• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale '17 Hidden Gems & Under-The-Radar Recommendations thread

h#shdem0n

Nier! Bayonetta? Vanquish! Transformers Devastation!?

Whichever Platinum game you think you would like the most

Thanks, already got Transformers: Devastation in my cart. Played Bayonetta on 360, going to wait for it to get cheaper before double dipping. Vanquish isn't on sale. :( Also going to wait for Nier to get cheaper. Is the combat really that good though? You're talking about Automata right?

autoduelist

If anyone is looking for a solid tower defense game, get Dungeon Warfare. You set up traps in a dungeon to stop invaders. Tons of traps and lots of diverse scenarios. You earn money to permanently upgrade your arsenal, and despite this permanent progression they still managed to nail a solid difficulty curve throughout the game.

I beat the game ages ago [mastering all the levels], then lost my playthough save. I actually consider this a good thing, because now I get to play it again.

SPEAKING of....

does anyone have TD recommendations? My favorites have been Dungeon Warfare, Defender's Quest, Defense Grid, and Kingdom Rush. I like the game to have personality [I've played plenty of the pure TD games as well, some great, but always come back to those that have more of a soul]. I don't like controlling units beyond upgrading towers [pixel junk monsters was the only exception], and I definitely want top down.

I recently came across Low Magic Age.

D&D styled, turn-based RPG. Currently in Early Access and only the Arena mode is available but combat looks fun and devs are working hard on a singleplayer campaign.

That's my kind of game. Numbers everywhere. Combat. Lewt. On to my wishlist it goes.

Thanks, already got Transformers: Devastation in my cart. Played Bayonetta on 360, going to wait for it to get cheaper before double dipping. Vanquish isn't on sale. :( Also going to wait for Nier to get cheaper. Is the combat really that good though? You're talking about Automata right?

To be fair, I have only played Nier and Transformers but I love the combat in Nier and I prefer RPGs so Nier is amazing to me. Watch some videos of the combat, its really good.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
If anyone is looking for a solid tower defense game, get Dungeon Warfare. You set up traps in a dungeon to stop invaders. Tons of traps and lots of diverse scenarios. You earn money to permanently upgrade your arsenal, and despite this permanent progression they still managed to nail a solid difficulty curve throughout the game.

I beat the game ages ago [mastering all the levels], then lost my playthough save. I actually consider this a good thing, because now I get to play it again.

SPEAKING of....

does anyone have TD recommendations? My favorites have been Dungeon Warfare, Defender's Quest, Defense Grid, and Kingdom Rush. I like the game to have personality [I've played plenty of the pure TD games as well, some great, but always come back to those that have more of a soul]. I don't like controlling units beyond upgrading towers [pixel junk monsters was the only exception], and I definitely want top down.

That's my kind of game. Numbers everywhere. Combat. Lewt. On to my wishlist it goes.
You reminded me of :
Orcs Must Die 2 for 4.94 euro
ss_7d6853d1ced1c1bfc1ff74fe9911b5f099ab4f37.600x338.jpg
ss_36186c9ac1f087b348b538bbcec2324d1157fb97.600x338.jpg

it's a mix between tower defense(waves of enemies trying to reach the end of a path), tps(third person view, shooting and melee) and deception(traps instead of turrets), it can be challenging because you need to carefully plan every level and wave, if you want to win between a wave and another often you need to change traps and their positions and between one level and the other you need to choose the more fitting equipment and traps. There are two characters with some differences, you unlock or buy new traps, weapons, equipment etc.

nbraun80

SPEAKING of....

Have you tried Dungeon of the Endless?
ss_303d0ba78924ce428d85b9e32dbd3f2f1e583d08.600x338.jpg
ss_8ea9fd462ff772847fe4f0bec28d1d1358ad045f.600x338.jpg

Basically you start at the bottom of a dungeon and have to work your way up through the floors, looking for exits while setting up a defense in each room you explore to prevent monsters from destroying your core at the floor entrance. You'll find loot, upgrades, and new characters along the way. Only think you might not like is your characters how skills and can get upgraded weapons, so theirs some controlling them, although you can pause and just post them up to protect zones.

Yukinari

I bought 2 games using a combination of steam wallet and paypal and now it says my purchase is pending.

Anyone else having an issue or what?

so.. Darkest Dungeon or Unexplored, which one should I go for?
Unexplored. Darkest Dungeon looks amazing, and has some great atmosphere and tactical depth, but it's hard af and has a pretty steep learning curve

Unexplored is much easier to get into and offers new surprises every run, with a much more fun learning curve as you experiment with new stuff and become more experiences. One of the best recent action roguelikes

Ben and Ed - 3.99€ (60% off)
Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/y8DhHUG.jpg[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/Yud6YuS.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/6OyaD9H.jpg[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/84BYQPT.jpg[/img]

A challenging, morbidly funny 3D platformer in which you play a zombie who is forced to traverse trap-riddled, deadly obstacle courses as part of a game show. (And yes, you can continue playing even if your limbs have been chopped off :p.)
This looks so fun, thanks for the recommendation

Has anyone mentioned Death Road to Canada yet?

header.jpg

It came out last year and seemingly fell through the cracks.... Nobody talks about it, but its legitimately the most fun I've ever had with an "Oregon Trail" style game. Its marked down to about ten bucks for the sale.
It also just got a major update that added persistent upgrades, new characters ("Just like Bart", Monster Factory fans will get that), and other stuff. With another major update coming next month

After playing about 11 days in VA-11 HALL-A, I can safely say this cyberpunk bar tending game has some of my favorite writing in video games ever. Best use of $10 thus far, and I guarantee you'll laugh and feel for some of the most human characters (well, with some humanoids mixed in) in the media. Highly recommend!

EDIT: Finished the game, changed the avatar for best girl.

Fou-Lu

Currently have Little Nightmares, What Remains of Edith Finch, Firewatch, Inside, Xanadu Next, and Gurumin sitting in my cart as I try to decide which are worth it at their current prices. Suggestions?

Scirrocco

Can anyone recomend some games that will run on a potato? I'm away from my desktop for a bit, and only have access to a weAk laptop with no graphics card.

I have Undertale, so that should hold for a bit, and the original Doom games. Any other. Suggestions?

Can anyone recomend some games that will run on a potato? I'm away from my desktop for a bit, and only have access to a weAk laptop with no graphics card.

I have Undertale, so that should hold for a bit, and the original Doom games. Any other. Suggestions?
Morphblade
Unexplored
Battle Brothers
Induction
SpaceChem
Volgarr The Viking
Hotline Miami
Nuclear Throne
Luftrausers
Capsule
The Sun and Moon
LISA

Chanser

FTL and Plague Inc.

Scirrocco

Morphblade
Unexplored
Battle Brothers
Induction
SpaceChem
Volgarr The Viking
Hotline Miami
Nuclear Throne
Luftrausers
Capsule
The Sun and Moon
LISA

Played some of these like hotline, but I'll check the rest out.

FTL and Plague Inc.

I've seen videos of FTL, not really for me, and is plague the game where you make a virus and see if you can kill the whole world? That might be a interest ing?

Thanks.

Dr. Worm

Banned

What genres are you looking for?

I've been playing Morphblade, Gunpoint, and Aviary Attorney from the sale on my laptop, and I've enjoyed all of them.

Syril

The sprite-based Falcom games should be fine since they weren't exactly pushing the boundaries even in the mid 2000s when they were originally made. I think Ys Origin has a demo you can test with.

dawgparty

First of all, thanks for asking the exact question I was going to ask. TD games are my favorite. That said my favorite of all time is definitely Orcs Must Die 2, even more sublime with a friend. Orcs Must Die 1 is an awesome solo experience.

Have you played Deathtrap It is similar to OMD in that it is a TD/ARPG fusion. Had a ton of fun with that alone and with friends as well and it's only 3.99 right now.

Super Sanctum TD is fun as well. Very simple, retro TD built around mazing(which I usually hate but was fun in this instance).

Wok

In case anyone is interested, I have updated my list of "hidden gems":

It has been a week since the summer sales started, so the Wilson score and number of players have changed a bit, which results in a slightly different ranking. Typically, we should expect that games which have been selling well for the past week would get a lower rank.

I also provide a list with some tags filtered out (sorry, Anime fans):

J3ffro

I've picked up a number of games, both from this thread and just poking around, but I spent about an hour last night playing Deathtrap, and it is pretty great.

FWIW, I really enjoy tower defense games, and this is one of those, albeit the type that allows you to run around and supplement your towers abilities. But instead of being first person or third person over the shoulder view, it is more like a MOBA view, and even though I'm not much of a MOBA guy, I really like it. I could see spending a lot of time in this game.

You don't have much flexibility in the way of traps, there are spots where specific traps go, and you don't have many choices (eventually you can unlock variations and upgrades), but I find the lava and acid spray traps very satisfying. Also, you get gear to level up your guy, and that's been oddly satisfying too.

If you like tower defense style games, there's worse ways to spend $5.

FloatOn

You reminded me of :
Orcs Must Die 2 for 4.94 euro
ss_7d6853d1ced1c1bfc1ff74fe9911b5f099ab4f37.600x338.jpg
ss_36186c9ac1f087b348b538bbcec2324d1157fb97.600x338.jpg

it's a mix between tower defense(waves of enemies trying to reach the end of a path), tps(third person view, shooting and melee) and deception(traps instead of turrets), it can be challenging because you need to carefully plan every level and wave, if you want to win between a wave and another often you need to change traps and their positions and between one level and the other you need to choose the more fitting equipment and traps. There are two characters with some differences, you unlock or buy new traps, weapons, equipment etc.

if you want something like orcs must die try out fortified

ss_033208d7c2c38361d4ed588396dc1c56212fdf74.1920x1080.jpg

similar concept but it has the 1950s alien invasion aesthetic

http://store.steampowered.com/app/334210/Fortified/

Varg

Banned

SPEAKING of....

Been playing the hell out of alien shooter td and bloonstd5. Alien shooter has great music , good level up mechanics on the guns and characters , and a unique reload system for each unit . Tons of levels as well. Should already know what bloons is and the pc version is excellent . I recommend both

Took the plunge on Total War Warhammer.

I now have just about 100 Steam games (I know, lame compared to some). How the hell do you all keep all of this organized? I've got a category for "completed/removed" for those I've either actually played and finished (I know, I'm actually playing my Steam games wtf) or those I've played and sort of just gave up on.

But weeding through the full list is daunting, and I've only got 100 of them.

Dorygrant

All I've been playing that I bought from the sale is 20XX. Really good mega man x clone, feels right (even if its still early access).

Took the plunge on Total War Warhammer.

I now have just about 100 Steam games (I know, lame compared to some). How the hell do you all keep all of this organized? I've got a category for "completed/removed" for those I've either actually played and finished (I know, I'm actually playing my Steam games wtf) or those I've played and sort of just gave up on.

But weeding through the full list is daunting, and I've only got 100 of them.

At a certain point you become a collector over a player and just throw them all in a pile. I have about 3700 but I would say, only about ...1000? Are actually good.

For anyone wanting a hilarious adventure game in the vein of the Lucasarts games, I highly recommend Paradigm.

paradigm-3671415.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/600370/Paradigm/

It tells the story of a horribly deformed mutant with a heart of gold who just wants to work on his EP, but is thrust into the position of the savior of the world.

The game came out recently, but it feels like it flew way under the radar. It's easily one of my favorites of 2017.

For anyone wanting a hilarious adventure game in the vein of the Lucasarts games, I highly recommend Paradigm.

paradigm-3671415.jpg

It tells the story of a horribly deformed mutant with a heart of gold who just wants to work on his EP, but is thrust into the position of the savior of the world.

The game came out recently, but it feels like it flew way under the radar. It's easily one of my favorites of 2017.

I literally just asked about this in the Steam Sales thread! Thank you! This will probably be the last game I buy during the sale. :)

Nzyme32

paradigm-3671415.jpg

I read this and thought "wow I gotta add this to the wishlist" - then I checked and remembered, I found this in the discovery queue!

Wark

http://www.3djuegos.com/juegos/14680/paradigm/fotos/videos/paradigm-3671415.jpg

This game has been on my radar for a little bit and I'm definitely going to pick it up by the time the sale ends - even if it is just 20% off. It looks like it's right up my alley.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
If you are in need of a simulation/puzzle game to relax to and de-stress with, I'm recommending Demolition Company Gold Edition.
Just like it says on a tin, play the part of a demolition and tear down buildings with all sorts of tools from sledgehammers to explosives to cranes. You don't have to do it perfectly to get through them, but I found figuring out how to do it best is satisfying as a puzzle fan.

Sai-kun

Banned
If you are in need of a simulation/puzzle game to relax to and de-stress with, I'm recommending Demolition Company Gold Edition.
Just like it says on a tin, play the part of a demolition and tear down buildings with all sorts of tools from sledgehammers to explosives to cranes. You don't have to do it perfectly to get through them, but I found figuring out how to do it best is satisfying as a puzzle fan.

well this sounds fucking rad

hoggert

visual novel
horror
sailor moon/oh no the gaaaaays
amazing soundtrack
And so on. This is legitimately, while it might not be one of the spookiest games I've played, is one of those works that worms it's way into your head like a shitty hook to a crappy pop song and stays there for years. I think the only things that have fucked with me in the way this game has was It Follows. Anyway, the setting, writing, and atmosphere are fantastic.
There's also a web version out there. But you should buy the Steam version just to unlock the tATu achievement.

Jintor

Bayonetta is still platinum's best combat system. Nier combat isn't as hot. Devastation is a reworking of bayo but with loot drops

Top Bottom