• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I missed it, but did Steam kill off Sniper Elite v2 early? Both the website and client lead to 'Whoops, broken link' pages when i try to install it

I visited the steam site after I read this and I get this:

Sorry
The Steam Store is experiencing some heavy load right now. Please try again later.

Gabe is real.

Salsa

it'd be great if DR3 was a definitive "All DLC included" thing like late PC releases do but Capcom looooves to sell that DLC

I heard that Operation Broken Eagle DLC on DR3 is good

Authority

Banned
Had another interesting day. Malware Anti-Malware was conflicting with MSE so I had to remove it from the start up. Kept wondering what was going on with ram the past few days at the start so I had to remove some other shit as well.

Anyhow,

If you are wondering what is all buzz the with Dead Rising 3 you should check it out but be warned
The First 25 Minutes of Dead Rising 3
. It has sold 1.2m roughly on Xbox One. It is quite an outstanding 25m entry and it has this strange reminisce to Sunset Overdrive; killing monsters in a fun and humours way.

Apart from that, Murdered: Soul Suspect has a greant concept but poorly executes it. It is neither highly polished nor PC users will experience the smoothnes of i.e DMC Devil May Cry from what it seems. It has got quite allot of technical issues which personally disconnected me from the immersion and that was the most disappointing thing. Apart from that, each time you progressed into another environment/building/area you would have to press ENTER like in the sub-levels of Dishonest and taking into consideration the already limited space it feels like suffocating.

Does it deserve 50 and below? I would argue 60-64 should be an adequate score. If you are into detective-type-of-games L.A Noire is the best there is and for something different you can also go back and play Syberia series.

In other news,

Stardock: "Our poorest-selling DLC for PC games generates more income than nearly every iOS or Android developer app"
galciv3_0.jpg

Stardock, purveyor of strategy, released its Annual Customer Report for 2014 today, teasing the future of both developer and publisher. Since it’s over 20 pages long, I’m here to break down the highlights for you. No need to thank me, I’d do it for anyone.

Stardock’s got eight games on the go right now - thanks to money invested from the sale of Impulse in 2011 - only two of which have been announced: Galactic Civilizations 3 and Offworld Trading company. Six unannounced titles strikes me as rather a lot. I’ve only got one.

Of course, these games are all going to be distributed digitally, but according to Stardock, that will have come as a surprise to around a quarter of its customers.

“Only five years ago, our survey showed that 58% of our customers bought their software in a box, at retail,” said Brad Wardell, Stardock’s CEO. “Further, 24% of them expected to be still doing so five years from then. In reality, it turned out to be 6%. Retail disappeared even faster than our tech-savvy customer base imagined it would.”

Despite primarily being a PC publisher and developer, Stardock did look into the mobile market. It’s just not viable, said Wardell. “Our poorest-selling DLC for PC games generates more income than nearly every iOS or Android developer app we’ve gotten numbers for.”

Of the two games it’s announced, Galactic Civilizations is likely the most anticipated. Wardell gave a release window of spring 2015, but mentioned that a wide beta would kick off this summer. Oh yeah, and it’s going to incorporate 3D printing.

“Another new feature we’re excited about is 3D printing support,” said Wardell. “Players will be able to export the starships they design to be 3D printed. We suspect this feature will become quite compelling as it develops.”

Sins of Solar Empire continues to be Stardock’s best-selling game, but surprisingly, it’s Elemental that’s poised to become Stardock Entertainment’s most popular franchise. “Despite its rough start, the franchise has developed a popular following with year-after-year growth in revenue (which is backwards from the norm – sales normally decline over time). We anticipate it becoming our most popular franchise this year (until, at least, Galactic Civilizations III ships) largely due to the popularity of DLC for it,” Wardell explained.

With this in mind, a third game in the Elemental Universe is being worked on. “This one will include crafting, asymmetrical gameplay, spell research, and have a much greater focus on magic battling,” teases Wardell.

Credits to PCGamesN

Lasty, Heavy Rain Parody in GTA - You have 3m to cut your penis

As for me, I am currently playing Devil May Cry 4.

Man, Strike Vector is really rough around the edges but it's exiting and thrashy, more people need to buy this, the servers are so empty.

nexen

Man, Strike Vector is really rough around the edges but it's exiting and thrashy, more people need to buy this, the servers are so empty.

The premise and videos excite me, but its too damned expensive and multi-player only indie games are a terrible gamble.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Looks like Defiance is finally making their planned changeover to being free to play.

The premise and videos excite me, but its too damned expensive and multi-player only indie games are a terrible gamble.

I felt the same way, but finally jumped in. I only regret the empty servers, played with this one dedicated guy for about 30 minutes and he taught me how to play. It's really enjoyable, kinda a shame.

kris.

Banned
shouldn't have bought mortal kombat. forgot that every time i play it, i end up throwing my controller in blind rage and quitting mid-fight. fuck you, ermac.

Garcia

About Bastion's Narrator: As soon as I turned off his voice, the game transformed into a much more enjoyable (even mysterious) experience. The subtitles work in favor of the adventure and sense of discovery.

The gameplay is impeccable; responsive and fast, exactly how a game of its nature should be. Upgradable items are a great feature and having the freedom of choosing the Bastion's progression adds another check to the list.

Now that I'm enjoying the game quite a lot I must say I wish they had chosen a different voice actor for the narration. The current guy uses exactly the same intonation everytime; it gets repetitive in a matter of seconds; there's no intention or feeling imprinted into his interventions, as if he went through the script in a single sitting.

I was wondering: Is Transistor plagued with narration as well? I'll definitely go get that game once I'm done with Bastion.

About Bastion's Narrator: As soon as I turned off his voice, the game transformed into a much more enjoyable (even mysterious) experience. The subtitles work in favor of the adventure and sense of discovery.

The gameplay is impeccable; responsive and fast, exactly how a game of its nature should be. Upgradable items are a great feature and having the freedom of choosing the Bastion's progression adds another check to the list.

Now that I'm enjoying the game quite a lot I must say I wish they had chosen a different voice actor for the narration. The current guy uses exactly the same intonation everytime; it gets repetitive in a matter of seconds; there's no intention or feeling imprinted into his interventions, as if he went through the script in a single sitting.

I was wondering: Is Transistor plagued with narration as well? I'll definitely go get that game once I'm done with Bastion.

There is a voice-over but it's a bit different than the narrator in Bastion.

Lomax

Looks like Defiance is finally making their planned changeover to being free to play.

I'd definitely recommend anyone who liked Borderlands give Defiance a shot, it's a lot of fun and the dynamic events keep the world feeling alive. It also has the best integration I've seen of what is essentially achievements with the regular game play, providing reason both to explore and to finish off side quests but also to make your own path. Honestly my only real complaint about the game is the lack of outfit variety for your character.

All that said, last I checked the servers are still down for the changeover and won't be back up for a while. And you may want to wait a few weeks for them to iron out whatever issues are certain to develop.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Since DR3 is coming to Steam I kinda hope Ryse does too. It looked pretty great and might be in a similar position to the Capcom deal.

jediyoshi

I'll check some videos to compared both narrators.

I'm not against the narration element at all, actually; my main issue with Bastion is the lack of variety and dynamism of each consecutive dialogue.

You mean the fact it's just the single person narrating? Otherwise I take it you don't play with any dialogue in any games at all.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

It's not really the same as Rucks/Bastion's narration but there is an element similar to it. Instead of talking to the fourth wall Transistor's ever-present vocal character is a secondary protagonist who speaks to the character you're playing and feels a lot more natural as it is dialog instead of some faux-noir thing.

I found it a little whiny from time to time but that was really his worst crime.

I never thought to do this. Thanks, I have to go back and try Bastion again. The narration really turned me off.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I'll check some videos to compared both narrators.

I'm not against the narration element at all, actually; my main issue with Bastion is the lack of variety and dynamism of each consecutive dialogue.

There's a lot of variety in the dialogue though, there's even some that you might not prompt to play on your first playthrough. Or do you mean that it's the same guy/tone of voice?

Bastion's narration was one of the coolest parts of its presentation. There were an impressive amount of nuance in what he'd respond to, it really gave the feeling like the game was acknowledging everything I was doing.

Authority

Banned
AMD and Nvidia are having ago at eachother,

A fair amount of controversy has erupted around the use of GameWorks, specifically from Nvidia rival AMD, who recently told Forbes that it “represents a clear and present threat to gamers by deliberately crippling performance on AMD products.” Nvidia fired back, stressing that those claims were “crazy.”

“Working with NVIDIA has enabled us to bring an enhanced gameplay experience to our PC players,” said Tony Key, senior vice president of sales and marketing at Ubisoft. “We look forward to continuing our partnership with NVIDIA on our biggest upcoming titles.”

While there’s no argument that Nvidia’s GameWorks enhances the visuals of PC titles, Ubisoft’s PC version of Watch Dogs was universally panned at launch — not critically, but from a performance point of view. Digital Foundry concluded that “even on powerful gaming hardware” Watch Dogs exhibited excessive stuttering and aggressive use of Video memory. “Even going nuclear and throwing a top-end 290X at the problem didn’t produce a satisfactory experience,” according to their analysis.

While this is strictly anecdotal, several of my readers have expressed disdain over Ubisoft’s PC releases in general, citing issues like poor performance or the company’s UPlay service, which was down for a good portion of Watch Dogs‘ launch day.

Ubisoft has promised to patch Watch Dogs in the very near future, but hopefully they can work more closely with Nvidia on high profile releases like Assassin’s Creed Unity not just on integrating GameWorks, but better optimizing their PC titles. For their part, Nvidia assures me they’re working with Ubisoft post-launch to improve performance on the PC version of Watch Dogs.

Credits to Forbes

Garcia

Having watched a single YouTube video now I want to buy Transistor immediately. Wow, it looks amazing! The narration is definitely better than Bastion's.

In Transistor, the voice speaks in present tense, which almost immediately cancels out the obtrusive nature that is omnipresent in Bastion. He shares the same experiences of your character (which leaves some room for development) unlike Bastion where your character feels like a tool or a puppet without freewill.

Hory Sheet! That's good news... I need to play DR2!

Hopefully this bodes well for Cacpcom removing GFWL from DR2 and DR2:OTR.

Dead Rising is the fucking shit and really unlike any other zombie game out there. Focuses on completely different things, it's one of the most original games to get that "mainstream appeal" with its hard rules like the timers and all. Im surprised it even is this popular. Subject matter being zombies really has nothing to do in making this game "more of the same" or anything of the sort.

It is. I love the series - I've played and done a large majority of the stuff you can do in both DR and DR2... OTR never grabbed me and I haven't bothered to load it up on PC because of GFWL.

But the consensus on the "timer" was that the general gamer hated it (and the save system) which is why DR3 went so far as to mainstream the game removing the timer (and making save anywhere maybe?) and putting the real DR3 behind a "super hard mode" option. :lol

I would actually prefer Dead Rising 1 on PC.

I'd love to have that game on PC too.
Even if I loathe Frank, that game was before they screwed his character design up.

it'd be great if DR3 was a definitive "All DLC included" thing like late PC releases do but Capcom looooves to sell that DLC

I heard that Operation Broken Eagle DLC on DR3 is good

Yeah, we can hope, but Cacpcom doesn't have the best record when it comes to PC games and DLC.

I saw an email in my account about that. I laughed and deleted it.

Of course it does. It's a Supergiant Games game.

Yes, it has a narrator element as well.

Yeah, I don'jt know why you wouldn't expect it.

Since DR3 is coming to Steam I kinda hope Ryse does too. It looked pretty great and might be in a similar position to the Capcom deal.

Isn't Ryse made by a first party studio? Or published/funded by MS? I think the Capcom DR3 exclusivity was just something like the CoD DLC stuff they pull by throwing money at the publisher.

I never thought to do this. Thanks, I have to go back and try Bastion again. The narration really turned me off.

I was going to say I don't understand how the narrator is so polarizing, but the I remembered I'm the guy who thinks Uncharted 2 is the worst game in that franchise. :)

Garcia

You mean the fact it's just the single person narrating? Otherwise I take it you don't play with any dialogue in any games at all.

There's a lot of variety in the dialogue though, there's even some that you might not prompt to play on your first playthrough. Or do you mean that it's the same guy/tone of voice?

It's not because there's one single person doing all the voice over or the variety of the dialogue itself. The monotony comes from the lack of variety of his vocal interventions; every consecutive sentence he speaks sounds exactly as the previous one, with the same intonation and weight. No dynamic range or spectrum.

If's as if they hired the Movie Guy who does the voice over for every trailer.

It feels fresh and mysterious without the narrator. Definitely worth a try.

I was going to say I don't understand how the narrator is so polarizing, but the I remembered I'm the guy who thinks Uncharted 2 is the worst game in that franchise. :)

I can't really put my finger on it, but it definitely annoyed me. I think it was because he was narrating every action I was doing, when I know what I just did because I'm the one who did it. (If that made sense.) It would be like if someone followed you around all day in real life and narrated everything you did. I doubt you'd enjoy it after a while. I know the narration is supposed to be part of the storytelling/experience, but it didn't work for me. I have the same worry about Transistor, though from what I've heard it's different/better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom