• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2017 - Summer Ys Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow WWE game finally day and day with consoles :-O
header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/664430/WWE_2K18/
Release Date: 17 Oct, 2017

Does this one simulate teeth-breaking?

Hektor

Apropos of nothing, I noticed an odd "you're doing it too well!" moment yesterday in the opening map of Fort Joy.

The entire map is just so dense with colors and architecture that I found myself getting a tad overwhelmed with the visual complexity. Kinda like staring into one of those
Artifex Mundi Hidden Object games or something. There's just so much going on in every part of the map that I kinda lose my bearings from time to time.

It was really weird. Not a bad thing or anything, just...strange.

Wonder if the overhead cam has anything to do with it.

I actually felt the same occasionally, especially in the parts with many NPC's or in combat with a lot of magic effects. The highlight options someweere in the gameplay menu helped with that.

Oh... er... I never thought to actually check the times. Whoops.

But, I don't think they've said; presumably yes. (Keep in mind this only matters for the Mortal Empires campaign which will be released some weeks post-launch. And further, the initial release of Mortal Empires won't include Norsca DLC content.)

Edit: It's only 25GB for me. Weird.

The Mortal Empires campaign is what made the concept so exciting in the first place tho, otherwise you'd just have three disjointed games.

Given the amount of games releasing this and next month i won't be playing it at launch anways, so i don't mind waiting despite preordering months ago.

My biggest worry is the waiting times in the big campaign, i remember they already tried something similar in Empire and the times were horrible because of how big the map was

prudislav

The Mortal Empires campaign is what made the concept so exciting in the first place tho, otherwise you'd just have three disjointed games.
Mortal Empires is just Old World + New World ..... the "Combined Map" campaign in 3rd will have different name :p

I actually felt the same occasionally, especially in the parts with many NPC's or in combat with a lot of magic effects. The highlight options someweere in the gameplay menu helped with that.

Given the amount of games releasing this and next month i won't be playing it at launch anways, so i don't mind waiting despite preordering months ago.

My biggest worry is the waiting times in the big campaign, i remember they already tried something similar in Empire and the times were horrible because of how big the map was

They've confirmed turn times will be bigger than normal. There's something like 130 factions in play, so I can't really blame them. I imagine it'll get shorter as the factions slaughter each other, as in regular grand campaigns.

They also mentioned that the Mortal Empires campaign isn't just the two maps smashed together, it's its own unique thing. It's unclear how much the geography changes, but some of the sequel's mechanics will be backported to the Old World; e.g. cities will have ten slots and anyone can conquer anywhere. I imagine there will be a significant rework of those OG factions and overall balance.

It sounds really promising.

kionedrik

Which ones?! I still find Balder's Gate 2 in a class of its own today in terms of encounter design and density of well designed quests. Pillars was mostly trash mobs in comparison and the writing only being serviceable. BG2's only flaw in my eyes(and to be fair it's a big one and forces use of a guide) is being based on old DnD. Meaning it wasn't designed for game design in any way and it's very possible to create utterly useless characters or waste points on abilities with no function.

For me the epitome of RPGs is PS:T and I believe BG2, no mater how good it is (and it is very good), is miles away from achieving what PS:T achieved.
Other than PS:T, i think games like Fallout 2, Arcanum or Temple of Elemental Evil (although the latter is significantly more recent) are better games, and if I can shift a little towards other types of RPGs I find SS2 or Deus Ex to also be better than BG.

Either way, the ordering of an hypothetical "top RPGs list" is extremely subjective and the truth is we're talking about fantastic games that would differ by mere hundredths in any scale.

For as much as I adore PS:T I can't excuse how poor the combat is, as even while you can ignore 90% of it there are a lot of trash mobs you're forced to fight and it's just so boring. All great games tho I've never played Arcanum and need to correct that. Should download it as I'm sure it'll work on my Surface Pro 2.

Also CoD WW2 PC support looks like this

DKljhixW4AAb65C.jpg:large

I like that Treyarch and Sledgehammer at least put some effort into their COD PC releases even when they don't sell as well as the console versions. I don't know why the games go south when Infinity ward releases their game. At least Infinite Warfare was alright.

Nabs

I like that Treyarch and Sledgehammer at least put some effort into their COD PC releases even when they don't sell as well as the console versions. I don't know why the games go south when Infinity ward releases their game. At least Infinite Warfare was alright.

IW was an a solid port, but it launched without anti-cheat. I hope Sledgehammer learns from that.

All this work for a game series that doesn't sell on PC more than 5% of total sales.

Better than these Japanese devs who just release shit port after shit port and yet still get praised despite not patching their damn games :>

I'm getting CoD on PS4 because it's a console game but will definitely try the beta cuz why not.

A port of Aliens: Infestation during the release of Alien: Covenant would've been great.

It's really not a very good game, to be honest. Sub-Igavania level design, boring bullet sponge bosses, useless cover system, etc.

Nice pixel art and Chris Bachalo character portraits, at least.

I'm receiving reports that new Valve’s new policy about limiting keys generation requests are working and hit a lot developers who tried to abuse system lately. Several devs from RU/CIS region, mostly known for those cheap 1-2$ trash games from Jim Sterling videos and Indiegala bundles, lost ability to request new keys:
PdWKLeZ.jpg

Tagyhag

I'm receiving reports that new Valve’s new policy about limiting keys generation requests are working and hit a lot developers who tried to abuse system lately. Several devs from RU/CIS region, mostly known for those cheap 1-2$ trash games from Jim Sterling videos and Indiegala bundles, lost ability to request new keys:
PdWKLeZ.jpg

Good to hear. That'll somewhat stop the flood of trash.

Kudo

I am so close to buying D:OS2 but i have so few hours a day to play and i hear it is super long....decisions

Get it and just pace yourself properly.
You can do a lot in just few hours and get progress little by little. It's really good is all I can say, got over 50 hours clocked in.

PdWKLeZ.jpg

Monopoly!

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I am so close to buying D:OS2 but i have so few hours a day to play and i hear it is super long....decisions

Playing games like that in small chunks is actually helpful. It will lead to you exploring a lot more of the weird and wonderful side quests. Exploring your surroundings and finding random cool stuff there is part of the joy of this game for sure.

Tonton

After Ys VIII and Zwei I was thinking of something like "Zwei delaYs" for the next thread to keep the streak going but "We hope you will accept this." is fucking gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom