• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsnip

Ah. Solved my issue with removing the N++ beta.

I just went to the support page of any other game and looked at the url for the "I want to permanently remove..." option, grabbed the issue id from it and appended it to the url of the broken support page and used that, for example ?appid=512580&issueid=123.

The resulting support page was still broken with missing icons and the field where it normally says the game was blank as well, but the buttons to remove the game worked and now it's gone.

I beat the system.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Released. Gaffer-made if i'm not mistaken, I played a bit of the beta and it was quite fun.

FatGPwL.gif

Wok

More notable games released today.

Oh...Sir!! The Insult Simulator (with 50% launch discount). A weird game that I first noticed because Stump wishlisted it.

Ginger: Beyond the Crystal (with 20% launch discount). Maybe a contender for Unbox?

Slayaway Camp (with 26% launch discount). A nice puzzle game with innovative Sokoban mechanics in a horror movie setting. Edit: Beaten by Bernardo on that one.

madjoki

More notable games released today.

Oh...Sir!! The Insult Simulator (with 50% launch discount). A weird game that I first noticed because Stump wishlisted it.

-50% discount is for Shadow Warrior owners only, 10% for everyone else.

batman telltale game runs well on my end, looks sorta good too :0

yeah...played part of the episode and only noticed a couple little hitches so far...rest of the time it was smooth

at least this way I'm able to get a feeling for what they're going for with the game...will pick up the rest of the episodes once they are all released

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away an item. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

5EAQeQ5.png
Assault Android Cactus -- MB-4207ABC65F13CCA5 - Taken by Ludens

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Assault Android Cactus was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Rhaknar, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Odallus: The Dark Call -- MB-1D58C3BA12B709C6 - Taken by Jalal. 9 entrants total.

t1477423591z1.png

boo

Anyone else expecting the monthly bundle to be kind of.... flat.... because they gave away Stardew as the first unlock? I'm pretty sure that alone will get them the most sales they've gotten for a monthly all year, so....

I'm really, really cynical aren't I?

Lomax

Anyone else expecting the monthly bundle to be kind of.... flat.... because they gave away Stardew as the first unlock? I'm pretty sure that alone will get them the most sales they've gotten for a monthly all year, so....

I'm really, really cynical aren't I?

Not to knock Stardew Valley, but as a discount getting it for $12 really isn't a deal at all, so I don't see it driving sales of people who would buy the bundle just for that one game. Some of the stuff earlier in the year would have been at its lowest discount ever just at the $12 level. So no, I don't really think it will be any different this month than the others. Besides, if you want to be cynical, aren't we supposed to believe that the lower number of bundles on the main site is because they are holding those games for the monthly (even though that really doesn't make any sense at all)?

It's a great game, but I already had it, so here it is.
ModBot said:
Instructions for Garmonbozia:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Garmonbozia, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Technobabylon -- MB-4979339A9DCC0EFD - Taken by redlacs. 5 entrants total.

t1477424885z1.png

rtcn63

Replaced my GPU. Holy shit. My old Windforce is huge, and I was really afraid of damaging it or my motherboard during removal. The 1060 SC itself wouldn't accept the screw that came with the case... well that specific one, I tried another and it worked. My PC booted up and has been for about half an hour without a crash, so that's good so far.

Crossing my fingers.

Phawx

Funny story, Paul DeAngelo who plays Ronnie Angelo in Sleepaway Camp lives in my hometown and looks pretty much the same.

Bethesda won't send review copies for Skyrim SE and Dishonored 2 until day before release

https://bethesda.net/en/article/42QH1pTNpKSYIcgKK2C4wW/bethesda-and-game-reviews
Earlier this year we released DOOM. We sent review copies to arrive the day before launch, which led to speculation about the quality of the game. Since then DOOM has emerged as a critical and commercial hit, and is now one of the highest-rated shooters of the past few years.

With the upcoming launches of Skyrim Special Edition and Dishonored 2, we will continue our policy of sending media review copies one day before release. While we will continue to work with media, streamers, and YouTubers to support their coverage – both before and after release – we want everyone, including those in the media, to experience our games at the same time.

We also understand that some of you want to read reviews before you make your decision, and if that’s the case we encourage you to wait for your favorite reviewers to share their thoughts.
Looks like a standard policy for them from now on.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Bethesda taking the wrong lesson from DOOM. SMH.

Denying the reviews and coverage around their games just makes me forget they exist. And they have to reach me inside the Civ VI hole, which is MIGHTY DEEP at the moment. Basically no shot at me getting Dishonored 2 on release now. Guess I'll wait till Spring and a sale later.

Lomax

Is there any group more meaningless now than the game review press? I'm honestly surprised publishers send copies at all any more really.

kagamin

You know what, reading that statement, I don't actually mind, especially when they encourage those who want reviews to wait till after reviews drop.

Clearly not what they want people to do but most of us will probably wait before buying it anyways if we are planning on getting it anytime soon. :p

xezuru

Clearly not what they want people to do but most of us will probably wait before buying it anyways if we are planning on getting it anytime soon. :p

I live the poverty life of only buying like 3 games a year. Always go hella deep in batman ass pre-prep research for shit I spend money on. That said Dishonored 2 is prolly one of my instabuys, last year's was Witcher 3 and Bloodborne. fuckit

Jawmuncher

You know what, reading that statement, I don't actually mind, especially when they encourage those who want reviews to wait till after reviews drop rather than buying without knowing.

But lets be real here, most of the time people just buy the game anyway and just trade in the game or refund depending on where they bought it.

So I see it as delayed reviews really don't do much more than help the publisher hide from any potential problems that might arise from reviews.

Is there any group more meaningless now than the game review press? I'm honestly surprised publishers send copies at all any more really.
There's significant value in having a bunch of press coverage all hit at once (if you have a good game) at the cost of nothing but the game.

xezuru

Knowing performance benchmarks beforehand is pretty important at least

Yeah honestly this is the only thing Im worried about for Dishonored 2, I mean, I've had none of the crazy warning signs I get from usual shit flops, but this generation has been really bad with some fuckin shit ports. That said Dis2 just seems like modified Dis1 engine with added stuff so I don't see how they can flop performance wise.

Lomax

There's significant value in having a bunch of press coverage all hit at once (if you have a good game) at the cost of nothing but the game.

But is there? I know smaller games really could use the coverage, but do we actually think games getting advertised on espn really need game review coverage at all to be successful? And streaming exposure carries a lot more weight than written reviews anyway. I think most publishers still do it as much out of habit as anything.

madjoki

Yeah honestly this is the only thing Im worried about for Dishonored 2, I mean, I've had none of the crazy warning signs I get from usual shit flops, but this generation has been really bad with some fuckin shit ports. That said Dis2 just seems like modified Dis1 engine with added stuff so I don't see how they can flop performance wise.

Isn't it entirely different engine tho, as in modified id tech vs Unreal used by previous game?

Phinor

Looks like a standard policy for them from now on.

Bethesda say they "encourage you to wait for your favorite reviewers to share their thoughts" which is simply false, they heavily encourage you to pre-order their new games with pre-order bonuses.

In any case, expect the EA/Activision/Microsoft way of doing to become an industry standard in the near future if it isn't already. Pay a lot of extra to get access to the game early while review embargo stays until release or review copies won't be available until launch. At some point review sites have to adapt and no longer sign up for review copies/NDAs and simply start buying the ultimate editions to get reviews out before release.

Personally I really hate this pre-order for earlier access crap. When I finally got access to FH3, I was already looking forward to other games because I had spent better part of a week reading everyone's thoughts about FH3. It simply didn't feel like Forza Horizon 3 released when it did and you were hopelessly behind everyone who paid extra. It felt like a punishment to me instead of a reward for others. Same with Gears 4, same with Battlefield 1.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I wonder what store updates we'll see today during maintenance, if any

Kaleinc

Banned
Personally I really hate this pre-order for earlier access crap. When I finally got access to FH3, I was already looking forward to other games because I had spent better part of a week reading everyone's thoughts about FH3. It simply didn't feel like Forza Horizon 3 released when it did and you were hopelessly behind everyone who paid extra. It felt like a punishment to me instead of a reward for others. Same with Gears 4, same with Battlefield 1.
Help me here. You couldn't enjoy FH cause it was released without delay but somebody had the chance to start playing several days earlier and that ruined your experience? Why are playing games again?

Nzyme32

I wonder what store updates we'll see today during maintenance, if any

Assuming they were correct at dev days (and not in volvo time), it should show up today if you were to take their "couple of weeks" timeframe literally. Failing that, I imagine there will be some noticeable changes in preparation.

But is there? I know smaller games really could use the coverage, but do we actually think games getting advertised on espn really need game review coverage at all to be successful? And streaming exposure carries a lot more weight than written reviews anyway. I think most publishers still do it as much out of habit as anything.
I mean in this case it was discussing high profile AAA games, which I would tend to agree with you. I still see there being value for publishers and/or developers who can't afford a multi-million dollar ad buy.

And I did also mean to include that by sending out the games, you don't just get written reviews, as you mentioned there's streaming by professionals and non-professionals, as well as discussions on podcasts. The cost of providing a game in exchange for being discussed on a variety of mediums must be a high value proposition. (Again, assuming your game will be avoiding negative feedback)

Phinor

Help me here. You couldn't enjoy FH cause it was released without delay but somebody had the chance to start playing several days earlier and that ruined your experience? Why are playing games again?

I probably can't help with seeing the issue but as I said, the momentum was gone. I simply started looking at other games because there was nothing to see in FH3 anymore and it's not a great racing game, there are way better games to enjoy actual racing. FH3 was more like a place to see and enjoy for a while but that while happened before the game even released.

Also there's car clubs and they have limited space so while I didn't personally encounter this, clubs could easily fill up before the game was even actually released. Then again it's an odd game to talk about release schedules and such because it was quite broken on PC at launch and still isn't in a great shape. Actually maybe it was at least partially the issues with the PC version that changed my perception of the game before it was even released and not in a good way. Half a week before release you already know it's going to run like crap and doesn't have good wheel support despite previous promises by MS, that's certainly going to have some effect on your expectations. Shrug.

Uzzy

New Street Fighter V costumes, this time Ryu and Chun-Li are going clubbing.

They're kinda cheesy, but in a good way. At least Chunner's outfit could be worse, they could use this NSFL mod which makes her less thick. Which is honestly the worst thing I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom