EDIT: Not to forget Shogun 2 as well. I just bought the available DLC for that myself just now. Buy then all if possible, but avoid Empire & Napoleon Total War unless you are really into the history or something like that.

I would go Shogun 2 without hesitation.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger. The only other thing is that I hear that this series of games frequently eventually has packs containing all of the dlc. Hopefully it isn't set to be released like next week or something.

Foothills

Banned
Rome: Total War - Complete: $2.49
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/463/

Medieval II Gold: $2.49
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/460/

If it were me, I would pick up both. Brilliant deals and worth you are getting at $2.49 each. If you can just get one, I would go with Medieval II Gold.

EDIT: Not to forget Shogun 2 as well. I just bought the available DLC for that myself just now. Buy then all if possible, but avoid Empire & Napoleon Total War unless you are really into the history or something like that.

Why - are they bad?

cicero

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger. The only other thing is that I hear that this series of games frequently eventually has packs containing all of the dlc. Hopefully it isn't set to be released like next week or something.
The only upcoming DLC I know of is Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai. It is due sometime in 2012, no firm release date that I know of. I would buy Shogun 2 now. The value is there unless you don't plan on playing it and can stand waiting the Total War: Shogun 2 and the upcoming DLC down until the Summer Sale in six months.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Thinking about picking up Tomb Raider Anniversary, but... is there no way to get correct button prompts when using a 360 controller? The controller works just fine in the demo, but it's annoying to see keyboard prompts popping up. Seems lazy.

Psychonauts has the same problem, but there's a mod/patch which fixes that. Anything like that for this?

Still no opinions on Xotic? Nobody has spent much time with it?

I like the idea (kinda score attack FPS game) but the demo didn't do much for me. I know it's only $2.50 and all...

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
It is very tempting to sign back up with facebook now. But I wanted out due to the whole 'piramid scheme' feeling and I'm sticking with it.
Pyramid scheme? Okay, the first step is to not play any Facebook games and block all of them from your feed. Once you do that it's not a horrible way to keep up with your friends and family and organize events, etc.

Omiee

im getting the total war pack, but i was wondering is the man of war pack worth it?

is it a really good game?

also is the left4dead2 online community still alive?

The only upcoming DLC I know of is Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai. It is due sometime in 2012, no firm release date that I know of. I would buy Shogun 2 now. The value is there unless you don't plan on playing it and can stand waiting the Total War: Shogun 2 and the upcoming DLC down until the Summer Sale in six months.

Thanks again. Pulled the trigger. Knowing the nature of these sales, a version containing all the dlc will probably be cheaper than the price of buying all the dlc separate now.

Edit: Which brings the total spending for this year's winter sale to $42.63
I don't feel so bad considering that in days past I would have easily paid $60 for a single game.

Kabouter

First crafting: 50% off Demolition Inc.
Second crafting: 50% off VVVVVV
Third crafting: 50% off Demolition Inc.

And I'd already gotten 50% off Demolition Inc. from doing a regular 'ol achievement!
...and before all that I'd bought it for 75% off during this sale.

Traded one of the Demolition Inc. coupons away (to get the achievement) before I got the third one today though.

zlatko

Banned
Idk if I'm missing it or what, but when I check the first page of the topic, it never lists the name of the games, and just has the new image. I'd like to know the name of some of the titles while I'm at work, since some images aren't exactly tell taling for what game it is for.

No steam on my work PC either, so if someone would be kind enough to list the games for me I'd appreciate it. Oh and what the daily challenges are game wise for gifts.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Damn it!

I just did The Binding of Issac twice in a row from beginning to end and that stupid room after a boss fight never appeared, let alone having that boss for the achievement in it.

I HATE random things like this!

Why - are they bad?

Thanks again. Pulled the trigger. Knowing the nature of these sales, a version containing all the dlc will probably be cheaper than the price of buying all the dlc separate now.

Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai is a separate expansion. "DOES NOT require the base game Total War: SHOGUN 2 in order to play"

Source: http://www.totalwar.com/shogun2/fall-of-the-samurai

Me thinks that some units will be locked if you do not own Shogun 2...

thefro

Picked up both L4D games... think I'm going to get Bioshock when it goes on sale and maybe Super Street Fighter IV Arcade if it goes back on sale and that'll be it for this year.

Pyramid scheme? Okay, the first step is to not play any Facebook games and block all of them from your feed. Once you do that it's not a horrible way to keep up with your friends and family and organize events, etc.

that second bit is what I meant with pyramid scheme. :p

but seriously, it's just a huge waste of time while you are giving away your stuff / info / time for free. So that's why I got rid of it.

Today was kind to my wallet. Will probably grab Binding of Isaac and I might pick up Wasteland Angel. Is there a demo for Wasteland Angel?

Still waiting on dailies for:

The Hunted: Demon's Forge
Anno 2070
Dead Rising: Off the Record
Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes

Soi-Fong

Today was kind to my wallet. Will probably grab Binding of Isaac and I might pick up Wasteland Angel. Is there a demo for Wasteland Angel?

Still waiting on dailies for:

The Hunted: Demon's Forge
Anno 2070
Dead Rising: Off the Record
Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes

Starting to lose hope that Anno will get a sale..

KPJZKC

Do not under any circumstances buy Sword of the Stars 2. It's still borked, very few features in yet.

Damn you paradox for refusing me a refund, damn you to heeeeeeell

(I love Paradox)

EDIT

Preorder game, game is so fucked you play it like 30 minutes total, two months later game goes on sale for half price :(

Yobalt

I would like to know this as well, I have Shogun 2 with all the DLC attached for a grand total of...$13.65. I want to add more Total War, but have to hear more opinions about the other games.
There are some huge problems with the AI in Empire. Sure, the rest of the games have tons of problems as well but holy shit, Empire is fucking broken.

The AI in Empire generally fucks up during battles with fortresses (the ai can't figure where to attack and runs circles around the fortress), seabattles (they just derp around for a while until you massacre them), attacking fortifications (LET'S RUN OUR GENERAL INTO SOME STAKES) and attacking cities. When the ai attack cities they generally make a massive conga line and slowly walk into the city square and get gunned the fuck down.
The AI also can't place their cannon properly. Many a battle have I won because the enemy placed their cannon on the wrong side of a hill.

KPJZKC

Actually, question...just tried to pick up a four pack of Dungeon Defenders for friends, but it won't let me checkout with it...are you unable to buy four packs if you already own the game?

volturnus

Banned
Do not under any circumstances buy Sword of the Stars 2. It's still borked, very few features in yet.

Damn you paradox for refusing me a refund, damn you to heeeeeeell

(I love Paradox)

EDIT

Preorder game, game is so fucked you play it like 30 minutes total, two months later game goes on sale for half price :(
Is it still that fucked up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom