• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2017 - Summer Ys Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
gf0UqRZ.png

after finishing la noire i'm back to installing a couple dozen games while trying to figure out what i should play

sometimes i feel like i should always keep like two or three easy-to-get-into games on stand by so i can get thru the post game finished blues

hmm

Unless you're browsing the forum on a 3DS, i don't see how anyone could miss the difference lol

Like Jesus even on my phone where the image is resized to like 1/8 of the screen i can immediately see the difference lol
i think you people are massively overstating how much of an improvement the picture on the right is....

Eila

ADg2QXG.jpg

Left: XSEED's Ys Seven port.
Right: Widely hated for being crappy Joyland Ys Seven port.

Left without further comment.

Right is actually the XSEED port with the Joyoland textures.
They couldn't use their textures for their own port, so it's understandable. And now the game is 60 fps so now we have the definitive version :)

Lain

The boat in the background is the dead giveaway. When I saw it as I was playing I wondered how anyone thought yeah, that's good.

Is awesome.

Almost rogue-lite in structure, it's a four chapter story ARPG where the goal is to make different choices each time to unlock four "truths" out of the 25ish endings and then complete the game. Gear and skills carry over after each run along with all the knowledge you have earned on how to manipulate the story. VO is great and borrows heavily from Bastion.

Runs great but load times are very long even on a beastly rig and SSD.

zkylon

zkylewd
i think i'm gonna play xcom 1 instead of 2, i bought enemy within for something and that's gonna run great and stuff

any idea of what to mod into xcom 1?

The boat in the background is the dead giveaway. When I saw it as I was playing I wondered how anyone thought yeah, that's good.
probably platform limitations. looks like a psp game or something?

Sarcasm

i think i'm gonna play xcom 1 instead of 2, i bought enemy within for something and that's gonna run great and stuff

I am about to start XCOM:EW (As I read you may as well start all the DLC from the get go).

Just play it vanilla. Its what I plan to do. Then move onto XCOM 2 (or most like D:OS2)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Is awesome.

Almost rogue-lite in structure, it's a four chapter story ARPG where the goal is to make different choices each time to unlock four "truths" out of the 25ish endings and then complete the game. Gear and skills carry over after each run along with all the knowledge you have earned on how to manipulate the story. VO is great and borrows heavily from Bastion.

reckon it will run on a lower end laptop? seems like something good to pass the time at work

reckon it will run on a lower end laptop? seems like something good to pass the time at work

Not sure, I couldn't run it on my old PC, it would get stuck in the loading screens, and that PC was on or about the minimum specs from the page. 2bh I think it's far more resource hungry than it has the right to be.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Not sure, I couldn't run it on my old PC, it would get stuck in the loading screens, and that PC was on or about the minimum specs from the page. 2bh I think it's far more resource hungry than it has the right to be.

why u gotta be like that bob?

Lain

Yes, it's a PSP game ported to PC. They could have embellished some of the uglier parts but they didn't, I guess because it would have costed more than they thought it was worth. Given the sales, I can't fault them.

zkylon

zkylewd
Long War is not for first time players.

i've finished xcom 1 and 2 (and played a fair bit of original xcom)

i wouldn't say i'm a master at it but it's not my first time playing it

tho tbh i don't want a mod that makes it harder, i kind of want one that rebalances things cos i remebmer some shit being pretty overpowered

Yes, it's a PSP game ported to PC. They could have embellished some of the uglier parts but they didn't, I guess because it would have costed more than they thought it was worth. Given the sales, I can't fault them.
then again the psp could do something that looks like this so idk if that's a valid excuse

3rdbirthday.jpg

(admittedly that's emulated so obviously with higher resolution and stuffs)

but imo both of those ys pictures have a problem with art design, not fidelity

derFeef

I got a G-Sync monitor yesterday and I thought jumping fromn 60hz to 165hz (or 144hz) G-Synced would be a much higher noticable difference. I notice it, but not as much as I thought - or maybe I adjusted very fast to it.

G-Sync + V-Sync on in the CP and off in the game is the right setting I read?

preta

Dont the original garghav trilogy have questionable localization?

Well, the originals are on PC-98 and Windows, neither of which have official localizations or fan translations. The PSP versions are ports, and their localizations are definitely not great. Even disregarding the localization quality, they're considered by many to be the worst versions of the games due to having inconsistent soundtracks consisting of some existing high-quality arrangements taken from albums and some very questionable new ones (just compare these), and also due to changing the battle system from a sort of Growlanser-like system (battles take place on the field, real-time movement and ATB-like system) to a generic turn-based one. (I think in one case, the battle system was only changed in the localization, but I forget if that was White Witch or A Tear of Vermilion.) In exchange, the PSP versions gain character portraits, which are admittedly not bad.

I got a G-Sync monitor yesterday and I thought jumping fromn 60hz to 165hz (or 144hz) G-Synced would be a much higher noticable difference. I notice it, but not as much as I thought - or maybe I adjusted very fast to it.

G-Sync I didn't really take much care to, definitely not the god level upgrade it was purported to be. With 120+hz, it really depends on the type of game, for shooters it's huge.

Monooboe

G-Sync mostly shines around the 40FPS range, since you no longer get that difference in that the screen is doing and what the GPU is doing.

Also I thought Vsync was unnecessary with Gsync?

derFeef

G-Sync mostly shines around the 40FPS range, since you no longer get that difference in that the screen is doing and what the GPU is doing.

Also I thought Vsync was unnecessary with Gsync?

afaik you need to set it in the CP to cap the framerate to the monitors max refresh rate so G-Sync stays in tact.

Monooboe

afaik you need to set it in the CP to cap the framerate to the monitors max refresh rate so G-Sync stays in tact.

Oh right, of course there is a upper limit to any monitor after all. I've never experienced gsync personally but it will be a must when I build a gaming PC again.

Good for the well experienced players yes. Though you are probably better playing XCOM 1 vanilla > XCOM 2: WOTC > XCOM 2 Long War

I liked long war in xcom 1 because it fixed things I didn't like such as automatically losing countries.

I got long war 2 because it is long war but it doesn't really fix anything in xcom 2. Wotc fixes xcom 2 without adding unfun difficulty. long war 1 was made to fix design frustration. long war 2 was made because it was comissioned. They have different purposes.

Lain

Is awesome.

Your post reminded me I wanted to give this game a try so I did.
I bolded the VO part of your post because that's the part I've hated the most so far after 1 hour of play. If it was a narrator from time to time I could like it but it's the narrator all the time and it interrupts at every turn. I can't even skip ahead that I could see.

Price mistake on the bundle?

What kind of game are they?

Chinese "JRPGs". Im not sure if its a price mistake, but might be. You can only get GuJian 2 via the bundle now and even then with the bundle you can get both games far cheaper than one.
I doubt though they will be available in English.

GuJian 1 is more like the old FF games.
GuJian 2 has a more action oriented battle system.

The Chinese Paladin series also hit Steam, 4 already came out and 5+6 come out soon. I wish they would be translated though, since they are actually not bad games.

It's either my poor english, or humble bundle support can't fucking read. Yesterday i decided to go for sakura bundle BTA and increase my order amount. I clicked "Pay instant with PayPal" button, but for some reason i got 2 SMS from my bank and saw that i was charged twice. So, i contacted HB support, attached screenshots with SMS receipts and asked to refund transaction that was made by error.
Today i received answer from HB support and 2 messages from Paypal. Instead of refunding wrong payment, they refunded me whole bundle. And i already activated and gave away keys from it.
Most ridiculous thing that i don't see now that second transaction in my paypal payment history, so basically i probably lost 4.75$ and my keys will be revoked from my steam account very soon. I already replied to their support to ask what the fuck are they doing, but i guess that's a lesson for me to never use "Pay instant with PayPal" button again.

Deques

Chinese "JRPGs". Im not sure if its a price mistake, but might be. You can only get GuJian 2 via the bundle now and even then with the bundle you can get both games far cheaper than one.
I doubt though they will be available in English.

GuJian 1 is more like the old FF games.
GuJian 2 has a more action oriented battle system.

The Chinese Paladin series also hit Steam, 4 already came out and 5+6 come out soon. I wish they would be translated though, since they are actually not bad games.

There is a buy button for the second game on the first game's store page.
Kinda sucks that they are Chinese only. Are there any unoffical fantranslation? :D

There is a buy button for the second game on the first game's store page.
Kinda sucks that they are Chinese only. Are there any unoffical fantranslation? :D

Sadly not. I actually wish there would be translations,and while I can read it would take far too long to read it.

zkylon

zkylewd
just realized during this mission where saoirse kept getting shot from all angles that this game is really intense so much that i sit too stressed out in my chair and my butt fell asleep

this game is great

i think i'm gonna pass on long war if it means it's more difficult

i've already "proven" i can beat savescum my way through this game, now i just want to have a little fun

Hektor

You never played EW? It's such a big upgrade over the basegame.

Post release i could never again imagine myself playing without expansion.

It also got the single best mission if xcom1. Prepare to die.

Did xcom1 had the "stop wasting my time" mod? If so install that

Ganado

It's either my poor english, or humble bundle support can't fucking read. Yesterday i decided to go for sakura bundle BTA and increase my order amount. I clicked "Pay instant with PayPal" button, but for some reason i got 2 SMS from my bank and saw that i was charged twice. So, i contacted HB support, attached screenshots with SMS receipts and asked to refund transaction that was made by error.

Today i received answer from HB support and 2 messages from Paypal. Instead of refunding wrong payment, they refunded me whole bundle. And i already activated and gave away keys from it.

Most ridiculous thing that i don't see now that second transaction in my paypal payment history, so basically i probably lost 4.75$ and my keys will be revoked from my steam account very soon. I already replied to their support to ask what the fuck are they doing, but i guess that's a lesson for me to never use "Pay instant with PayPal" button again.
I'd say that you jumped the gun early and they charged you twice, but their automated systems saw that and canceled the other charge. Your bank most likely has the other charge reserved until it will clear.

I'd say that you jumped the gun early and they charged you twice, but their automated systems saw that and canceled the other charge. Your bank most likely has the other charge reserved until it will clear.
Well, it was impossible to check so i decided to ask HB support for details, i thought they could check if their automated system canceled other charge and everything is fine. But instead, it looks like they didn't read what i wrote and blindly refunded not just last purchase, but whole bundle. I know that HB support can be way too straight forward sometimes after my previous experience with them, but this time they didn't tried to understand what i asked at all.

BOOOOOOOM.
Gotta giveaway one or two. Thanks wbacon. Next: Ghost Trick and Ace Attorney... and God Hand... and Asura's Wrath. And Dino Crisis. :")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom