• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale '17 Hidden Gems & Under-The-Radar Recommendations thread

Victrix

*beard*
Dungeonmans

I made a big thread about it last year, still one of my favorite roguelikes

qZLmjd.png
EtaOUk.png

Demolition Company is indeed awesome. Bought it just a couple hours ago and already enjoying it.

Other good stuff I've bought and finished this sale.

Stories: Path of Destinies - kinda like Bastion but better and with a choose your own adventure mechanic added. great art style and narration.
header.jpg

Sally Face - short but amazing. went through it multiple times and can't wait for the next chapter.
header.jpg

Rusty Lake Hotel and Rusty Lake Roots - great point and click puzzlers in a grim setting
header.jpg

clo1_2000

Banned
Ok, I need a couple of JRPG recommendations, already have Cosmic Star Heroine and Xanadu Next.

Also, someone asked about Total War Warhammer, any good?

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Is Rabi-Ribi good? Like unironically good? It's one of the highest rated games on Steam, but I'm not sure if the reason for that is the quality of the game or the "waifus," I have just enough money in my Steam wallet to buy it as the last thing from this sale.

zoodoo

I envy you pc gamers. Most of those games dont make it to consoles and I'd love to play them. Too bad I really dont like playing on pc.

Burt

Ok, I need a couple of JRPG recommendations, already have Cosmic Star Heroine and Xanadu Next.

Total Warhammer is awesome.

I really like both Celestian Tales and Shadows of Adam for JRPGs.

The FFX/X-2 HD bundle is a great choice too.

Sciel

I'm looking for online co-op games if anyone can recommend a few. Recently finished Dying Light which was a blast (altho a bit shit in its story).

To plug VA-11 HALL-A one last time, I'm going to post some screens that made me snicker during the game (and yes, they're going to be ~slightly~ crude):

qMSBLek.png

DI5gaBR.png

AXMMqCf.png

Tl;dr Cyberpunk bartending game with fantastic characters and witty writing for only $10 - doooooooooo it.

This, a lot of modern PC games don't need high specs. Not to mention all the old PC games you can get from Steam and GOG.

yeah like 90% of the PC games that require a good rig are multi-platform these days

I've got a steam library of over 200 games, plus GOG, Origin and Uplay and I'm on a laptop.

Myriadis

I envy you pc gamers. Most of those games dont make it to consoles and I'd love to play them. Too bad I really dont like playing on pc.

You can play with several controllers. I'm using a dualshock 3 controller and it's so close to console experience that I sometimes try to ALT-F4 out when I actually play on the PS3.

I just noticed tonight, so maybe others hadn't seen it yet, but a month ago a new Matthew Brown game came out.
He of HEXCELLS (and PLUS and INFINITE) fame, if that means anything, you'll buy it instantly I imagine, like I did.

It's not on sale, but it's 2.99.

Cross Cells

It's solid so far!

If you guys enjoy satisfying FPS combat, you owe it to yourselves to check out Killing Floor 2. It's got a great learning curve, a good variety of maps, a soundtrack that matches the action perfectly, and a bunch of different weapons and enemy types.

It's also hilariously violent and has co-op for up to 6 players.

On sale for $15 instead of the usual $30.

Killing Floor 2 on the Steam Store

autoduelist

Steam ate my cart. Damn it. I was almost ready to pull the trigger, and now I've got to sort it all out again.

I can second Dungeonmans. It's a great roguelike with some permanent progression. Permanent progression normally annoys the hell out of me in these games, but it works here.

Anyone played Templar Battleforce? Been eyeing it all sale.

I've heard good things.

I'm really considering getting this. Is this something I would need friends to play with, or is the community big enough to where I can enjoy it by meeting people in-game?

With the steam sale there's been about an average of 500 people online, usually in the Chicago or New York servers if in the US. Before the sale the average may have been 200. There is usually always people online, but since its an early access title with no marketing I imagine huge crowds wouldn't appear until near release. I enjoy it enough with random folks at the moment or occasionally with the wife.

ViviOggi

When was the last time you tried it? PC has come a long way in terms of accessibility in the past decade
while consoles have regressed
. If it's about the input method as others have said the vast majority of games, including native/"exclusive" PC games, support controllers out of the box.

Total Warhammer is great. Each faction has their own playstyle and starting positions, which gives the campaign mode a lot of replayability. Like, the Vampire Counts have no ranged units, but can quickly replenish their armies thanks to necromancy, and are great at swarming or disrupting the enemy; the Dwarves, meanwhile, have expensive, armored, powerful units, and impressive ranged and siege options, but they have no cavalry and are quite slow. And the best part? The battle AI takes full advantage of these asymmetrical armies--it is downright clever; you'll see it flank, take the high ground, and in general devastate you if you're unprepared.

Also, while the faction DLCs are good, they are not essential unless you really want moar.

Wow didn't know about that Disney Infinite Bundle. That's an amazing deal for someone only interested in the Star Wars and slightly Marvel games but didn't want to buy those mostly ugly and expensive toys. Any chance for this releasing on PS4, too? Otherwise I might bite on Steam.

To contribute here, because I love those threads. The Soldak ARPGs are fun and unique in their approach. They mix diablo-like gameplay including leveling your character and lot's of loot with randomly generated 4X worlds where you can help/fight factions and were all your actions have impact on how the world evolves.

