• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sale 2016 thread of hoping for better deals elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
you can use GMG15 voucher to drop Phantom Pain down to 14.70€ over on GMG, kinda tempting. Also was the game always 29.99 base price on PC or did it drop since launch?

you can use GMG15 voucher to drop Phantom Pain down to 14.70€ over on GMG, kinda tempting. Also was the game always 29.99 base price on PC or did it drop since launch?

Looks like they dropped it from 60 to 30 euros base price last May, though they only dropped it US$60 -> US$40 at the same time.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Looks like they dropped it from 60 to 30 euros base price last May, though they only dropped it US$60 -> US$40 at the same time.

man is the game that old? it feels like it just came out but apparently it came out in 2015, the fuck :/

thats the one big AAA game that eludes me and I dont know why, I loved 4. But nothing about 5 seems appealing to me. I really should give Ground Zeroes a try one of these days to see if I like it.

Ended up getting The Witness. Probably the only thing from the sale I'm gonna buy. Still interested in The Witcher 3 DLC, but I figure since I haven't sunk my teeth fully into the base game yet I can pass on that for now.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You guys are killing me with Fata Morgana. I will wait for a bigger sale but I've been tempted every time I pop in here.

Ended up getting The Witness. Probably the only thing from the sale I'm gonna buy. Still interested in The Witcher 3 DLC, but I figure since I haven't sunk my teeth fully into the base game yet I can pass on that for now.

Good job.

Rhaknar

God Eater 2 14gigs, ok, expected I guess.

God Eater Ressurrection 14 gigs... wait what? its a vita game >_>

Also, go straight to 2, and if I like / finish it go back and play 1 seems like the best strategy? I fear if I play 1 and it turns me off ill never try 2, and as far as I understand 2 is the better game, even with the ressurrection improvements?

edit: actually just watched the trailer and it seems super improved over the psp version, like it looks like a proper remake, not just a remaster hmm.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How do I order Origin Games via Paypal via VPN? (Because Medal of Honor War Chest is not avaiable in my region)

Assuming EA hasn't changed anything, you need to disable the VPN before proceeding to PayPal to complete the purchase.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Assuming EA hasn't changed anything, you need to disable the VPN before proceeding to PayPal to complete the purchase.

Have I to do this in the client or on the website? I tried this already but it somehow went wrong... But I will try again now^^

AHA-Lambda

Grr, temptation to drop difficulty on Furi is strong now, this 3rd boss is still kicking my ass >_<
Wouldn't be so bad if the fights weren't so long but that's kinda the point :/

I need to get the Age of Empires HD Collection tomorrow, so many memories, Ill be hooked on this for months

this is after spending over $1200 on a new gaming PC...

AHA-Lambda

Is Read Only Menories worth it at that price?

I'm aware it's been cheaper, but with its new update due soon, I can't see it getting cheaper for a while?

Va-11 Hall-A or The Silver Case?

VA-11 HALL-A, especially if you like your cyberpunk.
It's filled with charming, likeable characters but also some somber moments, and a very grounded pedestrian-level look at a cyberpunk dystopia.

On the other hand, The Silver Case's story is nonsensical gibberish. I know some will jump on me for that, but I really couldn't tell you what the game was generally about after 15 hours. To me the story was a mess.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is Dark Soul 3 the worse PC port of the three games? Even after turning lighting to low and telling Windows to free up more RAM (because apparently DS3 needs a fuckton of RAM?), I'm still getting crashes and straight up hard locks where I can't do anything but signout/signin or restart my computer. Does anyone have any ideas on how to alleviate these issues beyond maybe rolling back drivers? Luckily none of these crashes/freezes have happened at critical moments butt hanks to the server shit, just starting up the game is grating.

Apparently it has something to do with Windows 10, which sounds pretty bullshit to me. I've gotten those hardlocks as well and shit is mad frustrating because the game itself is solid.

JaseC

Is Dark Soul 3 the worse PC port of the three games? Even after turning lighting to low and telling Windows to free up more RAM (because apparently DS3 needs a fuckton of RAM?), I'm still getting crashes and straight up hard locks where I can't do anything but signout/signin or restart my computer. Does anyone have any ideas on how to alleviate these issues beyond maybe rolling back drivers? Luckily none of these crashes/freezes have happened at critical moments butt hanks to the server shit, just starting up the game is grating.

The PC performance thread has a few things you can try. The root cause seems to vary considerably and so there's no easy/common solution.

After getting 52 in the last two years, number one for this year is done.

Word puzzle game where you are presented with a serious of clues and you have to slide the individual words horizontally to form the answer vertically made up of one letter of each of the clue words.

There are 600 puzzles in the game made up of 3 to 8 letter answers spread across 15 40 puzzle themed sets. While most of the clues are quite elegant, some are obtuse and others unintentionally misleading. There is a clue system where you can reveal one letter at a time of the answer if you get stuck so your progress is never impeded for too long. One note: this is an American game so uses American synonyms and spelling, not British.

There are some bugs almost completely contained to the level selection screen and what happens after you hit next puzzle. As you progress through a puzzle set the game will invariably skip at least two levels for some reason meaning you will have to go back to the puzzle selection screen after each set is "complete" achievement wise to finish off the ones the game skipped. The selection screen can also bug out showing half of one and half of another or nothing at all.

All in all this is a very nice little word puzzle game, well recommended. It should take somewhere about 3 hours and you can get 100% achievements just for finishing it. Maybe some sort of steamworks integration to allows others to make puzzle sets could be next on the horizon.

Sarcasm

Apparently it has something to do with Windows 10, which sounds pretty bullshit to me. I've gotten those hardlocks as well and shit is mad frustrating because the game itself is solid.

Running on W10 here. I7 3770K & GTX670. 16GB+ RAM.

I do not get any of these. I did have to setup an actual pagefile to get rid of stuttering. 8GB pagefile mind you.

Other than Christine Love's stuff, I can vouch for these:

But you should really start with The House in Fata Morgana. Really.

I keep forgetting to buy An Octave Higher, thanks for reminding me. Also Long Live The Queen is so great, I love Hanako Games. I just bought Black Closet+A Little Lily Princess bundle this sale.

I do not own it and did not play it, but having watched lets plays, the whole thing seems to get very boring after you do the same puzzle the first dozen times..
This is block-worthy material right here.

It's completely fine if you don't like it, but the fact that you decide to go on a gaming board to tell people a game is mediocre and has the same puzzles throughout the game because you watched a stream is insane. I mean I'm sure you hear how ridiculous that is. No one will take your opinion seriously, and it's not really clear what your motive is.

Is your goal to warn people of this game have you haven't played? Or do you want to discuss it because you're curious why people like it so much? Strange way to initiate a discussion but I guess it works in a way because you got people's attention.

It's pretty sad because you spoiled one of the best games of the generation for yourself.

Mechazawa

The new Steam website update sucks because it's no longer possible for me to infinitely scroll down on the homepage to keep getting PC game suggestions.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I did have to setup an actual pagefile to get rid of stuttering. 8GB pagefile mind you.

That's dumb as hell of a fix to stop random hardlocks, then. Because the game runs fine on RAM that is below yours (as it damn well should since it's nearly the same engine as Dark Souls 1-2?) but then hardlocks randomly after a 2-hour session or 15 min session. These hardlocks happen while in the middle of attacking and I have no clue what causes it.

Sarcasm

That's dumb as hell of a fix to stop random hardlocks, then. Because the game runs fine on RAM that is below yours (as it damn well should since it's nearly the same engine as Dark Souls 1-2?) but then hardlocks randomly after a 2-hour session or 15 min session. These hardlocks happen while in the middle of attacking and I have no clue what causes it.

It isn't the same as 1 & 2. I mean probably but enhanced. I mean a lot of places in 2 looked like assssss. DS1 without dsfix runs like poo yes.

PCs are weird. Another example is Fallout 4 on my machine hates my SSD. It would actually load longer and run worse (dunno WHY).

Knurek

Is fata morgana complete or is something like umineko/higurashi with different episodes?

It's complete. Well, missing the Vita exclusive scenarios, I think, but that version is supposed to come out this year and most probably will stay exclusive to Japan.
There's also a fandisk Mangagamer should release this year, but as with all fandiscs, it's nothing that's necessary for enjoying the main game.

Wichu

Grabbed The Witness, The Silver Case, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Oxenfree, and Pony Island. I have no idea when I'm going to have time to play everything.

EDIT: Crap, missed VA-11 Hall-A. Let me correct that mistake.

fantomena

If all my collectibles in Dishonored 2 doesn't follow into NG+ so I can pick up the few that requires killing, Im gonna uninstall that shit.

JaseC

If all my collectibles in Dishonored 2 doesn't follow into NG+ so I can pick up the few that requires killing, Im gonna uninstall that shit.

None of the collectables require a lethal approach. I did a ghost + merciful playthrough and collected everything aside from coins (because bugger that).

Bought two things from the sale:
American Truck Simulator
Umihara Kawase Trilogy (UK, UK Shun, Sayonara)

Been meaning to get both for a while now. ATS seems like more ETS2 goodness set in America (Well, California, Nevada, and Arizona at least). The Umihara Kawase games seem to be good enough ports, so I look forward to checking them out again.

Berto

Finished Abzu, it was pretty cool, I liked it, but couln't shake the feeling I was playing Journey's soft reboot. They are very similar.

Miletius

About to head to bed so I think I'll miss the last of the sale. Decided on:

Tyranny (big purchase)
Pony Island
Orwell
Oniken/Odallus

To be Collected (at some point)

DBZ: Xenoverse 2
Planet Coaster
The Witness
...and plenty of others left on the table.

Still have 70 Steam Bucks just sitting around, but trying to show restraint and play more games than I purchase. Gonna be hard, since Tyranny looks like it's gonna demand more than one playthrough. Was gonna offer to buy my friend a copy of the Division so we can play together but I always end up not syncing up with people at the right time so I've decided that it's probably better not to do so.

Uzzy

Speaking of Dishonoured 2, I just hit the 'Crack in the Slab' level.

I think I see why PC Gamer gave this GOTY. It's rather good. Whenever a game goes
Changes made in the past may have consequences on the present
, you know you're in for some good times.

JaseC

What about the one about
clockwork robot
?

The clockwork soldier plates? Taking them out doesn't count as a kill and you can even do so without being detected with a combination of stop time and rewire tools as rewired soldiers will fall to pieces after about five minutes.

Proc

Last minute spending spree. I ended up buying:

Hearts of Iron 4 - please let me find time this year to dig into this

Total War: Warhammer - by all accounts this is supposed to be great. I'm a fan of the warhammer universe and I hear this has great potential. The amount of dlc has me feeling a bit tepid.

Superhot- Giantbomb's coverage made me pull the trigger

Oxenfree - I like a good adventure game and this seemed to be on a lot of people's lists. The price was right too.

Planet Coaster - I loved Theme Park back in the day and one of my buddies vouched for its greatness.

Table Top Simulator - I bought a couple copies of this because it looked like something my fiancé and I could have some fun with.

Homeworld Deserts of Kharak - seems like a steal at $14. I'll get to this eventually.

I'm on the fence on for hyper light drifter and Starbound. I think I'll hold off for now due to lack of time and the savings are only a few bucks.

So I bought Watch Dogs 2 during this sale and it is a great game. WD2 feels closest to Saints Row 2 in the way you build up your gangs reputation, who just so happen to be filled to the brim with caricatures of a certain group. Pleasant surprise.

Edit: last day of sale, but as a weirdo that greatly preferred final fantasy viii to vii, should i look into getting FFX or IX?

Speaking of Dishonoured 2, I just hit the 'Crack in the Slab' level.

I think I see why PC Gamer gave this GOTY. It's rather good. Whenever a game goes
Changes made in the past may have consequences on the present
, you know you're in for some good times.
Too bad about its performance. It goes from 80ish fps all the way to 10 fps on my PC at 1440p.

Edit: the drops are sudden and the reasons are unknown. I get them even when staring at a wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom