• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam In-home Streaming Officially Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dina

If I have a R9 280X (AMD) doing the encoding on the host server, and an old videocard (Nvidia GT210) doing the decoding, will this work. I know the R9 can do the video encoding via UVD, but I can't find anything for the Nvidia card.

Ideally, since I also use the client system to watch movies, I'd want the videocard to be low profile and ideally fan-less. Should I switch to AMD for decoding? And which card would be preferred for that?

beta client update:

Improved AMD hardware encoding quality
Fixed regression preventing Big Picture from responding after streaming a game
Fixed regression preventing streaming to NVIDIA Shield
Streaming audio from Linux will use the default pulse audio sink if none is running at the time streaming starts

Nif

have you tried

also did you opt into the beta client?

here's a thread how to install it: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream/discussions/0/34095684513946292/

Sorry, was on vacation and missed this. Yeah, this ultimately worked. I had first reinstalled SteamOS which fixed hardware decoding on its own, but I had other issues with my audio, so I decided to go with Ubuntu instead.

Once I got Ubuntu I had the hardware decoding issue again. It turns out that steam wants the 32bit vaapi drivers while I was only getting the 64bit versions through 64bit Ubuntu. After uninstalling the 64bit version and installing 32bit, it worked fine.

As soon as I fixed all that, my WirelessAC adapter died. I wound up getting a media extender/bridge to avoid linux driver issues and now it's working perfectly. I hardly notice that I'm streaming usually.

Skyzard

Banned
Nice! Hopefully I'll be able to just carry around a tablet and a controller to play some of my pc games from out and about in the future!

Durante

This might sound like a stupid question, but has anyone figured out a way to use Steam streaming as a remote desktop replacement? Because it's better than remote desktop, at least in a LAN with ample bandwidth.

Hasney

You can use any application you like with it, so I do it that way. Just setup whatever you want as a Steam shortcut.

Other than that, if you have any games on Uplay, boot them up and then minimise the splash screen and you should have full desktop access. It does lock up quite a bit like that though.

This might sound like a stupid question, but has anyone figured out a way to use Steam streaming as a remote desktop replacement? Because it's better than remote desktop, at least in a LAN with ample bandwidth.

Oh my an actual chance to help Durante with something.

I added Dolphin emulator to my steam library, opened it in remote streaming and minimized dolphin and wa-la, can use my whole desktop.

Give it a try, maybe add some other app in there if you dont have Dolphin.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Ever since getting at 970 1080p~60 has been a dream. It looks SO good. Surprised... I thought I was being bottlenecked by my CPU, but I think the encoding on the newish Nvidia's GPUs really helped it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ok so my gaming PC is finally wired up (power line but that's the best I can do). What is my best option for streaming to my Mac mini- the only compatible thing I have under my TV.

The mac mini is never used for native games, so steam would only be installed for streaming. How do I get my controller to work with it - using a wireless Xbox 360 pad. The gaming PC is only about 8m away through a wall in case I can leave the 360 receiver attached to my PC and the range will reach?

Also any way to launch steam big picture mode with a remote control? I guess remote buddy or similar?

Hasney

Have you run any keyboard and mouse games for a little while just to check that it's good enough? Powerline usually is, but it is dependant on your house wiring.

From there, hit this for wireless 360 controller instructions: http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/how_use_xbox_360_wireless_controller_your_mac (You won't need to do the latter part of binding keystrokes if the game has native controller support).

Remote buddy would work, but the way I do it is with a 360 controller guide button in Windows. Had a quick Google, but it doesn't look like there's anything similar for OSX.

veidi

Is the Intel NUC i3 strong enough for this?
We also have Gigabit LAN in every room.
Is there anything I should configure in the router settings?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is the Intel NUC i3 strong enough for this?
We also have Gigabit LAN in every room.
Is there anything I should configure in the router settings?

NUC will be more than good enough. I don't think it has high CPU requirements (and the i3 isn't that slow anyway), and the integrated graphics will have accelerated video decoding.

plainr_

I'm curious about this too. I do lots of video encoding on my server PC and testing videos on the fly through RDP is not pleasant.

veidi

If you go ahead with this, I'd be interested to hear your experiences.

I quickly tried it yesterday.
It worked really well, the latency was very good and hardly recognizable.
Only the FPS fell sometimes down...i have to look after that, when i have time.
Will keep up in this thread =)
Really like this feature.

Building a miniITX client, but haven't had the chance to test this feature out streaming from my main PC to anything.

Would an i3 4130 with onboard video suffice? I plan on filling my one slot with an internal capture device for console capture as well, so I'd hope something this minimal would cut the mustard.

Thoughts?

MisterM

Building a miniITX client, but haven't had the chance to test this feature out streaming from my main PC to anything.

Would an i3 4130 with onboard video suffice? I plan on filling my one slot with an internal capture device for console capture as well, so I'd hope something this minimal would cut the mustard.

Thoughts?

Should be fine. I've used a laptop with an i5/HD4000 with no problems.

Hasney

Thoughts?

Easy. My piece of shit AMD CPU and on-board GPU eat it up.

Vizzeh

Banned
I have a quality 47" 16ms gaming tv on the wall next to my 27" IPS + PC, so HDMI ftw...

I presume quite alot of you would prefer the big tv experience instead of monitor?
I can do it, but still think the quality/response is better on the monitor :D - I think its game depending... ie with a controller, darksouls 2 etc as an example.

fallout

I would love to see a SteamOS running on this:

V8gWtqX.jpg

This is the Intel Compute Stick, a humble HDMI dongle that houses a full desktop computer experience. It's not a particularly powerful one—you get a quad-core 1.33GHz Intel Atom processor, 2GB of RAM, and 32GB of solid state storage—but it does have Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and both a full-size USB port and a microSD card slot for expandability.​

Said to be releasing Q1 2015. Windows 8.1 version is $150. Linux version is $90.

http://ces.gizmodo.com/intels-150-hdmi-stick-turns-any-tv-into-a-windows-desk-1678550370

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/compute-stick/intel-compute-stick.html

Hasney

Celeron? I don't know. How good are this and the stick for streaming? And I mean around 1080p 60fps.

Perfectly fine, assuming you're on ethernet. The 1GB version of the stick might struggle if you tried doing it through Windows, but would be fine on SteamOS or probably some other Linux distribution.

They're geared to decode video as that will be their main use. For streaming, they're awesome.

wilflare

I'm excited about the Intel Stick
really want a simple solution that I can plug into my TV so I can play on the big screen

wonder how the Intel Stick is gonna handle controllers though :/ DS4, etc

Hasney

I'm excited about the Intel Stick
really want a simple solution that I can plug into my TV so I can play on the big screen

wonder how the Intel Stick is gonna handle controllers though :/ DS4, etc

Has bluetooth so PS3/PS4 pads will be fine.

Hasney

Maybe related to this, maybe not: is there any device or dongle or thing I could buy that would let me stream to my TV?

Yup, any of the things mentioned above or any laptop if you've got one knocking about. I've got a cheap HP laptop that has HDMI out at the moment which I use.

ShowDog

I love this feature. I'm streaming to an 8-9 yr old Core Duo 2ghz MacBook with a shit Intel integrated graphics adapter. I can stream 1080p "balanced" over usb N wifi and 1080p "fast" over wireless G.

Is there any way to further customize the settings? The actual nitrates I'm observing in Activity Center for "fast" "balanced" and "beautiful" vary wildly from game to game so there is a lot of trial and error for each title.

Nzyme32

I love this feature. I'm streaming to an 8-9 yr old Core Duo 2ghz MacBook with a shit Intel integrated graphics adapter. I can stream 1080p "balanced" over usb N wifi and 1080p "fast" over wireless G.

Is there any way to further customize the settings? The actual nitrates I'm observing in Activity Center for "fast" "balanced" and "beautiful" vary wildly from game to game so there is a lot of trial and error for each title.

If you haven't already, get your wireless router set to 5ghz. That shut cut out a ton of interference from other devices and give you a much more reliables experience

Any up-to-date guides on how to optimise Steam In-home streaming? All the guides online are horribly outdated.

I have the host computer connected via gigabit ethernet, but 1080p is still pretty choppy. 720p is pretty stable though, and it's actually hard to distinguish whether I'm playing a stream, or off the client PC.

I read an interesting guide on how to enable Intel Quick Sync encoding on the host PC, but the stream only lasts a minute or so before shutting back to desktop. No error message or anything, which makes it hard to troubleshoot.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Any up-to-date guides on how to optimise Steam In-home streaming? All the guides online are horribly outdated.

I have the host computer connected via gigabit ethernet, but 1080p is still pretty choppy. 720p is pretty stable though, and it's actually hard to distinguish whether I'm playing a stream, or off the client PC.

I read an interesting guide on how to enable Intel Quick Sync encoding on the host PC, but the stream only lasts a minute or so before shutting back to desktop. No error message or anything, which makes it hard to troubleshoot.

What are your specs on the host machine?

Helznicht

Hmm, Just tried this for the first time. Cant say I am really impressed. Image quality was pretty good but mouse and keyboard latency was no better than onlive, and thats over the internet.

Testing from one pc to another both hardwired to a 100gb switch. Both capable of running the tested game (quake live on practice). If I had to guess, it felt like 200-250 ms latency. Should be much better than that over the same LAN IMO.

Durante

Hmm, Just tried this for the first time. Cant say I am really impressed. Image quality was pretty good but mouse and keyboard latency was no better than onlive, and thats over the internet.

Testing from one pc to another both hardwired to a 100gb switch. Both capable of running the tested game (quake live on practice). If I had to guess, it felt like 200-250 ms latency. Should be much better than that over the same LAN IMO.
Well, something went wrong with your setup. I get <50ms total latency over WLAN. Did you have HW encoding/deconding and a sufficient framerate on the host?

Have a look at the streaming stats screen (F6).

Hasney

Well, something went wrong with your setup. I get <50ms total latency over WLAN. Did you have HW encoding/deconding and a sufficient framerate on the host?

Have a look at the streaming stats screen (F6).

Yeah, I get better input lag than a cheap TV over wired, so somethings up with his configuration. Maybe an issue with Quake Live?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom