• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2017 - Summer Ys Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzzy

Hah! I already knew this, so it can't hurt me.

VVlOA8k.gif

Plesiades

Where is the cheapest for Destiny 2 right now? GMG? It's 10% off at the moment but I'm sure it was 18% off at some point.

They lowered the discount when the open beta hit. That said, I think they have the lowest price right now.

And a heads up... if you want all the preorder bonuses, it seems that Battle.net is the only way to adquire them.

Gamestop sold me a used Watch_Dogs 👍

Mine was just canceled saying it was sold out, but Dragon Age: Inquisition arrived today. It looked like it had been opened and resealed, but the key inside was still good.

Edit: Strangely, they never charged me for my order, but they did refund me the amount first, then charged me that same amount, so it seems I'm essentially getting DA:I for free.

Nabs

Mine was just canceled saying it was sold out, but Dragon Age: Inquisition arrived today. It looked like it had been opened and resealed, but the key inside was still good.

Edit: Strangely, they never charged me for my order, but they did refund me the amount first, then charged me that same amount, so it seems I'm essentially getting DA:I for free.

Thankfully my DA:I, BF4, and SotD all registered fine.

Parsnip

Just watched the RE7 gold edition trailer, and I was wondering, did they change Chris' look from earlier media we've seen of Not a Hero?

Or am I just remembering it wrong?

Pachimari

They didn't touch it at all. It's the same as it was at the end of RE7
Wait, Chris is in Resident Evil 7? Fuck, I had no idea. I knew he was the star of the Not a Hero DLC but I didn't know he would turn up
by the end of the main campaign.
That would have been a nice surprise.

Jawmuncher

Wait, Chris is in Resident Evil 7? Fuck, I had no idea. I knew he was the star of the Not a Hero DLC but I didn't know he would turn up
by the end of the main campaign.
That would have been a nice surprise.

He's not in the RE7 campaign. After the credits you just see a tease for Not a Hero

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hey! I've been using "hella" way before Life Is Strange is a thing!

And now that I think about it, I don't know where I got it from.

There was a whole episode of South park many moons ago with Cartman saying hella and annoying everybody so probably from that.

I'm near the end of Ys Seven. At first I wasn't sure if I was going to like it, the reaction to it seems all over the place
and then I heard you can't even jump in the game
but I ended up loving it. The gameplay feels good and I like the party system a lot. It's a very short game, at least by RPG standards but that's fine since I'll be playing Ys VIII soon enough.

My Watch Dogs sure looked used. I would have bet a dollar on it. If it was on a thrift store shelf I would have passed, but the key worked surprisingly.

Edit: And now the whole thing goes in the trash. That's a weird feeling after having not bought physical games in four years.
OK, fine. I bought Brawl last week for three dollars.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Does anyone know how Steam tracks play time for games? Client side, server side, on a timer, in intervals, etc?

Coreda

Depth of field needs to be very carefully built, because if not, it's just the "Can't see shit Captain" meme

086720376832525DCF3D9D593AB470B9F24439A0

Yeah. Stylistically some would argue that a game view doesn't represent our eyes but rather that of a camera so anything goes (and tbf a range of irl camera-like properties/effects are regularly used in games), but the argument is rather weak if the important area of the scene is out of focus (in the above shot the surrounding view rather than the playable character).

Blur only really makes sense for situations where mid to long range visibility isn't necessary for gameplay, views where the subject of the scene is a character or some other foreground object holding your attention (dialog, etc). In MGSV the full view is always in focus apart from climbing cliffs/high towers where a more shallow DoF is used to focus on the climb. Pseudo-'DoF' was also used to obscure image quality weaknesses in the distance such as TW3 but that's a different use. Unless of course the shallow DoF is purely for screenshot purposes in which case go nuts.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Speaking about graphical settings, i tested GTX 1080ti, changed only GPU (old one was GTX 770). Turned on every feature and settings to ultra, and after comparing benchmark results i guess i did right thing that didn't bought 4K monitor. Even 1080ti can't handle stable 60FPS with all shit enabled in most graphically demanding games.

For example, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (Ultra settings, MSAA x4):
GTX 770
Average: 23.6 FPS
Min: 7.9 FPS
Max: 30 FPS
GTX 1080ti
Average: 50.1 FPS
Min: 7.9 FPS
Max: 62.2 FPS

Rise of the Tomb Raider (Ultra, SSAA x4):
GTX 770
tMtuEkx.jpg

GTX 1080ti
dtpV2Z4.jpg

Far Cry Primal
GTX 770
Average: 29 FPS
Min: 38 FPS
Max: 62.2 FPS
GTX 1080ti
Average: 73 FPS
Min: 47 FPS
Max: 90 FPS

System specs except GPU remains the same, CPU i5-3507k and 8gb DDR3, DX11, 1920x1080. Not sure if CPU and memory are bottleneck in this case, but personally i just got confirmation that it's not the right time to upgrade for 4K and better wait another 2-3 years for new GPU and monitors generations.

A couple of things to consider:

1) MSAA is generally expensive in modern games as it's applied during each render pass, so there's a linear increase in cost
2) 4x SSAA means you're actually rendering the game at a resolution four times higher than that of your display

Does anyone know how Steam tracks play time for games? Client side, server side, on a timer, in intervals, etc?

Time is tracked client-side and stored server-side. If you bring up the overlay while playing something in Offline Mode, you'll notice Steam is tracking the playtime of that session, but as that information isn't stored locally for uploading later, it isn't added to your recorded total or taken into account when requesting a refund.

Momentary

Banned
I tend to stay away from SSAA and MSAA. Way too much of a performance for no need. It's best to just use DSR.

Using DSR + MSAA/SSAA is just overkill. I would rather just sprinkle some SMAA/FXAA/TXAA or a combination of those if offered.

Coreda

Time is tracked client-side and stored server-side. If you bring up the overlay while playing something in Offline Mode, you'll notice Steam is tracking the playtime of that session. The information isn't stored locally, though, which is why it isn't added to your recorded total or taken into account when requesting a refund.

Are you saying users could play a game more than two hours in offline mode and still successfully be issued a refund?

thanks for replying... with a meme

Yar, that's what I was going for!

Or alternatively...

f0RKKzZ.png

Are you saying users could play a game more than two hours in offline mode and still successfully be issued a refund?

That was always my assumption and I imagine it's even more exploitable if the game is DRM-free. But when you are already willing to go that far, might as well download it from torrent and skip the busywork.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Yeah, but that's something Valve would catch on to eventually since achievement data does sync. Theoretically, though, you could use Offline Mode to finish games that don't support anything that may give away the fact you've played them and get your money back via refunds, but if you're going to that much effort to avoid a permanent ding to your bank account, you might as well just take the easier path of pirating them, which is probably why Valve hasn't bothered closing the loophole.

Edit: The loophole does have its legitimate uses, too. I myself recommend that people use Offline Mode when first launching a game (or after authentication in cases where Denuvo needs to be assuaged) as then any fiddling they need to do doesn't count against the two-hour window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom