• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top-of-page reminder:
ss_8df8236403f5aad45eeedd33d2bd545e45435b39.jpg
If anyone asks what this strange screenshot is from, I'll be very disappointed, indeed.
What a silly thread. It's not that there are too many games on Steam, it's that Valve hasn't done as good of a job as they could have on improving discoverability.

It's definitely true that there are more games coming out in a year that a person could reasonably play, but those games are coming out no matter what. If games exist, they should be made available on Steam, because then more people have access to them, and Valve can make more money that way.

Edit: I should clarify, that I make exceptions for games that are basically hate speech, and games that are broken or exploitative, which would reflect poorly on Valve for selling. Obviously there is a very real reason for Valve not to sell those types of games (though some of them make it through greenlight anyway).
Valve basically became the new Desura. No one knows why.

cyborg009

Banned
Just started and finished Life is Strange Episode 1. Wow that was intense.This is the game I need to finish before the Bomb Cast game of the year discussions. I noticed the effects are stronger sometimes compared to others. Maybe it means something. Guess I'll find out.

It was a very interesting look but the game looks so much better without it. Go ahead and compare.

Deitus

i dunno, i feel like valve owes it to their users to not sell them shit

and i don't mean shit like this game is bad, i mean shit like copy pasta unity3d/ue4 asset packs, or games that don't work or can't be finished, or games that are just shit in every possible way that a human being would never buy

but hey, gotta hunt them whales, right

Oh, I agree. That's what I meant by my edit. There is some degree of curation that should be done by Valve to ensure that games function on at least a basic level, and that it is actually something that merits charging money for. I think they have a degree of ethical responsibility to not enable people to basically rip off customers by charging 10 bucks for something they made in 2 hours in unity with the stock assets, and then lied about in the product description.

I just don't think it makes a lot of sense to set an arbitrary number of games that can be released in a year (or some other arbitrary limitation like a metacritic score to limit the number of games). I think if there are customers who are willing to buy a product, Valve would be dumb not to allow them to buy it on their store. If you listened to some people, no Visual Novels would be on Steam, because they aren't "real games" or whatever, and there is a growing anti-indie movement that I've seen lately on GAF who hate the fact that storefronts have any room at all for indie games. It's all nonsense. Just sell the games and let the customers decide which are worth buying. One man's trash, etc. etc.

Of course, as I said before, discoverability systems are key when a store gets large enough. Good games can, and do fall through the cracks when you don't have a good way to navigate through a large store and filter for content you care about.

An update while on the Steam client beta caused all of my library categories to get deleted except for non-steam games I've added (all 6 of them or so).

So now I'm recategorizing nearly 400 games and I opted out of the Steam client beta.

Regular Steam updates use to do that all the time, but it's been probably a year or more since the last time I had that issue.

I played a bit of Toukiden Kiwami and it seems to be the best of the Koei-Tecmo ports. Has Cloud-Saves, runs well (at 30fps), uses controller button prompts. seems to have all the content the console version has.

But strangely it has mixed reviews while the shitty One Piece port has positive reviews.

Corpekata

Banned
i dunno, i feel like valve owes it to their users to not sell them shit

and i don't mean shit like this game is bad, i mean shit like copy pasta unity3d/ue4 asset packs, or games that don't work or can't be finished, or games that are just shit in every possible way that a human being would never buy

but hey, gotta hunt them whales, right

What "whales" are even buying these? Pretty much they are all bombs, sold in bundles, or they get a few curious people that buy them when Jim Sterling points them out.

Tizoc

I'm just rant about it here but the fact that PS4 owners are all excited to play a PSOne game on their PS4 with a PLATINUM is just sad.

Lain

I played a bit of Toukiden Kiwami and it seems to be the best of the Koei-Tecmo ports. Has Cloud-Saves, runs well (at 30fps), uses controller button prompts. seems to have all the content the console version has.

But strangely it has mixed reviews while the shitty One Piece port has positive reviews.

I guess part of the mixed reviews come from the 1080p/30fps lock, part from the Windows 8.1 bug that had the game crash or bsod (I don't remember which, but I think that got patched?), part from the barebones nature of the port compared to the asking price and part from people not liking the game.
Nothing that can really be argued against.

Although if the game that is a 1:1 port of a PS4 game sits at mixed, and the one that's a weird mishmash of old gen and handheld assets with bugs never(?) addressed sits at positive, I do wonder what kind of message they are getting over at KT.

tmarg

I'm just rant about it here but the fact that PS4 owners are all excited to play a PSOne game on their PS4 with a PLATINUM is just sad.

Wazzat?

I actually want to play Toukiden, more out of curiosity than anything, since I like MH and would like to see someone else's take on it. I'm not willing to pay more for it than a real MH game though. $15 is probably my price.

I think the negative reviews are just it running into the 30 fps nutjobs at the wrong time, and unlike One Piece it doesn't have anime fan nutjobs to vote it back up.

Although if the game that is a 1:1 port of a PS4 game sits at mixed, and the one that's a weird mishmash of old gen and handheld assets with bugs never(?) addressed sits at positive, I do wonder what kind of message they are getting over at KT.

Yeah. I wonder about that. To me Toukiden seems one of the best ports of K-T PC-ports and it gets mixed reviews, while One Piece is a piece of shit, doesnt have cloud-saves, uses keyboard prompts without any way to change it, the options havent been fixed and doesnt even have multiplayer, gets positive reviews.

CCYXgne.png

I only started playing games on PC at the start of November.

What the fuck. RE4, 5, Revelations, Bionic Commando, DmC, Remember Me, and Strider all came from a Humble Bundle which got me into using my laptop for games but... this is ridiculous..

Tizoc

They are talking about the PC version port.

Yeah he PC port is being released on PSN, and apparently people are willing to drop like $15 on dat ish lol.

Just get the PC ver. and mod it to high heaven, not like this PSN release is gonna fix stuff up :p

CCYXgne.png

What the fuck. RE4, 5, Revelations, Bionic Commando, DmC, Remember Me, and Strider all came from a Humble Bundle which got me into using my laptop for games but... this is ridiculous..
You don't want to see SteamGAF's backlogs. It would probably kill you this early in the process.

CCYXgne.png

Welcome to Steam. It's a wonderful world of games you'll never play.

tmarg

So are you done with all the spoiler-throwing of last night?

Also thanks Bernardo for the MGSV big one. :'(

I haven't played MGSV because they won't put the rest of the series on a platform I actually own, but judging by the Harry Potter "spoiler" that accompanied it, that probably wasn't a real MGS spoiler.

Copons

I haven't played MGSV because they won't put the rest of the series on a platform I actually own, but judging by the Harry Potter "spoiler" that accompanied it, that probably wasn't a real MGS spoiler.

Wait, the HP one wasn't true?
I stopped reading HP at some point back in the days, and I always assumed that was true. :D

Lain

So are you done with all the spoiler-throwing of last night?

Also thanks Bernardo for the MGSV big one. :'(

Talking about spoilers, I love how when Harry Potter was the rage (I mean, spoiling Harry Potter was the rage), the spoiler did nothing for me because I had no idea who were those characters. Sometimes localizations save us.

AHA-Lambda

Oh god, folks were right Bloos 3's campaign is trash tier stuff :-/

I'm only at mission 5 but I already just have no clue what the plot of the game is, despite a lack of focus, the game keeps throwing these concepts at you with no context. There is zero sense if world building here, you'd never know it was connected to previous Blops games (well I assume it is given its the same series? :/)
Yeah don't play CoD for plot and all that but it really stands out!

Besides that, it's genuinely frustrating to play, which I can't think I've ever said about CoD before?
Playing solo on normal and it's already a chore, and I assume it's down to the coop focus (why can't devs EVER balance these for one player??).
Maps are huge with tonnes of enemies, many of which are total bullet sponges (wtf are there bullet sponge enemies in CoD?!?) and maybe it's just me but you seem to die way easier than usual.

I'm playing on normal and I've never been so frustrated playing a CoD campaign like this before -_-
I just keep getting flashbacks to MW2 while playing this, it may have had a shite plot, but it's set piece moments were plentiful and well done, this is just shite.

jediyoshi

http://zippy.gfycat.com/DeadlyVelvetyDevilfish.webm

Oh god, folks were right Bloos 3's campaign is trash tier stuff :-/

I'm only at mission 5 but I already just have no clue what the plot of the game is, despite a lack of focus, the game keeps throwing these concepts at you with no context. There is zero sense if world building here, you'd never know it was connected to previous Blops games (well I assume it is given its the same series? :/)
Yeah don't play CoD for plot and all that but it really stands out!

Stop playing. Don't let it hurt you anymore.

Just replay through Advanced Warfare and watch the movie Source Code.

Knurek

CCYXgne.png

Your backlog is so adorable.

Dr Dogg

Oh gaming side, you crazy bunch of plonkers.

You know, despite having reservations myself about not finding stuff on Steam after Valve opened the floodgates there hasn't been that many times when something has surprised me I didn't know was on the store.And then when it did more often it was a title that I had played or heard about years ago and just unceremoniously dumped on there with about 30 others of a similar ilk by a pub like Kiss. The discovery queue actually does a pretty good job of recommending me stuff that I actually like the look of and I've not gone through the lot like Stump does with Greenlight or played that many titles recently but it still throws up something every now and then that looks alright. Sure it's not Amazon but it's better than any other gaming storefront at tailored recommendation by quite a wide margin.

And a premium for console exclusives? Gamers really are the enemy of gaming sometimes. Then again thanks to these crazy, unironic ideas some have actually allows the real piss take posts to fly under the radar not matter how blatant they are and reel in a couple of suckers. Christ Orange caught M0dus out after being as obvious as can be for months on end.

Hektor

CCYXgne.png

welcome to PC gaming.

How much some people care about achievements weirdens me out again and again.

btw, where is your avatar?

Ludens

Banned
Yeah he PC port is being released on PSN, and apparently people are willing to drop like $15 on dat ish lol.

Just get the PC ver. and mod it to high heaven, not like this PSN release is gonna fix stuff up :p

Exactly. It's just...stupid for me.
You can take PC version for half the PSN price, even less if you purchase that Newegg bundle. But the point is, people are excited for this release ONLY because it contains trophies.
It's the exact, same game it was on PS1, only a bit cleaned up, because it's the PC version of the game.
No additional content, no gameplay tune-up, nothing.
But I can understand, I mean, if you look on Gaming side is plenty of people asking for Remasters of crappy title, way often multi-platform games sold everywhere.

If I'd be a publisher, why I should refuse on getting basically free money for a little amount of work?
If people ask for remasters or re-release with trophies, why should I say "No" if the cost for me is almost zero?

At this point I wonder why Konami didn't just release MGS4 trophy patch in the 25th Year Edition of the game instead of giving it for free to all MGS4 owners like they did.

In a perfect world SE would give FFVII PS4 port for free to all FFVII owners on PSN, but we all know it won't happen.

Another example: PS3 60 GB FAT came with EmotionEngine: Sony decided to remove it because no one wants to play PS2 games.

After a couple of year, Sony start releasing PS2 titles on PSN (remember, they told emulation wasn't possibile without EE: well, they lied). Hackers found an evidence the emulator released with each one of those titles can run pretty much all PS2 games on custom firmware.

Sony released PS4: it comes with no PS3 backward compatibility to lower the cost. People demand PS3 games, Sony release a fucktons of remasters (and the thing is still going). Plus Sony is offering PS2 backward compatibility (and, be sure, it will be ONLY for digital titles, because Sony doesn't want to lose money).

This makes no sense, if not for Sony, which is actually doing a lot of money out of this: if there are so many people desiring to play all PS3 games, why don't you, you know, simply buy a PS3? If I want play Fable 2 so much, if I NEED it, I would buy a 360. It's always worked like this, or, like Nintendo, a platform would offer backward compatibility from the start, but FULL backward compatibility (so, you know, you can actually read discs). Like Sony did with PS1 games, but there was no market for PS1 titles on disc except from collectors, and I bet if Sony introduces PS1 backward compatibility now, it will be digital only.

Copons

Talking about spoilers, I love how when Harry Potter was the rage (I mean, spoiling Harry Potter was the rage), the spoiler did nothing for me because I had no idea who were those characters. Sometimes localizations save us.

Also, Silente >>>> Dumbledore, and Renato Zero >>>> Snapes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom