• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam monthly active users now at 67 million compared to 70 million for PSN

Valve's online service, Steam, is a juggernaut in the PC gaming space--and it's only continuing to grow. At the Casual Connect event recently, Valve shared new figures that speak to the enormity of the service and its expanding reach globally.

GeekWire (via GI.biz) reports that one of Valve's slides at the presentation showed that Steam had 33 million daily active players and 67 million monthly active players. By comparison, PlayStation Network had 70 million monthly active users by Sony's latest count, while Xbox Live had 53 million monthly users.

Another big number included in Valve's presentation was 27 million. That's the number of new paying members that Steam has added since January 2016. That works out to around 1.5 million per month over the past 18 months.

Valve's slide presentation also mentioned that Steam hit 14 million concurrent users recently, which is up from a peak of 8.4 million back in 2015. Overall, Valve had 125 million registered users by the company's latest count.

In terms of Steam sales by region, North America takes the biggest slice of the pie, at 34 percent, followed by western Europe at 29 percent. Asia is getting bigger and bigger for Steam, rising from just a few percentage points a few years ago to 17 percent today. The uptick in sales is attributed to users in Korea, China, and Japan.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/steam-just-revealed-some-big-figures/1100-6452314/

What counts as an active user on Steam:

Valve is actually relatively open about this number, relative to their console counterparts. They count "Active Users" as someone who owns a game and has played a game within the last month. So "Total Users' is actually significantly higher.

Was gonna say, I did not believe ps4 had those kind of numbers haha.

Not sure how to feel about the steam numbers, who knows how many of those accs are either csgo side accounts, tf2 idlers or Dota smurfs who paid $1 for a humble bundle (and don't even get me started on Dota account selling)

Falk

that puzzling face
It's really a shame that Steam has practically a monopoly on the PC gaming market.

it's a shame PSN has a monopoly on PS4

(don't hurt me i have a terrible sense of humor)

PC ≠ Steam and it's not really a pissing contest?

They're comparable as service providers and distributors of games/digital content.

He was talking about the thread title which originally said PS4 while the article says PSN.

38e.gif

it's a shame PSN has a monopoly on PS4

(don't hurt me i have a terrible sense of humor)

He was talking about the thread title which originally said PS4 while the article says PSN.

monoboxes.jpg

There's a monopoly on damn near every system!

I too share a terrible(if not worse) sense of humor.

Solrac

so any one with "run steam when my pc starts" counts as active user... ok legit and real statistics

Mooreberg

It is the best digital platform on PC. My only real gripe lately is secondary launchers being installed alongside games. They cannot possibly be skirting Valve's 30% cut on transactions, so what is the point?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The age of Sony is done.

good for the PC space and gaming in general, hopefully. I hope those users are spending their money on games that encourage good habits from the publishers and developers in question

GeekWire (via GI.biz) reports that one of Valve's slides at the presentation showed that Steam had 33 million daily active players and 67 million monthly active players. By comparison, PlayStation Network had 70 million monthly active users by Sony's latest count, while Xbox Live had 53 million monthly users.

Man, no wonder Microsoft can't wait for the Better Together patch to come out so they can boost their numbers up.

I think monthly active is deceptive - regardless of platform.
If i hit up a twitter link I am put in a slide show somewhere as a monthly active twitter user. Turn on my old iMac and steam starts and downloads it's inevitable update. Same for psn.
More interesting is monthly users that spend money or total concurrent players.

Monstrous numbers, it's amazing that Steam keeps growing at that rate. I actually find the other numbers more impressive. 33 million daily active players and 27 million new paying customers are insane.

oti

Banned
I think monthly active is deceptive - regardless of platform.
If i hit up a twitter link I am put in a slide show somewhere as a monthly active twitter user. Turn on my old iMac and steam starts and downloads it's inevitable update. Same for psn.
More interesting is monthly users that spend money or total concurrent players.

MAU is totally fine. Would be interesting to know the level of engagement (like how many minutes people spend in the store or how many links they open) but MAU is the best as far as knowing how many engage with online on a very basic level.

jacobeid

Banned
so anyone with a ps3 laying around as a media player counts as an active PSN user... ok legit and real statistics

Let alone the fact that that poster completely ignores this:

Another big number included in Valve's presentation was 27 million. That's the number of new paying members that Steam has added since January 2016. That works out to around 1.5 million per month over the past 18 months.

I doubt they read anything at all past the thread title.

Top Bottom