• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Are you into the books at all? Or just not into SoIF/GoT at all?

I haven't read the books but have been thinking about starting. Most of my "reading" is done in the form of audiobooks and I hear that it has a pretty good adaptation from the page.

EDIT: Also, it appears GMG jumped the gun on Lightning Returns. It's now listed as "Coming Soon" instead of $20 and it's no longer purchasable.

Drakhyrr

Eurogamer's reporting that the Autumn and Winter sales won't have any flash sales or daily deals :(

From the article:

"For a brand new release, if you can't get approval for your best discount for the full length of the sale, that's OK and we can work on a plan for that game. But the vast majority of your catalog should be running its best discount for the duration of the sale."

Sounds like a "wait until the last day anyway" thing.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Sounds like a step back from the old system, I won't have any impulse buys with this system.
Also even if they said that stuff about some games having discounts for a shorter time, I still think discounts will be lower because of this new system.

Jawmuncher

From the article:
Sounds like a "wait until the last day anyway" thing.

Sounds a tad better, but I fully expect most pubs to just go "Make it 50% and call it day". So that they don't have to bother with it later on. No big titles are going to run a Daily or Flash style deal for an entire week+.

Dr Dogg

What in the?
image.php

Also I doubt we're getting Kefflings come over to Steam seeing how ingrained Xbox Avatars were in that. Saying that my Avatar shows up in the Xbox App under Windows 10 and they've just been added back to XO as well as Kingdom is on the back compat list so who knows.

Also, also I got the scary feeling that Destiny might have caught my eye seeing as it will be on offer digitally on Black Friday :(

Anyone of you play MGSV in ultrawidescreen? Found a fix for it but that would involve using a fixed exe file and I'm always cautious about stuff like that.o_O

A lot of games that don't have access to FOV settings either in game or via ini editing will involve hex editing the executable to adjust the values. If you're getting them off WSGF they'll be good as gold. There's an article over there how you can do it yourself but does take a bit of understanding of how applications like Cheat Engine work and of course it could also take a bit of time to find the right string to change.

Lain

I like the art and the horror visual novel premise, but when you have things like:
Before our VA goal sits at 120,000 USD, only because we have no idea how much voice actors and actresses cost. Right now we're in contact with Rachael, a professional voice actress, and she's helping us in recruiting potential English actors for the game. She gave us some estimates, and basing from that, we decided to lower our VA goal to 40,000 USD! :) If you think voices would make The Letter even better, please spread the word out and help us reach this goal!
it makes me question why go the kickstarter route before you've ironed out every little detail about how much it would cost to do every little thing, both the base stuff as well as the stretch goal stuff (and this goes for all the KS).

I couldn't back it before when the KS first started (because I didn't have the money to invest in it with all the other stuff already planned) and set it as a reminder, but I'm not gonna back it now (not just because I still don't have the money to back it after LR preorder and Gocco though, this time). Good luck to them to reach the goal to get it funded in the last 2 days, since the goal is within reach. If the game comes out I'll think about buying it.

gelf

Of course, ignore what's bad about it and it becomes good.
If the worst of a game has little impact on what I'm enjoying then I'm happy to still rate it highly. The best of MGSV was better then almost everything else I played this year. The terrible boss battles are the biggest letdown as I loved them in previous entries and I can't skip and ignore them to progress.

Jawmuncher

What in the?
Thanks @winterdemons
Well, it was the classiest of their releases.

It's still funny going back and playing it, the first episode has a teaser for the next and then they dropped that. Still odd that the game was never episodic like all their others. Unsure if it was development problems or what. I mean I know a lot of people don't like it, but it wasn't that bad.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
-taps foot and tries not to say anything- I'll just say the news isn't discreditable, but there's more I want to say, but can't/won't. I think it's a bit distasteful of developers to leak the dates though, the whatever is something some might want to bring up, I understand that, but it doesn't seem classy to me.

Lain

Yep we've been talking about. Really sucks if it's going how we're speculating.

Wasn't someone holding out hope that it was just for Autumn? This should squash away any of their last hope.

EDIT: Also, it appears GMG jumped the gun on Lightning Returns. It's now listed as "Coming Soon" instead of $20 and it's no longer purchasable.
I'll treasure my 12,80€ preorder fondly. Unless they put it on sale even cheaper on Steam.

Lomax

Sounds a tad better, but I fully expect most pubs to just go "Make it 50% and call it day". So that they don't have to bother with it later on. No big titles are going to run a Daily or Flash style deal for an entire week+.

I think they might for the fall sale, that's basically just a weekend and it's during a major sale period anyway. I'm cautiously optimistic that a lot of catalog titles will have good discounts this year as they'll not be dreaming about a daily they'll never get, and those are mostly the games I want to buy anyway.

Plus, this will almost certainly cause at least one (if not more) of the other sites to do "a winter sale with real dailies" promotion, which could make for some great deals anyway.

Jawmuncher

-taps foot and tries not to say anything- I'll just say the news isn't discreditable, but there's more I want to say, but can't/won't. I think it's a bit distasteful of developers to leak the dates though, the whatever is something some might want to bring up, I understand that, but it doesn't seem classy to me.

Hmmm Teeth was saying something as well.
I'm assuming there's going to be some sort of discount or coupon thing going on then.
Or something Meta that will help with deals, rather than just selling cards.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Hmmm Teeth was saying something as well.
I'm assuming there's going to be some sort of discount or coupon thing going on then.
Or something Meta that will help with deals, rather than just selling cards.

This was also my thought. It just seems there is way to much content on Steam to give everything anybody could possible want a fair shake at making the homepage in the old format.

When I heard they were getting rid of the daily deals I assumed it would be in favor of some sort of meta game that perhaps gave tailored deals to individual users based on their recommended tags or something.

Jawmuncher

This was also my thought. It just seems there is way to much content on Steam to give everything anybody could possible want a fair shake at making the homepage in the old format.

When I heard they were getting rid of the daily deals I assumed it would be in favor of some sort of meta game that perhaps gave tailored deals to individual users based on their recommended tags or something.

I might want to mess around with my likes then.
Would be a pain if I get deals for shit I don't want since I never really mess with that.

I haven't read the books but have been thinking about starting. Most of my "reading" is done in the form of audiobooks and I hear that it has a pretty good adaptation from the page.

At least I can buy it there soon hopefully because on the asian Steam Stores no japanese S-E games are available...

Still surprised that Lightning Returns came out at all this year, you would hope the lengthy delay bodes well for the port quality but you never can tell (and boy could it do with some performance enhancement over the console versions)

Makes you wonder what's next for Final Fantasy on steam, a whole bunch of the series is on there now, and Lightning Returns and Type-0 are two of the most recent ones to be checked off the list. They've also been filling in the blanks with the older ones, like 4, AF and 5

What FF do you guys think will be next? I would have said the iOS version of 6, but seeing how poorly 5 sold, I'm not sure they'll bother with the mobile porting anymore. They've sort of run out of recent 3D games have they not? Which is impressive considering the series had almost no presence on Steam as little as 2 years ago.

Grief.exe

Anyone of you play MGSV in ultrawidescreen? Found a fix for it but that would involve using a fixed exe file and I'm always cautious about stuff like that.o_O

If you are worried about it from Valve's point of view, then don't worry about it. You are a paying customer, as far as Valve is concerned you can modify your product in any way unless it effects other customers (ie online cheaters).

Now I wonder how that would effect Denuvo DRM.

How am I going to get KSP at >50% now? Still too much for me to impulse buy.

It's my personal GOTY, I guarantee you will get many hours of entertainment out of the game if it appeals to you.

They are set to deploy a huge update to 1.1 sometime in the next month, which includes am engine upgrade, x64 exe, and tons of content updates.

Dr Dogg

I used to work with this lad, nice bloke and all but fucking hell you could never tell him anything in confidence. If you did the next moment he'd go blabbing about it or tell someone you've pretty much said not to talk to. One year just before we were breaking up for Christmas and just before our staff party my boss, just in idle chit chat not expecting it to come to much, told him what she had bought her husband. The second he saw him at the staff do a could or so days latter he stupidly went and ruined the surprise. I don't think I've seen many people as angry as she was then. Needless to say they went home not long after and that dude only was working for us a couple of months after.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of WinterDemons, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Rack N Ruin -- MB-E8902C09C8D5FC35 - Taken by OmarYusaf. 13 entrants total.
Get Over Here -- MB-43F9365D7473E3A1 - Taken by Costa1774. 15 entrants total.
DISTRAINT -- MB-591CF278B1618087 - Taken by ExoSoul. 13 entrants total.
Sleep Attack -- MB-149B44D188CA157E - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 15 entrants total.
MechaNika -- MB-BD5E42D8FD51CF20 - Taken by redlacs. 10 entrants total.
Heckabomb -- MB-1D7A38EAE417A439 - Taken by Jalal. 7 entrants total.
Spellsworn -- MB-2C8A800D6D63C223 - Taken by S1n1st3r. 4 entrants total.

Replay: VHS is not dead -- MB-6F5B058B3B4468C1 - Taken by Vlad. 18 entrants total.
Adventure in the Tower of Flight -- MB-27D726CAFE635E45 - Taken by bigzgod. 15 entrants total.

t1448085681z1.png

jshackles

Still surprised that Lightning Returns came out at all this year, you would hope the lengthy delay bodes well for the port quality but you never can tell (and boy could it do with some performance enhancement over the console versions)

Makes you wonder what's next for Final Fantasy on steam, a whole bunch of the series is on there now, and Lightning Returns and Type-0 are two of the most recent ones to be checked off the list. They've also been filling in the blanks with the older ones, like 4, AF and 5

What FF do you guys think will be next? I would have said the iOS version of 6, but seeing how poorly 5 sold, I'm not sure they'll bother with the mobile porting anymore. They've sort of run out of recent 3D games have they not? Which is impressive considering the series had almost no presence on Steam as little as 2 years ago.

Final Fantasy VI (the mobile version) is my guess. It's essentially using the same engine as V so I think that would be Square's lowest hanging fruit. Even though V didn't sell too well, I doubt that would stop them.

Hopefully I'm wrong and it will be Final Fantasy Tactics.

In my wet dreams it's Final Fantasy Dimensions.

Anybody know if the wireless adapter for Xbone controllers will be on sale anywhere this Black Friday? Pls.

I got a Wii U pad hooked up but the XB1 pad is so comfy.

Final Fantasy VI (the mobile version) is my guess. It's essentially using the same engine as V so I think that would be Square's lowest hanging fruit.

I would have said the same, but V supposedly did very badly sales wise didn't it? Maybe VI was greenlit before V was ever released, but the mobile ports don't seem to have much legs, makes me kinda wish they'd just jump ahead and try and get X done.

Jawmuncher

Yeah i'm hoping the late port means they took their time on it, and not that they were just sitting on it and just started to decide working on it late. Type 0 is apparently a decent port at least more so than FF13 & 13-2 so I hope it's at least on par with that.

Final Fantasy VI (the mobile version) is my guess. It's essentially using the same engine as V so I think that would be Square's lowest hanging fruit.

In my wet dreams it's Final Fantasy Dimensions.

Yeah i'm pretty confident they bring both over at some point.
Hell they might even dig a bit more at their mobile titles and bring TWEWY or whatever else they got over there.

Dr Dogg

Didn't Tactics get released recently for Android? That's a pretty big step to it getting the PC treatment. The DotEMU PC treatment :(

jshackles

Yeah i'm pretty confident they bring both over at some point.
Hell they might even dig a bit more at their mobile titles and bring TWEWY or whatever else they got over there.

They have all the early Dragon Quest games on mobile now besides 7, and considering the hype of Dragon Quest Heroes I could see them all selling pretty well on Steam. They would be a bit more difficult to port though, since they all use portrait mode and are incapable of rotating due to the layout of the menus and such.

Caerith

They admit up front that they had to cut basic stuff like being able to rename your chocobo, map markers, and schemata, so I wouldn't hold my breath on the rest of this port's quality being decent.

I kinda wish they'd stop porting Final Fantasy games to Steam until they start putting some effort into it.

Lain

Yeah i'm hoping the late port means they took their time on it, and not that they were just sitting on it and just started to decide working on it late. Type 0 is apparently a decent port at least more so than FF13 & 13-2 so I hope it's at least on par with that.

I wouldn't hold such high expectations. Type-0 was a port made by Hexadrive, which first ported it to the PS4/X1 and then to PC. LR is probably made by the same people that ported the previous two games of the trilogy.
I mean I'd love to be pleasantly surprised, and get a game with great AA, some redone textures, no frame-pacing issues etc, but I'm not setting the bar any higher than what they did for XIII and XIII-2.

I wish I didn't have to use bluetooth to use my WiiU Pro controller on PC.
I got one of those Mayflash adapters which is nice but it only allows one controller in Xinput to be synced :(
Didn't Tactics get released recently for Android? That's a pretty big step to it getting the PC treatment. The DotEMU PC treatment :(
They haven't even released it on the Amazon Appstore yet. My 3000 coins are going to waste.

Dr Dogg

In my selfish endeavour regardless how much time and effort is spent on any Final Fantasy game that is released on PC I'm going to keep buying every single one until XII is brought across. I've even pony up for Dirge of Cerberus if that results in success. I may or may not have issues.

jshackles

In my selfish endeavour regardless how much time and effort is spent on any Final Fantasy game that is released on PC I'm going to keep buying every single one until XII is brought across. I've even pony up for Dirge of Cerberus if that results in success. I may or may not have issues.

Well our motto here is "celebrating disease" and I'm right there with you.

Except I think I'm even worse because I wouldn't stop at XII. What about X? X-2? XV? Revenant Wings? Crystal Chronicles? I'd buy them all.

Dsyndrome

Still surprised at no remaster confirmation yet for FF XII. Maybe it'll be announced at PSX and have vague wording that implies console exclusivity only, like DQ Heroes.

jshackles

Still surprised at no remaster confirmation yet for FF XII. Maybe it'll be announced at PSX and have vague wording that implies console exclusivity only, like DQ Heroes.

When Arnie Roth let slip that Square was remastering XII, GAF nearly exploded. Of course they issued a correction pretty promptly but it all came across as "ssshhhh you weren't supposed to know!"

Now that they've confirmed PS2 backwards compatibility with resolution upscaling and trophy support, I suspect that's the version we'll actually get. But I'm kinda okay with that honestly.

Monooboe

A lot of games that don't have access to FOV settings either in game or via ini editing will involve hex editing the executable to adjust the values. If you're getting them off WSGF they'll be good as gold. There's an article over there how you can do it yourself but does take a bit of understanding of how applications like Cheat Engine work and of course it could also take a bit of time to find the right string to change.

If you are worried about it from Valve's point of view, then don't worry about it. You are a paying customer, as far as Valve is concerned you can modify your product in any way unless it effects other customers (ie online cheaters).

Now I wonder how that would effect Denuvo DRM.

Ah yeah will just go ahead and use the fixed exe, think it was from WSGF. Just have to do it everytime the game patches I guess, also not veritfy the files. Going to look sweet in 21:9 though.:D

Jawmuncher

I wouldn't hold such high expectations. Type-0 was a port made by Hexadrive, which first ported it to the PS4/X1 and then to PC. LR is probably made by the same people that ported the previous two games of the trilogy.
I mean I'd love to be pleasantly surprised, and get a game with great AA, some redone textures, no frame-pacing issues etc, but I'm not setting the bar any higher than what they did for XIII and XIII-2.

At least that holds 1080p and 30fps well. I could deal with that.

RedSwirl

If you're still curious:

Basically just a bunch of textures, maps, sound-files etc. No notable amount of duplicates or something like that.

There's a mysterious .rar named "_supersecret.rar" (773MB) with a password-protection though. No idea what it contains!

But is the initial download 20 gigs? Torrent sites are pegging it at around 11.

Ludens

Banned
The new Valkyria is for PC too, right?
EDIT: The supersecret stuff on Soma is probably e legacy thing, other Frictional games like Penumbra came with a rar protected by a password too.

Jawmuncher

Sega simply hates money.
EDIT: So GMG pulled Lightning pre-order....let's see SE pulling a 20€ release now, with GMG price being a mistake.

Nah I think it'll be 20, just they weren't supposed to say so yet. Remember when FF13-2 came out it had a discount on steam and GMG as well. The short time LR was up there was no discount aside from GMG coupon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom