• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Steam Winter Sale 2015] Indie-pendent Hidden Gem Recommendations

So many games in the OT here. Here are some I feel are absolute must-plays:

Lovely Planet - $2.99 (50% off) - Lightning-fast first person platformer-shooter. Don't let the weird cutesy veneer fool you. It's tough and so so satisfying
Capsule - $1.99 (60% off) - Stellar sound design brings this minimalist experience of exploration and survival to life. Just don't suffocate out there in the void
Glitchspace - $9.74 (25% off) - Forget portals; think with programming. An excellent first-person puzzler with a sleek visual-programming mechanic
CrimsonLand - $6.99 (50% off) - An excellent dual stick shooter, with a plethora of guns, a smattering of RPG-ness with perks and unlocks, and tons of alien viscera to soak the ground
NaissanceE - $4.79 (68% off) - One of the most atmospheric games I have ever played. The cavernous monolithic otherworldly, environments and the pervasive sense of being lost and alone make this first-person platformer/puzzler an incredible experience

---

And some indie deals to check out:

Besiege - $5.59 (30% off)
9AA3E7F6FCA7038121359B35C7EB83450229B568

http://store.steampowered.com/app/346010/

Besiege takes the vehicle construction you love from games like Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts and injects it with a dose of physics, blood, and medieval destruction, as you build powerful siege engines to level castles and lay waste to armies.

Creeper World 3: Arc Eternal - $4.94 (67% off)
ss_29a4c873e802fcc4b0c4c793130424b807896920.1920x1080.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/280220

A deep and surprisingly offensive tower defense game. You'll need to construct power networks and supplies lines, establish beachheads, terraform the maps, and push the frontlines in your battle against the fluid Creeper foe.

Swapperoo - $6.99 (30% off)
ss_c40657d0086a8606d8ee0deefd93625f2ec2890a.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/410150

A unique take on the match-3 puzzler from the devs of the Quell series. Making matches aren't enough; you need to strategically move tiles that can only move in certain directions, carefully deal with destructive sawblade tiles, locked tiles, tiles that self-destruct the board after a number of turns, tiles that need to protected, and much more.

Volume - $9.99 (50% off)
ss_8b7f418e28abe3bfee82970fd6241799ce39109c.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/365770

A slick stealth puzzler that harkens back to old school Metal Gear Solid. Figuring out how to outmanuver guards and traps with gadgets and speed is always satisfying throughout the game's 100 levels

The Sun and Moon - $3.49 (50% off)
JadedPopularCrownofthornsstarfish.gif

http://store.steampowered.com/app/321560

It's a stylish precision platformer from the dev of RogueLight, with a vibrant art style, great level design, and a cool mechanic of fluidly phasing through the environments to gain momentum.

Hard West - $13.99 (30% off)
ss_2ef805bbf4b6555f8b671a86a1bb04c6d023bd98.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/307670

Turn-based tactical combat in the supernatural Wild West. With hard-hitting bullets and no overwatch, the game's focus on flanking, positioning, and smart use of otherworldly abilities makes for a tactical experience more akin to chess than XCOM

RETSNOM - $1.24 (75% off)
FlatAdorableIzuthrush.gif

http://store.steampowered.com/app/382920/

A puzzle platformer where you bend the level to your will through a unique mirroring mechanic. Alter the level geometry, swap gravity, and more, with a dash of combat and zombies as well

Dreavus

Love these threads.

I have Oniken and Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe lined up, probably more before the end of the sale.

Really happy to see One Way Heroics in the recommendation list too. I just started playing that game yesterday and I am having a blast with it.

Tizoc

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I have a question, maybe someone can help.

What's the better game:

Sublevel Zero

or

GalakZ

They're both at the same price (11.99), but I'm not sure which is the better choice. I have an appreciation for true roguelite systems (Spelunky with it's lack of unlocks/grinds compared to to the way Rogue Legacy works)

Mechazawa

Duck Game - $9.74 (25% off)
ThoughtfulOblongBlesbok.gif

http://store.steampowered.com/app/312530/

While there's no shortage of competitive couch multiplayer games, Duck Game separates itself from it's peers by going all the way Stupid in it's presentation and weapon pickups(i.e. it's an Adult Swim Games published joint, so naturally, there's a stage where Quad Laser bullets are perpetually shooting across the stage), without sacrificing any of the fidelity or tightness of controls you would want from such a game. Originally an OUYA game, but ported to Steam with a very commendable Online component among other enhancements.

PS: Best Hats Any Game

Nyx

Thanks Toma, you just made me buy another 4 games in this sale. ((Eador, Grand Ages Rome, Highlands and Robin Hood : The Legend of Sherwood)

Joco

Love reading these types of theads full of indie games I've never heard of. Definitely going to try a bunch out. Thanks for the effort OP, it's appreciated.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I knew you couldn't resist posting this thread!

Amazing work as always

Yeah, the first three people who asked me about it got the answer that I only did the summer sale threads so far.. after the next few, I decided to just get over it and do it.
Certainly will help for the next thread that Tomabot is now properly upgraded though.

So many games I never knew I wanted.Toma for President.Can't believe I've never played Jamestown,hell of a shooter.

Oh and apologies for putting 7th in the thread,I put it down to two things...wine and not reading the thread properly.So sorry :(

Why is Reveal the Deep not on the list here? I know it doesn't have a deep discount but it costs almost nothing anyway..

Also, I'm considering buying my dad a game on this sale. He loves puzzlers, things like MahJong, Chess, Sudoku. Back in the days of old when he used to play he loved Sokoban, Boulder Dash, and Lemmings. I'm sure there are many great indie games he would love but I'm out of touch with these kinds of games. All recommendations would be welcome.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Why is Reveal the Deep not on the list here? I know it doesn't have a deep discount but it costs almost nothing anyway..

Also, I'm considering buying my dad a game on this sale. He loves puzzlers, things like MahJong, Chess, Sudoku. Back in the days of old when he used to play he loved Sokoban, Boulder Dash, and Lemmings. I'm sure there are many great indie games he would love but I'm out of touch with these kinds of games. All recommendations would be welcome.
Because I havent added games that released in the past 6 months yet.

And:
ss_19263022e94f4718cb57d88bd23620cb8956acc0.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/32150/

Your dad is now set for life. Fantastic game.

Haunted

Toma and More_Badass putting in WORK. Well done, gents.

I don't think every game mentioned here is a real winner, but the breadth and variety on display (for these prices) is pretty insane.

What's the better game:

Sublevel Zero

or

GalakZ

They're both at the same price (11.99), but I'm not sure which is the better choice. I have an appreciation for true roguelite systems (Spelunky with it's lack of unlocks/grinds compared to to the way Rogue Legacy works)
That's tough. I actually just got Sublevel a few days ago, and it's so good

I love both games. It depends on what kind of experience you're looking for. Despite its outward appearance, Galak-Z is actually quite focused on stealth and caution. Enemies have sight cones, investigate noises, and patrol areas, Rushing into combat is a good way to die very fast. Galak-Z is more about careful exploration, using the environment and enemy AI against each other (factions will fight each other), and delicate control of thrust so you don't smash into walls or alert patrolling enemies. Oh, there's definitely gorgeous arcade action and spectacular missile barrages, but that typically comes after you've carefully flanked enemies and got the jump on them. Actually sometimes it's better to flee than fight

Sublevel Zero also has a element of cautious, careful exploration, but you won't be worrying about stealth here
Sublevel Zero is all about the thrill of rushing down claustrophobic tunnels and unleashing a storm of energy and missiles on your enemies. Sometimes offense is the best defense and when you low on health and all you have is a shredder shotgun and some missiles, you're going to have boost into the fray, weave between bullets, and unload at close range. Every weapon feels powerful and allows for different playstyles, from long-distance sniper to close range annihilator wielding a flamethrower and shotgun.

As for which is more "roguelike", personally I'd say Sublevel Zero. It captures that tension of the unknown, that desperate thrill of "I don't know what's around the next corner, but I'm going to tackle it with whatever I have". There's far more on-the-fly improvisation in Sublevel Zero; you have to make due with whatever weapons you come across, so your tactics are always shifting depending on your arsenal.

While Galak-Z definitely has more persistence, and more options for customizing your loadout, it's also more sedate, more forgiving in a way. You can run away, hide, turn into a mech, attack from a different angle. Sublevel Zero, the only way to succeed is to suck it up, consider what weapons you have at the moment, and face what lies ahead.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member

I love both games. It depends on what kind of experience you're looking for. Despite its outward appearance, Galak-Z is actually quite focused on stealth and caution. Enemies have sight cones, investigate noises, and patrol areas, Rushing into combat is a good way to die very fast. Galak-Z is more about careful exploration, using the environment and enemy AI against each other (factions will fight each other), and delicate control of thrust so you don't smash into walls or alert patrolling enemies. Oh, there's definitely gorgeous arcade action and spectacular missile barrages, but that typically comes after you've carefully flanked enemies and got the jump on them. Actually sometimes it's better to flee than fight

Sublevel Zero also has a element of cautious, careful exploration, but you won't be worrying about stealth here

Sublevel Zero is all about the thrill of rushing down claustrophobic tunnels and unleashing a storm of energy and missiles on your enemies. Sometimes offense is the best defense and when you low on health and all you have is a shredder shotgun and some missiles, you're going to have boost into the fray, weave between bullets, and unload at close range. Every weapon feels powerful and allows for different playstyles, from long-distance sniper to close range annihilator wielding a flamethrower and shotgun.

As for which is more "roguelike", personally I'd say Sublevel Zero. It captures that tension of the unknown, that desperate thrill of "I don't know what's around the next corner, but I'm going to tackle it with whatever I have". There's far more on-the-fly improvisation in Sublevel Zero; you have to make due with whatever weapons you come across, so your tactics are always shifting depending on your arsenal.

While Galak-Z definitely has more persistence, and more options for customizing your loadout, it's also more sedate, more forgiving in a way. You can run away, hide, turn into a mech, attack from a different angle. Sublevel Zero, the only way to succeed is to suck it up, consider what weapons you have at the moment, and face what lies ahead.

Thanks for the great response. I like the sound of factions and stealth so I think i'll opt for Galak-Z. I'll definitely pick up Sublevel Zero later at another sale.

cptodin

Uh, Sublevel Zero looks really interesting, thanks.

Uh, Sublevel Zero looks really interesting, thanks.
Yeah, it's great. These impressions sold me on the game
In hindsight, it feels obvious. The joy of single-player Descent was always about tumbling through space, trying to get a bead on the vicious robots trying to kill you while dodging laser fire and spoofing homing missiles. But the most tense moments--and often the most thrilling ones--were when you were down to a sliver of life, desperately trying to stay alive long enough to find a shield powerup and hoping the robots around the next corner wouldn't flay you alive. Imagine a Descent successor that distilled the single-player campaign down to the moments where your life hangs in the balance, and you have Sublevel Zero.

The biggest thing Sublevel Zero gets right is the feeling of movement. Like the official modernization of the Descent formula, Descent Underground, but unlike so many other six-degrees-of-freedom games, Sublevel Zero nails the sensation of zooming through claustrophobic mine tunnels in a zero-g fighter ship. The second biggest thing Sublevel Zero gets right, though, is in carving out its own unique identity. It's a roguelike, you see, so death is permanent. There's that desperation again, built right into the game design. Randomness is part of Sublevel Zero's DNA as well: all the levels are procedurally generated, and your arsenal of weapons is completely dependent on what you find scattered about and what you can craft. Even the nanocarts you earn at the end of a level are randomized, meaning you can never be quite sure what benefits will be open to you each time.

Because there's so much uncertainty to each run, and because you only have one life to live, improvisation is the name of the game. This helps solve one small issue with Descent's campaigns, which is that sometimes the variety of weapons feels superfluous. The bread and butter weapons like the plasma, quad lasers and vulcan/gauss were often all you needed, leaving the more exotic weapons to collect dust. In Sublevel Zero, sometimes you have no choice but to pick up that Firebolt or those grenades and figure out the best way to use them.

I've played a bunch of roguelikes in my time, but most of them never managed to click with me. Either they felt too much like the product of luck, or they required skills that I didn't really have and didn't feel like training for (hello, every platformer roguelike ever). Sublevel Zero is the first roguelike where I felt like I could reach the end even from the very beginning of the game, once I learned the patterns and remembered how to fly properly. It never once felt unfair, and even when I made dumb mistakes (ask me about my RAGEQUIT achievement) it was easy to start again and hope this run would be the one. More than any other game to date, Sublevel Zero is the inheritor to the Descent legacy. Sigtrap should be proud.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Since it so rarely gets talked about I'll throw in another recommendation for Nimbus, which is on sale for $2.50 and is the best late 90s shareware game released in 2010 I've played. The core gameplay is a very solid physics puzzler with some great level design, but if you have any nostalgia for the late 90s early 2000s downloadable software scene there's some additional fun to be had with how much the graphics, sound design and interface resemble one of those

Thea: The Awakening - $15.99 (20% off)

ss_b71a41d3af89ccac330763fe1baadad2b2d6d6c7.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/378720/

Have you ever wondered what would happen if you crossed Civilization, Rogue, and Card Battling Games? No? Then you should, and if you have, Thea: The Awakening is that game. The tutorial isn't the best, but once you get into the game, it's fantastically addictive, and the ultimate in "one more turn" since when you "lose" you have meta-level progress that carries over. Also based on Slavic mythology, which isn't something you see often.

What's the better game:

Sublevel Zero

or

GalakZ

I have to say Sublevel Zero. Galak-Z has an amazing flight and combat model that feels really good but just not enough variety. You go through the same two level sets over and over (I even got the exact same layout twice in a row once) and fight the same groups of enemies. The upgrades to the ship aren't as significant and game changing as they are in SL0.

SL0 has just so much more variety in it's level designs and tilesets and is all done in in 3d environments. It also has absolutely TONS of enemy variants that actually change up the gameplay. Everything from shotgun dudes who rush you to mine layers to railgun snipers and wall-crawling tanks.

If Galak-Z had more variety too its roguelike nature it would be one of my favorite of the year but it just let me down in that respect and I have no desire to replay it after I beat it. SL0 is a game I am always going back to. It helps that they absolutely nailed the controls and 6dof feel and it's so simple and fast to get into and start flying rather than load up some old descent with all the jank that comes with that.

Some more indie gems:

NEO Scavenger - $7.49 (50%)
ss_f72c7858ecc10a74598c6fa198203e75dd65db05.1920x1080.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/248860/

This game. Man, this game. It's a bleak gritty post-apocalyptic roguelike with a focus on realistic survival and easily one of the most intense and immersive experiences you'll find in the genre. The combat is ruthless and brutal, akin to the quick violent encounters seen in The Road or No Country, and survival is a matter of wrapping wounds to ward off infection and going to sleep with appropriate warmth and shelter so you don't freeze to death overnight

I can't praise this game enough. It's gripping and intense, and the world is fascinating, filled with scavengers and otherworldly monstrosities. The depth here is outstanding. Moving across the map leaves tracks that fade away dynamically based on the terrain and weather. Enemies can follow you if you don't cover your tracks, but you can do the same to them. Making a campfire on a open field with little cover might keep you warm, but you'll be visible to roaming enemies. Having an athletic perk can provide the option of diving through a window, but make sure to treat the ensuing cuts or else you'll probably die from those exposed wounds.

Combat is flavor text and choices, but the options here make every encounter feel like a desperate life-and-death slugfest. If you get knocked down, you can choose to roll out of the way or pull the enemy down to the ground. You can take cover and hide, surrender, try to force enemies to surrender, bluff enemies into surrendering with an empty gun. Shatter an broken bottle on an enemy's head and you'll be left with a glass shard to defend yourself. Try to make a desperate retreat on rough terrain and you may trip, break a rib, get knocked unconscious.

I remember one playthrough. Suffering from infection, down to a glass shard, I attempted a desperate ambush on a pair of bandits for their supplies. One went down in the struggle, the other left me for dead in the rain with broken ribs and fractured skull. I don't last the night

Deadcore - $2.49 (75% off)
AdmiredPeriodicAmericancrow.gif

http://store.steampowered.com/app/284460/

A speedrunning first-person platformer with tight controls, inventive level design, and a pretty cool sci-fi aesthetic

Prophour23 - $3.99 (60% off)
FrequentWateryAmericanindianhorse.gif

http://store.steampowered.com/app/317610/

A weird organic take on tower defense. Swarms of bugs want to devour your heart; grow organs and thorns to stop them. Muscles power screaming faces and hands. Rib cages create barriers of bone. Livers, lungs, and more round out your biological arsenal

Sang Froid: Tales of Werewolves - $2.24 (85% off)
ss_3e43f0db754a065088488400eb23a1321c7c5172.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/227220/

Tower defense (kind of) meets third-person shooter meets survival horror-ish tension. When a wolf pack is circling you as you're desperately reloading your single-shot musket as the bonfire grows dimmer by the second, you'll understand why Sang Froid is so damn tense and challenging

So many wonderful titles... Big thanks for including The Pit in there, that damn game is incredible despite its o-k graphics.

Gnomoria looks like it's going to steal my soul since I've been flirting with Dwarf Fortress...

Wingus

The sequel to 100000000 'You Must Build a Boat' is also on sale at 50% off.

I believe this one is rated highly in the iOS threads on GAF :)

aku:jiki

No love for Environmental Station Alpha up in here?

It's that other 8-bit-ish Metroid tribute this year, the one that isn't Axiom Verge and isn't getting any attention because Axiom Verge. I would give the victory to AV as well, but if you've already beaten that, ESA is absolutely worth checking out. It's probably the hardest Metroidalike I've ever seen, in both the action mechanics and the exploration and figuring out what to do. If you've ever felt the genre to be lacking in challenge, check this out.

Just be ready to get stuck very often. Like all the time. I'm not kidding, you will be frustrated and you will flip tables. Then you finally find the path again and can't stop playing until you hit the next wall.

GuessWho

is Besiege taxing on the computer?
I have a AMD phenom II X4 955 processor 3.2 ghz with 4gb ram and 560ti. Should I be able to run it at 30-60fps?

Reviews plucked from Steam itself.

2808426-2808123-gsplays_sunlesssea_20150212.jpg

Sunless Sea - OT
(50% off for $9.49)

This game is a long, slow hard crawl along ground strewn with glass shards from bottles that used to hold precious souls. You'll get invested. You'll name your siloutte character something cutsesy or weird. You'll go from struggling to find food or fuel without eating your crew mates or poking through places best left forgotten, to cursing the damn admiral for hiding his state secrets in remote deadlands and frenzying with fury as the damn golem cargo start trying to sink you, to finally being on the path to Victory and getting close to discovering what happened to your fathers bones.

Then you'll take a wrong turn, break concentration, wander to close to a living Mountain and die in the flash of a tentacle, leaving your heir with a pittance of the value the bizaar has dragged from purse against your wishes throughout your zee career.

It's all worth it. This game is glorious, but not for everyone.

Odallus The Dark Call- OT
(45% off for $8.24)

I think anyone who loves retro style games will love everything Odallus has to offer. With Shovel Knight giving a resurgence to these style of games. It really deserves your attention if you are looking for something similar. While the game isn't super innovative, it masters the features that we have all come to love and expect from these types of games. From classic power ups, chiptunes, and great pixel art, Odallus brings back the old school flair with style.

is Besiege taxing on the computer?
I have a AMD phenom II X4 955 processor 3.2 ghz with 4gb ram and 560ti. Should I be able to run it at 30-60fps?
I'm on a laptop with an Intel i5 and Intel HD 5500, and the game runs pretty smoothly even at max settings. The devs switched to Unity 5 earlier and that improved the performance and optimization dramatically.

autoduelist

I would like to suggest a game I absolutely love -- a true gem, and one that is truly original.

SanctuaryRPG: Black Edition
$3.99 (normally $7.99)

It's hard to describe such a unique game -- it's essentially a roguelike, but instead of exploring top down dungeons you explore beautiful ascii landscapes and make lots of important decisions. Combat is where this game shines even brighter -- instead of lots of fodder combat, you basically only fight 'big'/important life or death combat with hard enemies [for example, 'exploring' a ruin may be 2 hard combats with a couple multiple choice path/choice decisions mixed in with a big boss battle at the end to get a big reward, then back to camp to figure out what you want to do next]. And combat is so well designed, it's unlike any other game -- imagine that every move you make, combined with what the enemy does, opens up new sets of moves on the following turn. You build combos by successfully attacking and/or blocking, and each situation opens up new movesets -- the depth is incredible, and opens up even more as you level and customize your character. Add in crafting, hidden paths in the ascii art, and other mechanics and it's been a favorite of mine since I first took a chance on it.

combat.png

--see all those available moves? They'll be different next time, based on what happened this round -- if you were blocked, or if you blocked them, or if you started a combo, or did a move to set up a big attack... etc, etc. ['starter' next to some means they can start combos, each giving new possibilites]

SanctuaryRPG-Black-Edition-Gaming-Cypher-4.png

I'm kinda posting this around, but what good 2-3 player games are around that fit the following criteria-

1. Local multiplayer (same or split screen or a-sync I don't care, but easy enough)
2. Fun with at least two, better if three?
3. You can play on steam link with the combination of one steam controller and 1-2 xbox 360 controllers

Just got a steam link and want to play more multiplayer. I know Indie games sometimes have really cool ideas for multiplayer. I'm happy with co-op, competitive, or anything in between :)

cptodin

I just played my first game of Sublevel Zero and it's amazing. I rellay dig the movement it's precise but still has some inertia with it.
My laptop is a little underpowered though, so I have to wait until I get home again to play it on my PC.

And even more stellar indies

Cryptark - $8.70 (33% off)
h2uIviH.gif

http://store.steampowered.com/app/344740

Piloting a heavily-armed mech suit, you must explore derelict ships teeming with defenses and enemies. An insane amount of customization, satisfyingly powerful weapons, and a gorgeous artstyle makes each firefight a chaotic and gripping spectacle

Cryptark is fantastic, and even though it's Early Access, it's up there with the likes of Prison Architect and Darkest Dungeon as super-polished, content-rich Early Access titles.

Each ship interior features an array of unique defense systems From shield generators and repair systems that fix destroyed systems to turrets and map jammers, these defenses can easily overwhelm you if they aren't dealt with. You don't have to destroy every system though; choosing which to prioritize and which order to disable them is the key to success in Cryptark. But the security systems aren't the only dangers. Mechanical organisms roam the vessels, ranging from massive sawblades to shielded Juggernauts that unleash powerful scatter shots. However, you're more than capable of matching enemy firepower with your own arsenal.

Your mech has four weapon slots, four items slots, and an extensive array of equipment to mix and match. Smart machine guns whose bullets can curve around corners, nuke rockets, slime mortars that unleash corrosive fluid, EMP shotguns, lightning guns, lasers, flamethrowers, shields, and much more. You can dual- or even quad-wield weapons too, unleashing a storm of lead to annihilate your enemies.

It's in the midst of that chaos that Cryptark shines. Your firepower feels heavy and powerful, and deftly evading projectiles, lasers, and charging enemies is just as satisfying. Visually, the action pops with vibrant colors and lighting, illuminating the dark interiors with explosions and flames and lasers.

Jotun - $9.99 (30% off)
UAwyLHp.gif

http://store.steampowered.com/app/323580

Jotun brings the lands and deities of Norse myth to gorgeous life through hand-drawn animations and vivid art designs. Armed with only your battle axe, agility, and powers from the gods, you explore unique realms and face towering elemental giants

Starship Rubicon - $3.99 (60% off)
7Mi1Z0i.gif

http://store.steampowered.com/app/372030

A thrilling space shoot-em-up with rogue-lite elements, featuring a deep build-a-ship mechanic that lets you customize your playstyle with guns, abilities, and perks ranging from gravity guns and teleporting to enhanced shields and auto-targeting protection drones

The Masterplan - $4.99 (75% off)
4HAUFnG.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/313080

A tactical heist game with a cool comic book-esque art style. Lead your crew of thieves and criminals on tense robberies across the city, guns blazing or acting with the caution and stealth of a master thief

I love the amount of quality games you can find in this thread :)
Makes the whole "PD doesn't have the genre I like" kind of pointless.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I have to say Sublevel Zero. Galak-Z has an amazing flight and combat model that feels really good but just not enough variety. You go through the same two level sets over and over (I even got the exact same layout twice in a row once) and fight the same groups of enemies. The upgrades to the ship aren't as significant and game changing as they are in SL0.

SL0 has just so much more variety in it's level designs and tilesets and is all done in in 3d environments. It also has absolutely TONS of enemy variants that actually change up the gameplay. Everything from shotgun dudes who rush you to mine layers to railgun snipers and wall-crawling tanks.

If Galak-Z had more variety too its roguelike nature it would be one of my favorite of the year but it just let me down in that respect and I have no desire to replay it after I beat it. SL0 is a game I am always going back to. It helps that they absolutely nailed the controls and 6dof feel and it's so simple and fast to get into and start flying rather than load up some old descent with all the jank that comes with that.

Ok you sold me - switching my purchase to SL0! I just came off of Helldivers which suffers from a similar issue of repetitiveness, which also killed the game for me. I just scrolled down and saw Cryptark..have you played that as well? Is it the game you wished Galak-Z to be?

What's PD?

he probably meant PC

Ok you sold me - switching my purchase to SL0! I just came off of Helldivers which suffers from a similar issue of repetitiveness, which also killed the game for me. I just scrolled down and saw Cryptark..have you played that as well? Is it the game you wished Galak-Z to be?

he probably meant PC
Right

And yeah, from the comments I've seen in the Cryptark thread and elsewhere, it's the kind of game that people were expecting Galak-Z to be.

Blackwell series is a great P&C adventure games. The story is pretty short except for the last game -- Epiphany.

I'm gonna pick up Epiphany, because I really liked every one of the games before it. Widjet Eye did a great job. I definitely echo your sentiment.

I'll finish off that series, then play Life is Strange, then Tales from the Borderlands. This sale = what a ride.

Top Bottom