• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Steam Winter Sale 2015] Indie-pendent Hidden Gem Recommendations

Haunted

I posted this in the Steam thread as well, but since Master Spy is a recommendation in this thread, I wanted to highlight RAC's original score for the game.

The game itself (a fast-paced twitch platformer with quick restarts and a stealth/noir aesthetic) is good, but the electronic soundtrack is absolutely fucking spectacular. I tabbed out of the game a while ago but I've been listening to the full album all night. :D

You can listen to it on the Soundcloud above and it's 50% off on Steam.

aku:jiki

I plan on playing ESA during the next sale, or when it drops a tiny bit more. I'm currently in the middle of Finding Teddy 2, and I can only take so much at one time.
Yeah, I hear that. I normally would too but I took the plunge on ESA because I was really bored with the sale and I was very happy with it. How is FT2 anyway? What is that thing in the trailer where a box with colored buttons pops up?

More like Metroid-esque. It's not exactly a new word. -esque is the suffix and can be used with anything. Castlevania-esque. Dark Souls-esque. Arkham Asylum-esque. Metroid-esque
Sure, that's exactly why I like it more than Metroidvania. It's a common term and while "Metroidvania" is confusing, as evidenced by the fact that almost no one uses it correctly, everyone gets "Metroidesque". We need to start a movement here!

Nabs

Yeah, I hear that. I normally would too but I took the plunge on ESA because I was really bored with the sale and I was very happy with it. How is FT2 anyway? What is that thing in the trailer where a box with colored buttons pops up?

Sure, that's exactly why I like it more than Metroidvania. It's a common term and while "Metroidvania" is confusing, as evidenced by the fact that almost no one uses it correctly, everyone gets "Metroidesque". We need to start a movement here!

It's okay so far. I haven't gained a lot of interesting tools yet, and the combat isn't that interesting. I am enjoying it, though. The game is very pretty, and it feels good to play. That box that pops up is a music/language box. You talk to NPCs and learn their language. You then use that thing to play back certain words. You can use it to answer questions, open doors, or reveal secrets.

I got lucky and found it for $5 at IGS, that's what broke me.

Nokterian

g7Ta2VN.png

So I just decided it annoys me to no end that Cubesis has "mixed" reviews (20 reviews so far). Definitely doesnt deserve that. I'll gift out 8 or so copies of Cubesis for impressions here (and preferably steam reviews to push up that review average, if you like it). Preferably send me your email address via PM.

Just be aware that its a rather challenging puzzle game, requiring a lot of micromanagement. If you like digging into a games mechanics and dont necessarily need the satisfaction to finish a level within 5 minutes or mind replaying a level until you figure out how to solve it, this might be for you.

Please dont take a copy if you have the attention span of a fish :p

Don't know if you still have a copy left i want to try it for sure :)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Has anyone played Europa universalis iv? Looks just like the type of game used to love.

Its an amazing game and probably the best game to dive into the Paradox Grand Strategy genre. You can play it for hundreds of hours, and likely will if you like it.

Moobabe

Guys, I'm on the fence about into the stars
http://store.steampowered.com/app/360510/

Anyone played this game?

I played it. It... hmm. It has a few problems. Despite being gorgeous and offering an awesome sense of scale it also has one of the worst UIs I can remember, it didn't have anything in the way of a tutorial (but I think it does now?) and the combat system is more akin to an obtuse JRPG than anything you're probably expecting.

I did only play it in the earliest of early access though so maybe a bunch of stuff has improved - but looking at other people's reviews (plus I thought it might have discounted more) I can't really recommend it.

Senhua

I played it. It... hmm. It has a few problems. Despite being gorgeous and offering an awesome sense of scale it also has one of the worst UIs I can remember, it didn't have anything in the way of a tutorial (but I think it does now?) and the combat system is more akin to an obtuse JRPG than anything you're probably expecting.

I did only play it in the earliest of early access though so maybe a bunch of stuff has improved - but looking at other people's reviews (plus I thought it might have discounted more) I can't really recommend it.

Thank you for the valuable insight, I will wait then.

GHG

My contribution:

Leo's Fortune HD Edition

http://store.steampowered.com/app/355630/

leos-fortune-hd-edition-screenshot-04-ps4-us-24aug15

leos-fortune-hd-edition-screenshot-03-ps4-us-24aug15

leos-fortune-hd-edition-screenshot-07-ps4-us-24aug15

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mjsHy5yGhc8

Currently 50% off ($3.49)

This might be a HD port of an IOS game but don't be put off. Fantastic and charming little platformer/puzzle platformer even if it's a little on the short side. Well worth the price it is at the moment if you want a 2D side scrolling platformer that is highly intuitive and has intricate puzzles. Love the art style as well.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks guys for this thread, i have put a few games in my cart and the other went into my wishlist. So many games cool games i wish i had a stable job to buy like a ton.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, Her Story seems to be one buggy mess at the moment. Can't play it, videos crash/won't play/only play garbaged sound, tried various codec things but nothing seems to help. The Steam forums are full of complaints either, should have checked beforehand :/

I won't hassle with a refund for like 3 bucks, but it's still somewhat annoying.

Edit: Screw it, refunded. A game I don't like is one thing, a game I can not play is not worth 3.50€ :/

Nokterian

yasu151

I got a $20 gift card for Christmas. After careful consideration and review, I've picked up:

Portal 2
Toki Tori 2+
Ys The Oath in Felghana
Bionic Commando
La-Mulana
Worms Armageddon
RetroGrade
PixelJunk Shooter

I'm much looking forward to digging into these, especially since I have kiddos old enough to play with (and often better than) me. Thanks much for the recommendations; it made sifting through the myriad of sale items far simpler.

I learned of so many great games here. A bit shocking how many great games get lost out of sight so easily. Thanks for all your wok Toma & MoreBadass!

Macheezmo

So many great games to add to my wishlist. On one note, the game that's listed as "Sequence" in the list is actually called "Beyond the Echo" now. I picked it up since I love music games and I'm having a ton of fun with it.

Are there any good cheap driving games in the sale that anyone has played? Like, Destruction Derby type driving games? I saw one, but IIRC it was like $20 even after the sale price.

Guys, I'm on the fence about into the stars
http://store.steampowered.com/app/360510/

Anyone played this game?

I have, for quite a few hours since it entered Early Access. It's a real time FTL-like game, you fly your huge mothership through space and fight off enemies in static battles, encounter random events, gather resources and complete text-based quests on planets. It's a cool concept but I have several issues with the actual game. Flying the ship is cumbersome, it moves really slowly and the map is mostly empty of content. Combat is much simpler than FTL and it's lacking in depth, you are constantly facing the same enemies. Gathering resources is a chore and managing your crew and civilian population is barebones.

As I said the concept is very cool but at the moment the game is 90% busywork and waiting for something to happen and 10% actual fun, while something like FTL is a far more distilled experience. I think the game needs a radical redesign.

I recommend The Amber Throne, is a really beautiful 2d jrpg. The game features turn based combat; a simple, but effective skill system; enemies have different stances and with the skill system offers some strategy elements; the characters are diverse and fun; and the backgrounds are painted witch makes the game beautiful and gives it an unique look. It is a really fun 10-15 hours adventure.

titch

I learned of so many great games here. A bit shocking how many great games get lost out of sight so easily. Thanks for all your wok Toma & MoreBadass!

Man once you go down the rabbit hole that is the indie game threads you realise how much unrecognised talent is out there - and dont even get me started on the free stuff out there.

Lafazar

I just finished a really nice horror adventure game from my backlog and would recommend it wholeheartedly. It's clearly an older game made on a shoestring budget. It's also quite short (Took me roughly 4h) and a little buggy (save frequently!), but I really loved the atmosphere and story. At least in the original German, I don't know how well the English dub holds up:

Looks like there is currently a bundle where you can get it for a measly 1$:
https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/fully-loaded-2-bundle

If you like the art direction, you might also take a look at Venetica, a really quirky and unique action-RPG from the same developer:

baconcow

Picked up Darkest Dungeon, Sunless Sea, Don't Starve - Reign of Giants (have it on PS4 and Vita, but thought I would get it on PC), Don't Starve - Shipwrecked, and Kerbal Space Program.

Looking at getting a roguelike RPG (not something like Spelunky or FLT, which I already have). Three titles keep coming up in forums; ADOM (Ancient Domains of Mystery), Tales of Maj'Eyal, and Caves of Qud. I like the look of Caves of Qud a lot more, but IO recognize it is highly unfinished. TOME is hard to look at, but I heard that it had better tilesets available. Any input about these three roguelikes? Thanks.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Picked up Darkest Dungeon, Sunless Sea, Don't Starve - Reign of Giants (have it on PS4 and Vita, but thought I would get it on PC), Don't Starve - Shipwrecked, and Kerbal Space Program.

Looking at getting a roguelike RPG (not something like Spelunky or FLT, which I already have). Three titles keep coming up in forums; ADOM (Ancient Domains of Mystery), Tales of Maj'Eyal, and Caves of Qud. I like the look of Caves of Qud a lot more, but IO recognize it is highly unfinished. TOME is hard to look at, but I heard that it had better tilesets available. Any input about these three roguelikes? Thanks.

In my opinion, Tales of Maj' Eyal is the best roguelike package (as in all things considered) out there. Also, click this post.

Lafazar

Oldie from the DOS era that is really unique:

It's an FPS-adventure game with numerous FMV sequences and a really well written story. There is simply nothing else like this out there.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
My contribution:

Leo's Fortune HD Edition

http://store.steampowered.com/app/355630/

This might be a HD port of an IOS game but don't be put off. Fantastic and charming little platformer/puzzle platformer even if it's a little on the short side. Well worth the price it is at the moment if you want a 2D side scrolling platformer that is highly intuitive and has intricate puzzles. Love the art style as well.

Ok this game is pretty fun, and gorgeous. Thanks :)

I recommend The Amber Throne, is a really beautiful 2d jrpg. The game features turn based combat; a simple, but effective skill system; enemies have different stances and with the skill system offers some strategy elements; the characters are diverse and fun; and the backgrounds are painted witch makes the game beautiful and gives it an unique look. It is a really fun 10-15 hours adventure.

Looks like a cool game, I should check it out, but will probably buy it next sale, I've got enough games picked out as it is. I'm glad for the wishlist function, crazy that PSN only got it recently!

I just want to thank the creator of this thread and everyone who recommended games that I've decided to buy in this sale like The Beginner's Guide, Recettear and Environmental Station Alpha for example. The last in particular I took note of because it was compared favorably to Elliot's Quest, a game I was already interested in getting because of Super Bunny Hop's "Games from my inbox" series.

Recettear and ESA both had demos that did a good job of hooking me, ESA's demo ending was particularly devious in pulling away from the action to make a big cliffhanger, and Recettear's gameplay was good enough, but it's charm and writing were what drew me to it more.

If there was something I'd recommend personally, it'd be Freedom Planet. I'd heard good things about this Sonic like platformer, but it has been better than I expected. Even it's story which has its critics as well as its share of fans is pretty easy to get into for me, maybe its "Sonic cheese plot done right" charm gets me, but its really actually pretty engaging in my opinion. I really wish SEGA would look at this game and take some inspiration as the developers (Galaxy Trail?) were likewise inspired by Sonic.

Really excellent game, not a huge discount right now, but got it as a Christmas present and couldn't be happier! :D

(The fact that it and a lot of the games I'm buying today work on my non-gaming laptop, means I'll have a few semi-portable PC games to complement my more power hungry gaming tastes. Ever since Undertale I've been checking out games that work on the laptop, games that I can't play on any portable console but can benefit from the simplicity of use with a laptop. On that note, maybe check out a game I got during the Halloween/Fall/Autumn sale, LISA. Not as good as Undertale IMO, but I've heard it is similar in some ways and it already seems pretty good from what I've played, if a bit difficult.)

Again, thanks everybody for the recommendations! And thank you OP for the detailed, well, OP!

eot

Banned
A lot of good games in this list, but I want to give another mention to 140. Short but well worth playing.

On the fence for Fotonica, Cities Skylines and Darkest Dungeon all for around $24..

Any thoughts?
Darkest Dungeon is a must play IMO. Fotonica is a bit simple, but you play that more for the sense of speed and the weird abstract landscapes. And Cities is supposed to excellent, but I haven't played it enough to give any impressions

Toma

On the fence for Fotonica, Cities Skylines and Darkest Dungeon all for around $24..

Any thoughts?

If you want to play a city builder (Sim City), it doesnt get better than Cities. It is SO incredibly good, best game in the genre.

Toma

If you liked the releases you picked up due to this thread, you should check out the monthly Indie Games threads. The January thread just went up recently
Yup, we are talking about the best "hidden gems" all year round over there. We'd love for more people to stop by and weigh in with their impressions on games we might not have checked out or discuss any game. ;)

Also: We'll put up our 2015 Indie GOTY thread in a few weeks. That list will be more heavily curated than this list and focus on the 50 games we considered "best" in 2015.

Top Bottom