• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished up Pony Island but I didn't get what the fuss was about. I thought it was alright, sort of cute, but not very fun at all.

The fun of the game was in the story.
You're playing a game coded by Satan except he's terrible at coding and game design, so you hack your way to better games and then eventually freedom. That's, like, hilarious. Doesn't matter how simple the gameplay is, I'm having a good time with that concept.

What game are you playing? I'd like to know so I can avoid it.

I feel like such a SteamGAF insider when I can keep up with ongoing posts that never mention the game's name like Rhaknar's FF13 playthrough.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I feel like such a SteamGAF insider when I can keep up with ongoing posts that never mention the game's name like Rhaknar's FF13 playthrough.

it was still my bad for not mentioning the game tho, it was a rage post, aint noone got time to think when rage posting damn it!

And speaking of following ongoing posts, this shit is making me think of all those Furi posts and how you waste 20mins for 1 atempt, although in that case you waste 20mins to get to the boss, here you get to the boss and waste 20mins and not kill him :p

Either way, I should probably never play Furi

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

The real moment of feeling like an insider is not only knowing that we're discussing FF13 here, but also being able to follow along with what Tizoc is suggesting.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The real moment of feeling like an insider is not only knowing that we're discussing FF13 here, but also being able to follow along with what Tizoc is suggesting.

that just means you all love Final Fantasy XIII even tho you all pretend you hate it :3

I have Final Fantasy XIII downloaded (largely after reading that sales thread where people were bickering over XIII vs VX). Byt I've never played beyond the first few hours because I had a weird controller bug where pushing the analog stick straight up would walk instead of run. But I recently discovered that the Steam Controller doesn't have this issue so I'm finally going to play this incomprehensible game.

Basically, I understand Tizoc's post enough to know that no mortal should understand it, not fully.

Backlogger

I'll probably get ejected from SteamGAF but I haven't played a FF game since FF8 on my PS1. I really loved FF2-3 on SNES but couldn't get into any others after that.

Wok

Roach content is cut from Cook Serve Delicious 2. Sad! NO WAY!

Deleted Content: Roach Patrol

Sometimes you just don't know what's going to work and not work until you put it into the game. An idea can get really far along, to the point of having final art drawn for it, until you realize it's just not gonna work out. I wanted to take the time and salute a chore I had planned for the game that I am cutting...the Roaches chore.

See, if you didn't throw the trash and let it expire, you had a 50% chance of having to kill roaches with bug spray. If you let that happen enough times in a single day, a superroach could appear and take twice as long to kill. What I found was that going from delicious plates of food to staring at disgusting roaches was quite a jarring element. Sure, that was intentional as no one wants roaches running around in their kitchen, but it was a bit too much. With the hyper-realism I'm aiming for with the food, having HD roaches with enough detail to make out their hairy legs was just a tad overboard. So, I'm cutting it from the final game. RIP roaches.

361d71c4e95015a1383f700d65f8b230f2cfbfb1.png

RIP, superroach.

da9a77158c813b6c9f404fb96bb07544185696e3.png

And RIP bug spray, which kills me inside that I'm cutting since it was such a good Starship Troopers reference.

d4a72b50d3357cc8cf08ce5440573f950874eb83.png

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'll probably get ejected from SteamGAF but I haven't played a FF game since FF8 on my PS1. I really loved FF2-3 on SNES but couldn't get into any others after that.

Don't let the batch of former/on-again-off-again Sony-Gaffers trick you into thinking that Final Fantasy is some high watermark of taste, relevancy, and dignity. Its rise and fall neatly coincides with the apex of Limp Bizkit, fruitopia soft drinks, and wearing ties with t-shirts.

Sendou

I have never played a Final Fantasy game outside of Tactics Advance. Not really sure where to start at this point either.

If you need someone to stand with you on this then I will. I never liked FF and I only played Final Fantasy 7 and Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn and watched a friend play 8.

Uzzy

'I should have rubber stamped execution papers round the clock, so many snakes'

High Chaos Emily is something else. Really enjoying my new game plus playthrough of Dishonoured 2.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Ya'll are towing a very fine line here

I kid

Don't let the batch of former/on-again-off-again Sony-Gaffers trick you into thinking that Final Fantasy is some high watermark of taste, relevancy, and dignity. Its rise and fall neatly coincides with the apex of Limp Bizkit, fruitopia soft drinks, and wearing ties with t-shirts.

If you need someone to stand with you on this then I will. I never liked FF and I only played Final Fantasy 7 and Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn and watched a friend play 8.

Party itt

zkylon

zkylewd
i think my ff order is

7 > 6 > tactics > 4 (the cecil one) > 8 > 12 > 10 > 5 (the one you keep changing jobs, i hate that one)

purely personal preference, and i honestly wish i remembered more about 9 to rate it

is the pc port any good? or should i just play it on emulator?

i know i got the cd somewhere

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Amen to that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
i think my ff order is

7 > 6 > tactics > 4 (the cecil one) > 8 > 12 > 10 > 5 (the one you keep changing jobs, i hate that one)

purely personal preference, and i honestly wish i remembered more about 9 to rate it

is the pc port any good? or should i just play it on emulator?

i know i got the cd somewhere

It's fine aside from the upscaled pre-rendered backgrounds, but that's to be expected.

5 and Tactics are good. 10 and 12 are fine too.

And the part in 7 where Cloud crossdresses is alright. The PS1 mainline entries are pretty rough otherwise. I don't even really acknowledge 8 as a real game, just a kind of accessory piece to Tetra Master Triple Triad. I can't get my game usurping CCG names right.

I finished FF-XIII - 1. I was no wiser, nor any more convinced of the merits of FF at the end of it and the story was complete nonsense. There were strange little cactus guys running around so there's that I suppose.

Rhaknar

I finished FF-XIII - 1. I was no wiser, nor any more convinced of the merits of FF at the end of it and the story was complete nonsense. There were strange little cactus guys running around so there's that I suppose.

you lie, those cacti guys arent in FFXIII :(

zkylon

zkylewd
true JRPG order list

Xeno games > SMT mainline > DQ > SMT spinoffs not called Persona > Pokemon > FF >>>>>>> Persona >>>>>> TALES >>>>>>>>>>>> Star Ocean
no suikoden or chrono trigger?

ehhh, that makes list invalid for me

(not to mention breath of fire, how can u not like breath of fire 3 ;_;)

It's fine aside from the upscaled pre-rendered backgrounds, but that's to be expected.
that's not gonna be any better on the emulator version, so might as well buy it on pc

5 and Tactics are good. 10 and 12 are fine too.

And the part in 7 where Cloud crossdresses is alright. The PS1 mainline entries are pretty rough otherwise. I don't even really acknowledge 8 as a real game, just a kind of accessory piece to Tetra Master Triple Triad. I can't get my game usurping CCG names right.
i rate fairly high mostly because the music, triple triad (that's how i know it :p) and the amazing animated cg backgrounds were all really good and impressed me so much when i was a kid

i also like the battle system a whole bunch as well as some other minor details like weapon upgrades and magic as consumables. it's not super deep or anything, but i liked it way more than 7 at least

Ozium

no suikoden or chrono trigger?

ehhh, that makes list invalid for me

(not to mention breath of fire, how can u not like breath of fire 3 ;_;)

never really played suikoden games or bof series so I didn't rate them.. and chrono trigger isn't really a series but I would put it near DQ

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I think it'll be a long time before I pick up Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - Super Scary Chomper Edition.

Regenerating health and checkpoints is just not what I want in a Resident Evil game at all, and having to pre-order (which I can't do) or beating the game first to unlock a difficulty mode without those would be a chore. Denuvo does not help.

zkylon

zkylewd
never really played suikoden games or bof series so I didn't rate them.. and chrono trigger isn't really a series but I would put it near DQ
you should play the suikoden games sometime

they really hold up

breath of fire i like 3 a lot, but idk about the series as a whole

chrono trigger is great, how can u not like it -__-

I'd say Persona > FF any day. Persona improves things by releases while FF is a mixed bag
i actually appreciate that you never know what you're gonna get with final fantasies

i think that's why i actually like the series so much, even if the individual games aren't that great they still dare to throw it all away and create something entirely new every time

ffx-2 or the lighting games are very disappointing to me

vermadas

The SNES FF games were fantastic. 7 was okay. 9 was good. 10 is one of the most awful high production games I've ever played. Don't plan on playing another Final Fantasy game again.

Though I stay away from pretty much all traditional JRPGs nowadays.

i rate fairly high mostly because the music, triple triad (that's how i know it :p) and the amazing animated cg backgrounds were all really good and impressed me so much when i was a kid

i also like the battle system a whole bunch as well as some other minor details like weapon upgrades and magic as consumables. it's not super deep or anything, but i liked it way more than 7 at least
I really liked the Final Fantasy series as a kid, I was a late bloomer with the genre with 7 being my first real introduction to RPGs as a whole, but I found that as my critical thinking skills developed, the less I actually liked the series. Which isn't to imply anything negative to those that do like it, just that I was less willing to form feelings based on hype or magazine praise, or be wowed by how "big" the games were because of how many discs they used, and that I found my own tastes aligning more with mechanics and systems and less FMV cutscenes and summon animations and presentational things like that. It's why FFT and FFV still rate highly to me. FF8 I tend to peg as the Oblivion of the series in just how busted it is with things like its enemy scaling and having one of the worst battle systems since FF2, but it is just fun to abuse it and do things like having each of your standard attacks inflict an absurd amount of status ailments.

That said, I was super into Eyes On Me in eighth grade. Almost embarrassingly so. No, definitely.

Wozzer

Have never been able to appreciate JRPGs (or even Japanese games in general), and absolutely loathe Final Fantasy 7 having tried to get past the first disc several times and not understanding the overwhelming praise at all.

I'm trying to repent though with 2017! Decided to start off with Chrono Trigger which I finished last week, and it was fantastic from start to end. I'm now a few hours into FF6 which I'm also thoroughly enjoying so far. I've also got both Nier Automata and Persona 5 on pre-order.

Aside from JRPG's specifically I'm also on the last boss of Ys: The Oath in Felghana, and it has put both that series and Falcom on my radar looking at both Xanadu and further Ys games in the near future.

AswSE1L.gif

Mivey

Namco doesn't put much money in Tales of anymore. They all feel rushed, incomplete and cheap to a certain degree after Vesperia.
That's the complete opposite of Square's approach to FF. Takes decades and costs a small nations budget, though still incomplete.

Ozium

so idlemaster is finally done? keeps saying the badge page didn't load and will retry.. had this problem last night as well and closed and reopened steam didn't work, and I just now rebooted my whole computer to install a new gpu driver and it is still doing it..

:(

and I can open my badge page just fine btw

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Namco doesn't put much money in Tales of anymore. They all feel rushed, incomplete and cheap to a certain degree after Vesperia.

Some feel rushed but overall you know what to expect from them. Sure they are not outstanding but they keep consistency on their quality which in a way is like comfort food that might not be the best but somehow manages to hit the spot.

That's the complete opposite of Square's approach to FF. Takes decades and costs a small nations budget, though still incomplete.
Go in!!!!

zkylon

zkylewd
I really liked the Final Fantasy series as a kid, I was a late bloomer with the genre with 7 being my first real introduction to RPGs as a whole, but I found that as my critical thinking skills developed, the less I actually liked the series. Which isn't to imply anything negative to those that do like it, just that I was less willing to form feelings based on hype or magazine praise, or be wowed by how "big" the games were because of how many discs they used, and that I found my own tastes aligning more with mechanics and systems and less FMV cutscenes and summon animations and presentational things like that. It's why FFT and FFV still rate highly to me. FF8 I tend to peg as the Oblivion of the series in just how busted it is with things like its enemy scaling and having one of the worst battle systems since FF2, but it is just fun to abuse it and do things like having each of your standard attacks inflict an absurd amount of status ailments.

That said, I was super into Eyes On Me in eighth grade. Almost embarrassingly so. No, definitely.
idk, i get what you mean, and i definitely have some nostalgia element to ff7 considering the age i had when i played it for the first time and how it blew my mind at the time, but i just feel like mechanics is a bad point to compare final fantasies on since honestly i think they're all pretty weak in that regard, except fftactics (idk about the ones i didn't play like 13 or 2)

to me, final fantasy games are all about the "scenes", the big memorable moments that stay with you forever, and for me, there's none better that ff7 in that regard

even if it's a really cheesy game and the story kind of doesn't make any sense (when has it in final fantasy lol), it's really a huge parade of memorable scenes and it's just an unforgettable game

i don't think it's the best game of all time or anything, but it's definitely one of my favorites

Nabs

Have never been able to appreciate JRPGs (or even Japanese games in general), and absolutely loathe Final Fantasy 7 having tried to get past the first disc several times and not understanding the overwhelming praise at all.

I'm trying to repent though with 2017! Decided to start off with Chrono Trigger which I finished last week, and it was fantastic from start to end. I'm now a few hours into FF6 which I'm also thoroughly enjoying so far. I've also got both Nier Automata and Persona 5 on pre-order.

Aside from JRPG's specifically I'm also on the last boss of Ys: The Oath in Felghana, and it has put both that series and Falcom on my radar looking at both Xanadu and further Ys games in the near future.

http://i.imgur.com/AswSE1L.gif

Good stuff. I still haven't gotten into many JRPGs, but I'm loving JARPGs right now. I'm currently playing Pandora's Tower and I'm liking it so far (5hrs in). It makes me wonder what a Nintendo supported 2006 Falcom game would have been like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom