• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tylerf

Man Prison Architect gets rough sometimes. They just keep coming and you gotta keep evolving and expanding or you'll get overrun. Really enjoying it so far. First game of this type I've played since the original Rollercoaster Tycoon.

How long till the graphics card manufacturers refresh their midrange laptop cards?

I am planning to buy one in the next month or so because my current work laptop is already ancient / a relic (Core 2 duo + Geforce 9300m yo). The supposed replacement killed itself last May. Which made look longingly at my steam lib and unable to play them.

Dr Dogg

I was reading a review in a Swedish tech site.
Seems like GTX 970 would be the best choice for economical reasons. GTX 980 doesn't look much better for that price difference.

But I think I can still use my GTX 670 for a few more years...

Depends on your own setup, what level of performance you're after and more importantly what you're upgrading from. Personally after just having a play around with the latest Nvidia drivers in both Black Flag and Watch Dogs I've got a nice 10-15% boost that a single 780 will stay in and around 60fps with everything bar higher AA implementation methods cranked up at 1920x1080 that anyone upgrading on those cards or higher only wanting that resolution are crazy. A 670 to 970 even seems crazy to me as give it a year and the 1070 will be out more than likely at I'd say in and around the same price, offer better performance, a proper and mature die, and might have even better power consumption and thermals. Even more so replacing 2 670s with 2 970s unless downsampling (which is in the driver now at various increments upto 4x) or higher native resolution or refresh rate was your goal. One 970 is good for 1920x1080 at 60fps in the vast majority of benchmarks from reputable sites I've looked at.

Moral of the story as always is when there's a game your want to play but one of your components doesn't quite meet up to the the requirements of the performance you're after then an upgrade might be worthwhile. Otherwise the way performance increases have been going over the last 5 or so years with GPUs it seems hard to justify upgrading every 2 years now. But hey people like new shiny toys, I know I do but I try to get some value and more importantly lifespan out of my purchases.

Zeknurn

Man Prison Architect gets rough sometimes. They just keep coming and you gotta keep evolving and expanding or you'll get overrun. Really enjoying it so far. First game of this type I've played since the original Rollercoaster Tycoon.

You know you can turn off intake right?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of AHA-Lambda, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (AHA-Lambda, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Wasteland 2 -- MB-E87CF8DB85BE047D - Taken by Scipius. 126 entrants total.

t1411163367z1.png

The-Bean

So great being able to disable DLC now, saves a lot of time and space not having to download stuff I won't use. Now that the next-gen consoles are out and games are getting significantly larger I'd love to this expanded into being able to select whole portions of a game.

Being able to select only multiplayer or singleplayer, for example. Could end up saving a lot of HDD space and bandwidth. Also things like UHD textures, higher quality cinematics, higher quality sound and so on.

derExperte

dmix90

Moral of the story as always is when there's a game your want to play but one of your components doesn't quite meet up to the the requirements of the performance you're after then an upgrade might be worthwhile. Otherwise the way performance increases have been going over the last 5 or so years with GPUs it seems hard to justify upgrading every 2 years now. But hey people like new shiny toys, I know I do but I try to get some value and more importantly lifespan out of my purchases.
This. I think i will milk my gtx680 until assassins creed unity/witcher 3 comes out, and if i will be able to run them at stable 30fps in 1080p upgrade will be delayed even further. Upgraded to 680 from 470 only because it died during witcher 2 playthrough :/

Chariot

What is this shit. The longer I look at FFXIII the more I want to buy it. But I don't actually want it, I saw Spoony's Videos, I know the whole plot, I know its shit. WHY DO IT WANT IT FUCKING MARKETING

fantomena

First one who either send me a PM through Steam OR NeoGAF receives a gift copy of Heavy Bullets. If I don't answer you, your'e too late, sorry.

- Taken by derExperte -

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Hearing that Final Fantasy XIII is linear makes me want to try it. I love Theatrhythm, so it would be nice to finally get into the main franchise. Never liked any of the other FF I tried.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
What is this shit. The longer I look at FFXIII the more I want to buy it. But I don't actually want it, I saw Spoony's Videos, I know the whole plot, I know its shit. WHY DO IT WANT IT FUCKING MARKETING
You want it because the soundtrack's awesome.
And it looks really pretty.

Tizoc

It's a social thing.
You're close with your fellow SteamGAFfers and want to have games that they have so you want FF13.

Yeah it's the weakest FF, but even for $10 you can experience the combat system which is rather good despite some of its flaws.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I "hated" the combat system. There where some good ideas behind it, but it got really tedious and way too flashy for my tastes.

Never finished the game, last time I played I stopped around Chapter 9. The steam version's pricing is pretty nice, though. Might just give it another shot. Third time's the charm, heh.

Hearing that Final Fantasy XIII is linear makes me want to try it. I love Theatrhythm, so it would be nice to finally get into the main franchise. Never liked any of the other FF I tried.

FFX was also linear, perhaps more so than 13.

The linearity complaints in 13 are not the game's biggest problem. This comes down to the poor story, annoying characters and a battle system which takes way too long to become interesting. There is also a distinct lack of anything else to "do".

To some extent 13-2 fixes these problems, albeit without rising to any great heights so I'd think that would be the game that you might have a better chance of liking. Technically playing 13 should help you understand and enjoy the story more, but it really isn't going to help much in either regard.

anastef

My pc boot on "reset" button,he don't like power on.But that only happened after installing graphic drivers.Before that no problem..

Tizoc

I "hated" the combat system. There where some good ideas behind it, but it got really tedious and way too flashy for my tastes.

Never finished the game, last time I played I stopped around Chapter 9. The steam version's pricing is pretty nice, though. Might just give it another shot. Third time's the charm, heh.

Pro-tip: Saboteur is the strongest of the Roles in the game IMO. Abuse it and enemies and bosses get wasted real fast.
Likewise with Synergists, but from when I last played, From Ch. 9/10 onwards I was mainly Fang+Light+Vanille cuz Sabs made enemies get killed fast.

The linearity complaints in 13 are not the game's biggest problem. This comes down to the poor story, annoying characters and a battle system which takes way too long to become interesting. There is also a distinct lack of anything else to "do".

When you finally arrive at the more open area you get all those sidequests and hunting quests.

But I guess most people wont even play it till then.

Jawmuncher

Just because you like spoonys video doesn't mean you won't like it. I love the thing which he hated but I still love watching his review on it .

Phinor

A bit of price gouging going on in Finland with these new 970/980 cards. Basic models of 970 cards seem to go for 390 euros which is a bit over $500.

So, umm, I'll wait.

kudoboi

they didn't actually do much of a marketing for the PC version xD.

im personally waiting to fix my PC before buying it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
People are complaining about 500$ for GTX 980? It costs between 750-850$ in Norway.

$549, not $500. It's 67% more expensive than the 970 but only ~20% faster in the most ideal of scenarios, so naturally the $220 price difference doesn't sit well with some.

milena87

The GTX 970 looks really interesting. I'll try to keep my 670 until The Witcher 3, though. Hopefully I'll be able to run AC:Unity decently enough.

Maybe, if the italian/german price for the Asus 970 STRIX surprises me, I might consider an early Christmas gift.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You know if you die the hair of Jase's current avatar in pink, she'll look like Lightning in FF13.

I'm all for more people sporting Saoirse avatars. ;)

You won't be saving that much by importing from USA, at least if customs snag you package. You'll probably have to pay a 24% VAT + postage.

Ah, that's right, somebody in one of the NV threads said something similar. I suppose if you have world-class consumer protection laws there has to be a trade-off somewhere. :p

derExperte

You know if you die the hair of Jase's current avatar in pink, she'll look like Lightning in FF13.

When I first started to read that sentence I thought you were talking about dying (like dead) and Jesus' hair. Was a bit confused to say the least. Reading is hard.

Dr Dogg

This. I think i will milk my gtx680 until assassins creed unity/witcher 3 comes out, and if i will be able to run them at stable 30fps in 1080p upgrade will be delayed even further. Upgraded to 680 from 470 only because it died during witcher 2 playthrough :/

I am a little tempted by the new cards, but I should wait another year to update for the more performance jump feels.

Only thing that has me interested in the 900 series is driver based downsampling in any game via Dynamic Super Resolution and that ShadowPlay now captures 3840x2160. But then looking at a quote in the news thread this seems like a temporary marketing ploy for the 900 series and will be available for other cards at a later date.

I'm hoping that the later Maxwell refresh might finally be the time I can ditch SLI for good. While it's better than ever there still come times when it's a right royal pain in the arse. What with unsupported games, rendering errors and certain finicky engines causing either negative scaling or increased frame pacing issues that you just don't get with a single card setup.

Chariot

SteamGAF as unhelpful as ever when you don't want to buy something >:I
But I'll stay strong. Gonna wait for FFXV.

they didn't actually do much of a marketing for the PC version xD.

im personally waiting to fix my PC before buying it.
They don't have to specifically market the PC version, to make me desire the game. ;)

Arthea

I can't afford any upgrade, I buy entirely too many games and I blame Jasec for that, as usual.
I got to know last week, that I spend around 1/3rd of my income on games, I need serious help (><)
It's our secret, OK?

SteamGAF as unhelpful as ever when you don't want to buy something >:I
But I'll stay strong. Gonna wait for FFXV.

They don't have to specifically market the PC version, to make me desire the game. ;)

oh c'mon, just buy it, my FF13 needs more friends (><)
on second thought, better buy FF4

I literally burst out laughing at the FFXV car. Omg so awfully anachronistic given the fantasy setting.

I must be only one that liked it... also I like motorcycle fragment in FF7, and driving in FF8. Am I weird?

Tizoc

I can't afford any upgrade, I buy entirely too many games and I blame Jasec for that, as usual.
I got to know last week, that I spend around 1/3rd of my income on games, I need serious help (><)
It's our secret, OK?

oh c'mon, just buy it, my FF13 needs more friends (><)
on second thought, better buy FF4

That's what I'm gonna do. I'll get FF4 from Steam and grab FF13 from traders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom