• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2017 - Praeying for Dino Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Morning, SteamGAF.

It's been a rough couple of days for me. Been feeling really discouraged and down, so I think today shall be filled with vidja games.

Probably a day or two of Stardew Valley, a few puzzles in Paint It Back, a movie's worth of puzzles in Slayaway Camp, and something new. Not sure what yet, but something short and with trading cards. Maybe some Rocket League,too, before the free weekend expires. I had a surprising amount of fun with that.

Sounds good. Hope you feel better soon.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Uh, apparently I reset my password a few days ago instead of changing it (Prey wouldn't unlock for me for some reason). Oops. Oh well, all I wanted to sell was just the booster packs that have been piling up in my inventory.

PantsuJo

Bioshock 1 & 2 > system shock 2

We don't know where Infinite is at. Probably dead somewhere.

Man, after you said that Valkyria Ch. 2 is better than Valkyria Ch.1 ... and that RE6 is the best RE ever made... I thought I already had read everything regarding "controversial" opinion. But man, this is a whole new level LOL

GAF surprises me everyday. ^^" ...

Sarcasm

Speaking of options and customization in steam, I usually keep my wishlist to around 10 while the rest I just follow.

This is great for keeping stuff I will buy actually in a nice small list.

My following list is massive. Why is there no way to sort or see by price or something?

Ladekabel

I somehow have now a crave for NuPrey because I'm in the mood for a scifi shooter. The only thing from keeping me from buying it would be if it had ADS.
Does it have ADS?
I don't have the time! I got to play Persona 5. I don't have the money. I want to buy a new TV chair and Nier: Automata.

:/

I will wait. How does the old Prey hold up by the way? I have the Xbox version somewhere but I don't plan to connect my 360 ever in the future. Is there a way to get the PC version?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is there a way to get the PC version?

Retail copies activate on Steam. You can import one from Amazon UK/have it delivered to a UK GAFer to take advantage of the free shipping, roll the dice on a key from Play Asia (people have been receiving dupes and won't hear back from support until tomorrow), or try your luck on G2A/Kinguin.

Edit: Oh, and no ADS in Prey 2017 (or 2006).

Pachimari

Different people like different things. I would like some niches to survive instead of everything getting boiled down to the basic AAA paradigm as was happening for a while.
I think we can all agree on this. I mean, I can certainly play both kind of games depending on my mood and time.

I also thought we were talking about System Shock and Bioshock, and not Prey.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1366639.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Prepare to fight for your life with this! -- MB-8ECF3EAD31265B7E - Taken by Baron von Loathsome. 37 entrants total.

t1494180198z1.png

Mivey

A heads up on the Play Asia order of Prey: Apparently some sort of verification step got stuck and customer service fixed it for me. Key also worked.
That means I have now a second key (my old DVD retail copy). Will offer it here per modbot when I visit my parents again.

I smashed my thumb and have to drain the blood. Ironically the only thing I can play are mouse and keyboard games (just remap space to a key on my mouse). Tried playing Mario Kart last night and it almost killed me.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I somehow have now a crave for NuPrey because I'm in the mood for a scifi shooter. The only thing from keeping me from buying it would be if it had ADS.
Does it have ADS?
I don't have the time! I got to play Persona 5. I don't have the money. I want to buy a new TV chair and Nier: Automata.

You might want to watch a Quicklock or something of it. It's not really a shooter in the DOOM or CoD sense. Closer to Bioshock/System Shock, or Deus Ex/Thief. Or Dishonored. Lots of struggling with inventory and flailing with a wrench and running out of ammo before you actually kill anything.

I will wait. How does the old Prey hold up by the way? I have the Xbox version somewhere but I don't plan to connect my 360 ever in the future. Is there a way to get the PC version?

The old Prey is more shootery, but it's more of the Half Life 2 era. Or Duke Nukem. Lots of corridors and killing arena rooms with intermittent puzzle and not-quite-platforming obstacles. I played it a few years ago and I'd say it holds up okay, with some still novel tricks involving portals and gravity and perspective. I don't think I'd call it essential or anything though. Folks have been buying keys for it from places like PlayAsia and G2A. Maybe CDkeys?

Anteater

are the animations in deadly premonition locked at 30fps? game is running at 30 even if rtss is telling me it's locked at 60, everything is 30 outside of a few things

Ladekabel

Retail copies activate on Steam. You can import one from Amazon UK/have it delivered to a UK GAFer to take advantage of the free shipping, roll the dice on a key from Play Asia (people have been receiving dupes and won't hear back from support until tomorrow), or try your luck on G2A/Kinguin.

Edit: Oh, and no ADS in Prey 2017 (or 2006).

You might want to watch a Quicklock or something of it. It's not really a shooter in the DOOM or CoD sense. Closer to Bioshock/System Shock, or Deus Ex/Thief. Or Dishonored. Lots of struggling with inventory and flailing with a wrench and running out of ammo before you actually kill anything.

The old Prey is more shootery, but it's more of the Half Life 2 era. Or Duke Nukem. Lots of corridors and killing arena rooms with intermittent puzzle and not-quite-platforming obstacles. I played it a few years ago and I'd say it holds up okay, with some still novel tricks involving portals and gravity and perspective. I don't think I'd call it essential or anything though. Folks have been buying keys for it from places like PlayAsia and G2A. Maybe CDkeys?

No ADS in Prey? :O It went up on the priority list.

Still unsure about OldPrey. Might hunt down a copy sometime.

Rizzi

What I've played of Prey is pretty cool. Once I can pry my attention from Mario Kart on the Switch I'm going to have to spend more time with it. Old Prey was kind of mediocre tbh.

KingKong

What I've played of Prey is pretty cool. Once I can pry my attention from Mario Kart on the Switch I'm going to have to spend more time with it. Old Prey was kind of mediocre tbh.

The beginning for the original Prey was by far the best part and I'm not convinced that many people actually beat it since it turned into a pretty average fps with a few fun twists. Still better than Quake 4 though

Jawmuncher

The beginning for the original Prey was by far the best part and I'm not convinced that many people actually beat it since it turned into a pretty average fps with a few fun twists. Still better than Quake 4 though

I loved Prey. It did everything I needed it to. I thought the universe was interesting enough to see explored later on.
capturew0zep.png

Yeah well, you're mediocre tbh
ag072_deleted_sceneolydg.png

cyba89

Finished Little Nightmares today. That was pretty good apart from one very frustrating section. It's no Inside but still a legit good game with some disturbing imagery.

Also played The Walking Dead S3 Ep4. Thankfully it was a step up after the bad episode 3.

I smashed my thumb and have to drain the blood. Ironically the only thing I can play are mouse and keyboard games (just remap space to a key on my mouse). Tried playing Mario Kart last night and it almost killed me.

If you're talking about MK8 Deluxe couldn't you turn on this auto-acceleration thing? (if it's the right thumb).

Buraindo

Pretty much. I thought it was an alright but overall unremarkable game. Shame about 2.
New one looks better than I thought before release so that's a plus. Though I won't pick it up for a good while yet.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

I think the id Tech 4 set of single player games fits quite well together: all were solid experiences, but nothing special or even really great. I would probably rank Wolf 09 over the rest as it's shooting felt the best, but I would be hard-pressed to rank Prey, Quake 4 and Doom 3.

Kiru

No achievements for Prey (2006) on Steam. Thank God! That means I can fully enjoy it without feeling like I missed some achievement along the way.
I'm weird I know.

Lovecraft is a fun character to play in the curious expedition. He's able to create all sorts of magic scrolls at the cost of sanity (basically your hp). With these scrolls you can alter the environment (for example by creating a mountain chain out of nowhere to prevent some angry tribesman from getting to you), transform your companions into monsters (powerful tanks which you have to feed raw meat otherwise they turn on you), teleport across the map etc. It adds a whole new dimension to the game.

Oh hi SteamGAF! Just got through The Room Two (yes, I raffled off a game on my birthday and hadn't played it yet myself, wanna fight about it?) and here are some quick impressions:

The story: Without spoiling too much from the first Room, you're on the trail of a professor, going through a series of dimensional spaces that play out like puzzle rooms. There are bits of lore here and there, which apparently get fully explained in The Room Three (not yet on PC,) but it plays second fiddle to the puzzles. So feel free to try and immerse yourself into the "what and why" of the rooms, or just enjoy some good puzzlin'.

The ending is left a bit ambiguous, but it does feel like an ending. However, the existence of a Room Three tells me things might not be as they seem.

The graphics: For the most part, terrific. Hard to believe it's a mobile port with this quality. There were some bits that were too dark, making finding the next piece difficult, and a couple of sections of shadows so jagged you could cut your finger on them, but overall it's a treat.

The sound and music: Minimalist, but it works. The scrape of a ball bearing in a track. The click of a dial. Then suddenly, the violin music swells to reveal the next section. It keeps you tense, even though there's nothing too terribly scary happening.

The puzzles and gameplay: Great from start to finish. You can turn hints on or off, depending on your puzzlin' skills (I turned them off and still didn't have a tough time. Not bragging, just saying there's nothing overly complex.) Sometimes the combination of camera and mouse is fiddly - there was one section where I had to turn a slider along a circular track and it didn't want to go all the way until I adjusted the camera - but in general the interface feels good. I will say, though, since there's no good section to put this, that it didn't feel as wondrous or magical as the first Room. The first game had more of a singular focus, and items within items within items. This one had jumps between disconnected sections (which, yes, does suit what story there is) so instead of feeling like you're getting to the heart of something, it feels like you're just spinning in circles.

The length: My Steam profile says 3.8 hours. You're here for a good time, not a long time.

The verdict: While not as exciting as The Room, it's a worthy successor and worthy of your time and money. Now bring on The Room Three!

Without realizing it I unwittingly revisited the other idTech 4 single player games last year after playing Wolf 09. I really should have let them stay untarnished in my memory because Prey, Q4, and D3 were all worse than I remembered them being. I remember thinking Q4 was pretty solid at the time, but just the glacial pacing of it pre-Stroggification and the turret sequences and just that it took the least inspired thing from Quake to make a sequel out of made it rough to return to. Wolf 09 was alright, but I had already played TNO by the time I played it so I guess it was doomed to feel like nothing special.

Pachimari

I really need Activision to get their act together and release Call of Duty 3 for Steam. You can't let me have this incomplete collection of Call of Duty games!

Remember when I said PREY would likely be better than Prey 2? Yezzirp. I can't wait for all the self-imposed restriction playthroughs.

Morning, SteamGAF.

It's been a rough couple of days for me. Been feeling really discouraged and down, so I think today shall be filled with vidja games.

Probably a day or two of Stardew Valley, a few puzzles in Paint It Back, a movie's worth of puzzles in Slayaway Camp, and something new. Not sure what yet, but something short and with trading cards. Maybe some Rocket League,too, before the free weekend expires. I had a surprising amount of fun with that.

1397863272_baby_monkey_hug.gif

Ruruja

I've run out of Artifex Mundi games, need another bundle to show up!

No achievements for Prey (2006) on Steam. Thank God! That means I can fully enjoy it without feeling like I missed some achievement along the way.
I'm weird I know.

Hehe, I'm the opposite in feeling like I'm missing out on something the 360 version has.

Morning, SteamGAF.

I've been in that mindset more than I'd like lately.
I hope things improve for you as quickly as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom