• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, how do they figure out where the keys are coming from?

If they generate the codes in the first place (which I imagine they must) they know where those codes went. Steam can tell you exactly where each redeemed code came from (territory and retailer, or sample, or test code, etc), gotta imagine a similar situation exists with uplay.

I still think even if G2P is selling retail keys, taken from boxes...
... the price often is still far too high.

I mean they sell new games for 30€, when they are like 15€ in the country they buy it from.
At least traders before took maybe 1-2, 3-4€ for more expensive games..

user237

does this affect Steam games that use Uplay?

I got Might and Magic 10 for cheap off MacGameStore but didn't have time to play it yet :/

Dr Dogg

Well now, there's two of us now. 3rd person action/adventure isn't a genre I enjoy thoroughly, usually only the very best (Arkham series etc.), but every now and then a game manages to surprise me. And Ryse was one of those games. It's not groundbreaking or special, but I enjoyed it for what it was. Should have been a $40 title on Xbox One though, like it is on PC.

I do think how it was shown of at E3 which did make it seem a bit QTE heavy (and the couple of early build glitch vids that creeped their way into every thread) didn't do the game any favours in terms of explaining how the game actually played but as you say for what the game is I've certainly had a blast so far.

dex3108

Jesus, some people are entitled and whiny in this thread.

Not only in that thread. Couple of my friends are calling me Ubisoft fanboy for defending them in this case. For them Ubisoft is guilty and there is no excuse for removing their games. And that is sad :(

Locust

Wasn't this the story about the people who were asking the devs for review keys and sold them?

I don't think the majority of third party sellers do it, but there's definitely a few bad apples on Kinguin that almost exclusively sell review keys.

kinguin.net/customer/about/overview/vendor_id/1768684/ pretty much entirely review keys
kinguin.net/customer/about/overview/vendor_id/4097/ definitely sells review keys (lots of new indie games as steam keys)

Really shameful practice.

pahamrick

Assassin's Creed IV + Season Pass disappeared from UPLAY on me. Guess now I know where the friend who gave it to me as a Christmas + Birthday present got the key from.

Well, shit.

That G2A thread… Goddamn.

First of all, fuck ubisoft, you disgusting piece of ebola infested rat shit company, if someone wants to buy those keys from the grey markets then let them. Your games are not worth more than $1.50 anyways.

Second of all, if those keys were stolen then fuck the resellers.

Nzyme32

I don't think the majority of third party sellers do it, but there's definitely a few bad apples on Kinguin that almost exclusively sell review keys.

https://www.kinguin.net/customer/about/overview/vendor_id/1768684/ pretty much entirely review keys
https://www.kinguin.net/customer/about/overview/vendor_id/4097/ definitely sells review keys (lots of new indie games as steam keys)

Clicked on the links, and get a nice little warning from Chrome that "the connection is not secure". Pretty much a red flag right there. "Back to Safety", Chrome asks. Lead the way oh protecting browser.

Chariot

Not only in that thread. Couple of my friends are calling me Ubisoft fanboy for defending them in this case. For them Ubisoft is guilty and there is no excuse for removing their games. And that is sad :(
:(

https://www.kinguin.net/customer/about/overview/vendor_id/1768684/ pretty much entirely review keys
https://www.kinguin.net/customer/about/overview/vendor_id/4097/ definitely sells review keys (lots of new indie games as steam keys)

Google chrome doesn't even want me to visit there, but I don't need to see it. It's disgusting. As many flaws as pricing has, and as much as I hate Ubisoft policies, these resellers are bad news over all. And people defend them.

madjoki

Google chrome doesn't even want me to visit there, but I don't need to see it. It's disgusting. As many flaws as pricing has, and as much as I hate Ubisoft policies, these resellers are bad news over all. And people defend them.

This! "Day one and -75%? Must be legit because they say they are legit!".

MUnited83

For you.
I still think even if G2P is selling retail keys, taken from boxes...
... the price often is still far too high.

I mean they sell new games for 30€, when they are like 15€ in the country they buy it from.
At least traders before took maybe 1-2, 3-4€ for more expensive games..
Yeah, their prices are always ridiculous and you could most of the time find the games cheaper elsewhere.

Though i do use kinguin and g2a from time to time toget games that were removed from Steam. They are often straight Steam gifts sold by people with thousands of feedback so thats pretty safe( as safe as getting it from someone on steamtrades with high feedback)

Dr Dogg

Steam thread is still the best place on gaming side, even though we got moved to community.

And now it's in Community I don't have to wade past a lot of Console centric threads that serve no purpose than to validate ones own opinion and berate others and stuff like the Gamer Gate thread.

It's all sunshine and rainbows over here.

fantomena

I don't have UPlay installed on my PC so I can't see if anything has happened to me.

I don't give a shit anyway, UPlay may rot in hell for what I care.

And now it's in Community I don't have to wade past a lot of Console centric threads that serve no purpose than to validate ones own opinion and berate others and stuff like the Gamer Gate thread.

It's subscription and off-topics for me most of the time, if there are some gaming news worthy of my attention, they'll get posted here.

Chariot

Surprised nobody used subscriptions even before when it was in the gaming side...heh
I would die without subs.
5GETfFX.png

Nzyme32

Surprised nobody used subscriptions even before when it was in the gaming side...heh

I literally only started using the subscription feature since the Steam thread got moved to community, and I have no idea why I didn't use it sooner. I'm not usually a forum person, so maybe that it. Or I'm an idiot, which is also likely

This is a thing that I mostly dislike on any thread about someone/media outlet goty list. "It doesn't my personal GOTY on the list, it's invalidated or automatically a shit list", the worst part being that mostly likely nobody takes the time to read the reasoning about why the games are in the list.

/rant off

inm8num2

I always go to my subs first. A couple times I day I'll check the recent threads in gaming/OT to look for other things I might be interested in.

derExperte

So, I'm looking at my wishlist to clean it up (no, not JaseC way, sadly), and here is Lords of the Fallen. How good is this?
I'm reading steam community hub just now, and it seems the game is still penty of bugs, it crashes a lot etc.
Also, it doesn't seem very good, just...ok?
Is there a hope this will end up in a cheap bundle (I don't know Deck113 policy about)?

This exists http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/lords-of-the-fallen-complete-bundle/ so chances are good. But I won't bite before they patched the crashes many are still experiencing. Which might never happen.

Nabs

$29.74 (-15% off)

The Homeworld Remastered Collection includes:
• Homeworld Remastered Edition
• Homeworld 2 Remastered Edition

As a bonus, you will also receive free access to:
• Homeworld Classic
• Homeworld 2 Classic
• Homeworld Remastered Steam Multiplayer Beta

madjoki

Lomax

I mean 5€ or so, not 25€
Since Blood Knights was bundled too.
But yes, if they'll bundle it and the game is a buggy mess, there's no really a point.
But...is it worth, anyway?
I liked Dark Souls, of course, but balancement is all in those games, so if this involve cheap deaths or unbalanced things, I would avoid it.

Ah, there are DLCs too :S

While of course these days almost anything can (and does) end up in a bundle, I doubt Lords of the Fallen would ever be considered a "bundle tier" game like Blood Knights, at least not any time soon. Especially since it still has a $50 base price on Steam. It strikes me much more as a "buy at 75% off for under $10" type game.

madjoki

I think it may mean the proper MP will be launched later and added for free, but you can play the beat till then?

It may, but then why be so vague?
It seems they avoided making anything that seems like it would promise access to full/final version of multiplayer.

Multiplayer is absent here:

As a bonus you will also receive free access to:

By purchasing Homeworld Remastered Collection, you’ll also receive free access to the Homeworld Remastered Steam Multiplayer Beta at the time of release.

• Access to the Homeworld Remastered Steam Multiplayer Beta: play Homeworld races against Homeworld 2 races with up to eight players on 23 maps, plus brand new game modes

Now that I think of it, the uPlay thing is kinda troublesome because G2A is advertised by the likes of PewPewDie and such. Sure it's easy to pull the "your fault" card, but on the outside G2A doesn't exactly scream "illegal".

$29.74 (-15% off)

As a bonus, you will also receive free access to:
• Homeworld Classic
• Homeworld 2 Classic

Still have my original discs! Never was that good at managing and positioning all the ships, but loved it regardless. Gonna wishlist it for later.

Edit: Also comes out on my b-day, must be fate. :d

Lomax

I am glad to have SteamGAF to help clarify which sites are more legitimate. Personally I avoided GMG for a while because it seemed sketchy to me (people pushed their referral program pretty hard in the beginning) and I've seen G2A deals on places like RPS before. If you're seeing G2A advertised heavily on a streamer site and don't have exposure to information like on here, it's easy to assume they are no more or less legitimate than anywhere else. Sure, the "too good to be true" rule should be used, but plenty of the deals I've gotten on GMG, or in bundles, or using RU trading fit that description.

As for Ubi banning people from uPlay just for using those keys though, I'll believe it when I see it. There's almost always something more to those stories or people are misusing the word "banned."

I checked that Ubi forum link and if the first post you see references someone questioning if Steam or Amazon are legitimate retailers then that says all I need to know

Granted, a question like that is hyperbolic, but there are illegitimate sellers on Amazon using their partners program, so it isn't that far fetched. I think it's easy to forget that this market is still pretty new and while we may be used to it here, most people aren't.

I checked that Ubi forum link and if the first post you see references someone questioning if Steam or Amazon are legitimate retailers then that says all I need to know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom