• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam monthly active users now at 67 million compared to 70 million for PSN

Steam Achievement system sucks. If you play a game without starting Steam - you wont be able to get Achievements already taken "offline".
On PS you can play a game offline, heck you can also play a demo and unlock trophies afterwards when you connect to PSN/buy the full game.

I feel like more people on steam don't care about achievements compared to PS users but maybe I'm wrong.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
How could there be more active PS4 users than consoles sold lol
I'm sure there is more than 1 active user per console in most cases and then there's PS3 and PSV
But you also have to take into account that PS3/PSV/PS4 user is only 1 active account and not 3 like some are suggesting.
For the current install base I think it's actually low.

Nzyme32

Steam Achievement system sucks. If you play a game without starting Steam - you wont be able to get Achievements already taken "offline".
On PS you can play a game offline, heck you can also play a demo and unlock trophies afterwards when you connect to PSN/buy the full game.

If you don't start Steam - yeah, since Steam is the thing doing the tracking. IIRC if you use Steam in offline mode, the achievements are synced as soon as you go online, which you do get. I have no idea why this some sort of downside - Steam is an application not the operating system

Cels

how many active users does PSN have if you measure it the same way valve does for steam? - i.e. players who own a game and booted it up within the past month

Lister

Banned
how many active users does PSN have if you measure it the same way valve does for steam? - i.e. players who own a game and booted it up within the past month

We don't know, but it's goign to be less than 70 million.

How could there be more active PS4 users than consoles sold lol

you need different accounts to buy from different regions
that is one major difference to XBL and Steam

and you also have regular multi account user, like on every platform
+ Ps3, Vita, Sony Smart TVs and whatever else uses a PSN account for various services

some people just watch Netflix and other stuff for weeks without booting up a game.

c0de

Lots of people on here are sony fans, so obviously hate the competition

They don't really hate the competition but it gets wild when they are reminded that their piece of plastic is worse than a PC but it helps that there are exclusives. But it leads to funny situations like the famous grassgate.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
They don't really hate the competition but it gets wild when they are reminded that their piece of plastic is worse than a PC but it helps that there are exclusives. But it leads to funny situations like the famous grassgate.

grassgate?

Fill me in on this please haha

Mifec

grassgate?

Fill me in on this please haha

PS4 had better grass or something than XBONE in GTAV and people went mental. Then the PC version came out and ate the console versions alive, but people downplayed it.

You should also check the Ground Zeroes PC screenshots thread it was p hilarious when it came to denying graphical improvements.

Hektor

Property of Durante

visualnelqk.png

Lashley

PS4 had better grass or something than XBONE in GTAV and people went mental. Then the PC version came out and ate the console versions alive, but people downplayed it.

You should also check the Ground Zeroes PC screenshots thread it was p hilarious when it came to denying graphical improvements.

Property of Durante

visualnelqk.png

Holy shit

GAF never change, I love you ❤

sprinkles

And yet people care about Steam achievements so much that Valve had to limit max achievements per game to 5000 recently because games were advertised and sold purely on the feature "over 10k achievements".

Lashley

And yet people care about Steam achievements so much that Valve had to limit max achievements per game to 5000 recently because games were advertised and sold purely on the feature "over 10k achievements".

tbf, steam achievements are wank

I wish Valve would overhaul the system and make it better

Lister

Banned
tbf, steam achievements are wank

I wish Valve would overhaul the system and make it better

One of my few complaints about Steam. Yeah, mroe options for devs, make them stand out more (art work, larger display, etc), with options for players to fine tune or remove them if they want. Restoration fo achivements when returnign from off-line mode. Also, it shoudl eb easy to view them from in-game and out of game too and compare them to friends.

I personally, mostly liek to track my progress in games. It's nice to go back to a big RPG and see an achievement that reminds you of your time spent playing. A screenshot attache dto the achievement as an option would be cool too!

Lister

Banned
Good times. Reminds me of the ground zeros PC thread.

untitleda4j6r.gif

Lol the Ground Zeros and the Dying Llight comparison threads were amazing. It's the first time I took note of a few community members, especially Shinobi, who insisted he could not see any difference.

Cramoss

Lol the Ground Zeros and the Dying Llight comparison threads were amazing. It's the first time I took note of a few community members, especially Shinobi, who insisted he could not see any difference.

I need to be in more comparison threads, they sound hilarious

horkrux

What else am i supposed to call "mechanically not very complex that don't require much learning to be played in favor of narratively driven cutscenes" as to not offend your sensibilities?

I'd prefer no such generalizations at all. I mean you're also taking bloody Doom of all things as an example, because it did really well. Is that now suddenly a mechanically complex game?
I mean Diablo is also super popular and that game doesn't even require a brain to play.

Yea, it paled in comparison to the version that was actually advertised, not delayed, didn't constantly crash for many people and already had established an (albeit minor) fanbase, stop pretending that doesn't make a difference so you can tell yourself that you have a point.

I really don't buy into this 'established fanbase' thing. Dark Souls 1 had no trouble selling copies on PC. Came out a year later even!
Platinum had already released MGR:R on PC before Nier, so it's not like they were completely new on PC. Your points regarding the quality and release of the port are certainly valid, but the difference in sales is too large for my taste.
You make it seem like PC gamers live in a bubble and know nothing about what's going on in the console space. I believe there is a strong crossover actually and many of them have consoles themselves (which is why they don't buy these games on PC).

There's a reason why this franchise sells more than 50% of Dark Souls of its units on PC nowadays, but other AAA games dont.

Where do you take these numbers from? Before DS3 it seemed to have been at 40%. Wouldn't surprise me if PC just ate into Xbox shares here, since Japanese games seem to underperform on that platform in general.

Hektor

I'd prefer no such generalizations at all. I mean you're also taking bloody Doom of all things as an example, because it did really well. Is that now suddenly a mechanically complex game?
I mean Diablo is also super popular and that game doesn't even require a brain to play.

These games both are not exactly complex but still incredibly "gamey", there's no story, no cutscenes or any form of "cinematicness" taking away from the play in these games, they are still in line with what i'm talking about.

It's like you read half the sentence and just stopped.

I really don't buy into this 'established fanbase' thing. Dark Souls 1 had no trouble selling copies on PC. Came out a year later even!

The established fanbase is one of many factors, Dark Souls is also the very kind of game i'm talking about that is very suited to the interests of the PC audience. Gamey and mechanics that allow for certain levels of depth.

Unlike Nier which, as aforementioned, is a more story focused game with rather shallow combat

IPlatinum had already released MGR:R on PC before Nier, so it's not like they were completely new on PC.

On PC they had MGR, Transformers and Korra.

On sony consoles for comparison they had
MGR, Transformers, Korra, Anarchy Reigns, Mad World, Bayonetta, Vanquish

These things make a difference. You don't just throw out one game or two and suddenly have a giant fanbase the size of one who did ten.

You make it seem like PC gamers live in a bubble and know nothing about what's going on in the console space. I believe there is a strong crossover actually and many of them have consoles themselves (which is why they don't buy these games on PC).

Of course this is only anecdotal, but there were multiple pc gaf users that did not knew about this game having been announced for PC until they found out in threads in which people complained that SE is pretending said version away.

IWhere do you take these numbers from? Before DS3 it seemed to have been at 40%. Wouldn't surprise me if PC just ate into Xbox shares here, since Japanese games seem to underperform on that platform in general.

This thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1072304

That was 8 Million copies shipped total (Shipped not sold!), 3.5 million of which were sold (Actually sold, not shipped) on PC

Unless you think the Souls Franchise is selling basically 0 copies on xbox, the PC version is selling at least on par with PS4, if not more.

Top Bottom