• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Augustiner

Neo Member
Can anyone suggest a good fleet combat game?

I have been playing Fractured Space since it is free for the weekend. I love the idea of fleet combat games, especially with larger ships, and slower paced tactics. However, all of the micro-transactions and grind required to open up new ships has turned me off of that game, so I'm looking for something similar.

I see Battlefleet Gothic on the front page as well, which looks pretty close, but its not out until later this year. Can anyone more familiar with this genre offer some suggestions of something similar available now?

dex3108

Nah i can't read that Nvidia thread anymore. But i still can hope that one day we will get opinion/opinions from developer/s who actually worked with that tech instead of YouTube videos based on shallow information's.

Tizoc

Man, I finally picked up One Finger Death Punch when it went on sale a few days ago, based on how much some of you have raved about it, and finally got around to playing it.

My god. You were right. You were so, so right. For such a stupidly simple concept, this game is *amazing*

Yup game is that good and fun for playing in short bursts.
Dat nunchucku doe~

Red Hood

Banned
it's not very good, especially in a world where DXHR now exists. It was kinda tolerable before DXHR but there's no reason to go back.

It's simply not a very good game anymore, it was a mediocre game even when it came out

Nay. Is truly awful.

Yes, do it, it's a good game, the negative reaction it got is way overblown.

It's a big step down from the first but hell I've played far worse RPGs from last gen that got a great reception

Fuck it, I bought it, lol
€1,12 on GMG

I always had a feeling the overwhelmingly negative fan reception may have been a little bit exaggerated, but I suppose I'm about to find out for myself. For better or worse. My expectations are in check.

dex3108

This is what i meant when i said that color coding in RotTR is annoying

24681105646_03bb95039f_o.png
24079094644_30546e73f5_o.png
24681001176_0e7fe6d6f9_o.png
24339507699_0e5f170e9a_o.png

It really looks like some lunatic went around and painted those surfaces.

And then i come in situation like this

Lara can easily climb over that but no you need to go around to enter that room.

Things like this really break immersion in games.

tuxfool

Banned
Fuck it, I bought it, lol
€1,12 on GMG

I always had a feeling the overwhelmingly negative fan reception may have been a little bit exaggerated, but I suppose I'm about to find out for myself. For better or worse. My expectations are in check.

It is different, because that game was coming after the original DX. In isolation it is fine, but at the time it was such a massive step down. So if you're not coming from that perspective it should be enjoyable enough.

Playing more Street Fighter V and I like Rashid too.

Most Karin players I fought have no idea what they are doing.

That's my thoughts recently of SFV, have a good day.
Pretty dumb that you have to play the story mode to unlock the Alts AND still buy them with fight money. I need to see a post about fight money. If playing story mode nets me enough points to buy a costume then alright.

Lol. They are costumes. I doubt playing Story mode once will be enough to buy you a costume.

Also why are you so surprised you have to use the in game currency to buy a skin?

Jawmuncher

Playing more Street Fighter V and I like Rashid too.

Most Karin players I fought have no idea what they are doing.

That's my thoughts recently of SFV, have a good day.

Lol. They are costumes. I doubt playing Story mode once will be enough to buy you a costume.

Also why are you so surprised you have to use the in game currency to buy a skin?

Back in the day a alt costume could be unlocked. Pretty sure I recall SF4 Alts were unlocked in game if not already available.

Tizoc

Back in the day a alt costume could be unlocked. Pretty sure I recall SF4 Alts were unlocked in game if not already available.

I think you're thinking of a different game?
KoF Maximum Impact 2 had a bunch of unlockable outfits and it was released on the PS2.

You bought every single costume that wasn't just a color in Street Fighter 4 for the base costume. You only ever unlocked colors over all which then went to the costumes if you bought them. And in SFV you have the ability to get them with in game currency.

Jaw are you okay? Did you hit your head or are you just making shit up again? I get that you like SF4 because of Juri but this is ridiculous.

Parsnip

That gameworks thread (and threads like it) reveals who actually knows about this stuff and who only think they know about this stuff.

Anteater

So this is the first weekend in months I'm free. No family gumph to attend to, no football or mates to attend, no distractions and can do what I want. I've got Dragon's Dogma, Tomb Raider actively on the go, still Witcher III and Syndicate to finish off as well as betas for SFV and The Division to look at. And I'm not in the mood for any of them. I think I might just go down the pub.

You should forget about those, have you bought The Witness? If not you should buy and start that instead!

Jawmuncher

You bought every single costume that wasn't just a color in Street Fighter 4 for the base costume. You only ever unlocked colors over all which then went to the costumes if you bought them. And in SFV you have the ability to get them with in game currency.

Jaw are you okay? Did you hit your head or are you just making shit up again? I get that you like SF4 because of Juri but this is ridiculous.

That's what I'm saying though. Why are the games locked behind this in game currency? Why can't they just be an award for beating character story mode? If they would just put out fight money specifics it wouldn't be a problem. Alt costumes should be cheaper than any character substantially I would think.

That's what I'm saying though. Why are the games locked behind this in game currency? Why can't they just be an award for beating character story mode? If they would just put out fight money specifics it wouldn't be a problem. Alt costumes should be cheaper than any character substantially I would think.

Because not every game is Dead or Alive, where color pallets are the costumes for the most part and even that game has a bunch of costumes you can't get in game that you have to buy.

Why can't they be an award for story mode? Did you see how much money they made on DLC costumes in SF4? It won't be an award in SFV. We don't know the specifics of it so just wait. And yes a costume should be cheaper than a character.

Sch1sm

Because no casual is going to grind for that currency, which will make them give up and just buy everything instead. Capcom likes real money.

That feature was put into Ultra. It's very useful. Lobby mode is there in the beta, but the option is greyed out at the moment. Hopefully it'll be ready at launch.

The real reason to buy the game now is so you get Chun-Li's alt costume.

Is it steam limited or you get it from GMG or others too?

AHA-Lambda

ooh, Sunless Sea is weird and complicated off the bat =/

Started sailing with no idea where to go, saw a shar, tried to fight it and failed :p

Any tips, hints or advice?

Jawmuncher

Because not every game is Dead or Alive, where color pallets are the costumes for the most part and even that game has a bunch of costumes you can't get in game that you have to buy.

Why can't they be an award for story mode? Did you see how much money they made on DLC costumes in SF4? It won't be an award in SFV. We don't know the specifics of it so just wait. And yes a costume should be cheaper than a character.

Because no casual is going to grind for that currency, which will make them give up and just buy everything instead. Capcom likes real money.

Just seems sad. Like you can't just throw your fans a bone and let this one alt costume be for unlocking? Since there's gonna be a shit ton of DLC costumes people wil buy anyway. Games content is already sparse as it is at launch.

Just seems sad. Like you can't just throw your fans a bone and let this one alt costume be for unlocking? Since there's gonna be a shit ton of DLC costumes people wil buy anyway. Games content is already sparse as it is at launch.

Capcom.

Money.

EDIT: Actually on second thought Ill bite on your "content is sparse". Yes there isn't a lot of modes but, most people buying this at launch don't care about that as long as they can fight. Jaw I am going to say this as blunt as possible. Capcom doesn't really care about the casuals right now. Outside of the ones who are getting it because it's the new SF game, which also don't care about the lack of extra modes.

Soulflarz

Banned
Having just come off a replay of Uncharted 2, I'm really liking Rise. I just enjoy the core feel of the combat and greater control over the way Lara moves way more. Part of that comes from me realizing Uncharted 2 has not aged very well, which is a bummer since I once considered it real classic. Aside from the collectibles I've really enjoyed the side content in Rise, too, and I think the hub structure isn't bad. It doesn't feel too bloated and is just big enough to give you some options in what to do next. The optional tombs are pretty easy but they're fun to figure out.

While I disagree over how much fun RotTR's open world is (that's as subjective as one can get, it's not an arguing point, feel free to continue enjoying!), I can sadly agree Uncharted 2 did not age well. The core shooting is so very strong, but it's not enough to keep the game going for its length. The more notable issue is that on replays climbing feels like a waste of time, TR suffers this too.

Jawmuncher

Capcom.

Money.

EDIT: Actually on second thought Ill bite on your "content is sparse". Yes there isn't a lot of modes but, most people buying this at launch don't care about that as long as they can fight. Jaw I am going to say this as blunt as possible. Capcom doesn't really care about the casuals right now. Outside of the ones who are getting it because it's the new SF game, which also don't care about the lack of extra modes.

It's a shame they're pushing it out the door just for EVO.

-----

Killer Instinctt cup stream is currently going on. Talking about nerfs and buffs. Season 3 stuff soon.

maty

Good day SteamGAF, today's my birthday so I decided to treat myself with some games. :D

xUDVcwn.png

Anyway, a little raffle...

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (maty, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Goodbye Deponia -- MB-F903C912C621C97F - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 8 entrants total.
Before the Echo -- MB-5D314F443FE11758 - Taken by Costa1774. 4 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Remember Me -- MB-6631B1B258BDF17E - Taken by Regginator. 11 entrants total.
Lilly Looking Through -- MB-9C9D3CC79809D1DD - Taken by Mikurden. 2 entrants total.

t1454182455z1.png

Anteater

what's the dark zone

some dude helped me kill some dudes and I think I extracted some loot

some dude got killed while he's extracting loot and I think I raised him

I think I got some loot

Gather around poor chaps. Gather and marvel at top-tier GPUs in SLI/CrossFire. Your personal rigs won't probably experience this in their lifetimes.

GTX 980 Ti vs R9 Fury X SLI/CrossFire Face-Off at 4K

- AMD cards get in many games slightly more boost in CrossFire than Nvidia
- BUT AMDs frametimes (responsible for "stuttery feeling") are much worse than Nvidia in CrossFire
- some highly CPU bound games like GTAV will give very inconsistent gains, especially on AMD
- a few games fare preferably on AMD though (Ryse) and have microstutter on Nvidia (Crysis 3)
- at this point probably CPU limiting factor

Very interesting to see highest of high hardware configs. 4K gaming maxed out is still a long time away.

Not quite there when it comes to playable 4K higher framerates, still it's crazy to see how far it's come in the last few years.

I sense the presence of an AMD user :)

AyyyMDlmao :)

Anteater

Good day SteamGAF, today's my birthday so I decided to treat myself with some games. :D

xUDVcwn.png

Anyway, a little raffle...

happy birthday

everyone who don't already own Remember Me should enter the raffle if just for the pretty awesome environment design, game looks hella good visually especially for a last gen game, just fails at everything else but they aren't that bad.

y4q8f.jpg

Knurek

Not quite there when it comes to playable 4K higher framerates, still it's crazy to see how far it's come in the last few years.

Well, anyone expecting anything else with 4kp60 on High settings on Crisis 3?
I mean, my 970 is good enough to 4kp60 with headroom to spare on previous gen titles (except for TitS and FFXIII), so the games they tested should be okay provided you do some selective tinkering with the settings.

mp1990

Banned
happy birthday

everyone who don't already own Remember Me should enter the raffle if just for the pretty awesome environment design, game looks hella good visually especially for a last gen game, just fails at everything else but they aren't that bad.

y4q8f.jpg

Even on the PS3 hardware this game already looked stunning, i can't even imagine how incredible is must be on a high end PC.

Also, I'm one of the few who enjoyed the other aspects of Remember Me aside from the artstyle. The combat is pretty shallow and the story is just a bunch of clichés thrown together, but i found it to be serviceable enough for me to go through 8 hours without no problems.

Anteater

if i import my steam friendlist on uplay and requested for them to add me

does it tell them my steam name

anyway you guys should accept Dageram who looks like James Gordon to your friendlist, that's me!

Even on the PS3 hardware this game already looked stunning, i can't even imagine how incredible is must be on a high end PC.

Also, I'm one of the few who enjoyed the other aspects of Remember Me aside from the artstyle. The combat is pretty shallow and the story is just a bunch of clichés thrown together, but i found it to be serviceable enough for me to go through 8 hours without no problems.

yeah, I didn't mind the combat/platforming/gameplay, they're not actually bad, just nothing special, I think it's a Enslaved tier action adventure game, if they do like a narrative driven game based in neo Paris like Life is Strange, it'd be hella cool tho

Uzzy

Is it steam limited or you get it from GMG or others too?

You can get it from GMG. Others too probably.

It's a shame they're pushing it out the door just for EVO.

I'm quite glad were getting it for EVO. Another year without it on the pro tour would suck.

Obviously I'd prefer it to launch with a load of modes and single player content too, but given the choice I'd take it headlining EVO everytime.

Jawmuncher

You can get it from GMG. Others too probably.

I'm quite glad were getting it for EVO. Another year without it on the pro tour would suck.

Obviously I'd prefer it to launch with a load of modes and single player content too, but given the choice I'd take it headlining EVO everytime.

I don't get anything out of EVO though.
Still I understand their plans, but still wish they'd put out a bit more info especially this close to release.

Sch1sm

Premature Review of the Day.

Toby: The Secret Mine - CDN$10.99 on the store, or USD$1 at indiegamestand as derExperte shared last night. It'll be $1 for about... 3.5 more days.

So, it starts on the premise of residents of the area are being kidnapped, and this kid, Toby, decides it's a great idea to go after them to rescue his fellow people from some strange guy who gets enjoyment from caging people and hanging them in weird places. The entire game is just a chase. Not the Mad Max: Fury Road sort of chase, though, it's too slow paced for that.

It's inspiration from Limbo is clear. I can't really speak to Nihilumbra because I never played it, but the art style is incredibly similar. You can get that from its Steam header alone. Limbo with colours and music. I personally found that was something Limbo lacked - music. It makes the chase, especially the one here, that much better. They paid good attention to that detail. It's not just the same songs looping over, and over, thank God. The change in colours is pretty good for the atmosphere to each level (there's 2x). It's less depressing compared to Limbo, at least, the black/white background got to me. The puzzles aren't really puzzles, well. Up to the 5th level. It's more, "here, we gave it away on a little sign," or "it's really, really obvious you need to go hit this lever to get this block so you can advance." Standard for "puzzle"-platformers, I think. You know? What puzzle? The only thing I've found obscure is finding the way to hidden passages.

Game is apparently pretty short. I don't see it as anything greatly different from Limbo, though. Nothing incredibly special. It's okay. Worth a buck, not so much the asking price.

E: Happy birthday, Maty. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom