• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurahador

Yeah, they ended up spending a lot more money on Broken Age than they really expected, even with how well the Kickstarter went. Doublefine is real good at going over budget to make the game they really want to make.

Not just them. Ragnar Tørnquist team who's currently making Dreamfall Chronicles also did the same.

Dreamfall Chronicles is now a 5 episodes game.

Help me PC GAF!

I really want to purchase the XCOM bundle that includes Enemy Unknown and Enemy Within, the only problem is that I'm using a laptop. Not even a gaming laptop. According to SystemRequirementsLab here are my specs compared to the minimum requirements:

Ram:
Min - 2GB
Me - 4GB

Video Card:
Pixel Shader Version:
Min -3.0
Me - 5.0

Vertex Shader Version:
Min - 3.0
Me - 5.0

Dedicated Video RAM:
Min - 256Mb
Me - 64Mb

Everything else (sound card, disk space, os, etc.) is fine. But that Dedicated Video RAM worries me. How bad will the game look/play if I use minimum settings? Is it worth it? I love XCOM and haven't played Enemy Within yet so I REALLY want to buy it. Help GAF!

XCOM uses Unreal Engine 3. Fire up any of those games (or a demo) and see if it works.

How old is your laptop? What's the processor and graphics chip?

Tizoc

Wolfenstein is definitely worth it for $30. One of the best games of the year.

Chivalry DLC 80% off! Picked that up. Also got Shadowrun Returns today. Picking up more games this sale than I realized.. which I guess is what normally happens.

Is Thief any good?

Not really, but it's fine for that price I'd say. Console people might like it but if you want a good Thief stealth game, go for the originals or Dishonored.

HoosTrax

So for someone's who never played them (and never played the genre), is Baldur's Gate good? How has it aged and it too daunting for a new player? Just got Shadorun Returns but I'm interested.
Baldur's Gate 1 is ok. The main reason to play it would be that it provides significant backstory for 2 (and your character gets ported over to the sequel).

The reason Baldur's Gate 2 is so highly regarded in my mind, is that it does such a good job of weaving a story centered around your custom character and appealing to that power fantasy aspect. There are a lot of little events and quests that happen, and the way other characters interact with you, that really make you feel like a force to be reckoned with and a major player in the setting.

2 is more memorable than 1 because the settings get much more varied, you become a lot more powerful, and the game just has a more varied scope in general. It feels like a far more "epic" game.

Tizoc

oh, ok.

DIE GREEN TEAM I HOPE YOU FINISH LAST I DONT CARE HAHAHAHAHHA

Our goddess would have words with you
tumblr_n6yqsmQ0281qfjqf7o1_r1_500.gif

The_Monk

I'm very sorry for not being much... Good luck!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Alan Wake's American Nightmare -- MB-6DD0EF8EC5C3B52A - Taken by Ozium. 13 entrants total.

t1403997745z1.png

gngf123

I doubt I'm going to buy any more, so this was my summer sale:

Marlow Briggs
Pool Nation
Cloudbuilt
Shogo: MAD (GOG)
Lyne

And then Wizardry 8 in a giveaway.

Pretty happy with that.

XCOM uses Unreal Engine 3. Fire up any of those games (or a demo) and see if it works.

How old is your laptop? What's the processor and graphics chip?

It's an Acer Aspire E1-572.
Processor: Intel Core i3-4010U CPU @ 1.70GHz

I got it this year but I don't think it's brand new considering all the new laptops have Windows 8 and this was still Windows 7. Maybe 09'? I don't use it for gaming so it wasn't an issue but damn I want XCOM!

yuraya

This has been a good all around sale. Yea there was a few days with silly repeats and terrible community vote decisions but outside of that everything has been solid. Quite a lot of new games or ones released in past month have had very legit discounts as well. The valiant hearts price error and laughing bundle has definitely been the biggest highlights so far imo.

StAidan

Guys, I don't think they did flash sales on recap day during the most recent winter sale. Which would mean there might only be 2 more flash sales left. Then recaps tomorrow @ 10am Pacific, then sale ends the following day (30th) @ 10am again.

Volcane

Help me PC GAF!

I really want to purchase the XCOM bundle that includes Enemy Unknown and Enemy Within, the only problem is that I'm using a laptop. Not even a gaming laptop. According to SystemRequirementsLab here are my specs compared to the minimum requirements:

Ram:
Min - 2GB
Me - 4GB

Video Card:
Pixel Shader Version:
Min -3.0
Me - 5.0

Vertex Shader Version:
Min - 3.0
Me - 5.0

Dedicated Video RAM:
Min - 256Mb
Me - 64Mb

Everything else (sound card, disk space, os, etc.) is fine. But that Dedicated Video RAM worries me. How bad will the game look/play if I use minimum settings? Is it worth it? I love XCOM and haven't played Enemy Within yet so I REALLY want to buy it. Help GAF!

What video card is it? I'm thinking it will run like crap, or the settings you'd have to run it at would look bad.

thebloo

I got it this year but I don't think it's brand new considering all the new laptops have Windows 8 and this was still Windows 7. Maybe 09'? I don't use it for gaming so it wasn't an issue but damn I want XCOM!

XCOM has a demo. Try that, see if it works.

pahamrick

Its hard to say, the intel onboard graphics is the sticking point. I'd suggest downloading the XCom demo and seeing how it runs, if at all.

Kanokare

Intel® HD Graphics 4400

Won't go far :/

Faerith

Neo Member
Since I needed to bump my purchase up by a few cents, I have an extra copy of below.
It's a nice little game.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Defy Gravity Extended -- MB-3572DBC89DA1BD94 - Taken by PandaPandaPanda. 10 entrants total.

t1403988126z1.png

Gangxxter

Intel® HD Graphics 4400

Won't go far :/
It could still run the Unreal Engine 3, but probably at a low frame rate. But I guess this is not a huge issue for a turn based strategy game like XCOM, is it?

As said, best advice is to download any Unreal Engine 3 (tech-)demo and try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom