• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam In-home Streaming Officially Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I got one of the new Apple AC routers so I started testing games on this. There's an improvement but it still needs to be turned down res-wise and still constantly gives "slow encode/decode" warnings. This is the only thing happening on the network too. Are there ways to figure out how I can improve this, or is it a pretty automatic process?
What are the specs on the client and server computers. I don't think those warnings indicate a bottleneck involving the network.

Pejo

Holy shit, I didn't even realize this was a thing until i glanced and saw this thread pass by. I got everything up and running and i was getting an incredibly solid experience with Metro Last Light on my 3 year old HP Touchsmart laying in bed. How the hell this snuck up on me, i have no idea.

Oh man, this makes my idea to buy a Surface Pro 3 even more appetizing.....I must continue to play with this.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
What are the specs on the client and server computers. I don't think those warnings indicate a bottleneck involving the network.
It's a pretty capable mid-range with my amd fx4170 processor being the weakest link, streaming to a recent Mac Mini.

Weevilone

For this reason I'd go for a kit that offers higher theoretical throughput (200Mbps is at the lower end of the scale). Better safe than sorry.

I have had a bad experience with wireless AC so far, but I think it's some interference (oddly).

Having always been disappointed in the HomePlug stuff, I picked up a TP-Link 600Mb/s AV2 kit and it's absolutely amazing. I'm sure these are still very much YMMV but I'm completely impressed.

In a completely random bit of good luck, after my impulse buy I actually researched these and they seem quite well regarded.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-reviews/32454-tp-link-homeplug-head-to-head

Pejo

So I just fired up some Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed, Rayman Legends, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Dark Souls 2, Super SFIV AE, BlazBlue, and a few other games I had installed on my gaming PC, streamed them to my laptop with a mid range Belkin router. The gaming PC is wired into the router, laptop wireless G. Was using headphones too, on the laptop.

Wow what an awesome...awesome feature. it's probably just because of the better pixel density on my laptop screen but those games looked amazing. I didn't notice a bit of artifacting which is better than I even get in the same room from PS4 to Vita. I had the audio lose stereo a for a few seconds here and there, (only about 3 times total during my playtime) but otherwise a really great experience. I even plugged in my wired x360 controller into my laptop and was able to perform combos with no input lag issues on BlazBlue, didn't notice any lag on a single game that I played.

I'm still blown away that I just found out about this feature, and that it was given totally free of charge. This is a major game changer for me.

StAidan

I've been messing around quite a bit with finding the optimal home streaming setup with my hardware. The LAN requirement is a problem in my house, but I've experimented with very long ethernet cables and powerline adapters.

So far, I seem to get the best performance out of an 8-port gigabit switch (not router) that I was able to procure -- I tried a gigabit Netgear router and got considerably worse frame loss (15% vs. 0%) using that. I don't know whether it's just unoptimized firmware or what. Seems kind of silly that I'd have to use the switch for home streaming and the router for internet access, but whatever, I guess.

Input / display lag is also better over the powerline adapters than over a long ethernet cable alone, strangely enough. But even with all this experimentation, I'm still pretty much stuck with 720p @ 30fps streaming because the actual streaming box that's connected to my TV is a laptop with a 100mbps NIC. I've thought about trying a gigabit expresscard in it, but I'd have to buy one, which I'm hesitant to do without any guarantee in outcome.

AEREC

So Im getting a constant "slow capture" on my streaming client. Not sure if this is due to hardware or network...

My Setup:

Router: WRT54G2 v1

Host: Windows 8.1 / i7 / 8GB RAM / GTX 760 2GB (337.88 drvers) / wired connection @ 100 Mbps

Client: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS / i5 / shows 5.7 GB RAM / Intel HD 3000 / wired connection @ 100 Mbps

Hasney

So Im getting a constant "slow capture" on my streaming client. Not sure if this is due to hardware or network...

My Setup:

Router: WRT54G2 v1

Host: Windows 8.1 / i7 / 8GB RAM / GTX 760 2GB (337.88 drvers) / wired connection @ 100 Mbps

Client: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS / i5 / shows 5.7 GB RAM / Intel HD 3000 / wired connection @ 100 Mbps

I was getting the same using a Linux client. Switching back to Windows made that error go away.

dLMN8R

Do you think this device would be capable of 60 FPS @ 1080p?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KU54KPQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Looks like the cheapest device I can find. Way cheaper than NUC when considering the HDD+RAM is included and Windows 8 included.

I have this NUC:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HVKLSVC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

While you're right that the item you linked is cheaper, the CPU in the ASUS is far slower. I feel like mine can *barely* handle streaming smoothly.

beta client update:

Added support for NVIDIA hardware encoding for D3D9+ games on GeForce 650+ cards and the latest beta NVIDIA driver (340.43)
Added support for horizontal mouse wheel scrolling
Fixed YUV colorspace conversion when using DXVA2 hardware decoding
Disabled vsync while streaming for a smoother capture framerate
Fixed games detecting both local and streaming controllers; streaming controllers take precedence if they are connected.
Fixed being able to scroll the right and bottom edges of a map in certain resolutions
Fixed Steam crash streaming from a host with an i5-3450 CPU
Fixed streaming games from Steam when it has been put in Windows XP compatibility mode

twdnewh_k

My client is a intel NUC equipped with a haswell i5 and 8gb of ram.
My Host is running an i7 930, GTX 680 and 6gb ram.

All connected using gigabit.

Based on lots of testing I have realized that the experience depends on quite a few things:
- Resolution (biggest difference)
- The game itself
- Graphics settings
- Network (of course)

I am able to go 1080p 60fps on many games. In some cases I lower the graphic settings, but some games just player better than others even if they are less demanding.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I bought an i3 NUC. Hopefully 1080p will work with games, but I'm ready for 720p60 if they don't. Should come in the mail today! Excited to try it out.

beta client update:

Fixed software decoding performance with NVIDIA hardware encoding
Improved software decoding performance for clients with multiple CPU cores
Fixed infinitely increasing latency when the client can't decode quickly enough
Slow time reporting is now percentage of session time
Fixed flashing and low framerate when streaming Dark Souls II

Incredible, just tried my first 2 player co op Streaming game, via Trine 2, and it works just fine with 2 different gamepads and they both support rumble!!!

Only problem is that Trine 2 seems to crash after playing for like 15 minutes, I just get an "Unhandled Exception" error on the server and the client gets frozen, no idea if Streaming is doing it.

beta client update:

Reset hardware encoding setting to default off, to minimize surprises when NVIDIA encoding is unleashed on the world
Reset hardware decoding setting to default on for Windows and Linux, and default off for Mac OS X
Added the video encoder and decoder to the client performance display
Fixed race condition that could cause streaming connections to fail to connect with a timeout notification
Fixed rare streaming client crash
Fixed black screen when streaming D3D8 games
Fixed framerate display when there are many dropped frames

Miletius

There is about zero chance this will work at a decent level on my midrange MBA, is there? I didn't really buy it for that but if I'm curious to try it out.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
There is about zero chance this will work at a decent level on my midrange MBA, is there? I didn't really buy it for that but if I'm curious to try it out.
What version do you have? Regardless, it should definitely work. It does not take much power to stream. I imagine 1080p60 is out of the question, especially because I don't believe MBA have Ethernet, but definitely give it a shot. It takes almost nothing to get it running.

Miletius

I have the i5 1.4 ghz with 4 gigs of ram and a 13' screen.

I'll give it a shot and see what happens. So, I'll do as you recommend setting the resolution to something lower than 1080p, which should be fine since I don't plan on doing much gaming on it.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I have the i5 1.4 ghz with 4 gigs of ram and a 13' screen.

I'll give it a shot and see what happens. So, I'll do as you recommend setting the resolution to something lower than 1080p, which should be fine since I don't plan on doing much gaming on it.

I think you'll be surprised by how well it works. In the client options for In Home Streaming, select "Limit resolution to Desktop Resolution". I bet you get close to 60FPS depending on the quality of your WiFi. Not an expert, but I don't see why it wouldn't. The air is powerful enough.

beta client update:

Improved software decoder performance when using Intel QuickSync hardware encoding
Added Intel hardware decoding support using VAAPI on Linux and SteamOS. This requires the i386 intel-vaapi-driver package version 1.3.2 or newer to be installed on the client computer. This will be added to SteamOS in an upcoming update.
Fixed issue in the Windows DXVA decoder that could cause occasional black screen flashing

AndyD

aka andydumi
So could I use an older laptop in the living room to output to the TV and use a bluetooth controller but stream from the PC in the office on the other side of the house? Hardwired ethernet on both computers.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
This feature is so damn awesome. I play on both my computer and my TV. I have an i5 2500k and 560 Ti 448 Cores, but I think I need something a bit more powerful to stream at 1080p? I sometimes get 60 FPS, but when things get crazy on screen I drop to 30 FPS, even though normally I don't drop down to that when not streaming. This indicates an issue on the host machine, right? I guess I need to try doing 1080p but turning graphical settings all the way down.

Sil

Banned
I'm in love with in-home streaming, as I no longer have to look for a beefy and expensive gaming laptop to use in the living room.

Right now I'm looking for parts to use to build a mATX host to connect to a 4K TV and to stream from. Nvidia also supports 4K on GTX650+ GPUs, so this allows me to play older games in 4K directly on the TV, or stream (the majority of the time) @ 1080p 60fps to a laptop when I'm sitting on the couch.

The host machine is pretty much done on paper, but I don't have any experience with laptops acting as a client. I'm not entirely sure if I can connect a laptop with ethernet from my couch, but using a powerline adapter is an option (more stable than wifi, so prefered I guess?). Would a laptop with a low-end dedicated GPU be preferred to act as client, or will an internal GPU work just as well, seeing that the host GPU will take care of the hardware encoding?

dose

Is there a list of compatible controllers that work with Windows machines? I've seen DS4s mentioned, do DS3 s work for example?

LilJoka

Is there a list of compatible controllers that work with Windows machines? I've seen DS4s mentioned, do DS3 s work for example?

Xbox 360 wired or wireless with MS Wireless receiver
DS3 wired or Bluetooth
DS4 wired or Bluetooth
Xbox One wired only for now

Yes, you can use SCP or motionjoy. I recommend going the SCP route as motionjoy is just a terribly written program (memory leaks, the interface just looks bad and it's loaded with ad's).

The only caveat with either is that games will display the 360 buttons (as the DS3/4 isn't supported), this can confuse some people but it's not a big deal to me.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

dose

Xbox 360 wired or wireless with MS Wireless receiver
DS3 wired or Bluetooth
DS4 wired or Bluetooth
Xbox One wired only for now

Yes, you can use SCP or motionjoy. I recommend going the SCP route as motionjoy is just a terribly written program (memory leaks, the interface just looks bad and it's loaded with ad's).

The only caveat with either is that games will display the 360 buttons (as the DS3/4 isn't supported), this can confuse some people but it's not a big deal to me.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller
Thanks for reply guys, DS3/4 for me i think!

Sil

Banned
Any examples of laptops with modest gpu's where you're able to stream with 1080p/60fps? I've built a new host machine which should be more than capable, but I'm not entirely sure which laptop I should buy.

I don't think you necessarily need one with a discrete GPU for the client. Valve have implemented Intel decoding and I saw good opinions about it. Though most if it was on linux. I'm not an expert though, so can't recommend which model would be sufficient for it.

Eusis

This feature is so damn awesome. I play on both my computer and my TV. I have an i5 2500k and 560 Ti 448 Cores, but I think I need something a bit more powerful to stream at 1080p? I sometimes get 60 FPS, but when things get crazy on screen I drop to 30 FPS, even though normally I don't drop down to that when not streaming. This indicates an issue on the host machine, right? I guess I need to try doing 1080p but turning graphical settings all the way down.
This is a case where I suspect an i7 2700k would've made a huge difference when it normally didn't. Never mind that nVidia and I think AMD optimized newer hardware for streaming, but I'm not sure if that's directly relevant for Steam or if it's just for something like Shield and Shadowplay.

Hmm, yeah Nvidia encoding starts from the 600 series I think, don't know which model (660Ti ?). And yes it's also relevant to Steam streaming, not just Nvidia's stuff.

I'll just add my general input and say that in-home streaming via Steam is fucking fantastic. There's been a few weird issues with games not starting up but for the most part being able to play games on my laptop when I don't feel like using my desktop is sweet.

UnrealEck

Does Steam's streaming even use GPU encoding or decoding to serve and receive? I thought it was entirely CPU bound (including built-in graphics processing on the CPU)

Sil

Banned
I don't think you necessarily need one with a discrete GPU for the client. Valve have implemented Intel decoding and I saw good opinions about it. Though most if it was on linux. I'm not an expert though, so can't recommend which model would be sufficient for it.

So my 'server' would do the hardware encoding using a GTX770, whilst my 'client' (laptop to be bought) would use Intel's hardware decoding without the need for a dedicated GPU?

That would be great, as it would lower the costs of the laptop. Still want a good quality screen on it, as I'll be using it often to play the streamed games on, but not including a beefy GPU will save me roughly 300usd.

Does Steam's streaming even use GPU encoding or decoding to serve and receive? I thought it was entirely CPU bound (including built-in graphics processing on the CPU)

Since a month or so Steam supports hardware encoding for Nvidia GPUs (GTX650 and above).

The beta branch has Nvidia encoding/decoding implemented.

So my 'server' would do the hardware encoding using a GTX770, whilst my 'client' (laptop to be bought) would use Intel's hardware decoding without the need for a dedicated GPU?

That would be great, as it would lower the costs of the laptop. Still want a good quality screen on it, as I'll be using it often to play the streamed games on, but not including a beefy GPU will save me roughly 300usd.

Yes, but again I don't know which models would be really good for it. I know Bay Trail gets mentioned a lot (oh wait a minute, isn't that tablets only?)

Sil

Banned
Bay Trail are those new low-energy CPU's from Intel if I'm correct. Don't see how they help when it comes to good performance, except if battery life is important to you during your game sessions.

I'll do some more research before picking a new laptop. It's hard enough as it is to find one with a quality screen (preferably IPS), but without a high end mobile GPU.

beta client update:

Added support for AMD VCE hardware encoding of D3D games. This is supported with the latest AMD drivers on the following video cards: Radeon HD 79xx, Radeon HD 78xx, Radeon HD 77xx, R9 295x, R9 290x/290, R9 280x/280, R9 270x/270, R7 265, R7 260x/260, R7 250x. To enable it, go to the remote computer and enable hardware encoding in the advanced host options.
Added support for NVIDIA ShadowPlay, which enables hardware accelerated OpenGL capture. To enable it, go to the remote computer, enable ShadowPlay in the GeForce Experience and go to Steam and enable hardware encoding in the advanced host options.
Added support for streaming from Linux hosts

Nif

I bought a chromebox recently for streaming. For some reason I'm having a hard time getting Steam OS to support hardware decoding, and games run like crap. I might break down and install Windows on this after upgrading the ssd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom