• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sale 2016 thread of hoping for better deals elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do all the big Assassin's Creed Games use the (') apostrophe while the chronicles use the (’). It's like they are deliberately trying to annoy me.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I started up Agatha Christie The ABC Murders. It's a little bit LA Noire, a little bit Frogwares Sherlock Holmes, has a fine layer of European jank sprinkled on top. Seems pretty good. Might be worth checking out if you want to investigate a crime. (Also worth checking out: The Raven, which is excellent!)

One note about The ABC Murders is that it's 30fps locked and vsynced, and the controller controls are real bad so you're basically stuck using a mouse. So there's that if you're super sensitive about this stuff.

...just noticed that the enhanced steam thing "auto sell"does not work if you have mobile autentication =/

i still have all my cards =(

It works, you simply need to approve the sales on your mobile phone.

Davey Cakes

I'm currently playing Dark Souls and KOTOR 2 so I should be satisfied from an RPG standpoint but...screw it.

I went for Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. Something is just so alluring about a traditional JRPG with solid world building. It's a genre I haven't particularly delved into for a long time and everything I've heard makes Trails in the Sky seem like a good choice for re-entry. And, hell, my computer with its weak ass GPU can run it so that's a plus.

That and the arcade shooter Waves will be my final purchases for this sale. I'm cutting myself off. But I'm happy.

cHinzo

Halcyon 6 is a lot of fun so far. I'm only maybe an hour into my first campaign. It's not hardcore like xcom but it's management is a lot less shallow then FTL (I don't want to call FTL shallow cause it's not, but parts of it are). Then again, if I ramp up the difficulty, it might be hardcore like xcom is in terms of base planning and progression.

I am surprised people aren't talking about this game more.

It also seems like a game that could do very well for mod support, although it doesn't appear to (no steam workshop) right now.
I gifted that game to a buddy of mine and he loved it. Took him around 10 hours to finish his first playthrough. Generally if u like a strategy rpg game in space, this is the right game for u. :d

Can any of you guys chime in with your experience of Starbound?

I bought it because I like Terraria and wanted more, but I've read a few comments now that it's not as good. I'm not sure if 2 hours is enough for me to get a good feel for this game. I'm mainly looking for the mining/exploration aspect in Terraria, with using the items you find to explore further/easier. I don't really care about combat. A loosely tied together story would be nice, with incentives to explore and build stuff.

Any help is appreciated.

They're similar enough that you'll like it, even if only for a while, I think. There's a huge amount of stuff to see and make in Starbound, far moreso than Terraria. If you're a builder-type it's pretty hard to resist.

What really wore me down was the MMO-like tier grind to improve everything as I moved from planet to planet. It just got really old, on top of the banal mission structure (with one of three objectives: kill/go to/gather) But I'm an adventurer more than a builder--I make functional hovels before moving on--which exacerbated the progression grind. And, in spite of this, I still played it for 24 hours (probably half Early Access, half final release).

Annubis

So... I noticed that the price of gems didn't really drop this sale. That's kind of weird since they usually go down to 1.00$CAN. Any guesses as to why?

Oldie but never got to play. Bought KOTOR 1

couldn't pass up for 2.50

Should I get the second one now or is it not as good or will the first one hold me for awhile? I guess it's on sale too.

Lomax

YvO01zd.png

Considering pulling the trigger, someone talk me out of it. Haven't spent a penny thus far this sale.

So... I noticed that the price of gems didn't really drop this sale. That's kind of weird since they usually go down to 1.00$CAN. Any guesses as to why?

6UycjJW.png

There was a pretty big drop on day one of the sale (from around 92 cents to about 83 cents per sack) and it has stayed around that point for the most part (85 cents currently).

Davey Cakes

Should I get the second one now or is it not as good or will the first one hold me for awhile? I guess it's on sale too.
I can't say much about KOTOR 2 as I've barely started it but the original is one of my favorite RPGs ever.

Ventara

They're similar enough that you'll like it, even if only for a while, I think. There's a huge amount of stuff to see and make in Starbound, far moreso than Terraria. If you're a builder-type it's pretty hard to resist.

What really wore me down was the MMO-like tier grind to improve everything as I moved from planet to planet. It just got really old, on top of the banal mission structure (with one of three objectives: kill/go to/gather) But I'm an adventurer more than a builder--I make functional hovels before moving on--which exacerbated the progression grind. And, in spite of this, I still played it for 24 hours (probably half Early Access, half final release).

When you say there's lots to build, do you mean mostly cosmetic stuff? I do like building, but usually only stuff that is useful, or stuff that's needed to make useful stuff. I do like exploring more and usually build the bare minimum when it comes to a shelter.

And can you elaborate on what you mean by the MMO-like grind? Are there too many tiers for the tools (like pickax), and each one requires the previous tier item to build it?

There's an upgrade path for the particle gun, which is a huge improvement over the pickaxes in Terraria, but the main grind is for equipment to better survive in higher-tier planets. The resource tiers go way beyond what was in Terraria, and as I alluded to in my first post they're exclusive to certain tiers of planets--so the best resources are on the most severe planets. I don't remember if you need to hit the tiers in order, but it would be hard to avoid.

And yeah, for building there's a lot of cosmetic stuff mixed in with functional items. Some people in the Starbound OT make really purdy bases, for instance. It's really nice, although difficult to organise.

KotOR2 is legendary. Don't miss it!

Just be sure to get the Sith Lords Content Restored Mod before you play it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Nitroplus Blasterz doesnt seem to be in any store except Steam directly

Ventara

There's an upgrade path for the particle gun, which is a huge improvement over the pickaxes in Terraria, but the main grind is for equipment to better survive in higher-tier planets. The resource tiers go way beyond what was in Terraria, and as I alluded to in my first post they're exclusive to certain tiers of planets--so the best resources are on the most severe planets. I don't remember if you need to hit the tiers in order, but it would be hard to avoid.

And yeah, for building there's a lot of cosmetic stuff mixed in with functional items. Some people in the Starbound OT make really purdy bases, for instance. It's really nice, although difficult to organise.

Alright, thanks! I'm a little used to grindy games (given that I actually enjoy the game), so I think I'll give Starbound a shot.

Well that was fast. Posted to the Cards of Cthulu discussion board that the game auto-launched in Oculus VR mode, but since it's not a VR game it made it unplayable. Developer responded in a few hours, put together a quick patch, pushed it to a new beta branch, and now the game works great. < 24 hours.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I'd like to play a decent sim/management game, any suggestions?

I've got Cities Skyline which I fool around with once in a while. I grabbed Project Highrise earlier and it's not doing it for me. Anything else good?

Project Highrise is a gem, especially if you were a fan of SimTower but wanted more office management and less elevator lift simulator.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Zeeman, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Zeeman, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition -- MB-97F80A2007945F04 - Taken by Stall19. 37 entrants total.

t1483338359z1.png

Atomic Odin

Buy it eyes closed man. The second one is a lot more grey in comparison to any other SW story/media and will make you ponder a lot in making choices and taking actions. The dialogues, the writing is probably the best of any SW story. But like someone said, do make sure you get the TSLRCM installed before playing the game.

Mine01

Sup guys, im looking for the last game to buy and im down to CS GO or L4D2, i really think ill like both, but one negative thing for CS GO is that it seems like the only map played is dust2, and I really like diverse maps on shooters.

So my question is, what have better "map rotation", if i can call it like that, CS Go or L4D2.

I know they are different kind of games and I cant compare them only on their maps, but its one of things I most like on fps, not playing the same map over and over, like COD nuketown.

Zizbuka

Banned
I'm leery of Early Access, but finally picked up ARK: Survival Evolved. Seems to have a good following, and most bad reviews are because they had the audacity to create DLC.

Played 10 minutes and refunded. I have a decent PC, but was getting 15FPS. But worse, it kept throwing me into bad spots just to get started. Started a new game......you were killed by a level 22 something or other. Inventory system seemed a little confusing too.

Oh well.

jholmes

I've got Axiom already. I'll get Salt and Sanctuary, maaaaybe Strider. It looks cool, but I don't like that series much.

I'm no fan of the Strider series but I really got a kick out of the Double Helix game.

KOTOR 2 rules, even though there's a few late parts that are really unfinished. The game got a patch a year or so back so it's got controller support, widescreen, achievements -- really great experience, even considering its age.

Ganado

I'm leery of Early Access, but finally picked up ARK: Survival Evolved. Seems to have a good following, and most bad reviews are because they had the audacity to create DLC.

Played 10 minutes and refunded. I have a decent PC, but was getting 15FPS. But worse, it kept throwing me into bad spots just to get started. Started a new game......you were killed by a level 22 something or other. Inventory system seemed a little confusing too.

Oh well.
If you actually is interested in a good survival online game, Id recommend Rust. Also early access but still so good.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Paint It Black is the Dark Souls of picross games. Fuck this shit.

*loads up another puzzle

sqwarlock

Okay, last purchase time. Do I get:

1. The Witness (I love Myst-like games)
  2. Grim Dawn (Diablo 3 is finally dead to me, and I NEED a replacement that's not PoE)
  3. Slime Rancher (It's cute and is sitting at Overwhelmingly Positive, I'm curious now)
  4. Overcooked (Would probably only play this single player, but may pull my gf in to try)
  5. Curious Expedition (I've heard good things and like the style)

2. Grim Dawn (Diablo 3 is finally dead to me, and I NEED a replacement that's not PoE)
  3. Slime Rancher (It's cute and is sitting at Overwhelmingly Positive, I'm curious now)
  4. Overcooked (Would probably only play this single player, but may pull my gf in to try)

No opinion on the Witness, but out of the remaining 4 go with GRIM DAWN.

grimm daaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwn

Rhaknar

Witness is nothing like Myst. Theres an actual Myst-like game that SteamGaf was shilling recently but I forget the name.

Sarcasm

Can't recommend anything I got bored of grim dawn near the start. Overcooked is better multiplayer.

Get whatever has a better discount.

this is completely random but i barely started using steam last month and my downloads speeds when I use it are way better than what my ISP advertises. Like I usually get 1.5-2.0MBs but when I'm downloading a game on steam I get 10-12MBs

surprised the hell out of me

sqwarlock

Witness is nothing like Myst. Theres an actual Myst-like game that SteamGaf was shilling recently but I forget the name.

Probably Obduction, and I bought that day one. :)

Witness is puzzles on an island with secrets. I'm good with calling that close enough to Myst to pique my interest.

Atomic Odin

The only mainstream game i bought in this sale was Alien Isolation.

GODDAMN why didn't I played that game sooner. Shitting my pants constantly and yet enjoying it soooo much.

zkylon

zkylewd

the witness is probably one of my top 10 games of all time

so fucking impressive

Just bought the following for around 24 bucks.

Final Fantasy IV and The After Years Pack
Rise of Nations: Extended Edition
Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Unreal Saga Bundle (really really wanted Unreal Tournament 2003 but I was told 2004 was the same thing and more)

I'm pretty happy with what I got! I just hope it all works on Steam Link.

I also really want to buy Rouge Squadron 3D but I can't afford it. Five Nights at Freddy's Franchise Pack as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom