• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. Works like a charm :)

t1411147800z4.png

Thanks. Works like a charm :)

t1411147800z4.png

That's 10:30 though. There's something about PDT in this app that sets it an hour forward. So when you generate you need to set the hour earlier. In this case set it to 8:30 and it will show 9:30. Not sure why's that. Some people said this is a PST/PDT thing. Fuck timezones lol

aku:jiki

It doesn't really matter if you sympathise with them or not. You can take the attitude that they are being greedy, but that doesn't help you buy a game that isn't actually released on PC.
Considering your line of reasoning pretty much only applies to ridiculous "AAA" games with astronomical budgets, I don't think I could care less if they don't hit PC. Bobby can choke on Advance Warfare.

My personal opinion aside, at what cost and to what end should we kneel before these greedy bastards? What is being allowed to play a stupid videogame actually worth? Should we start accepting any price point and any lies or misdirections so long as our corporate overlords bless us with their products? We can simply do other things, getting to experience the 275th Assassin's Creed game is not worth agreeing to a daily corporate fucking.

The Kickstartered CLANG game now has been officially canceled. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/260688528/clang/posts/989911
I was going to post that. Stephenson showing Schafer how to handle a failed Kickstarter.

Smash88

Banned
At least they are offering refunds, which is a nice gesture, despite this leaving a sour taste in the mouths of backers.

Spacebase is a whole different issue, they promised features, and then pulled out and got rid of their tracks. Which is underhanded and sneaky. They promised one thing and cut it out to push it out the door. Whereas, CLANG promised a full product, but never even got to the stage of a legitimate alpha build.

Tu101uk

All that just so someone's voice is heard in another country. I know I've greatly simplified it, but think about sentence and you'll realize how ridiculous the situation itself is.
Maaya Sakamoto voices Lightning, right? That's almost always a red flag for licensing issues and related stuff, from what I understand her agency is very strict with where she lends her voice to (she's not only a popular voice actress but also a successful singer, yet she very rarely sings opening and ending themes in the stuff she stars in). I believe agencies command a lot of power over in Japan in regards to voice acting, and the laws in regards to using someone's voice are quite strict too? (Need a Japanese cultural expert to confirm)

Shame really. I haven't played FF13 yet and I wanted to hear one of my favourite voice actresses in this role. Looks like I'll have to make do with the English VAs...

aku:jiki

...hasn't been a good few days for the crowdfunding movement.
What? No. That's not what's going on there. I think you need to read the post. Stephenson is taking full responsibility, apologizing and giving out refunds. He's doing the exact opposite of what pisses people off about failed Kickstarters.

If anyone's sour that the project failed, despite Stephenson doing the right thing, they don't understand what Kickstarter is actually for. It is not a shop where you pre-order games! Stop treating it that way! Rawr!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Heavy Bullets is quite interesting. I'm enjoying the feedback loop of having to go pick my bullets back up in the middle of a fight. Tied with the quake movement speed and the reflexes you're gonna need in rooms that are packed like sardine cans with enemies, I can really see the pressure ramping up in the later stages. I only got up to stage 3 before I died my final death for the night. Which reminds me, the life insurance and Last Will options allow you to move money and items over after you've died to your next run, so you don't always have to lose everything upon a death.

Kinda liking it so far but I haven't spend nearly enough time with it to say yay or nay. Time to make some of that $6.20 by booting up Idlemaster again. Apparently I've gained 19 games with cards since I emptied out my badge list in August.

I wonder if people will start boycotting Stephenson books now, like they are doing in the Spacebase-9 thread.

If they didn't boycott him over Anathem's madness, I think he'll be fine.
I liked that book

Maaya Sakamoto voices Lightning, right? That's almost always a red flag for licensing issues and related stuff, from what I understand her agency is very strict with where she lends her voice to (she's not only a popular voice actress but also a successful singer, yet she very rarely sings opening and ending themes in the stuff she stars in). I believe agencies command a lot of power over in Japan in regards to voice acting, and the laws in regards to using someone's voice are quite strict too? (Need a Japanese cultural expert to confirm)

Shame really. I haven't played FF13 yet and I wanted to hear one of my favourite voice actresses in this role. Looks like I'll have to make do with the English VAs...

Im not an expert, but was involved in buying some rights for anime and the japanese contracts are the most fucked up contracts you can read. They state that, simply said, they can take the rights off you whenever they want without any reasons. "Take it or leave it."

The licencing and copyright model in Japan is just really fucked up, so I assume its the same with contracts with VA agencies.

Whereas everywhere else in the world buying rights is not a big problem and both sides will be on good terms, while buying rights from a bigger japanese company they will dictate almost every little thing about your rights (I remember we had to send the cover of the DVDs with post to Japan for them to check if its good and if they dont like it, we had to do it again. You cant plan like this at all).

Saty

I'll say it again, looking at it from a whole genre view, Kickstarter failed to deliver on anything other than the RPG genre.

SparkTR

Valve needs to do more to space out releases. Wasteland 2, Endless Legend, FFXIII/FFIV, Age of Wonders III expansion and Middle Earth are way too close together.

SparkTR

I'll say it again, looking at it from a whole genre view, Kickstarter failed to deliver on anything other than the RPG genre.

It make Book of Unwritten Tales 2 and the new Tex Murphy a thing, so it's been invaluable for Adventure games as well.

Deques

Valve needs to do more to space out releases. Wasteland 2, Endless Legend, FFXIII/FFIV, Age of Wonders III expansion and Middle Earth are way too close together.

Along with other great games? I don't think it's possible...

Just bought a GTX 980 to replace my GTX 680. Pretty hype about the situation despite it costing me £450.

What's different between GTX 970 and GTX 980. The price difference in the Swedish shop is around 2000 SEK which is ~ $280

Saty

It make Book of Unwritten Tales 2 and the new Tex Murphy a thing, so it's been invaluable for Adventure games as well.
BUT2 isn't out and i didn't get the impression the new Tex Murphy was positively received, at least not in reviews. Which goes back again to the issue of having data on Backers' thoughts on the final product or some satisfaction rate.

My personal opinion aside, at what cost and to what end should we kneel before these greedy bastards? What is being allowed to play a stupid videogame actually worth? Should we start accepting any price point and any lies or misdirections so long as our corporate overlords bless us with their products? We can simply do other things, getting to experience the 275th Assassin's Creed game is not worth agreeing to a daily corporate fucking.

I think you are missing the point of the argument, but thankyou at least for replying.

Yes you are free to simply do other things ... this only really applies to games that people want. Obviously if you don't buy it in the first place, you are not going through a Russian key seller. If you are going through a Russian key seller, obviously you do in fact want the game and probably want other similar games to be released after that.

So yeah, the end is "wanting to play something". Not accepting pricing is one thing, but still buying and wanting the games is quite another.

Hm, I didn't know that. So DR1+2+OTR are well replayable from the start without becoming a grind? I already thought about how frustrating it would be to start from scratch after say 5 hours just because you misjudged the time. But if the game is "meant" to be played like that... not bad actually.
Nope, the majority of 1 and 2 aren't grind-heavy. The endgame can be considered an exception to this rule, but they're fortunately only short portions all-in-all and only occur if you're aiming for the true conclusion of the storyline.

Is the DR3 DLC really that bad?

I can at least say the super turbo DLC is good
Unlikeable main characters who suddenly know how to be just as "good at fixing stuff!" as Nick, more irrelevant collectibles for the sake of it and flat mission design. No ability to dress up.

Choice example: at the beginning in episode 3 I stumble upon one of the many special bottles of whiskey. Character I meet demands such a bottle, but the one I own is conveniently ignored by the game and I have to travel 800 metres total for something I already possess. Nonsensical events transpire, and eventually I have to go collect bikes for someone who's in a shop that used to have said bikes. Of course, these (unlike almost everything else) are suddenly not pinpointed on the mini-map or your HUD, so you're more or less looking around at random. You then wait 5+ minutes from him to construct something you could whip out at the snap of a finger - either assembling it yourself or spawning it from the garage - only for you to go back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth (no exaggeration) to retrieve another bike that's not even required to fight the final boss with. You only cover ground with it for a couple of minutes. But heaven forbid if it gets destroyed amidst your travels: sudden game over like what happened to this poor soul, and it's worse on Nightmare Mode since you can't save unless you find one of the public restrooms... which in turn aren't highlighted on the mini-map! Needle-in-a-haystack gameplay, huzzah!

The other episodes are just as poorly conceived.

kudoboi

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What's different between GTX 970 and GTX 980. The price difference in the Swedish shop is around 2000 SEK which is ~ $280

The 980 is a significantly worse value proposition. Compared to the 970 it's 15~20% faster, depending on the scenario, but 67% more expensive. Really, the 980 should be $449 at most, not $549, but alas we don't live in an ideal world.

Tizoc

BUT2 isn't out and i didn't get the impression the new Tex Murphy was positively received, at least not in reviews. Which goes back again to the issue of having data on Backers' thoughts on the final product or some satisfaction rate.

You might want to enquire from Tex Murphy or Adventure game fans on the new Tex Murphy game. I personally liked it.

Deques

The 980 is a significantly worse value proposition. Compared to the 970 it's 15~20% faster, depending on the scenario, but 67% more expensive. Really, the 980 should be $449 at most, not $549, but alas we don't live in an ideal world.

http://techreport.com/review/27067/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-and-970-graphics-cards-reviewed/2

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/74853-evga-geforce-gtx-970-ftw/

These will give you the run down of the differences. The 970 is a total beast though and you can't go wrong buying it if your budget is a bit lower.

I was reading a review in a Swedish tech site.
Seems like GTX 970 would be the best choice for economical reasons. GTX 980 doesn't look much better for that price difference.

But I think I can still use my GTX 670 for a few more years...

Vuze

Torn between getting a single 980 or a single 970 now and a second one + new PSU for (VR) SLI later. :c

#firstestworldproblems

Knurek

Oh wow, the two Groupees bundles that were up for preoder are pretty terrible (got one new game out of them)...
Last time I'm doing that. :\

//EDIT

Straight question - why are people even considering SLI in this day and age? Isn't buying a single more powerful card always more hassle free and cheaper solution?

I was reading a review in a Swedish tech site.
Seems like GTX 970 would be the best choice for economical reasons. GTX 980 doesn't look much better for that price difference.

But I think I can still use my GTX 670 for a few more years...

I think 970 is definitely the way to go. I just said fuck it and wanted to blow some cash. But you can also still get some more years out of your 670 with a few settings tweaks. Choice is a wonderful thing :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Straight question - why are people even considering SLI in this day and age? Isn't buying a single more powerful card always more hassle free and cheaper solution?

SLI is great these days. Microstutter is practically a thing of the past and games that don't have near 1:1 multi-GPU scaling, at least for two GPUs, are the rare exception. When I moved to two 670s, the only single-card, high-end alternative Team Green was offering at the time was the GTX 690 (i.e. 2x 680 GPUs), which launched at $999 compared to to $399 for the 670.

Don't know if this was mentioned already, but Metro Last Light - Complete Edition has been removed from the Steam store (in favor of the Redux version). You can still pick up copies for 2 keys on Outpost, so there's that at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom