• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sale 2016 thread of hoping for better deals elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Anyone have experience with this game? I was really impressed after watching some of the videos. Looks like a good time but I'm still on the fence for the price though I suppose it did just come out so..

header.jpg

Shadow-Tactics-7-800x445.jpg

It's amazing and has a nice sizable demo so you can try it yourself.

Ajax125

Banned
Is killing floor 2 worth rebuying? I already have it on ps4 but i'm curious if i'm missing out on buying the "definitive version" for pc.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Speaking of cards, I'm finding the lack of Steam Cards in the Wolfenstein disappointing.

2 questions on rocket league

Is the community strong on steam?

And does it play well with mouse and keyboard?

Absolutely for community. Even with all the different modes they've added over the year, matches fill up quickly in my experience and you can always send out a call to people on their own forums, here in SteamGAF, or one of the various Twitch channels that plays it.

It's serviceable with mouse and keyboard, but you'll want a controller still.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
The community is really bad. Lots of people who'll insult you and tell you to kill yourself. It plays okay when you just use your keyboard and bind jump and boost to J K
Fast to join matches, though. I just muted voice and text chat immediately.

Tektonic

steam has "woooooooah dude" vote going on

i just discover you can confirm multiple card sales in app by ticking white box to the right of card name... that's a true wooooooah dude moment.

Lain

How are the FF XIII ports? Do you guys think they're worth $10 each?

The ports have their issues, but at least you can downsample stuff to make them look really pretty (XIII and XIII-2 at least, LR is fun but difficult to make it look all that pretty imo).
They're worth 10$ each and even more as far as I'm concerned, but you'll also get people telling you they're not worth getting paid to play them, so ask yourself, is fun gameplay, cool characters, nice graphics more important to you than a deep story? If the answer is yes, go ahead, they're worth your money and time.

Is Grim Dawn still very good, even if you're just going to play solo?

Like other games in the genre, while multiplayer makes things more fun/interesting, playing solo is still a good experience.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

overture -- MB-A783322A960F34D6 - Taken by Hakkelus

Clunker

Also, I impulse bought Borderlands 2 (hopping on those hot new releases) and the game is tearing like crazy. Is this common? I'd only ever played it on PS3.

hitmon

The ports have their issues, but at least you can downsample stuff to make them look really pretty (XIII and XIII-2 at least, LR is fun but difficult to make it look all that pretty imo).
They're worth 10$ each and even more as far as I'm concerned, but you'll also get people telling you they're not worth getting paid to play them, so ask yourself, is fun gameplay, cool characters, nice graphics more important to you than a deep story? If the answer is yes, go ahead, they're worth your money and time.

Like other games in the genre, while multiplayer makes things more fun/interesting, playing solo is still a good experience.

Thanks for your feedback on the FFXIII games.

Ascheroth

You know, I kind of wish God Eater would be a little more difficult. I'm at the end of Difficulty 7 in Rage Burst and most of the time it's still really easy. Tho that also might be because of how easy it is to 'break' the game. The 'Burst Health Regen' control unit makes getting hit completely trivial and it's barely necessary to use helaing items unless you completely fuck up. I always think I should try it without it again, but then I always think 'but why should I make it deliberately harder on me'.
And I'm not even using any particulary special bullets, just the default sniper bullets modified with a point-blank shot on impact for more bang-for-my-buck.

It's kind of a shame, because Resurrection had some fucking amazing missions at the very end and showed that the game can very well be difficult and challenging when it wants to (even when you have health regen and other stuff), and be fucking awesome that way. (Though some of those missions were a huge pain in the ass.)

Overall I'm still having a very good time with it though.

---
On another note, I've tried Tales of Symphonia some days ago and that one didn't really click. Haven't made it past the very beginning, but I'm not sure if I really want to continue.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Also, I impulse bought Borderlands 2 (hopping on those hot new releases) and the game is tearing like crazy. Is this common? I'd only ever played it on PS3.

Either enable vsync or run it in borderless window mode.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
How is the server situation looking in Unreal Tournament? I'm tempted to buy it for nostalgia, but only if there's still a way to play online.

KenOD

Foil cards will go for more obviously, but basically it's just a matter of a lot of small sales adding up. 10 cents here, 10 cents there, eventually the number of cards from playing games and booster packs will get you something

Tektonic

How are you guys making money from Steam Cards? When I check to sell mine, they got for around 30 cents or less.

It's like those "I made 200000 working from home scam/spam posts" you have to know the secret*

*The secret is: large library, plus idle-master and lots of time, and selling the cards for cents at a time = eventual game purchases = more games to idle = a never ending stream of card cash

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Corrosion Cold Winter Waiting -- MB-EA6850133588F2A2 - Taken by voodooray
Crystal Catacombs -- MB-69078B02C4C6C7F4
Ravensword Shadowlands -- MB-B56F33E724A2B86C - Taken by Purkake4

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

uO6NMdV.png

Mystery Game -- MB-2E7123E60F73B3C3 - Taken by Mr. Doop
key might not work

louiedog

Whenever I remember that moment when you leave the ship it gives me the chills.

For me it's that moment when the lights go out and then you
meet your first Skaarj

I only played that game once when it was new but I remember it like I played it last week.

IndustryX

So I got a $20 Steam gift card for Christmas even though I don't actually have a PC any more to pass Steam games on. The only thing I've got is a 18 month old MacBook Air.

Can anyone give me recommendations for games that would run on a MacBook Air? Would the LucasArts remasters work?

Stardew Valley and Undertale are easy recommends for me

KenOD

Any thoughts on Batman Telltale?

It's Telltale as you would expect, and the mystery aura of "choices matter" don't really work as well here, but it's a solid story and experience. As someone who likes Batman, I appreciated that they went their own route with quite a few characters and origin events, and even a brand new villain that feels like it fits well as opposed to another "Sin Tzu" situation.

I say it's worth playing if you like Batman.

I know this isn't related to Steam, but I dunno where else to ask this. Gamestop has The Last Remnant going for $2.49. Anyone know what digital service they use?

KenOD

I know this isn't related to Steam, but I dunno where else to ask this. Gamestop has The Last Remnant going for $2.49. Anyone know what digital service they use?

Gamestop has it's own download client for some games (mostly pre-2014), but games like The Last Remnant there will be a Steam key.

For system requirements on the game page, just look for where it says "Connectivity", it'll list which service.

Teggy

I'll probably pick up a few things before the sale is over, but I finished Quantum Break (sadly, one of my pet peeves are convoluted time travel stories, ugh) today and I think it's time to put a close on 2016 in gaming. Time to prep for 2017. I played a couple of hours of NieR today.

Deadbeat

Banned
I finally read the details on the voting and the results. I was hoping for something bigger than 'eternal fame' for a game winning an award.

Gamestop has it's own download client for some games (mostly pre-2014), but games like The Last Remnant there will be a Steam key.

For system requirements on the game page, just look for where it says "Connectivity", it'll list which service.
There it is! Awesome, thanks a bunch. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom