• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Machines Announced (Multiple manufacturers, 2014, reference design, SteamOS)

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
To me, the Steam Machine sounds more like a console than a PC. The third announcement could be a controller device that is like Nvidia's Shield.

ironcreed

Banned
You can also add the already huge creative community and the steam workshop. The steamsupport is in my opinion very good, too. At least, they solved my problems sufficiently.

I guess cheaper prices for most PC games in general is a very big plus as well. It definitely has some perks that would help make up for more expensive hardware over time. In which case, I am still very much interested.

If they can get the pricing within a reasonable range for something on par or better than the Xbox One, then I will likely go that route and forget the Xbox One even exists. PS4 is a must buy regardless, though. At any rate, we shall see.

Caronte

I'm not sure this thing is really meant for those games though. I mean, there's PC gaming, and then there's PC gaming. And if you're looking for PC gaming then you'd probably be much better served by sitting at a desk and using a keyboard/mouse.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Steambox build, but most the stuff I play on it are superior versions of games already found on console. There are a few rare exceptions, like Outlast, though.

This is disappointing then. I would gladly buy a Steambox to play PC only games like Starcraft.

BadAss2961

What games will be available during the beta?
The nearly 3,000 games on Steam. Hundreds already running natively on the SteamOS, with more to come. The rest will work seamlessly via in-home streaming.
Eh...

Isn't the Steam Machine's main purpose to attract console gamers? It should be. Streaming games isn't going to convince anyone as they'll need a capable PC anyway. SteamOS needs to run at least mostly everything natively. Valve has to pick up the pace, or this thing is DOA.

e3m88

Banned
if steamOS and gpu manufacturers get the performance boost that we want on not so expensive hardware this will become the open console... I will be very happy dual booting the get a performance boost on my games.

down the road the steamOS becomes self aware and judgement day happens.

Eh...

Isn't the Steam Machine's main purpose to attract console gamers? It should be. Streaming games isn't going to convince anyone as they'll need a capable PC anyway. SteamOS needs to run at least mostly everything natively. Valve has to pick up the pace, or this thing is DOA.

Are PS4 and XB One launching with hundreds of games available on launch day? Even if Valve only had a handful of high-profile titles and gobs of indies, they could have a pretty fabulous launch library compared to other recent consoles.

Outside of Wii U, you can't even use the "backward compatibility" argument, either. If the ~$300 model Steam Machine has comparable-to-PS4 performance, that's a good librarty to be coming to if you didn't have a gaming PC or PS4/XBOne already.

You make it sound like "if it's not EVERY GAME on Day 1, it's DOA", but for the very target market you speak of--console gamers--they've already tolerated much, much worse launch scenarios.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Are PS4 and XB One launching with hundreds of games available on launch day? Even if Valve only had a handful of high-profile titles and gobs of indies, they could have a pretty fabulous launch library compared to other recent consoles.

Outside of Wii U, you can't even use the "backward compatibility" argument, either. If the ~$300 model Steam Machine has comparable-to-PS4 performance, that's a good librarty to be coming to if you didn't have a gaming PC or PS4/XBOne already.

You make it sound like "if it's not EVERY GAME on Day 1, it's DOA", but for the very target market you speak of--console gamers--they've already tolerated much, much worse launch scenarios.

The $300 model has to be sold at a profit to be worthwhile to the manufacturer, there is no way on earth it will have performance comparable to the PS4 / Xbox One, especially due to the fact that as a reference design they will be competing with other Steam Machine manufacturers.

RJT

The $300 model has to be sold at a profit to be worthwhile to the manufacturer, there is no way on earth it will have performance comparable to the PS4 / Xbox One, especially due to the fact that as a reference design they will be competing with other Steam Machine manufacturers.

On day 1, sure. One year after that, not so sure. 2 years later, the performance has to be higher. Also, games are at least 20% cheaper on PC, so any heavy gamer will recover the higher initial investment within a year.

I am on the fence for my next gen machine. I was more inclined towards PC but still considering a PS4.

Then came PS Vita / Vita TV streaming via PS4 and I was very interested.

Now SteamMachines enter the fight for me.

Options in order I am considering
1. My setup at the moment is looking mighty PC + thin steamMachine. But the thin steamMachine has to be < $100. I actually plan on having the PC in the living room with dual booting SteamOS and the thin SteamMachine in the bedroom.
2. Just get a powerful SteamMachine. Depends on more info for the performance gains, the builds, the games.
3. PS4 + Vita or Vita TV

So bottom line I am waiting for more info. I hope I can hold. My doomed Wii U with its doomed games will most likely help with the waiting game.

The potential is greater for the Thin SteamMachine in my opinion as a simple way to either have your PC games in the living room or expand the experience to another TV like in the bed room if you already have your PC hooked to the living room TV.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Where is this AMA starting? I don't see it on that twitter page.

Was supposed to start 45 minutes ago, not seeing any responses yet though, I guess they were talking about 10 minutes in "Valve time" (which could be anything up to 3 years :p)

Grief.exe

Was supposed to start 45 minutes ago, not seeing any responses yet though, I guess they were talking about 10 minutes in "Valve time" (which could be anything up to 3 years :p)

So we are on the same page then lol.

I've been waiting on that Twitter page for an hour, even just sent them a tweet. Thought maybe he was referring to another location for the AMA.

dF51OP6.png

Eh...

Remind me how many hundreds of games PS4 and XB1 are launching with?

Just saying... It's not like Valve isn't trying to get games, and having a huge starting compatibility like that will help... even if a lot of it are existing game ports to linux.

Osiris

@Steam_Machines

When I said FAQ's I'm afraid I can't reveal technical specifications or software spec's! Sorry :| Just help on signing up on the beta-test

So much for that then.

EVIL

I'm really surprised by the lack of enthusiasm about this. Valve is pretty cool in my book, I'm super interested.
We where all expecting much more info, not just a reveal of the name and the announcement of the beta with a very barebone FAQ. I am exited, but would have been nice to have more stuff to discuss.

fallout

Eh...

I think there are two main purposes, neither of which involves directly attracting console gamers. One is to expand Steam and get it into the hands of as many consumers as possible. To do this, they need as many options as they can provide (Windows, OSX, Linux/SteamOS and Steam Machines). The other purpose is to decrease the reliance they have on Windows.

Furthermore, right now:
  • The number of users joining Steam (without any of this stuff) is going up.
  • The number of people buying PCs is going down.
At some point, those lines will meet on the graph and Steam will have topped out. Valve likely feels that they need to mitigate that risk and this is a way to work toward that.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Do we have any confirmation that the Steam_Machines and SteamOS twitter accounts are actually run by Valve?

The accounts most definitely run by Valve don't appear to mention them anywhere or follow them.

Edit: Ah, there we go.

Syf

Banned
Do we know if that Steam Machines Twitter account is legitimate? Seems like he doesn't know anything that hasn't already been posted on the countdown site.

Nvm lol, beaten to it.

njean777

I'm really surprised by the lack of enthusiasm about this. Valve is pretty cool in my book, I'm super interested.

The problem is that they really didn't reveal anything substantial yet. They said they are releasing hardware, that is great, but what is it? What do I get for 100$, 300$, or more? Is it just a glorified pc? Is it an actual console? Will I have to hook up Kb/M on some games? Will they make it to where the controller must be able to be used for all games? I mean none of this has been answered. The controller situation may be answered on Friday, but still their are way to many questions left to be answered.

Do not get me wrong, I am interested, but just want some answers.

RJT

The problem is that they really didn't reveal anything substantial yet. They said they are releasing hardware, that is great, but what is it? What do I get for 100$, 300$, or more? Is it just a glorified pc? Is it an actual console? Will I have to hook up Kb/M on some games? Will they make it to where the controller must be able to be used for all games? I mean none of this has been answered. The controller situation may be answered on Friday, but still their are way to many questions left to be answered.

Do not get me wrong, I am interested, but just want some answers.

It's not a console, unless generic hardware and open software is considered a console these days. I don't know where the confusion comes from...

Osiris

It's not a console, unless generic hardware and open software is considered a console these days. I don't know where the confusion comes from...

An therein lies my disappointment and lack of interest going forward.

A Valve-branded closed-box environment for Steam-on-a-TV would have been great, if it competed on both a price and performance metric with the new gen of consoles.

A "reference spec" for other manufacturers to adhere to just isn't going to offer that.

Opiate

A Valve-branded closed-box environment for Steam-on-a-TV would have been great, if it competed on both a price and performance metric with the new gen of consoles.

A "reference spec" for other manufacturers to adhere to just isn't going to offer that.

Yes, this is an issue that can never possibly be resolved. If you do not like open environments, then SteamOS and PC and Linux are not for you.

Tobor

Alienware is never a good value. Don't let anyone try to tell you differently.

They are extremely overpriced, low warrantay, sub-par specs for the cost, and use low-quality parts.

There is a thread on GAF where they discuss the X line of Alienwares and it is just plain crazy in there. They spend $1500+ dollars buying one of these and then a new GPU that fits, its insanity.

Lol.

I paid $1100 for my X51, haven't had to replace the graphics card, and love it. It's a great machine that fits in well next to my TV. I paid a couple hundred dollars more than if I'd built it myself, sure, but I couldn't have achieved that size and I certainly didn't want to build it myself. It was worth the extra money.

I recommend it to anyone not interested in building from scratch.

Throwing out your rights of ownership over the devices you buy is worth a bit of savings I guess?

Burt

Why would you want a closed-box environment? What would another closed box bring to the market?

The whole point of Steam Machines is to ensure that both developers and consumers will always have a gaming platform that empowers them to do things how they want. That's something that's never been present in the console market and has a good chance of disappearing from the gaming side of the Windows ecosystem within it's next iteration or so.

Getting to your point, Steam Machines will absolutely outclass next gen consoles in performance, and compete at cost within a very short period of time. Assuming the prototype they're putting up for beta is a signal that Valve's making their own personal iteration of the Steam Machine, they could very easily get a $500 unit to outperform the Xbone already, and the scales are just going to tip further in Valve's favor as time goes on.

stressboy

Alienware is never a good value. Don't let anyone try to tell you differently.

They are extremely overpriced, low warrantay, sub-par specs for the cost, and use low-quality parts.

There is a thread on GAF where they discuss the X line of Alienwares and it is just plain crazy in there. They spend $1500+ dollars buying one of these and then a new GPU that fits, its insanity.

I bought an Alienware m14x a few years ago and have never had a problem with it.

Osiris

Why would you want a closed-box environment? What would another closed box bring to the market?

The whole point of Steam Machines is to ensure that both developers and consumers will always have a gaming platform that empowers them to do things how they want. That's something that's never been present in the console market and has a good chance of disappearing from the gaming side of the Windows ecosystem within it's next iteration or so.

Getting to your point, Steam Machines will absolutely outclass next gen consoles in performance, and compete at cost within a very short period of time. Assuming the prototype they're putting up for beta is a signal that Valve's making their own personal iteration of the Steam Machine, they could very easily get a $500 unit to outperform the Xbone already, and the scales are just going to tip further in Valve's favor as time goes on.

A mistake in terminology by me, I really meant "single spec" more than closed-box, to allow for optimization rather than anything else. A suite of reference designs, updated too frequently will mean more development being held back by the lowest-common denominator.

As for price/performance, without the economy of scales that console releases usually enjoy I can't see them managing the same price/performance for at least another 2 to 3 years yet.

Maybe in that time I'll be interested, but for now, my disappointment that they went with a reference spec rather than jumping into the HW game themselves remains.

ironcreed

Banned
Steam Machines will absolutely outclass next gen consoles in performance, and compete at cost within a very short period of time. Assuming the prototype they're putting up for beta is a signal that Valve's making their own personal iteration of the Steam Machine, they could very easily get a $500 unit to outperform the Xbone already, and the scales are just going to tip further in Valve's favor as time goes on.

If they do this, then they have me. I would not even have to think twice about going PS4 and Steam Machine for next gen.

Top Bottom