• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam surpasses 33 million active users

JackSparr0w

Banned
Are we witnessing the end of consoles?

How can they compete with the popularity growth of the PC gaming juggernaut?

steam.jpg

Kacho

“We will expand our business for dedicated game consoles, which has been the mainstream up to now, but PC will be the mainstream in the future,” Tsujimoto told Nikkei. “Next year or the year after, we want to equalize the ratio of sales to PCs and dedicated consoles.”

buenoblue

There's room for everyone my friend. Choice is great 👍. Plus the majority of those gamers in steam are playing decade old free to play games, that's not a future I want lol.

theHFIC

Can you break down that Steam 33,000,000 online players number with how many of those machines are both hardware equivalent or better and sold since Nov 2020?

TrebleShot

Lol not yet.
But the speed in which high end PC evolve now and the power requires to push games at next gen frame rates it could be more popular in 10 or so years.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Are we witnessing the end of consoles?

How can they compete with the popularity growth of the PC gaming juggernaut?

steam.jpg

It's like. . .we actually don't have to post every thought we have. Every day I have hundreds of thoughts that I just know are pure gold - within the uncritical and agreeable space that is my brain.

. . .honestly "console" needs to be replaced with "platform" in the anti-warring definitions.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
This is low bait quality.

Everyone knows about the stock problems with the PS5, if you didn't know then the only excuse is if you went into coma shortly after the release of PS5 and just woke up checking Gaf as the first thing after your hiatus.

If that's the case, then I'm sorry and take everything back.

Banned
Great thanks! I knew this was a stupid topic for a reason but couldn’t put my finger on it.

I just looked up the list real quick and made a rough estimate, because I was curious as well now.

if we take 30 million users daily,
and we only add up thr percentages for people that use a desktop variant cards that are on par or better than the consoles (2070 or higher on Nvidia and the handful of AMD cards that fall into this), we have 16.72%,
this means daily users should be about 5 million desktop PCs that are as powerful or more powerful than a PS5.

but I only used RT capable cards in this.
if we add non RT accelerated cards we would also need to add the 1080ti and like 2 AMD 5000 series cards.

now if we look at monthly users, which are more than 130 million (these are the 2021 numbers I found, so should be even higher now),
then 16.72% of that is 21.73 million users each month with better or equal RT accelerated desktop PC GPUs used on Steam.

using Laptop hardware is less reliable to say, as the same GPU in one Laptop could be drastically less powerful than in another Laptop simply due to the power limit set by the manufacturer.

what also needs to be said is that you can get PS5 equivalent performance, with a small hit to image quality on many lower end RTX cards thanks to DLSS.
so you might have a situation where someone with a 3050 or 2060 card has almost the same visual experience as a PS5 user thanks to the better RT cores and DLSS.

and of course, PCs that can run all current gen titles is WAY bigger than that still.
the Series S equivalent or better cards added would mean anything above a GTX1070 would easily qualify

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
What with the stupid threads now? The weekend sure did a number on some of you. One giving up games for an expensive car, and one can't count.

Arun1910

Is there a "Dumbest thread of the Year" award here? I know we're only 8 days into 2023 but I think OP just won.

Last edited:
What? More people have PCs or laptops compared to gaming consoles I’d imagine. Doesn’t mean all of those have gaming PCs. Could be playing anything on there.

Top Bottom