• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phinor

hmm, I'm not sure actually, I have the "crucible pass" DLC and it works, maybe that's the season pass? lol

I don't even remember where I got the game from

Crucible pass (whatever it is) is also the only thing I have in my Darksiders 2 content list. Didn't pass the check though, says I only own Darksiders 2.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Some people are more passionate than others.

Yo, it's great games.

Just tired by the constant comparing between all games and souls.
My passion was at an all time low, played dark souls and got into games again. After I played dark souls I could start feeling enjoyment of other games again. It just got me into games again.

Because the combat from witcha 3 is very similar, just not as good.

The combat in Witcher is much more like ac or batman combat.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
A Ubisoft support rep called me passionate the other day. I'd say methodical or articulate judging by the content on my ticket but then again they gave me a wishy washy answer that required me to reply again in more detail so I guess you could call that 'passionate desperate'.

Anteater

Crucible pass (whatever it is) is also the only thing I have in my Darksiders 2 content list. Didn't pass the check though, says I only own Darksiders 2.

The Crucible Pass refers to the combat arena. The Season Pass is the Season Pass. ;)

weeeird

yea I only have the crucible pass or whatever not the season pass

tKzwVeq.jpg

and I passed all the checks

C9QAFzK.jpg

AHA-Lambda

WOW!

That Menendez reference in Blops 3 is INCREDIBLY forced.

"We're grateful to blops 2's villain cos he fucked shit up so much we got big guns after all the shit he pulled."

Worst written CoD ever? Surely?
Christ, I thought MW2 was bad.

Edit:
And now an obviously innocent man is being treated like a terrorist in interrogation.
Hendricks is a terrible character.

Edit 2:
"What is going on?"
"Oh you know. You know everything. You just don't know it yet."

Dear God. The new I don't have time to explain why I don't have time to explain?

Anteater

Surprised at the hate towards the witcher 3's combat, I can understand the criticism but I thought it's serviceable, I'd even prefer witcher 3 more than something like ass creed/mad max/sleeping dogs, I mean I even saw someone said the witcher 3 has worse combat than skyrim in that thread.

I'd put the witcher 3 above a lot of the heavily scripted shit that's popular these days

Anteater

I remember people used to say dragon's dogma was a "quick cash-in" skyrim/dark souls clone from Capcom after they saw the success of those games.

Dark Souls and Skyrim were released only several months before Dragon's Dogma...

Has armors and swords, must be the same kind of game, also BB is an exclusive, go figure.

Someone should make a list of all the things the Witcher does that Souls games will never come close to but then again why would anyone submit themselves to the tidal shitstorm the Souls fanboys will throw their way for doing it.

I honestly cannot believe someone thinks W3's combat is shit. I mean, W1 had it's problems, yes, but the second and the third games have actually a really enjoyable combat, much better than Skyrim, AC, Batman for example.

Most of the games nowadays have heavily scripted combat

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Someone should make a list of all the things the Witcher does that Souls games will never come close to but then again why would anyone submit themselves to the tidal shitstorm the Souls fanboys will throw their way for doing it.

A good narrative, story and dialogue.

Great quest design.

Actually souls is great in it's own way, it's all about the combat. Which must be some of the best I've played but the narrative and quest design in souls is a mess. It's made to not be about the "story".

Found a great post in the thread:
These threads.... Everyone acting like "the other" game is the worst of all time.

Bloodborne and Souls have great combat. They are literally focused only on combat, it is what you do 99% of the time in the game and many people love it.

Fallout / TES are about freedom and exploration. They have bad combat and some (FO3/4/Skyrim) have often bad writing, but the sandbox and exploration make up for that and many people love it.

Witcher 1/2/3 is first and foremost about narrative and quest design. They have better quests than pretty much any AAA RPG of the last decade. In Witcher 3 and its expansion, I:

- hunted for a Giant on a remote island
- participated in a hilarious theater play
- investigated serial murders
- took part in large gwent tournament with surprise at the end
- interacted with adoptive daughter and ensured she got enough confidence to take on large responsibilities
- experienced an authetic, amazingly funny wedding
- took part in deciding who is going to be crowned next king of entire Isle nation
- slayed many epic monsters, usually with interesting narrative around them
- got drunk with my fellow witchers
and then crossdressed and drunk dialed religious figure who was taking a shit at that moment
- traveled through
different worlds
- participated in a heist
- and many many more memorable things

Can any other game offer me all this, while being consistently well written and beautifully immersive ? No. But that does not mean I must act like other games are "trash" and "worst".
Witcher could have better combat, sure. But it is good enough at what it wants to do, namely simulate Witcher-like combat style.

I like all kinds of games. I have 200 hours across Dark Souls 1/2, I have 180 hours in Skyrim, I have 230 hours in Witcher 3 and I have 80 hours in Fallout 4 and I fucking love the fact that there are all these amazing games, that are different from each other and attempt to do different things.

Now, would I want Witcher to have even better combat ? Sure

Would I want Bloodborne to have shorter loadings, no framepacing issues and more varied gameplay ? Sure

Would I want Fallout 4 to be better written and have more interesting sidequests ? Sure

Does not mean I cannot enjoy all these games anyway. I do and I am glad they exist.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Experimenting to see if I can get Red Haze, a little horror game thing, onto Steam via Greenlight.

Freeware semi-sequel to my previous Close Your Eyes. I'm happy that Close Your Eyes was so well received, but it doesn't make getting games of mine easier on Steam. I have no good way to tell fans of the original game about this, unfortunately. OTL But hey, see how it goes, makes things interesting.

Problem with my games is since I handle near everything about them, the art isn't good and selling people on them is a bit tough without them playing it. I got a lot of feedback from people who played CYE who weren't expecting much from the game due to how it looked, and despite some flaws I am more than aware of, almost all ended up liking it, and a surprising number even loved it. I wish my art talents were up to snuff, but work with what I got. And see how this rolls now.

Jawmuncher

Experimenting to see if I can get Red Haze, a little horror game thing, onto Steam via Greenlight.

Freeware semi-sequel to my previous Close Your Eyes. I'm happy that Close Your Eyes was so well received, but it doesn't make getting games of mine easier on Steam. I have no good way to tell fans of the original game about this, unfortunately. OTL But hey, see how it goes, makes things interesting.

Problem with my games is since I handle near everything about them, the art isn't good and selling people on them is a bit tough without them playing it. I got a lot of feedback from people who played CYE who weren't expecting much from the game due to how it looked, and despite some flaws I am more than aware of, almost all ended up liking it, and a surprising number even loved it. I wish my art talents were up to snuff, but work with what I got. And see how this rolls now.

You have my vote

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter devs are working on an "open world action-adventure" game

Polish outfit The Astronauts are working on a new game and it sounds like it's going to be a bit of a departure from their debut game, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

The Astronauts are currently looking for an AI programmer to bolster their small team, according to a job advertisement that's been posted online. Here's the translation, courtesy of GamePressure: "We are doing a new game and it’s an open world action-adventure.

"It’ll be rad, but of course we are not going to bite off more than we can chew right away. Anyway, as suggested by the description, this will be more of a game than an explorer like Ethan. Although it will still have heavy atmosphere and deep narrative, it won’t do without men and creatures trying to kill you.”

Knowing creative director Adrian Chmielarz's design philosophy, with its heavy focus on narrative and making each scene important to the story, this project will be very different to the open-world action games we're accustomed to - don't expect to go scaling towers, collecting feathers and taking part in repeating minigames here.

And if Adrian Chmielarz did want you to collect 100 feathers, he'd make sure there was a damn good story justification for it. Perhaps winter is on its way, you're a bird, and an enemy plucked you. You need to retrieve them before you freeze to death, or something.

Though details are thin on the ground, I'm tentatively excited about what this could be. In a world where everyone is making open-world action games, it'll be interesting to see what happens when someone tries to take the genre in a different direction, assuming they will... Which they will.

Hope they continue with their current technique when taking photos of things in the real world and using them as assets. What's it called? I can't remember.

Though I would be surprised if they did that for an open world game.

It was called photogrammetry. I don't think they can pull it off if they plan to make a game with a scale much larger than Ethan Carter. It must be an expensive process.

Dr Dogg

Fucks sake Salsa, why did you have to make that thread about Dying Light. Seeing as I bought it 2 months ago, in two minds what to faff about with today and only being 12gb to download I though fuck it let's have a look see. Turns out the game is awesome and now I'm going to spend the better part of today jumping round like a looney, being a goody two shoes and helping out survivors and caving zombies heads in with a lead pipe. My backlog is never going to get finished :(

rtcn63

It finally arrived! Only three days later then it should have, so I can't drop it in with the framing shop that I used for my Juri pic for a while. Still, it looks fantastic.

Is LiS
an unofficial Persona tie-in? Philemon you sly dog.

Ludens

Banned
Do you think SE will update their build of FFVII with addition they are implementing into PS4 version? I read about a new translation, also maybe they are translating the game into italian language (currenctly this is the ONLY FF game never translated into italian, other FF got an italian translation via iOS ports).

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Next year will be one hell of a big year for paradox.

Both stellaris and HoI4 releases and probably with the success with their publishing this year will lead to even more great games getting published by them.

They also bought white wolf which hopefully will in the future give us some great games.
Wonder if they'll expand a bit more and if their paradox north studio will show off any game. At this point they have done nothing.

Parsnip

I know this is totally out of left field, but has anyone else noticed that the sound effects and ambient sounds in Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin are totally jacked?

Like, any time you move around in the menu, the menu >chung< noise cuts out the ambient background effects for a half second longer than the actual sound effect. Some weapon effects also cut out other effects. It's super annoying and didn't happen in Dark Souls 2 vanilla.

There are no sound settings in the game (aside from volume sliders). I've searched around an only found a 2 post thread on the Steam Community boards complaining of the same thing. I'm just wondering if it's my sound setup.

Anyone else have this problem?
I didn't have that, but I did have some weird environmental audio problems which I "fixed" by setting the playback device from 5.1 to stereo from windows cp.

Free Darksiders II: DE for owners of DS2+spass if someone didn't get it yet: http://ds2dekeyredeem.nordicgames.at/
Heh. I bought it at launch because I think they deserved the 6&#8364; for their efforts, but I'm glad they managed to put that together for the people who felt slighted.

1440p looks nice. No need for AA at all but performance goes down to the steady 40s. Eh, back to 1080p and stable 60. Removed all texture packs as well, only using LOD fixes. Game looks still great. Don't think I'll put texture packs in again.

Uzzy

Next year will be one hell of a big year for paradox.

Both stellaris and HoI4 releases and probably with the success with their publishing this year will lead to even more great games getting published by them.

They also bought white wolf which hopefully will in the future give us some great games.
Wonder if they'll expand a bit more and if their paradox north studio will show off any game. At this point they have done nothing.

I also wonder what Stellaris and HOI4 will mean for continued support for CK2 and EU4. Both of those are getting rather full, with features on top of features being added. Can't see a lot of space for expansion in either.

Is LiS
an unofficial Persona tie-in? Philemon you sly dog.

That would be cool, but no!

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I also wonder what Stellaris and HOI4 will mean for continued support for CK2 and EU4. Both of those are getting rather full, with features on top of features being added. Can't see a lot of space for expansion in either.
They will probably drop support for ck2 next year. Seems like they've done everything for that game at this point.

Redhead? Hell yeah! You got my vote.

Uzzy

They will probably drop support for ck2 next year. Seems like they've done everything for that game at this point.

Pretty much. The stuff they could do would be pushing the game further away from the core of the game, the feudal politics of the crusading era. Not that that's a bad thing necessarily, playing as raiding vikings is a lot of fun. But if they push the game any further into the past they'll be buttressing up against the fall of Rome. Or if they keep pushing east, they'll get into China.

Now I'd love a game from Paradox that dealt with either of those two subjects, but I'd be surprised if the CK2 design could really portray those two subjects well enough.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Pretty much. The stuff they could do would be pushing the game further away from the core of the game, the feudal politics of the crusading era. Not that that's a bad thing necessarily, playing as raiding vikings is a lot of fun. But if they push the game any further into the past they'll be buttressing up against the fall of Rome. Or if they keep pushing east, they'll get into China.

Now I'd love a game from Paradox that dealt with either of those two subjects, but I'd be surprised if the CK2 design could really portray those two subjects well enough.
They've already confirmed that they are not going further east.

So either they extend time line or change/add more mechanics. And they can't just keep extending the time line over and over again.

Eu4 still has some things that they could make better but it's getting close to the same point ck2 is in.

I'm guessing we'll have to look forward to the years of support hoi4 and stellaris will get and look back fondly of these years of support for eu4 and ck2. Can't say you can look back fondly to the games before that with their then shitty dlc practices. (dlc wise don't burn me alivealive for speaking out bad about Victoria 2,I know there's a lot of people loving that game)

There's a Paradox game about antiquity, specially based around Rome, but I've heard it's pretty shitty. I think I'd be offended by 'tech levels' in that one too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom