• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

This is turning out to be a glorious day for my gaming habbits. Sleepy Dogs swanky artbook, FFXIII out on Steam with dual audio and doesn't sound kneecapped, Bayonetta 2 demo on the eShop and Ubisoft making wallies of themselves. I wonder what the Daily and Weekend deals are going to be?

Haha 28gb to go!

Ouch! When I checked after leaving the house I had 24gb done and 26gb to go. I'm sure everyone else will have 'fun' for us :(

Glass Rebel

I wish more companies would do that. But knowing SE, they would charge for the VA instead of releasing it for free if it was actually DLC and not included in the base download.

I think Japanese VA for Lightning Returns was free for a while when it launched because it's on my PSN account but I don't own the game myself. You have to pay for it but it's not a huge sum (equivalent of $5). I'm rather happy with how Nintendo handles most of their releases, including Japanese and English VA in practically everything
but having no VA in Zelda lol
but I'd rather pay a small sum for licensing costs than not have it at all.

Salsa

hey guys you know what game is 60fps and the publisher has discussed that specific aspect of it deeply as a major advantage and something necessary?

uneknvwa2boqv72tcguh.gif

yissss

seriously tho ubi

MUnited83

For you.
Are Norwegians gonna replace Russians for great deals or no?

Norwegians have prices that are very slightly cheaper than the European prices and still higher than most US prices. So no.

hey guys you know what game is 60fps and the publisher has discussed that specific aspect of it deeply as a major advantage and something necessary?

uneknvwa2boqv72tcguh.gif

yissss

seriously tho ubi
To be fair, a fighting game benefits much more of 60fps than AC.

Been 15 years since I played Omikron on the Dreamcast. Bowie for $2.50? Methinks so.

I played this on Dreamcast too and I don't think I had played anything like it at the time. It feels like forever ago, but I remember playing it with a friend and spending what felt like hours one night, in the main character's apartment, listening to the holograph shows and commercials. "But *I* love you, Tanya!"

EDIT: Where is it $2.50?

FloatOn

hey is this one of those sequels by that company that makes essentially the same game every time they go to do a sequel?

7 hours left to download 30gb of Lightning waifu material, ugh. God "bless" Argentina's ISPs. Some of the worst in the world along with cellphone providers.

The process is like this here: Start download, halts after 10 mins, need to restart modem. Rinse and repeat until hours passed and you downloaded it. I can never download at the full speed we pay for without the connection cutting in the middle. I'm just glad Steam uses a torrent-like system because for regular downloads it's a nightmare.

I've been at home, sick with a respiratory infection that knocked me out of the office and earned me a mandatory 48hs resting period.

Ah, well, at least I managed to clear A.R.E.S. EX edition. Definitely much much better than the original release even though it still has some horribly terri-bad platforming sections.

20gb/49.4gb left to event horizon.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Reposting because I want some info, I feel like buying something to go with Grimrock 2

Hmm I feel like spending today, particularly in a non-shitty RPG. Something like a less horrible Skyrim (but I already have Oblivion and Morrowind, and already have Masquerade).

What are the opinions on Divine Divinity Original Sin and Starpoint Gmini 2?

Also huh? Why did the "this game can only be activated in x country" warnings vanish?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Dr Dogg

I wonder how many people are going to get people from Sweden confused with folks from Norway? Of course for anyone who hasn't watch John Carpenter's The Thing that will go right over their head.

There's an artbook? A real big one? Or small and it came with your special edition you posted earlier?

No sorry nothing fancy just the one I posted earlier. I'm sure there's some pics out in the wild by now but for reference it's like the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition packaging so 20-24page artbook and faux case all in one.

Reposting because I want some info, I feel like buying something to go with Grimrock 2

I think the general consensus with Original Sin is that if you dig 'old school' RPGs, it's the best you'll get. I've only spent a short amount of time with it, but the level of detail they put into the game really is something.

Boss Doggie

hey is this one of those sequels by that company that makes essentially the same game every time they go to do a sequel?

Yeah it's essentially the same game that the fanbase is so divisive on which version they want to play :p

not sure if joke post

pretty much.

Eh I dunno. Last time I tried to infinite cape in 3D World I failed miserably.

I think the general consensus with Original Sin is that if you dig 'old school' RPGs, it's the best you'll get. I've only spent a short amount of time with it, but the level of detail they put into the game really is something.

by old school you mean old PC RPGs right?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
"You're" :(

But yeah, this is a great response. Those people can go have intercourse with their own characters.

See, i just don't get this. Ignore those comments, they're clearly coming from immature, unsophisticated crowd that are having emotional reactions to games that they have emotional attachments to. The best approach, if any, is to be an adult about it and reply in a mature, sophisticated manner.

this? You're just inciting the incitables.
You talk like it's always easy to ignore that kind of comments. It's probably not always the case, and some people can be affected by them more than others.

FloatOn

hey so do you think CDPR will start showing cyberpunk after witcher 3 comes out.

I'm hungry for a non fantasy rpg

Good enough for me.

yeah that's what I'm saying zelda u seems fundamentally different than the traditional zelda. It really makes me want to jump on the wii u bandwagon. especially since my computer is showing it's age.

Tizoc

So based on what one GAFfer posted, I plan on moving the following games to my 2 TB HDD 3.0 usb come saturday at the earliest:
FF13
Wolfenstein TNO
Mordor
Dead Rising 3
Tex Murphy 2014

That'll free up around 200 GB in my laptop's harddrives.

Now from what I was told, I just need to create a folder in the new HDD and then just cut and paste the above games' folders to the new destination, but then how do I make Steam recognize their new location?
Do I right click the game's title on Steam and fix that through properties?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Ubisoft? Or you mean Activision? :p

I'm halfway joking. I know nintendo brings the quality. I just think they can stand to do riskier shit.

like zelda-rim U
Already did with Paper Mario. Many people disliked Super (ugly people) and Sticker Star (can't say either way, as I haven't played it yet).

Kiru

yeah that's what I'm saying zelda u seems fundamentally different than the traditional zelda. It really makes me want to jump on the wii u bandwagon. especially since my computer is showing it's age.
Ahhh ok, seems I misunderstood you. Yeah the stuff they showed at E3 was great.

Knurek

Now from what I was told, I just need to create a folder in the new HDD and then just cut and paste the above games' folders to the new destination, but then how do I make Steam recognize their new location?
Do I right click the game's title on Steam and fix that through properties?

Move the files to new location (or copy and delete), then make a junction on the original drive pointing the the new directory.

Something like this:

xcopy /E /V /I /F /Y "d:\gry\pc\steam\steamapps\common\10000000" "F:\games\10000000"
cmd /C rd /S /Q "d:\gry\pc\steam\steamapps\common\10000000"
cmd /C mklink /J "d:\gry\pc\steam\steamapps\common\10000000" "F:\games\10000000"

Just edit the correct directories.

I personally use a Total Commander script for SysInternals junction.exe, F6 to move the data between drives, Ctrl-Alt-F5 to make a junction. Way less hassle.
Steammover is also good, but only supports Steam.

You talk like it's always easy to ignore that kind of comments. It's probably not always the case, and some people can be affected by them more than others.

If a stranger on the internet told me to eat a penis, i would react as if someone who i had no knowledge of and no history with told me to eat a penis. I'd shrug, and move on, because I have no reason to pay any attention to an obnoxious stranger who is clearly looking for a reaction.

But, hey, that's just me. And sure, people need moments to vent and get things out of their system. I understand that. But that reaction isn't going to make things better for him or suddenly cause an entire community of trolls and lunatics to back off. It'll do the opposite, more likely than not.

Kiru

Move the files to new location (or copy and delete), then make a junction on the original drive pointing the the new directory.

Something like this:

xcopy /E /V /I /F /Y "d:\gry\pc\steam\steamapps\common\10000000" "F:\games\10000000"
cmd /C rd /S /Q "d:\gry\pc\steam\steamapps\common\10000000"
cmd /C mklink /J "d:\gry\pc\steam\steamapps\common\10000000" "F:\games\10000000"

Just edit the correct directories.

Easy to use shell extension here: http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html

Deitus

Especially in the light of the whole gamergate fiasco, it is getting increasingly hard to pretend that you can just ignore the trolls. I mean yes, as a general policy, you should not engage with trolls. But the sheer volume of harassment that some people have suffered merely for daring to say something critical, for voicing concerns about representation, or not being 100% opposed to the "enemies", is disgusting. I don't know what the solution is, or if there is even a solution, but just ignoring it doesn't work, at least not when it gets really bad.

arrow-2.gif

Good enough for me.

Please don't be like Skyrim please don't be like Skyrim pleasedontbelikeSkyrim

Dr Dogg

Don't even need to do that any more just plug the new drive in, regardless if it's a internal or external drive, just as long as it's assigned a drive letter. Create a new Steam Library Folder via Steam > Settings> Downloads > Steam Library Folders and move the hole common folder there and it will pop up when Steam is restarted like nothing ever happened. You can even share that between multiple PC's as well as all you have to do after the file structure is set up is readd it as a Library location again.

I'm going to be honest here while that's great and all for someone that's not familiar with a command prompt it's no where near as flexible or powerful. Plus learning about how your OS works behind the GUI is worthwhile. That and I could type my commands quicker into a shell faster than a load of clicking.

Especially in the light of the whole gamergate fiasco, it is getting increasingly hard to pretend that you can just ignore the trolls. I mean yes, as a general policy, you should not engage with trolls. But the sheer volume of harassment that some people have suffered merely for daring to say something critical, for voice concerns about representation, or not being 100% opposed to the "enemies", is disgusting. I don't know what the solution is, or if there is even a solution, but just ignoring it doesn't work, at least not when it gets really bad.

Please don't be like Skyrim please don't be like Skyrim pleasedontbelikeSkyrim

I'm expecting it to be a cross between Skyward Sword and Xenoblade Chronicles.

Boss Doggie

So I've been browsing steamdb, how will I know if something is region locked? Steam stopped putting the region limitations in their site.

Knurek

Don't even need to do that any more just plug the new drive in, regardless if it's a internal or external drive, just as long as it's assigned a drive letter. Create a new Steam Library Folder via Steam > Settings> Downloads > Steam Library Folders and move the hole common folder there and it will pop up when Steam is restarted like nothing ever happened. You can even share that between multiple PC's as well as all you have to do after the file structure is set up is readd it as a Library location again.

Question is - does Steam take care of registry entries the game made that might point to the old drive?

Turfster

So I've been browsing steamdb, how will I know if something is region locked? Steam stopped putting the region limitations in their site.

Short version:
See how many packages a game is in, then check the package you're interested in (RU/CIS or BR usually if you want to import from Putin or Brazil).
If it has an onlyallowrunincountries, you're screwed.
There's also a no cross region gifting one I can't think of the name of at the moment.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
If a stranger on the internet told me to eat a penis, i would react as if someone who i had no knowledge of and no history with told me to eat a penis. I'd shrug, and move on, because I have no reason to pay any attention to an obnoxious stranger who is clearly looking for a reaction.

But, hey, that's just me. And sure, people need moments to vent and get things out of their system. I understand that. But that reaction isn't going to make things better for him or suddenly cause an entire community of trolls and lunatics to back off. It'll do the opposite, more likely than not.

What if 80 people would tell you to eat a dick each day?
Also I feel like at this point Sterling is fully aware of what writing about this does, he's been...controversial for some time now. So maybe it does make things better for him ;)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Indeed, that's you. You can be insulted by a stranger and shrug it off as the ramblings of a random fool, and that's great, but not everyone can. I'd feel terrible if someone insulted me, whoever that is. Am I insecure? Yes, a lot, and those comments would only make me feel even more uncomfortable about myself, and help lower my self-esteem.

It's true that having a thick skin on the internet helps. Yet not everyone does. Hell, I already feel incredibly stupid for my previous mistake of "you're". Don't even want to think how I'd feel if strangers were insulting me for that.

Especially in the light of the whole gamergate fiasco, it is getting increasingly hard to pretend that you can just ignore the trolls. I mean yes, as a general policy, you should not engage with trolls. But the sheer volume of harassment that some people have suffered merely for daring to say something critical, for voicing concerns about representation, or not being 100% opposed to the "enemies", is disgusting. I don't know what the solution is, or if there is even a solution, but just ignoring it doesn't work, at least not when it gets really bad.
Indeed. Each person is different, and some can't ignore ugly comments directed to them.

Dr Dogg

Question is - does Steam take care of registry entries the game made that might point to the old drive?

Would be probably on a game by game basis but I've not had any issues when doing that. It's exactly as having Steam installed on a separate drive when doing a reformat, it will update dependencies and registry info as and when needed and I've been doing that for years without a hitch. Only issues I could see are some funky DRM riddled games that need specific locations but that will be stuff like SecuROM which is nestled in AppData or SolidShield which you should revoke before even attempt moving.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I'm guessing I already know the answer to this, but there's no way to get the little cloud icon to show up next to games with Steam Cloud support in the Detail view, right? It's only in the list view?

MUnited83

For you.
See how many packages a game is in, then check the package you're interested in (RU/CIS or BR usually if you want to import from Putin or Brazil).
If it has an onlyallowrunincountries, you're screwed.

Well, with the new region lock normally everybody gets the same package, so trying to find RU/CIS or BR will do nothing. He will have to check that package and see if the line "AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting" is set to "no"

You know, you are right. I've read it again while writing this post and he was actually right.

Sorry, I suck as a grammar nazi :(

The correct grammar nazi criticism for Sterling's article was: "Backpedalling*" (or "Backpedaling* if you're American.) But thanks for playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom