• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2017 - Summer Ys Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWiLL

Banned
can you guys help a first time PC gamer?

I have a ryzen 5 1600 OC to 3600hz, 16gb RAM, GTX 1080. I have a monitor 1440p with Gsync, 165 hz.

I am trying to maximize performance on gaming.

is this the best settings? I need some help, first time user here.

thank you friends

*You may not have all the settings I have (listed below) and that is OK
Ambient Occlusion: Off
Anisotropic filtering: Application-controlled
Antialiasing - FXAA: Off
Antialiasing - Gamma correction: On
Antialiasing - Mode: Application-controlled
Antialiasing - Setting: Application-controlled
Antialiasing - Transparency: Off
CUDA - GPUs: All (Select all available options)
DSR - Factors: Off
DSR - Smoothness: Off
Maximum pre-rendered frames: 1
Multi-Frame Sampled AA (MFAA): Off
Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration: Compatibility performance mode
Power management mode: Prefer maximum perforamnce
Preferred refresh rate: Highest available
Shader Cache: On
Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization: On
Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: Allow
Texture filtering - Quality: High perforamnce
Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization: On
Threaded optimization: Auto
Triple buffering: Off
Vertical Sync: Off
Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames: 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vni-4KLMFPs&t=40s

The only thing to change is to turn Vertical Sync on in the Nvidia CP and make sure it's off in all your games (recommendation from multiple G Sync guides online).

That being said, pushing 144 or 165hz in most games that aren't OW/CS/etc might be tough even with your 1080, since the gaming performance on a 3.6 Ryzen 5 isn't quite 6700/7700k levels (still a great chip though of course). All this means is that VSync won't be active most of the time and you'll be reaping the sweet, sweet benefits of GSync, so not to worry.

I have the same monitor or similar (Predator/ROG) and I've found the highest AA solutions definitely aren't necessary and can help you push higher frames. I'd also try running medium/low shadows in a lot of games as the visual impact is typically quite minimal, but the perfomance gains are significant.

I'd also recommend you don't use the 165hz OC option on the monitor and stay at 144hz. The way these monitors push 165hz actually causes a bit of input lag and the extra 19hz doesn't really have a visual benefit anyway.

Humble Very Positive 2 coming soon (Tuesday probably?)

m2ntptL.png

I'd PWYW for RIVE, at least. Already own Oxenfree and SoM, don't really care about the others.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Chairmanchuck:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Chairmanchuck, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Forgotten Not Lost -- MB-139EBC49BE4B1498 - Taken by TheGreenArrow

Wok

Here is a spare which I have just won.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Wok, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.

Krog Wars -- MB-4A1CA02A3569C0CC - Taken by MaxiLive

Hektor

I am already conflicted. Do i want to make a selfmade character, or play origin characters? The game's popup told me only those deliver the "entire experience"

The only thing to change is to turn Vertical Sync on in the Nvidia CP and make sure it's off in all your games (recommendation from multiple G Sync guides online).

That being said, pushing 144 or 165hz in most games that aren't OW/CS/etc might be tough even with your 1080, since the gaming performance on a 3.6 Ryzen 5 isn't quite 6700/7700k levels (still a great chip though of course). All this means is that VSync won't be active most of the time and you'll be reaping the sweet, sweet benefits of GSync, so not to worry.

I have the same monitor or similar (Predator/ROG) and I've found the highest AA solutions definitely aren't necessary and can help you push higher frames. I'd also try running medium/low shadows in a lot of games as the visual impact is typically quite minimal, but the perfomance gains are significant.

I'd also recommend you don't use the 165hz OC option on the monitor and stay at 144hz. The way these monitors push 165hz actually causes a bit of input lag and the extra 19hz doesn't really have a visual benefit anyway.

thanks. so the settings I suggested do you agree , but just keep Vsync on?

Leatherface dlc is out for Dead by Daylight. Was that ever announced?

After this past weekend's Fall Masquerade event, while the goal wasn't cleared by the community, they did put up a teaser. It was about different masks and what their material was made of. My first instinct was Leatherface because "skin" was the missing material they didn't talk about but having 2 chainsaw wielding maniacs I thought was going to be too repetitive. I figured it was going to be another serial killer with a mask made out of human skin.

Guess I was right the first time.

After this past weekend's Fall Masquerade event, while the goal wasn't cleared by the community, they did put up a teaser. It was about different masks and what their material was made of. My first instinct was Leatherface because "skin" was the missing material they didn't talk about but having 2 chainsaw wielding maniacs I thought was going to be too repetitive. I figured it was going to be another serial killer with a mask made out of human skin.

Guess I was right the first time.

Didn't even know about that. That's pretty cool.

I hope they can find a way to sneak Freddy, Chucky, and Pennywise in here. Would be nuts.

Jadax

How big is the Shadow of Mordor download? Asking because the storepage is sometimes wrong, and I don't want to buy the game off a gaffer from the BST thread and not be able to play it.

Been wanting to try it for months.

How big is the Shadow of Mordor download? Asking because the storepage is sometimes wrong, and I don't want to buy the game off a gaffer from the BST thread and not be able to play it.

30 GB or something, IIRC. It's way bigger than you'd expect.

data

For me it won't even let me download it since it says it needs 90GB (though I have all DLC)

When I downloaded it with all the DLC the other day it was around 50 GB, give or take a few GB.

Bundlestars Bundle - 50 games for 1$

It's actually pretty good for what it is.

Cant load the page on mobile, JavaScript overload, site crashes or gets killed. (Not that I need those super cheap bundles anyway)

yuraya

Almost done downloading DOS2.

Feels so good to go into the game completely blind. Well not completely but like 99.9% since I read about a few minor things in the past year. Didn't do any of the early access stuff nor did I follow the game too much for avoiding spoilers. So hard to do in this day n age but man am I proud of myself for pulling that off. Especially with a game that I was looking forward to so much.

Arthos

Hey!

Is there a PC thread here in GAF? Debating between buying the 1060 vs 1070. PUBG made me realize just how much of an upgrade I'm in need of!

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

uO6NMdV.png

Mystery Game #1 -- MB-B6F888231B6D7F66 - Taken by thenexus6

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
sales are overrated. Buying games day 1 is the new hotness.

...Im not even joking. I've come to apreciate being part of the zeitgeist a lot this year, from RE7 to Zelda, Horizon, Persona, Hollow Knight, playing it with the rest of the people, discussing it, sharing info. Meanwhile, the games I get on sale get tosed in the backlog probably to never be played.

Lain

Nah, played this a couple months ago and there is nothing too bad in it. It is actually a pretty decent horror mystery visual novel, kinda like a tamer Higurashi, though the story is kinda so-so.

You're playing right into Wok's hand. Wok is a naughty cat who just loves to use the mosaic censor on images.

Wok

In the uncensored one it's just showing what looks like an 11 year old girl's panties.

NBD

This is the issue. She could be naked, who cares? But why does she have to look like a child? This is why I wrote Banned Game #3.

Also, the real image (NSFW?) is using the "anime perspective", which is a special oblique perspective which allows to see the back part of a waifu while looking at her front. It is lewd in essence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom