• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 Thread 2: [Extended To Jan 7th For Encore Deals]

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
The only thing I really want from this sale is a deep discount HAWX and HAWX 2... really... just got a new stick and want to try it out with those games.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm tempted to jump on the older Tomb Raider games (I-VI) since they're not going to get any cheaper, but I still hold hope that Primordia will makes its belated debut.

What is the last deal?

You're going to have to be more specific; the order isn't static.

Edit: I'm assuming it's Dark Souls, since it uses GFWL, which doesn't service ignores particular countries.

At this point I'm going to assume Fallen Enchantress isn't going lower than 33%. Oh well Steam -- and Stardock -- I'll wait for the summer sale on that.

My haul:
XCOM - Gamefly
Dead Island GOTY - Amazon
Spec Ops - Amazon
M&M Clash of Heroes - Amazon
Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic - Steam
Alpha Protocol - Steam
Beat Hazard - Steam
Chivalry - Steam
FTL - Steam
Legend of Grimrock - Steam
Mark of the Ninja - Steam
Nexus: Jupiter Incident - Steam
Sine Mora - Steam
Sins of the Solar Empire: Rebellion - Steam
SPAZ - Steam
Titan Quest (gifted) - Steam

Looks like about $85 for all of that. Not bad. Massive backlog to play through now. Like everyone else, I have a crapload of Steam stuff I haven't even started yet. Sigh.

Salaadin

They were -75% two times this week. you will not get more.

They were?

Man, Ive been slacking big time this sale. I missed AC and now this >.>

I wonder how the old Tomb Raider games hold up. My nostalgic side put them in my cart but my intelligent side wont let me checkout.

mrgone

Does the sale end at the 4th at 10 am, or is the 4th just the final wrap-up day with the repeats and everything ends on the 5th at 10am?

ubercheez

I loved Diablo 3 and it's my GOTY. But I played that with friends. Will I like Torchlight 2 if it's going to be a solo experience for me?

If you're okay with the idea of playing it solo going in, you'll probably enjoy it. I was ultimately disappointed since I was looking for a multiplayer experience and their online matchmaking system is very weak.

Grief.exe

Go 75% Dark Souls, then I will double dip you!

You can grab it for $12 on Amazon right now with promotional credit. That is a 70% discount.

The only thing I really want from this sale is a deep discount HAWX and HAWX 2... really... just got a new stick and want to try it out with those games.

Tom Clancy Franchise was on sale the second day. I picked up Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory for $2.50, but the entire library was heavily discounted.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
saw them for a minute :

Dark Souls - 50% (Cheaper @ amazon)
Magika - 75%
Sniper Elite - 75%
Tomb Raider Franchise - 75%
KOTOR Franchise - 75%
Painkiller - 50-60%
Well, my prediction is more likely to come true on the last day of the sales. But still, haven't we seen all of these games before? What game does Valve think it's playing?

atomico

Steam sales neglected me, so I bought Syndicate on Origin and Sonic Generations on GMG.

Revenge cheating, basically

OH MY GOD STEAM I'M SO SORRY PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME I LOVE YOU

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Tom Clancy Franchise was on sale the second day. I picked up Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory for $2.50, but the entire library was heavily discounted.

How did I miss that? Man... Stupid family time!

Thanks for the info though.

if a game is 'steam-redeemable' and you buy them from another DD, does Steam/Valve get a cut?

been wondering that. would at least give some reason why steam isn't pricematching these deals from amazon/gmg/etc.

Lettuce

Can someone explain the PainKiller series to me, not sure what order they go in and it any other than, PainKiller Black Edition are any good. Has the first game been remade a few times??

1-D_FTW

The Tomb Raider games are actually a real nice price. I thought I'd purchased at the pricing floor earlier, but I paid more than 2.50 a pop.

Teggy

Why no Classic Tomb Raider collection? I already have the newer ones.

Cmon Squeenix/Eidos, cut me a break!

Was thinking the same thing, but this way I probably won't waste money on games I just want in my collection but will probably never play.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get it -- what happened to the snow fort / igloo? I think I missed one of the cartoon backgrounds.

Cyl is escalating his attempts to destroy the other igloo. Snowballs and fireworks were not effective.

I really am having trouble accepting how opposite your opinion can be of mine, but I guess that's life.

Sure, MP1/2 had its share of being pretentious and overwrought, but the games were quirky and had mystery and suspense, and took inspirations from all over the place, from John Woo films to The Matrix to Film Noir, David Lynch, classic gaming tropes, nordic mythology and packaged them into something very cohesive with itself. It wasn't afraid to be weird or funny and the story actually moved his character forward and tried new stuff. How often do we get love stories in videogames?

It's flawed but it had ambition and heart in spades, two things I think Max Payne 3 severly lacks, and it shows compared to the first two.

Max Payne 3 is what? A side story at best? In Man on Fire Creasy actually grew as a character, based on a child that made him see the good in life and gave him the way to redeem himself from his past. In Max Payne 3 Max re-recovers from a depression that was resolved at the end of MP2, and gets over a sudden alcoholism just because he has to save a bunch of horrible Dan Houser people no one can possibly like, just because it's his job.

And seriously, Badgad with G-Strings is the worst line I've ever heard in gaming history.

So, I've been playing a bit of MP3 on PC, mostly because it was quite cheap, I already have the other two on steam, and I can't locate my other copy. But a thing I noticed is that every cutscene always has a big skip icon in the lower right hand corner. So I'm not so sure what the claims about unskippable cutscenes is about.

The innovation MP introduced in terms of mechanics is present and refined in MP3 so I'm a bit unclear on that line of reasoning. Historical firsts are interesting from a intellectual angle, but has very little meaning in a objective setting. The fact that some story or gameplay mechanic is rarely seen in other games does not forgive a sloppy or overly cliché attempt at it's implementation.

Assuming MP1 is full of ambition, it is also defined by failed realization. MP3 may not be as innovative as 1, but it's not only a well realization of MP1's ambitions but goes further and fixes the major game mechanics and story bloat of it's predecessors. As much hate as it got, the cover system is actually a great addition to MP3. Bullet time, due to geography and enemy placement, will sometimes get you killed (or unnecessarily damaged) so being able to strategically eliminate 1 or 2 enemies before jumping out of cover fixes the control issues that MP1/2 had (and yes, I was not exactly enthused when I first heard MP3 had a cover system..who would have guessed?). And more generally, the fact that a sequel is less innovative is par for the course in all types of media. Sequels always tend to refine and enhance innovations in each successive generation.

The people Dan Houser created were designed to be unlikeable. Max even spends the majority of the beginning monologue on how he loathes them. Passos was a decent 'partner' and Giovanna? was okay for the 2-3 scenes she was in. Then there is the rest of the side npc's who are competently written like the detective, and the black leader (I can't recall his name). The g-strings comment was a throw away one liner. There are hundreds of those in MP1/2 that are worse. The rest of the dialogue is fine.

MP3 is MoF's story of redemption. Max starts out a barely functional drunk/pill popper. He saves Giovanna? (I really can't remember her name) and comes to terms with Passos. And by the end comes to terms not only with what his role in life has been to this point but he manages to walk away from his past at the end.

Grief.exe

How did I miss that? Man... Stupid family time!

Thanks for the info though.

Honestly, I don't blame you for missing it.

The sale only showed a picture of Future Soldier and you had to click on it to even see the whole franchise was on sale.

Then you probably had to deal with family on top of that as well.

JaseC

The "Install Steam" button in the "You already own ..." notification that appears on Steam Store product pages should be replaced with "Install remotely" if you're logged into the desktop client.

Nimajneb

Wow, that's a lot of repeats. But at least I finally got Miasmata, it feels like I've been waiting forever for it to come up.

I also just won Duke Nukem Forever on SteamGifts, and I feel compelled to play it since I won it in a giveaway against people who actually wanted it. What have I done?

Hey, look at that. I remembered my Steam username and password.

Any recommendations for games to play on a 6 year old laptop? I've been eyeballing Hotline Miami for weeks, but if I can't run the game that well, I won't buy it at all.

Tomodachi

Is it any good I mean. Heard a lot about glitches and bugs..
lol I know I was teasing :p
I played it very little but it looked allright, it's smart and fun, wouldn't know about glitches though. Maybe someone else will have a more precise opinion.

EDIT: oh yeah, there's a demo you could try.

JaseC

Hey, look at that. I remembered my Steam username and password.

Any recommendations for games to play on a 6 year old laptop? I've been eyeballing Hotline Miami for weeks, but if I can't run the game that well, I won't buy it at all.

2D titles will run fine. Also, Mark of the Ninja.

Dizzy

Banned
Wtf? I just bought the Tomb Raider collection last night for 19.99. Today its 9.99.

Any chance I could pull that UK law excuse to get a refund?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom