• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

Folders man!

Oo

screenshot2015-01-252pez3i.png

Sub is 0 because that is kinda of a dump folder.
I was always too lazy for this. But I could start to archive the older threads. I save a lot I just like to read, because it's interesting or funny.

L.O.R.D

i am checking the site now
and you can buy from G2A directly or buy the game cheaper from the matketplace inside G2A
maybe the banning and game revoke because of those seller and not from G2A directly ?
for example , there is a weekly sales page , only G2A sell those games and no sellers

MUnited83

For you.
For me, the fact some popular Youtuber advertise with those sites is not a synonimous of "This site is trustworthy".
Often some youtubers just offer a partnership to whatever they want, just to make some money. They are not worried if a site is or is not legit, maybe they never visited that site at all.
Of course this is just my opinion.

Well, G2A appears as oficial youtube ads as well(the ones that pop up to the right of the video) and even appears on GAF ads as well. I can't exactly blame people that think the site is legit.

I am glad to have SteamGAF to help clarify which sites are more legitimate. Personally I avoided GMG for a while because it seemed sketchy to me (people pushed their referral program pretty hard in the beginning) and I've seen G2A deals on places like RPS before. If you're seeing G2A advertised heavily on a streamer site and don't have exposure to information like on here, it's easy to assume they are no more or less legitimate than anywhere else. Sure, the "too good to be true" rule should be used, but plenty of the deals I've gotten on GMG, or in bundles, or using RU trading fit that description.

As for Ubi banning people from uPlay just for using those keys though, I'll believe it when I see it. There's almost always something more to those stories or people are misusing the word "banned."

Granted, a question like that is hyperbolic, but there are illegitimate sellers on Amazon using their partners program, so it isn't that far fetched. I think it's easy to forget that this market is still pretty new and while we may be used to it here, most people aren't.

I meant Amazon as far as buying directly through them...you're right, as soon as third party people are involved all bets are off so people should try to be as informed as they can be

Lomax

I meant Amazon as far as buying directly through them...you're right, as soon as third party people are involved all bets are off so people should try to be as informed as they can be

But that's the point, it's harder to be informed than you might think. I mean, on the surface, you'd think major streamers and game sites like RPS would be safer places to get referrals from than a random internet forum. Not to mention, plenty of people on this very thread still purchase from G2A because "it's worth the risk" or don't realize it's a bad site until the link they post comes up as a banned site.

Personally, I think that's why we still see such a large amount of sales directly on Steam even when things are available cheaper elsewhere. Most people who aren't fully informed are going to play it safe and just buy directly from the source.

Wasn't there some Kickstarter to "try to buy" the Home World IP a couple of years back?

Yeah, when THQ went bankrupt. They had the #2 bid as I recall, though it wasn't really even close to the winning bid.

I'm amazed DarkQuest hasn't been slapped with a c&d from Games Workshop... or MB.

You can't copyright a game design, so I don't think MB can do anything. For that matter, it's been so long since HeroQuest came out that anything that was trademarked has probably lapsed.

Turfster

You can't copyright a game design, so I don't think MB can do anything. For that matter, it's been so long since HeroQuest came out that anything that was trademarked has probably lapsed.

Not so much the game design as the logo and art that's, if not a 1:1 copy, incredibly close to the original's =p (especially the DM wizard)
And anything GW was involved with (and HeroQuest was basically off-brand Warhammer) gets trademark-watched like a hawk.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
But that's the point, it's harder to be informed than you might think. I mean, on the surface, you'd think major streamers and game sites like RPS would be safer places to get referrals from than a random internet forum. Not to mention, plenty of people on this very thread still purchase from G2A because "it's worth the risk" or don't realize it's a bad site until the link they post comes up as a banned site.

Personally, I think that's why we still see such a large amount of sales directly on Steam even when things are available cheaper elsewhere. Most people who aren't fully informed are going to play it safe and just buy directly from the source.

You're absolutely correct. One of the things I wanted to make sure of when building Enhanced Steam's "Find the lowest available price" feature was that it would never link out to any shady sites or sites with unauthorized keys. Even still - a few times a week I get an email similar to "I found this particular game cheaper on G2A / Kinguin / RussiaMart so you should totally add that site because it saved me a lot of money". Sometimes I even get the site owners to email me and ask me to include it - along with an offer of games and/or cash if I agree to. If I didn't think they were shady before...

There are even a few sites that IsThereAnyDeal.com tracks that I feel don't belong in Enhanced Steam. Either because my own purchase didn't go smoothly or because I've heard a lot of horror stories from other users. So, to a certain extent, I feel like it's been "my job" at times to check on the legitimacy of some of these sites so that making a purchase through Enhanced Steam's links should be an easy and pain-free process that results in you getting a legitimate game key that's come from a legitimate business deal that the developer or publisher has been compensated for.

What I'm really trying to say is that "yes - it can be incredibly difficult sorting out the legitimacy of some of these sites, and most regular users wouldn't usually bother to put in the amount of research into these site's backgrounds as they should".

Lomax

Not so much the game design as the logo and art that's, if not a 1:1 copy, incredibly close to the original's =p (especially the DM wizard) And anything GW was involved with (and HeroQuest was basically off-brand Warhammer) gets trademark-watched like a hawk.

Would almost be funny if that font was owned by someone. From what I can tell though, "obvious rip off" isn't illegal so long as the assets are actually new. Especially on something this old.

Funny thing is, I never knew HQ had anything to do with Warhammer until now. I certainly don't remember it ever being advertised as such.

Turfster

Would almost be funny if that font was owned by someone. From what I can tell though, "obvious rip off" isn't illegal so long as the assets are actually new. Especially on something this old.

Well, my comment wasn't so much "this is illegal" as "GW aggressively C&Ds anything that comes near their IPs or even smells like it" ;)

And yeah, it wasn't really widely advertised as such, but it was obvious for people in the know when you looked at the races and some of the maps.

madjoki

What I'm really trying to say is that "yes - it can be incredibly difficult sorting out the legitimacy of some of these sites, and most regular users wouldn't usually bother to put in the amount of research into these site's backgrounds as they should".

Yeah, many are focused on finding chapest deal, not doing any research on seller. Many are even willing fully using these sites knowing they sell keys from 'shady' origins, just because it's few cents cheaper.

This is a thing that I mostly dislike on any thread about someone/media outlet goty list. "It doesn't my personal GOTY on the list, it's invalidated or automatically a shit list", the worst part being that mostly likely nobody takes the time to read the reasoning about why the games are in the list.

/rant off

Never forget the RPG GOTY list salt.

Lomax

Well, my comment wasn't so much "this is illegal" as "GW aggressively C&Ds anything that comes near their IPs or even smells like it" ;)

And yeah, it wasn't really widely advertised as such, but it was obvious for people in the know when you looked at the races and some of the maps.

Fair enough. Hopefully it lasts long enough to get bundled, I'd be curious to try it. I have fond memories of the board game but I'm sure some of that is nostalgia.

RS4-

Now that I think of it, the uPlay thing is kinda troublesome because G2A is advertised by the likes of PewPewDie and such. Sure it's easy to pull the "your fault" card, but on the outside G2A doesn't exactly scream "illegal".

Justice for giving that guy views.

Not a fan of what Ubi is doing anyway. Not sure what they can do about it either.

Chariot

Now that I think of it, the uPlay thing is kinda troublesome because G2A is advertised by the likes of PewPewDie and such. Sure it's easy to pull the "your fault" card, but on the outside G2A doesn't exactly scream "illegal".
Then give these internet celebrities the shit and not Ubisoft, when it is once in the right.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Clusterpuck 99 -- MB-4F3158C4FC38ACBC - Taken by 7Sins

Then give these internet celebrities the shit and not Ubisoft, when it is once in the right.

There's plenty of blame to go around.

If I were the brass at Ubisoft, I would have penned an open letter discussing the generalities of illegitimate resellers and having something to the effect of, "As of January 31, 2015, the following retailers are authorized by Ubisoft to conduct transactions concerning our products on our behalf", followed by a list (Steam, Amazon, etc). I'd also warn customers to check if their games were purchased by G2A, file a chargeback and a claim with the BBB/local business bureau and wait a few days before deactivating the keys.

Then again, this is Ubisoft, the company that typically handles its business and game development like a bull in a china shop - with no subtlety or grace whatsoever. They deserve all the bad press they get.

There's plenty of blame to go around.

If I were the brass at Ubisoft, I would have penned an open letter discussing the generalities of illegitimate resellers and having something to the effect of, "As of January 31, 2015, the following retailers are authorized by Ubisoft to conduct transactions concerning our products on our behalf", followed by a list (Steam, Amazon, etc). I'd also warn customers to check if their games were purchased by G2A, file a chargeback and a claim with the BBB/local business bureau and wait a few days before deactivating the keys.

Then again, this is Ubisoft, the company that typically handles its business and game development like a bull in a china shop - with no subtlety or grace whatsoever. They deserve all the bad press they get.

Well, Valve deactivates keys in the same way as Ubi, so it's not just them.

Lomax

The thing that annoyed me about the story was the "I bought a hammer from Walmart and they came and took it from me" analogy. No, they didn't. They bought a hammer at a pawn shop, and it turned out to be stolen.

Corpekata

Banned
I find it hard to believe anyone stumbling over these sort of sites does not at least question if they are legit in the back of their mind for a moment. Find it hard to place any real blame on Ubisoft.

Turfster

The thing that annoyed me about the story was the "I bought a hammer from Walmart and they came and took it from me" analogy. No, they didn't. They bought a hammer at a pawn shop, and it turned out to be stolen.

Not even.
"They leased a car from a leasing company, and it turned out the car was stolen so the original owners took it back." is probably the closest analogy with today's software licenses.

pahamrick

Again, what Ubi did sounds legit and right, to me.
What a customer can do? Simple. Asking a refund to G2 dudes.
You don't need what they ask, like "Contacting Ubisoft etc." Because probably there are a LOT of tickets right now so they are aware of the issue. They should refund all customers. Did you buy your key from a vendor? They can contact him and give your money back.

So in the end, if done properly and G2A dudes act properly, this should hurt only G2A and vendors.

Considering that G2A are aware of it, and refusing to act until they receive a screenshot of a response to a ticket to Ubisoft explaining why the games were removed, I don't see them acting properly in the end.

Annubis

Not even.
"They leased a car from a leasing company, and it turned out the car was stolen so the original owners took it back." is probably the closest analogy with today's software licenses.

At least you'd have some legal recourse against a local car lease company.
Sadly, people can't really bring something in Russia/China to court easily.

pahamrick

Well, maybe they are requesting a proof, because even "legit" owners could say they got their game removed, to have their money back.
If an answer from Ubi should be enough, at least you can try on doing that. If they still refuse to provide you a refund after that, then you can tell'emm you'll go with legal route.

I guess. I didn't purchase the keys, they were a gift -- my friend already said he'll dispute through paypal if they don't refund him in the end.

Anteater

Oh man steam screenshot is alive. There's a weird blur effect with God Hand on pcsx2 that I don't know how to fix, I got rid of the ghosting but it adds a small white bar to the edge of the screen :(

btw I've made my first successful thread focused on important and serious issues on gaf, although it's in OT, but you guys should participate because I think it's relevant to most here.

Well, Valve deactivates keys in the same way as Ubi, so it's not just them.

In mass quantities like this? Rarely.

The last time Valve revoked keys en masse (the SpaceChem beta, I think), one of Valve's support personnel had to publicly apologize to the game's discussion board for sending a false-flag signal that made people think their accounts were going to be banned.

All I'd expect is some communication from Ubi, that's all. Thank God I never bought from G2A, despite people on other sites (coughreddit) recommending it.

Lomax

You don't really have any legal recourse when it comes to stolen property. Said pawn shop or whatever might give you a refund, but if they didn't sell it to you fraudulently, they aren't obligated to, especially if you bought it as is. And yes, it's all licenses, but all that means is basically "Ubisoft can do whatever they want," and while that might be legally true, it doesn't mean most companies actually act that way, even them.

The last time Valve revoked keys en masse (the SpaceChem beta, I think), one of Valve's support personnel had to publicly apologize to the game's discussion board for sending a false-flag signal that made people think their accounts were going to be banned.

All I'd expect is some communication from Ubi, that's all. Thank God I never bought from there, despite people on other sites (coughreddit) recommending it.

Not quite sure why you have this perception. Valve revokes keys all the time, for a wide assortment of reasons. Many of us in this thread have had keys revoked (myself for the "free" GamersGate purchase of Warlock II). And I didn't get a notification from either GamersGate or Valve as to why it happened, it just happened.

AHA-Lambda

Again, what Ubi did sounds legit and right, to me.
What a customer can do? Simple. Asking a refund to G2 dudes.
You don't need what they ask, like "Contacting Ubisoft etc." Because probably there are a LOT of tickets right now so they are aware of the issue. They should refund all customers. Did you buy your key from a vendor? They can contact him and give your money back.

So in the end, if done properly and G2A dudes act properly, this should hurt only G2A and vendors.

They deal in illegal keys, I doubt they'll act proper now.

This is a thing that I mostly dislike on any thread about someone/media outlet goty list. "It doesn't my personal GOTY on the list, it's invalidated or automatically a shit list", the worst part being that mostly likely nobody takes the time to read the reasoning about why the games are in the list.

/rant off

Yeah, I avoid every "list thread" like the plague.
Those "games I'd choose aren't on the list so it's shit" posts are so incredibly arrogant.
Some people get downright offended, it's insane. Like they're expecting the tastes of some random people to perfectly align with theirs and then are surprised when that's not the case.

dex3108

All I'd expect is some communication from Ubi, that's all. Thank God I never bought from G2A, despite people on other sites (coughreddit) recommending it.

Sniper Elite 3 was big news last year, over 7000 keys were revoked on Steam.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/06/30/over-7-000-stolen-sniper-elite-3-steam-keys-revoked/

Zafir

I still question whether they were stolen though. I just find it fishy that every single reseller had their keys for Sniper Elite 3 deactivated. I don't doubt some will be dealing with stolen keys, but all of them seems a bit much.

Turfster

I still question whether they were stolen though. I just find it fishy that every single reseller had their keys for Sniper Elite 3 deactivated. I don't doubt some will be dealing with stolen keys, but all of them seems a bit much.

They were stolen from one retail distributor, then resold to multiple companies.
Not every reseller got hit, either. CJS wasn't in that case, for example.

MUnited83

For you.
I remember that a few dozen pages ago people saying that 4pack copies are now region locked. This is false. Copies spawned from a 4pack are still region free. What changed is that 4packs can no longer be aqquired as gifts(unless that option is left open by the developer)

Not quite sure why you have this perception. Valve revokes keys all the time, for a wide assortment of reasons. Many of us in this thread have had keys revoked (myself for the "free" GamersGate purchase of Warlock II). And I didn't get a notification from either GamersGate or Valve as to why it happened, it just happened.

I am aware. I was actually going to go into GG's terrible stance on price errors (including Warlock and the Temple of Osiris debacle, the former of which I dealt with as well), but deleted it because it felt tangential.

The key word was "in mass quantities". I am also aware of the Sniper Elite 3 removal, but I'm under the assumption that this is affecting a lot more people than that. All I'm asking for is some communication. I expect that digital storefronts rarely (if ever) need to respond to consumers regarding key removals because they're representing a lot of different companies/want to correct a price error/etc. I don't expect it from publishers who should know better than to yank a bunch of keys out sight unseen and not expect that people would start trashing them, regardless of whether they knew the keys they purchased were illegal or not.

I have also read that Ubi wouldn't want to publish a list of authorized sellers because they have exclusivity deals with certain sites for pre-order DLC/better discounts/etc. I still think they should have given consumers forewarning before pulling the rug out under them. Just because Valve doesn't let people know when they're revoking keys, doesn't make it any more acceptable.

Zafir

They were stolen from one retail distributor, then resold to multiple companies.
Not every reseller got hit, either. CJS wasn't in that case, for example.

I thought they did, but only one type of key? They were selling two types like special edition and normal or something, from what I remember.
I am aware. I was actually going to go into GG's terrible stance on price errors (including Warlock and the Temple of Osiris debacle, the former of which I dealt with as well), but deleted it because it felt tangential.

The key word was "in mass quantities". I am also aware of the Sniper Elite 3 removal, but I'm under the assumption that this is affecting a lot more people than that. All I'm asking for is some communication. I expect that digital storefronts rarely (if ever) need to respond to consumers regarding key removals because they're representing a lot of different companies/want to correct a price error/etc. I don't expect it from publishers who should know better than to yank a bunch of keys out sight unseen and not expect that people would start trashing them, regardless of whether they knew the keys they purchased were illegal or not.
I think it would help if they sent a better notification, yeah. The issue with resellers at the moment is, people who don't follow the news as much, probably won't know. Especially with how Kinguin/G2A are sponsoring streamers and tournaments. Plus the publicity from other sites like Reddit, Hot UK Deals etc.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The "does this site sell battlenet keys" test has never failed me.

Thanks for that, Blizzard.

Anteater

its sad that when it breaks you realize you're such a computer reliant person

i'm so bored

i'm actually the same, most of my life was on the computer for everything, work, watching shit, listening to music, by instinct I have been trying to stay away from it and I really love reading books and mangas physically, I jog during weekdays, but god damn 90% of the stuff still takes place on a computer where I sit and stare at it.

Turfster

I thought they did, but only one type of key? They were selling two types like special edition and normal or something, from what I remember.
As far as I'm aware (from quick googling and some skimming, but I might be wrong), they didn't get hit, but they did a hyperbole blog post about how Rebellion were revoking "hundreds of thousands" of keys to fix the market by going after sites like them.
I could be wrong, though.
It's been ages since it happened, and I'm old ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom