• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamWorld Heist review thread - Too Robust To Rust!

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
SteamWorld-Heist-Logo-Medium.jpg

Embargo just expired a few minutes ago. Will post more reviews as they go up.

NintendoLife - 9
SteamWorld Heist is an entirely different proposition to its predecessor, and that's no bad thing. Its quirky blend of a 2D perspective, allied with turn-based strategy and skill-based attacks, is a surprisingly addictive combination. There's impressive depth to the overall mechanics, and it's all topped off with a level of presentation that's both charming and accomplished. Whether seeking challenging strategy or an entertaining story, this title delivers both in its own unique way and has certainly stolen plenty of our time; we haven't even got all the hats yet.

Nintendo World Report - 9.5
The definitive Nintendo 3DS game of 2015 is here. No joke.

Destructoid - 8.5
SteamWorld Heist is both a great entry point for people who normally shy away from strategy games and a good recommendation for veterans. With a deep combat system and a sliding difficulty scale, pretty much everyone can find something they'll like.

Nintendo Feed - 9
Image & Form have made an amazing game with plenty of substance to keep you coming back, and have somehow managed to top their great work on SteamWorld Dig.

Cubed3 - 9
While not a narrative that would be found in a larger-scale RPG, the story is engaging enough to make keeping track of all the various factions and personalities not only worthwhile, but entertaining. By itself, the gameplay is enough to keep the action moving at an excellent pace, and the mission length is perfect for long grinds, or quick sessions on the go. The adjustable difficulty curve and "easy to learn, hard to master" combat makes it a great starting point for those just getting into turn-based strategy titles, and a point of mastery for genre veterans. Image & Form really showcases its ability to tackle new styles of play, and succeeds on nearly every level with SteamWorld Heist.

Gamer Professionals - 10
Just like the two Star Wars trilogies, Steamworld Heist is just one part of a grander tale. Based on the high quality of gameplay, this is quite possibly the best game I’ve played all year, and the passion Image and Form dedicated to this title shows. Unparalleled customization and intuitive gameplay, combined with a scaling difficulty system makes this easily accessible to any gamer – from the non-strategy savvy to the most hardcore fans.

Metro - 8
SteamWorld Heist is a wonderfully designed, cheerfully entertaining strategy action game. The sort of experience that will hopefully open up more people to styles of games they’d never normally play, while delighting those that already fans.

Nintendo Enthusiast - 9
In the end, SteamWorld Heist does an amazing job at combining different elements from various genres. If you’re a fan of the past entries in the series, then chances are you were curious about this one already, but even if you have no experience with the franchise, because this is a completely different experience, there’s no excuse not to try it out. Any RPG and/or strategy fan should definitely consider giving Heist a try.

We Got This Covered - 5/5
SteamWorld Heist is the best Nintendo 3DS game released in 2015, and its multiple difficulties ensure that both new and veteran tactical gamers can have fun in its wonderful world of robot pirates.

Games Asylum - 9
If you played Image & Form’s SteamWorld Dig then chances are you’ll be in agreement that it was hard to fault. SteamWorld Heist follows suit – it’s one of those rare games that’s hard to criticise without resorting to nitpicking.

US Gamer - 5/5
What more can I say? I loved SteamWorld Heist and I think everyone should play it. Even if you don't normally like tactics games, Heist might be able to change your mind. It might not make a lot of Game of the Year lists, but I can assure you that it is one of 2015's best.

ShackNews - 9
Still, the fact that I want to go back and grind some missions to level up my less developed characters speaks to SteamWorld Heist's longevity and satisfying appeal. Image & Form has another retro-inspired gem here, and has further established that like its denizens, SteamWorld stands for piecing together something great from a box of spare parts.

maxcriden

Wahoo. Looks wonderful!

That NWR pull quote. :-o High praise!

Can't wait to play it.

(and if you're reading this, imageform, please check your PMs!)

rhandino

Banned
Great reviews, Steamworld Dig was a revelation for me early this year (played it 3 times in a row) so I'm incredible pumped for this... will buy this year even If I can only play it in January =3

Lucifon

Any idea when this is out on other platforms? I want to get it, but have so much to play at the moment that I probably won't play it much so would be better off waiting.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Tomorrow's the official eShop day.

Scanna

Here's ours (in Italian)
I personally think it would have deserved a 9, but my staffer is a bit strict :D
VGNetwork.it - 8.5
Image & Form risked everything, gambled, approached a niche genre, abandoned an already established protagonist, inserted a robot woman MC and still managed to create the lengthy, fun and balanced experience which is Steamworld Heist.

Isn't it on UK WiiU eShop already? I thought I saw it there.. I might just blind buy it as it's got such rave reviews. I never got around to buying Steamworld Dig but this looks awesome too.

Azuardo

Cubed3 - 9

While not a narrative that would be found in a larger-scale RPG, the story is engaging enough to make keeping track of all the various factions and personalities not only worthwhile, but entertaining. By itself, the gameplay is enough to keep the action moving at an excellent pace, and the mission length is perfect for long grinds, or quick sessions on the go. The adjustable difficulty curve and "easy to learn, hard to master" combat makes it a great starting point for those just getting into turn-based strategy titles, and a point of mastery for genre veterans. Image & Form really showcases its ability to tackle new styles of play, and succeeds on nearly every level with SteamWorld Heist.

Zero²;188557637 said:
Wait, Terraria WiiU is finally coming out? :0
Shame I don't have a 3ds, cuz this game looks amazing.
No. :( The 3DS version of Terraria comes out tomorrow. The Wii U version is still January or February.

Effect

Crazy. This and Fast Racing Neo on the same day. Tomorrow is going to be a good day gaming wise. These two titles and more time to play Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Italian review on I Love Videogames

With SteamWorld Heist, Image & Form has managed to pack another good product with solid mechanics and great graphics. Everything in Captain Piper's galaxy manages to capture the player, the music brilliantly composed by Steam Powered Giraffe, the character design of the robots, the weapons and the excellent gunplay created by these Swedish guys.

9/10

I was looking for the OT when I found this thread. Looks like it got some good reviews! Will be buying it tomorrow even though TBStrategy isn't really my thing.

Veal

Ill grab this tomorrow morning...loved Dig, even though I never finished it.
You could probably finish Dig before you pick up Heist. It's a really really short game!

So glad this is apparently great! Dig was amazing and it would have been too disappointing if this turned out to be poop.

Steamworld Dig is not that short. It's pretty repetitive too, but it's a decently good game as well. I'm worried that Heist will be a game I start but never finish.

- SteamWorld Dig costs $9.99.
- SteamWorld Heist is 10 times bigger and better than Dig.
- Ergo: you're getting 5 times the value.

Steamworld Dig is not that short. It's pretty repetitive too, but it's a decently good game as well. I'm worried that Heist will be a game I start but never finish.

Ergh... the thing I liked about Dig was how it ended before I got sick of the game loop. Wish we had more well-paced 5 hour games packed with content, side quests, and secrets rather than 50 hour games that are just the same gameplay drawn out to absurd lengths to justify a high price tag.

JPon87

Neo Member
Fantastic to see that this game will be as good if not better than the first Steamworld title! Can't wait to download and play their take on a strategy game. Such a cool direction to take the franchise and I'm happy it seems like they pulled it off!

Oneself

Great! I'm not that interested in the genre but the 1st title was so great that I might... Dig that one too.

Top Bottom