• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2017 - Magical Pyres can't melt Cold Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean I have a 4k tv, 144hz monitor and great pc so I always would love the best but my first system and game was on the b&w gameboy so honestly I find myself in a constant state of amazement that I don't mind the small, terrible screen for the games I love lol

When the game's good enough it usually doesn't matter tbh. I enjoyed several 3DS games, Theatrhythm being one of the best games I've ever played.

But when the option was there for MH3U to just play on a console with a comfortable pad in 1080p? Why the fuck would I ever go back to the handheld ghetto? Capcom are evil as fuck for releasing 3U but not 4U.

shit top of the page, quick someone post an anime gif to get us back on topic

Durante

dba.gif

That Cold Steel port is looking sweet, based Durante.

I'm kinda bummed because I don't see myself ever finding the time to replay these.
These games are friggin' huge and I have so many games piled up that I want to check out.
When you're constantly complaining about your backlog and not being able to keep up with even 1% of new releases, putting aside 200 hours to replay a couple of games sounds like mission impossible.
Maybe a few years from now, if I'm still alive, I'll replay the whole trilogy on PC.

Ascheroth

That Cold Steel port is looking sweet, based Durante.

I'm kinda bummed because I don't see myself ever finding the time to replay these.
These games are friggin' huge and I have so many games piled up that I want to check out.
When you're constantly complaining about your backlog and not being able to keep up with even 1% of new releases, putting aside 200 hours to replay a couple of games sounds like mission impossible.
Maybe a few years from now, if I'm still alive, I'll replay the whole trilogy on PC.
That's why you just wait for the PC release to begin with :p

That's why you just wait for the PC release to begin with :p

Pretty hard to say no to a 50% discount on PSN at a time when a PC port seemed like a pipe dream. Oh well.
At least I can spend the rest of the year catching up with some of the new releases I missed earlier this year, assuming they'll become cheap enough so I can afford them.
Right now I still need to finish P5 and Tits3. Bought both at launch and still not even close to finishing either.

Coreda

Durante probably knows this, but some publishers who read this might not. Although everything in this post is great news, I wanted to highlight four specific things that cost very little to implement and are HUGE quality of life issues:

3) Choice of button prompts. Xbox fans don't want playstation prompts, Playstation fans don't want Xbox Prompts, and no one wants text that says JOY11 or whatever the fucking weird-ass button name is for a given button. Please implement the major button sets and allow choice of button prompts visually.

I wish every game had some the option, even if it wasn't auto-detected, to switch to DualShock controller icon prompt textures, rather than having to mod it into various games. Even if it were just within some INI.

Zia

Super Random Key Drop EX Turbo

ModBot said:
Instructions for Zia:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys and 1 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Zia, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

t1cxE6r.gif
Grid 2 -- MB-55A99E2EB919B565 - Taken by Orakio Rob
t1cxE6r.gif
Sonic Generations -- MB-A4A758BB896521F6 - Taken by ThirtyFour
Arma 2: DayZ Mod -- MB-8A9F3346E108084E - Taken by gabbo
Bejeweled 3 -- MB-D85283A09454FED5 - Taken by Ladekabel
Final Fantasy XV: A Realm Reborn (Square Enix Online Store Thing Key, Not Steam) -- MB-AA046E16952E5705 - Taken by Mike Bison
Puzzle Agent 2 -- MB-3305DD6E50ED1A4D - Taken by famfrit
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 Episode 1 -- MB-62694C192C9BE27B - Taken by Dangerblade
Saints Row 2 -- MB-F718BBED20044E64 - Taken by GrinningColossus
Saints Row: The Third -- MB-10AF0C5086423DBD - Taken by texhnolyze
vRvbDCu.png
The Sims 3: Date Night (Origin Key) -- MB-7DC97BC43707D0C0 - Taken by fifasnipe2224

rahji

beat the last boss in devil may cry on son of sparda difficulty. hell, he beat me 10 times before I could put him on the ground. next stop, dante must die difficulty. I feel really challenged by that game.

Tizoc

beat the last boss in devil may cry on son of sparda difficulty. hell, he beat me 10 times before I could put him on the ground. next stop, dante must die difficulty. I feel really challenged by that game.

Capcom games tend to have a rather high difficulty, even in games without any form of difficult, like the Megaman games.

rahji

just played the first mission on dante must die difficulty. Dante must die should be the hardest difficulty. Somehow I managed not to die and got an SSS ranking for the mission. This playthrough will be a wild ride I can feel it.

So PUBG, looks fun, I watch a lot of Giant Bomb so I watch a lot of it and the situations are funny. Overall it looks like a great game and I am happy for its success, and I would be fine with it winning GOTY or whatever. Now one thing I am curious about is why people keep saying it is so innovative. Is it not essentially Day Z or King of the Hill or any number of different ARMA 3 mods with a slight twist on the game mode of kill everyone? I feel like this is the Day Z craze of 2 or 3 years ago again.

To recap, it looks like a great game, I enjoy watching it but I am just confused at all the "innovation" and "fresh ideas" talk. Also Giant Bomb keeps mentioning how a lot of games in the future will have "Battle Royale Mode" but that is just Death Match (with no respawns).

Ibuki

Banned
So PUBG, looks fun, I watch a lot of Giant Bomb so I watch a lot of it and the situations are funny. Overall it looks like a great game and I am happy for its success, and I would be fine with it winning GOTY or whatever. Now one thing I am curious about is why people keep saying it is so innovative. Is it not essentially Day Z or King of the Hill or any number of different ARMA 3 mods with a slight twist on the game mode of kill everyone? I feel like this is the Day Z craze of 2 or 3 years ago again.

To recap, it looks like a great game, I enjoy watching it but I am just confused at all the "innovation" and "fresh ideas" talk. Also Giant Bomb keeps mentioning how a lot of games in the future will have "Battle Royale Mode" but that is just Death Match (with no respawns).

This is the definitive Battle Royale game made by the same guy who made the ARMA Battle Royale mod.

patapuf

I know and I am happy he was able to do what Rocket(?) couldnt and that is make a playable and fun Day Z type game that got main stream success.

I don't think the comparison with survival games is all that usefull. PUBG (and King of the Kill) are round based death match type games that differentiate themselves with the scale of the map and the number of opponents. It also has very different shooting mechanics from what we usually see in mainstream shooters.

Survival games are much more about roleplay, looting, crafting and persistence that makes surviving meaningful.

I don't think the comparison with survival games is all that usefull. PUBG (and King of the Kill) are round based death match type games that differentiate themselves with the scale of the map and the number of opponents. It also has very different shooting mechanics from what we usually see in mainstream shooters.

Survival games are much more about roleplay, looting, crafting and persistence that makes surviving meaningful.

Fair enough. Speaking of which, I really hope DICE makes a "Battle Royale" with the Battlefield engine.

Grief.exe

It's only on PC right now, that has about a zero percent chance to win GOTY on gaf.

Unless you're referring to the steam GOTY vote, which is fine by me. Though, it's a competitive year and the game needs to come out of EA to be eligible.

That doesn't even look like a typical Monster Hunter game, has more similarities to Bayonetta!

Looks great though

yuraya

Arma was too complex and hardcore for gaming journalism to ever shill for it in any way. So a lot of the modding scene with it went under the radar for many years. Neither GAF nor gaming media ever talked about the Battle Royale mod. At least not that I remember of. I do remember watching it on Twitch when it first became popular and being amazed at how fun it was to watch. It was so much more methodical too because of the game being a military simulator. Everything now like PUBG and H1Z1 is so much more arcadey. I think these 2 games hit that perfect casual and hardcore balance to the point where it blew up big time. So now everyone is in love with it. The DayZ stuff was more in line with the Rust/ARK phenomena than this Battle Royale stuff I think.

I agree its not innovative but its still like a genre that is a work in progress. It feels refreshing compared to other multiplayer shooters these days. There is a lot of potential in it. That is why everyone is eager to see other devs try copying the design.

MUnited83

For you.

Not, it's not anything like DayZ at all.
PUBG is the ultimate culmination of the genre into a full game that is good. It's made by the dude that basically invented the genre and had a hand in every successful iteration of it. Just imagine started an entire new gaming genre out of a mod they made, and have worked long and hard to polish and improve the concept. PUBG takes all he has done and put it into the best package it ever had
A Battle Royale mode is a lot more than Death Match with no respawns vtw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom