• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam: Perils of Summer Sale from June 24 to July 4 (Save up to 95% off)

Shambles

Bought Bioshock and Trine this week for 9$

Out of all the games on Steam I have (Around 9-10) I haven't payed more than 5ish dollars for anything excluding L4D I think was 10$. I buy my full price games retail and treat Steam like the most awesome long term rental service ever.

Ponn

Banned
vocab said:
Tales of Monkey Island is an Episodic TellTale adventure game series that takes place after the 3rd or 4th game. Totally different than the one on 360. Hell I don't even think it is on 360.
Secret of Monkey Island is the original Ron Gilbert Lucas Arts adventure game. This is on the 360.
LeChucks Revenge is the Sequel to Secret of Monkey Island

Okay thanks. So the Special Editons are the remakes of the original games, like on XBLA and this Tales collection is like some recent continuation stories. I have never played any of them and was interested in trying them. So for someone like me the deal they are offering where you get Secret of Monkey Island free when you preorder LeChucks Revenge would be the better deal.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
$20
Borderlands DLC: The Secret Armory of General Knoxx
Borderlands DLC: Mad Moxxi
Borderlands
Borderlands DLC: Dr. Ned

$20
Northern Lights Indies - Summer 2010

$25
Just Cause 2

$10 (I think?)
Kane and Lynch: Dead Men

$10 (right?)
Machinarium

$15 or something?
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City

$15?
Bioshock 2

$2
Clive Barker's Jericho

Motherfucker. At least I'm set for a while. Goddamn.

epmode

Dambrosi said:
If you can get them running, that is. :D
SS1 would work with DOSBox so that isn't too hard.

2 is running the Dark Engine so that isn't hard either. There's a DX10 compatible graphics driver/plugin/whatever that gets it running even in Win 7 64

One more time...

Are there any mystery solving point and click adventure games worth getting on steam? I have monkey island on the 360 and like it, but I'm looking for something more realistic.

jodosutari

Neo Member
Nice sale. I couldn't resist on lot of stuff:

Necrovision, Serious Sam 1+2, Resident Evil 5, Ghostbusters, Commandos Pack, Gothic 2+3, Titan Quest Pack, Flatout: UC, AvP Classic. Gifted few to a friend, too.

I already own many of the other good deals. Out of some 70 titles I got on steam only Orange Box was bought for full price and a few with pre-order discount, all the rest for 10€ or less.

calder

Hmm, I have 86 games, probably paid full price for maybe 10 of them at most. Day 1 stuff like Mass Effect, etc.

And damn you Valve, I bought L4D2. Despite L4D not completely satisfying me I guess for $10 I guess I can frown my way through some more "I can't quite figure out what I don't love about this" co-op action.

Dambrosi

Banned
epmode said:
SS1 would work with DOSBox so that isn't too hard.

2 is running the Dark Engine so that isn't hard either. There's a DX10 compatible graphics driver/plugin/whatever that gets it running even in Win 7 64
Where?! I assume this wouldn't work for DX9, but is still worth having should I upgrade my OS.

Is there a way to use a generic controller for games that only have 360 controller support without replacing the driver?

I don't mind this for most games, but Dark Void Zero is a 2D NES-style game and the 360 controller is poop for that stuff.

Really bummed that I missed out on Deus Ex sale and Tropico 3. I guess I can do $10 for Tropico...

Keep in mind this is my first Steam sale and I just installed Win 7 on my iMac:

Overall I got:
Audiosurf
Beat Hazard
Been There, Dan That
Cryostasis
Crysis
Crysis Warhead
Darwinia
Day of Defeat Source
Defcon
Freedom Force Pack
Ghost Master
GTA: SA
Half Life Source
Half Life
Killing Floor
Multiwinia
NecroVisioN
Civ IV
The Gentleman, Please!
Trackmania Nations Forever
Uplink
The Void
World of Goo

Did I miss anything?

epmode

Dambrosi said:
Where?! I assume this wouldn't work for DX9, but is still worth having should I upgrade my OS.
Now that I just looked into it again, I might be confusing the DX10 part with a similar patch for Deus Ex.

In any case, this should also work in XP. Look here: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121449

It gets Thief 1 running in 32 bit color (the original release was limited to 16). Also, it fixes the game so that it doesn't switch screen resolutions whenever you open the main menu which is really nice for LCD monitors.

There's even a separate widescreen patch: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121240

NIN90

BrassMonkey1010 said:
One more time...

Are there any mystery solving point and click adventure games worth getting on steam? I have monkey island on the 360 and like it, but I'm looking for something more realistic.

Broken Sword 2
Secret Files Tunguska

Schmattakopf said:
No, your best legal bet is eBay, unfortunately.

Boo-urns. I was hoping GoG would save the day. Tron 2.0 is another game I want, but again it's another title I have to track down a physical copy of, which just seems silly in this day and age.

Just played like 1+ hour of killing floor before our power went out for a moment, all I can say is that the game is epic wicked and you need to all buy it for £3.79 before the sale ends, GO!

might even pick up the dlc to support the devs, the gun play is so solid that if you miss a target you know it's your fault.

It's a lot like zombie mod without player zombies but cpu ones instead.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Hinomura said:
It's not all the time but 22 times in 4.2 hours. Jokes apart, it froze again.

The lol-part is it froze once my character said "boom!" after a critical hit to a spitting beast.
It's a pity, I'm enjoyng this game (I love the setting)...

Trying again (wiping/reinstalling drivers etc).

I had that problem when I was using my old 8800, it was nowhere near as bad as that though. Maybe 4 or 5 times in 40 hours of gameplay. Then I got a 5850 and it never happened again.

Blizzard

Banned
Wow, I spent more on Steam this year than I thought apparently. =( Also, I have proof that Steam is evil! READ ON FOR DETAILS >_>

For this sale:
King's Bounty: Gold Edition $9.99
Borderlands DLC: The Secret Armory of General Knoxx $3.39
Winterbottom $2.49
Thief: Deadly Shadows $2.99
Winterbottom (gift) $2.49
Shatter $2.50
Shatter (gift) $2.50
FlatOut Ultimate Carnage (NA) $7.00
Red Orchestra $4.50
Shatter (gift) $4.50
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising $4.50
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising (gift) $4.50
Gothic Bundle $4.99
Introversion Complete Pack - Summer 2010 $5.00
Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West $5.10
Puzzle Kingdoms $1.00
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition $6.79
Bioshock 2 $14.99

Sale total: $89.22
Average per game: $4.96

$5 per game isn't too bad, and that's 14 new games for my account.

The total for the year is $226.50 though, and that averages out per game to $6.66 per game, THE MARK OF THE BEAST D:

kamspy

Stallion Free said:
I wouldn't go recommend that people pirate the games.

The games aren't on any download service :(

Are they still in print?

--------

Also, I totally missed the Shatter deal. If anyone has an extra to gift, I'll gift something nice back.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Scalpel Knight said:
Anyone else trying to justify buying a shitload of games by saying to yourself that "it'll come in handy for a rainy day?"
Yes, although as my Steam account now says I own 180 games I may have took that idea a bit too far...

Red

Now at 117 total games on Steam. There's no end to Valve's want of my money.

Introversion Complete Pack - Summer 2010
Sega Classics: Ecco the Dolphin
Cryostasis
NecroVisioN
Trine
Puzzle Kingdoms
Beat Hazard
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold
Thief: Deadly Shadows
Grand Theft Auto IV (US/AU)
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City
Section 8
FlatOut Ultimate Carnage (NA)
Lost Planet Colonies
Deus Ex: Invisible War

I have all the games. All of them.

Ros8105

Bought:

Machinarium
Monkey Island Complete Pack
World of Goo
Devil May Cry 4
Borderlands (+3 DLC)
Thief: Deadly Shadows
Tropico 3
Shatter
The Void
Osmos
Zeno Clash
Cryostasis
Overlord Complete Pack
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition

Stop It said:
Scalpel Knight said:
Anyone else trying to justify buying a shitload of games by saying to yourself that "it'll come in handy for a rainy day?"
Yes, although as my Steam account now says I own 180 games I may have took that idea a bit too far...
I used to say, "Well there's always that summer game drought..." but with Steam that's just not even true because there's a sale every week.

Didn't get too much this time.
Beat Hazard = $2.50
Borderlands = $10
Mass Effect 2 = $24
Bioshock 2 = $15

A shit load of gaming value for less than the price of a new game. I love Steam.:D

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
UrbanRats said:
So, i've read a few write up on KF and seems more about defending the position, rather than going from A to B.
sounds fun, but i'm not sure if i'll get it, i have a few indie games left to buy and not that much budget left :p.
It's all about just surviving. You could stay in point A forever, or move from A to B to Y to 9 if you want to, as long as you live.

Stop It said:
One day you might be snowed in by 20 feet of snow or zombies roaming the streets, least you will have plenty to do!

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
BrassMonkey1010 said:
One more time...

You'd have FAR better luck just buying some off of GOG.com for full price.

Since their full prices are like what you'd pay for a sale on steam. :D

The Syberia games are classics and I highly recommend them.

edit: Oh cool, top of page.

:-D

just bought Trine for 3 pounds , could not say no at that price :D

heard a lot of good things about it, so hopefully it wont disappoint.

hell i don't think it could at that price :lol

JiliK

RedSwirl said:
Tell the truth: out of all the games you own through Steam, how many did you actually pay full price for?

I paid full price for nine games, out of 83.

3/89 - Portal, The Secret of Monkey Island SE and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

They were all on sale within six months for next to nothing. :lol

Oh well, time to tally up the sale damage:

Aliens versus Predator Classic 2000 €0.75
Shatter €2.00
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom €1.99
Beat Hazard €1.74
Max and the Magic Marker €3.75
Puzzle Kingdoms €0.95
Super Laser Racer €1.00
Chrome + Chrome: Specforce €1.49
---------------------------------------------------------
Total: €13.67

An uncharacteristic show of restraint for once. :lol

I guess it helped that I was still sitting on a massive backlog from the Holiday sale (starting off with Morrowind wasn't the best move in retrospect).

epmode

BobsRevenge said:
The Syberia games are classics and I highly recommend them.
I'm playing through Syberia for the first time. I like it for sure but it kills me that there's no way to just LOOK at anything. Almost everything is done visually, no text/audio descriptions.

This works for a silent game like Machinarium but it bugs me when it happens in a game with an otherwise talkative character.

BrassMonkey1010 said:
One more time...

There are tons of decent point and click adventure games on steam. Ankh 2 and 3, as well as Mata Hari as well as the Sherlock Holmes games. Also, Indigo Prophecy, and the Lucasarts 4 pack is a must if you don't have it.

Purkake4

Banned
epmode said:
I'm playing through Syberia for the first time. I like it for sure but it kills me that there's no way to just LOOK at anything. Almost everything is done visually, no text/audio descriptions.

This works for a silent game like Machinarium but it bugs me when it happens in a game with an otherwise talkative character.
I hope you've played The Longest Journey, it has a ton of looking at stuff with funny comments.

graywolf323

Stop It said:

oh trust me you are nowhere near too far yet :lol I however probably am and LovingSteam definitely is

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
I got away very lightly, got this lot for a tenner:

Beat Hazard
Beat Hazard DLC: iTunes unlock
Borderlands DLC: The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned
Borderlands DLC: Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot
Cryostasis
Shatter (gifted but was definitely going to buy)

Thief DS is in my cart, debating if anything else will join it.

vocab

Stallion Free said:
I wouldn't go recommend that people pirate the games.

The games aren't on any download service :(

System Shock 1 is pretty much abadonware at this point. There's a damn portable version to carry on a flash drive :lol

System Shock 2 will probably never get rereleased so people should get it however they can.

Dambrosi said:
If you can get them running, that is. :D

It's easy as hell. I haven't tried on a quad core W7 64 bit machine, but I got it working on xp fine. There's SS2 config/patch tool that has almost every fix.

Anyway, I bought PainKiller:Black Edition even though I could of lived without it.

Recon

Banned
just bought

*KB:The Legend
*GTA 4
*Jericho
*Puzzle Kingdoms
*Trine
*Lead and Gold
*Thief Deadly Shadows

this sale was awesome!!!!!

And, if anyone wants to get in on a borderlands 4pack, i have two slots open

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
graywolf323 said:
oh trust me you are nowhere near too far yet :lol I however probably am and LovingSteam definitely is
Well, that's just on Steam, including retail, and other DD outlets I am approaching 350 PC games in my collection. Yes, I know others have more but for me, that's more than a bit scary.

Edit: Your profile says you have 495 games? HOLY SHIT.
Diablohead said:
One day you might be snowed in by 20 feet of snow or zombies roaming the streets, least you will have plenty to do!
Indeed, the world might end but I'll still have my backlog to get through.

Top Bottom