There are four different games in different settings. Depths of Peril and Din's Curse are fantasy, Drox Operative is sci-fi/space ship and Zombasite is with zombies. There is also some DLC for the games and even demo versions.

I only played Din's Curse and Drox Operative and they are both great:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/23600/Depths_of_Peril/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/217290/Dins_Curse/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/274480/Drox_Operative/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/408960/Zombasite/

Is Rabi-Ribi good? Like unironically good? It's one of the highest rated games on Steam, but I'm not sure if the reason for that is the quality of the game or the "waifus," I have just enough money in my Steam wallet to buy it as the last thing from this sale.

YES.

Surprisingly rock solid Metroidvania with great humour.

Victrix

*beard*
Looks so good, but I only play roguelikes on my MacBook Air for whatever reason, shame it's only XNA.

Edit: Maybe I'll pick it up since it has some controller support, I've been wanting to play a roguelike on my TV and couch, and I just don't think ToME will ever be the game to do that.

It probably runs in Wine? It's not a super demanding game, I've played it on my old ass laptop

(though hilariously it does run at 60fps, artifact of XNA maybe? dunno - it does contributes to the smooth feel of movement and combat, you wouldn't think it'd matter in a turn based game)

deadfolk

For anyone wanting a hilarious adventure game in the vein of the Lucasarts games, I highly recommend Paradigm.

paradigm-3671415.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/600370/Paradigm/

It tells the story of a horribly deformed mutant with a heart of gold who just wants to work on his EP, but is thrust into the position of the savior of the world.

The game came out recently, but it feels like it flew way under the radar. It's easily one of my favorites of 2017.

And there's a demo. The demo sold me on it. Very quirky.

Dr. A

Divinity Original Sin: Enhanced Edition

One of the best co-op turn-based RPGs.

I second this. Best turn-based combat I have ever encountered. Smart AI, environmental and elemental factors lead to emergent situations and you have to strategize accordingly. Fantastic game for co-op! My best friend and had a blast playing this.

I second this. Best turn-based combat I have ever encountered. Smart AI, environmental and elemental factors lead to emergent situations and you have to strategize accordingly. Fantastic game for co-op! My best friend and had a blast playing this.

I loved playing it solo. Also the controller controls they added are superb.

tanod

when is my burrito
Finally picked up the half life 2 and portal games on pc. Already bought them on 360 and ps3 so i can store away those discs now. Also picked up castlevania lords of shadow, deathspank and one finger death punch. All for $16.

Considering my last-gen collection complete now.

Vic_Viper

Highly recommend Styx for any fans of the Stealth genre. Both the original and the latest release deserve a lot more attention than they got and are probably the best true stealth games released in a long time.

There's a demo for the newest one also!

Master of Shadows is 5.99
Shards of Darkness is 23.99

Xanadu Next is on sale at 50%-off ($9.99). Definitely get this if you want tight-knit dungeon crawling with plenty of combat, interesting places, and a more subtle story than usual for a classic Falcom adventure.

This has gotten a few mentions already, but I just want to chime in and say this game is the real deal. Dungeon crawling, stat min-maxing goodness. Up there among Falcom's best games like "Ys: The Oath in Felghana" and "Ys: Origin". I ended up playing for two hours last night without even realizing where the time had gone.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Ive gone down a rabbit hole with this thread. You just start to realize the insane number of good games on steam and the variety of them. And steam has gotten real good with 'like' games and recommendations on store pages im finding stuff ive never heard of and then finding lets plays and shit confirming they are good. Needless to say i have spent hundreds this steam sale and i will probably play 10% of them. You see the real game is making the number grow.mmmmm....

javadoze

It's probably been recommended before, but I'll echo it once again.

Trails in the Sky FC $9.99 (50% off)
header.jpg

and

Trails in the Sky SC $19.49 (35% off)
header.jpg

In a year where Persona 5 has already been released, somehow the Trails games have made it on my map as bona fide cream-of-the-crop JRPGs.

Though they may look unimpressive from a technical standpoint, the real goldmine lies with the writing. The country of Liberl, the regions within, your party members, and even the NPCs you interact with are realized with some of the most minute attention to detail I've seen in the genre. Traveling throughout these regions, you gain an understanding of their industries, politics, and denizens. Your party members, while seemingly checking off the list of anime tropes, slowly unravel and reveal their hidden depth. Finally the NPCs don't just feel like robots designed to dispense information: they themselves react to events within the main story and have small personal stories intermingling and running parallel to it.

That's not even getting into the larger worldbuilding that takes place in regards to other countries within the world and how it sets up for future subseries (namely the Crossbell and the Coldsteel games).

So, even if you're remotely interested, take the plunge. And join the cult of Olivier Leinheim. The Trails games are true diamonds in the rough and deserve more recognition.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Any detective games? I mean games where you actually do investigations like in danganronpa games and sherlock holmes crime and punishment(are there other good sherlock holmes games?), not just adventure games around a mistery.

Excelsior

Party Panic - $11.38 (33% off)

header.jpg

Party Panic is a frenetic, Mario Party-style online and local-multiplayer party game (with an emphasis on the minigames rather than a huge board game). A ton of fun with friends. Check out the screenshots or YouTube videos and you'll see what I mean.

There is even a built in drinking game!

Dev is super transparent and great at communication, too - you as a community member could totally have a role in shaping how the final product will look. Check it out!

Top Bottom