• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Closing the redundant Steam Community thread and making a mega thread on gaming seemed like a great success.

It was an excellent experience meeting new people, discussing niche game choices, and having a generally good time.

I enjoyed it, and look forward to when it occurs next time. Also be interesting to see who sticks around in our misc discussions, game talk, and anime gif posting over it.

As I said before the sale started and people were having a hissy, I don't mind where we are, no matter where we go, I'll continue to post and talk about horror and niche stuff. Is what it is.

Closing the redundant Steam Community thread and making a mega thread on gaming seemed like a great success. It was an excellent experience meeting new people, discussing niche game choices, and having a generally good time.

Looking forward to doing it again for the Summer Sale.
I agree. It was surprisingly great.

I spent some Christmas monies over at amazon on a Steam controller. It arrives tomorrow and I am looking forward to messing with it. Apparently that entitled me to a couple games I already own.

"Thank you for purchasing your Steam hardware at Amazon. Your purchase entitles you to a Steam code for 1 copy of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and 1 copy of Left 4 Dead 2."

It looks as though it is one code for both the games. I'm too lazy to modbot it. Send me a PM if you don't own either of them and would like to. Also my friends list could use some more peeps: http://steamcommunity.com/id/MakeshiftChef/

gurm3n

Neo Member
Closing the redundant Steam Community thread and making a mega thread on gaming seemed like a great success. It was an excellent experience meeting new people, discussing niche game choices, and having a generally good time.

It was my first winter sale in NeoGAF and IMO this is great, it felt like it reached people outside of SteamGAF.

Chariot

Shouldn't be much of a surprise, not closing the thread couldn't be a long tradition. Even I joined the thread during a summer sale through a dedicated summer sake thread and I am not that long in here.

The_Monk

I think it's a good idea and more threads who are currently in Community should appear every now and then on the Gaming side (specially some OT's for games who may be active but people refrain from posting due laziness to search the thread or understanding the community side) to gather more people who may not be aware of such thread and then move back to community again. I think this could boost some threads who have been a decent time on the Community side, not sure if people would agree with this.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Shenmue 3 studio ignores poll results, won't extend Kickstarter rewards to PayPal backers.

In a Kickstarter update posted in early December 2015, Shenmue 3 developer Ys Net rolled out a poll asking if rewards previously offered as Kickstarter exclusives should also be extended to post-Kickstarter PayPal backers. The studio said it didn't want to break its promise of exclusivity, but decided to put the matter up for a vote after receiving many requests to do so. “Keeping our promise to you is very important to us,” the studio wrote. “But at the same time, the PayPal site was set up precisely because fans could not back the Kickstarter and they feel they should not be penalized for that.”

The results of the poll—actually two of them, one just for Kickstarter backers and the other open to the public on Twitter—are now in, and the new isn't good for PayPal supporters. “Considering the strong response from those of you who felt that the Exclusive Rewards should remain exclusive for the Kickstarter, those Exclusive Rewards will not be made available on the PayPal page as originally promised,” Ys Net revealed in the latest Kickstarter update.

As you might expect, that decision has not gone over well with everyone, largely because the “strong response” mentioned in the statement doesn't actually seem to exist. 15,110 Kickstarter backers responded to the poll (out of a total eligibility pool of 68,533) but only 4009 of them voted to keep the rewards exclusive. More people—4670—actually voted to extended the Kickstarter rewards to PayPal backers, while the remaining 6432 respondents opted for, “Either is fine with me.” (Those numbers actually add up to 15,111 respondents, but I don't know where the math mistake is so I'll stick with the ones quoted in the update.)

There's an even greater imbalance in the public Twitter poll that was posted on December 3. A full two-thirds of the 2121 votes cast support extending the Kickstarter rewards to PayPal backers, while just 17 percent are against. That's a decided minority of support for exclusivity among backers and non-backers alike—so where's the “strong response” favoring it?

“We hope everyone will continue to let their voices be heard as we go forward with the project,” Ys Net said in the update. If you're a PayPal backer, I'd recommend doing just that.

Hektor

A salute to the friends we've lost on our journey on gamingside.

28efc88508f572074978d81903406ac7967d5870_full.jpg

mgs3_salute_by_christopherjredfield-d5241q1.gif

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I might be one of the few who just stumbled upon this thread when I was new to gaf and had no idea no one went to community section.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Cool, added myself.

Tomorrow I'm calling it quits on Revelations' raid mode. If I didn't have a backlog I could be playing this for days, but once I beat the Chasm levels that's it. Life is Strange is waiting.

user237

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Top Trumps Turbo -- MB-17BCA4A23D4BDBE4 - Taken by dave is ok

also got some leftovers from an old giveaway (they are free-for-all, so you can take more than one)

Sirius Online -- MB-AF3601FB7E34D2CB - Taken by septicore
Sirius Online #2 -- MB-C9D6B81785146215 - Taken by Popstar
Stellar 2D #2 -- MB-6CBB3F4C489BF429 - Taken by nightstorm

Pachimari

Thanks for this. I'll read it tomorrow.

No one wrote about The Witness? I'm surprised =/
Maybe there's still time for you to write up a summary and send it to Mr Orange? :)

This month is actually great. I already pre-ordered Dragon's Dogma and Resident Evil Zero last month. And now there's Oxenfree, The Witness and Rise of the Tomb Raider for the wishlist as well. My wishlist actually grew through the winter sales.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I have one steamgaf resolution this year!

It's to stop worrying about my backlog and see it as a library.
It feels so goddamn liberating.

gold-jerry.png

Yeah, I wish I could do that, but man my backlog is so damn huge.....

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
No one wrote about The Witness? I'm surprised =/

With how little Jonathan Blow has shown of it or spoken about it, it's a tough one to really 'write up', at least compared to some of the other options. Shame it isn't up there though, I agree. Both it and Firewatch are my two must-buys in the coming months!

Hektor

With how little Jonathan Blow has shown of it or spoken about it, it's a tough one to really 'write up', at least compared to some of the other options. Shame it isn't up there though, I agree. Both it and Firewatch are my two must-buys in the coming months!

Wait a minute, firewatch is supposed to release February too? I thought it was June or something.

Wow, next month is great too. Firewatch, Disgaea and Tales of Symphonia. Anything else coming out in February?

XCOM 2, Naruto and Street Fighter V

Hinomura

Hello,

a bit of thoughts about games I bought recently, please mind that most of them has been played just a bit:

Steredenn
ss_4f376defbc2be920e4c1f16d493d8bfdd3fcb199.600x338.jpg

Simple horizontal shmup, you can use two weapons you switch that you get randomly by defeating enemies. "fake" pixel art, that to me means the game had 8bit gfx but uses rotations, different resolutions for sprites / backgrounds / etc (that were not possible on 8bit hardware). It's very random but it's enough tasty. Not much different enemies, just different bosses. My advice is to consider it only if you are very passionate about shmups.

Halfway
ss_7841656a7e5e3097f934a9440943fa29c55d2f08.600x338.jpg

Turn tactics rpg, very charming. Story and backgrounds are intriguing, the battles I did were not so easy, so if you're a looking at a space 2d rpg witch turn based combat and interesting setting, you can consider it.

Dungeon Souls
ss_52edd72989160de994d4cbf56d57c9b744b41898.600x338.jpg

Probably I've been a bit burned out by this genre, but I found it quite amusing. Random dungeons and you have to "cleanse" places in order to proceed; random loot and enemies, several different characters kinds.

Planet Diver
ss_234937879c7d438ad0338fad350e287e76702114.600x338.jpg

Sorry dev, but I did not have fun at all. If I have to dive into a vertical pit the game I suggest is Downwell. I got even the impression it's a very amateurish game. Quitted in few minutes.

Blue Estate
ss_e083efa9de8aaa5ed87b34b0857913046ecc8ef0.600x338.jpg

Rail shooter, better played with lightgun (check Steam page about it). It's mindless fun, stupid and voluptuous characters, long levels, covers, bonuses, different weapons to switch, etc. Really, I bought it thinking it was pretty horrible, but it's a very well packed game. Do you miss House of the Dead, Time Crisis ot the magnificent Elemental Gearbolt? Blue Estate is calling for you.

Galacide
ss_4f91ef46200c0fef49a8a2e7353803cf6b4b633a.600x338.jpg

Galacide is a mix between a basic horizontal shmup and a puzzle game. You shoot enemies and you get stuff that helps you to clear the puzzle obstacles. I've been abused by puzzle games, so I had to quit, but it's pretty well packed.

Streets of Fury EX
ss_c9e125116cc97bfeab3c06c877d53e9ed6ab7ce3.600x338.jpg

Scrolling brawled that was a hit on Xbox (360 I suppose). Not bad, imagine Atari's Pit Fighter but with more moves, scrolling brawling, a ton of unlockable characters. There's even Breaking Bad Jesse Pinkman / Aaron Paul as a enemy. If you're crying because Namco didn't do any sequel to Urban Reign, this won't fix it but could help you.

Rebel Galaxy
ss_af43bf50a4a6f0369568988628deb12c4840df17.600x338.jpg

Gaf, I make a confession. I've been a huge arcade games enthusiast for so many years. A friend of mine introduced me to PC gaming when PC gaming meant RTS and Simulation games, but I hadn't the luck to play a lot of "space related" games. Probably for this reason I'm very fascinated for several kind of games which were related to PC gaming. That means, I loved every moment I've spent with Rebel Galaxy. Every thing seems very basic (it's not the marvellous Freespace 2), but even being very simple it was very charming.

Juju
ss_b94ebdaf487b3cf1c8392f84645043f076750fa7.600x338.jpg

'cause of an overdose, I can't stand platform games. At all. But my 10 yeas old daughter enjoys them, especially if they are good. Most of the time I'm playing *** (reserved for later), she plays Juju and has a lot of fun. Are you trusting a gameholic daughter rised with a Hori stick playing Dodonpachi? :)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/385250/[/b[
ss_173e16a266658300657ae9bf7141c0c74f65acfd.600x338.jpg

I hate hate hate hate saturday morning toons graphic. And it's everywhere. There are games I can't stand to play because of it. Paint it back is an exception, because is so GREAT, I have to recommend. Just to be a pain in the A**, I found a huge jump in difficulty: from I have not to use my brain at all because it' so simple to F**K what the hell is this... (solved in few dozens minutes). Anyway, if you loved Picross, this is a must.

Undertale
ss_9025a366676c26046b1d08e94ab1a73406aa11db.600x338.jpg

I know I won't be popular at all with this, but this is a game that does nothing to me. And to add fuel to the fire, I had the same problem with Life is Strange. Probably it's because I've seen so many movies and played so many games that I hadn't anything to surprise me. The gameplay is pretty basic, it's a mix of "avoid bullets" and choose the right answer, with a nice retro gfx and soundtrack. The story isn't the usual straight groups of events, but sadly it didn't nothing to me. If you aren't in the forties and if you haven't seen too many movies check it out.

Crypt of the Necrodancer
ss_e20262691e6e2ba5cdcc1e1c1800624c5f55f867.600x338.jpg

Another game that failed miserably to appeal to me. Little premise, I had mastered PSP DJ Max portable games, and played so many bemani games that my hands and fingers still hurt, but COTN did absolutely nothing to me. It's a dungeon crawler where you have to move rhythmically and according to enemy pattern. I've been bored to death :/ I know there's even Bard where you haven't to rhythmically move, but my interest died brutally. Again, I've been burned out by this genre.

<<<< Part 2 incoming! >>>>

And more...

Warrior King: Battles: 2003 strategy game with high consensus, played the tutorial it was fun.

Arthea

Of course Paint it Back is great, it's puzzle GOTY after all.

edited: I see my post is separated form one I was responding to

anyway, that was a nice post, Hinomura

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Wouldn't know what to say tbh!

It's the follow up to Braid and we've waited ages on it, he really hasn't said much about it after all =/

It looks kinda good and he said it won't be priced at AAA pricing.

Really we know almost nothing about it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
R9 390X ordered

My next upgrade will likely be a Freesync monitor, I hear that's a pretty worthwhile upgrade for the newer cards.

Pachimari

The hottest package in gaming.
I thought this was March?

It's gonna be really hard for me to resist both Rise of the Tomb Raider and Street Fighter V. Especially the latter, as that is very community driven. Oh well, I gotta skip them.

Uzzy

I thought this was March?

It's gonna be really hard for me to resist both Rise of the Tomb Raider and Street Fighter V. Especially the latter, as that is very community driven. Oh well, I gotta skip them.

February 16th. Hopefully that won't slip, it'd be awkward having to rebook the time off work.

XShagrath

I had my students submit quiz questions to me today for a little quiz game we're going to write this semester. I got two Valve-related questions from my two dozen students.

What is the first name of the founder and current CEO of Valve?
Gabe

How much does an AK-47 cost in CS:GO?
$2700

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom