• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steep |OT| Shaun White Simulator

Pit

Played 3 hours non stop today, can recommend. If you like the look of this, then you'll probably enjoy playing it. I haven't missed not having lots of tricks. Maybe some people are forgetting that you can angle the sticks diagonally, so there are a lot of tricks I hadn't been using. I like how this game focuses on timing and not jumping every cliff or ramp. Planning a run is important. Also turn off trick assist.

Coming back for giving my impressions.

I've played for like 2-3 hours and the game is exactly what I imagine it would be (thanks to other Gaffers impressions).

Good points
  • Relaxing
  • More realistic oriented than the opposite (even if not simulation)
  • Mountains are big
  • Other sports are indeed ok to play
  • Game is "ok" beautiful in my opinion and I don't ask for a lot better

Things to look at before deciding
  • Not a lot of variety but if you enjoy free ride then you'll enjoy quick sessions here and there
  • Progression is not ideal but not too boring too (at least for the first hours).
  • Not perfect controls in the way that not everything feels natural but once you get the logic everything is ok.
  • More variety in some areas like villages that I don't like a lot would be nice (maybe DLC... starting by free dlc coming soon). This said, a mountain is big and you can't do something semi realistic with houses everywhere :p
  • And nitpicking but I like to have gear and tech clothes (real brands) to choose from. Maybe later too?

Final word:
- you like Amped and relaxing free riding sessions then go
- you like SSX and want tricks and fireworks everywhere then skip
- you find it for more than 60€ then skip no matter your preference

I really do hope Ubi will try to push this a little during the winter/skiing season and support it with a few great dlc and patches to make things even better.

Like suggested above I'll turn off trick assist to see if it controls better (but controls are not an issue imo). And I'll come back after a few hours more.

Freeman76

Chû Totoro;226171236 said:
Coming back for giving my impressions.

I've played for like 2-3 hours and the game is exactly what I imagine it would be (thanks to other Gaffers impressions).

Good points
  • Relaxing
  • More realistic oriented than the opposite (even if not simulation)
  • Mountains are big
  • Other sports are indeed ok to play
  • Game is "ok" beautiful in my opinion and I don't ask for a lot better

Things to look at before deciding
  • Not a lot of variety but if you enjoy free ride then you'll enjoy quick sessions here and there
  • Progression is not ideal but not too boring too (at least for the first hours).
  • Not perfect controls in the way that not everything feels natural but once you get the logic everything is ok.
  • More variety in some areas like villages that I don't like a lot would be nice (maybe DLC... starting by free dlc coming soon). This said, a mountain is big and you can't do something semi realistic with houses everywhere :p
  • And nitpicking but I like to have gear and tech clothes (real brands) to choose from. Maybe later too?

Final word:
- you like Amped and relaxing free riding sessions then go
- you like SSX and want tricks and fireworks everywhere then skip
- you find it for more than 60€ then skip no matter your preference

I really do hope Ubi will try to push this a little during the winter/skiing season and support it with a few great dlc and patches to make things even better.

Like suggested above I'll turn off trick assist to see if it controls better (but controls are not an issue imo). And I'll come back after a few hours more.

Thanks for the impressions man, come back and report on your findings :)

HennyGingerale

Neo Member
I bought it for 40$ in some marketing stunt, wouldn't advise to pay more.

HOWEVER, I'm having tons of fun with steep. Skiing is awesome, you truly get the feeling of backcountry skiing/snowboarding. Paragliding is suprisingly relaxing, wingsuiting very frustating :)

I like this game actually a lot. But the season pass stuff is total bullshit. The 10000 credits/heli tickets are actually free for everyone in the Ubisoft club store!

I've done about a 20-30min run from one of the peaks. They're pretty high.

On PS4 Pro it looks amazing. 60fps. Zero load times, ever. The boarding feels great.....

Best snowboarding for me since 1080 Avalanche.

In fact I'd say its a cross between Pilotwings and 1080.

The Pilotwings comparison is perfect. I was trying to figure out what it reminded me of and you are right, it's totally the pilotwings of winter sports.

Since this is so good can they make a skateboarding game next?

Sorry for the thread derail. I just really want a decent skateboarding game again.

I will purchase this soon.

phant0m

Real shame at the lack of marketing on this. And the crowded release date.

I'll pick it up for $40 after xmas.

So I picked this up for 32$ with the Best Buy deal going on right now and I'm really impressed so far. The game looks and runs great. There are zero load times when restarting a challenge or watching a replay and it's pretty damn fun.

As someone who never really played SSX (except a little bit of the reboot) and hasn't touched a game like this since Coolboarders 3...I like it.

Getting the timing on tricks down is taking me longer than I'd like (I keep doing grabs or just plain jumps instead), but when it clicks, it feels great.

Hopped off a roof and did a triple flip (narrowly missing a power pole) on skis and pretty much went "YEP this is alright."

So far just a very relaxing game. There's a button dedicated entirely to hooting and hollering, too, if things get too quiet.

Maybe a hard sell at full price, even harder for the Gold edition, but GCU and the B2G1 sale sure helped.

My favourite thing thus far is getting as high as I can on the mountain and trying to do the longest run possible.

Super impressed with both the length from top to bottom and the variety of terrain along the way.

I finally picked up the Gold edition after my Amazon fiasco and I'm liking it so far. The box says it comes with the Moonlight Pack, but I'm not seeing the costumes anywhere. Am I missing something?

The_Lump

Banned
I've done about a 20-30min run from one of the peaks. They're pretty high.

On PS4 Pro it looks amazing. 60fps. Zero load times, ever. The boarding feels great.....

Best snowboarding for me since 1080 Avalanche.

In fact I'd say its a cross between Pilotwings and 1080.

That's the dream. Perfect.

So far just a very relaxing game.

I thought this too, but then I went on a couple of runs last night that stressed me right the fuck out. Like "oh shit oh shit why'd I go this way I'm going to dieeeeeeeeeeeee" which continues the thread of this feeling like the most realistic snowboarding game I've ever played.

I have no idea what the chick was saying on the mountain story she led me on, because parts of it got way too intense for me to listen to a word she was saying. She did lead me to some cool stuff though. I posted earlier in the thread that I was hoping some of the points of interest would feel like cool discoveries, and I definitely happened on things that hit that checkbox last night. Hiding them behind spoiler tags just in case...

Found some ruins that seemed like a monastary sort of thing. You could actually trick over/through some of them, which was cool. Also went through a super narrow sort of hidden crevice/canyon thing that might have even turned into a cavern/tunnel at some point, but it was so fast and intense that I couldn't say for sure. Stumbled on a couple of frozen lakes and a dam (industrial, not beaver). Probably could have wingsuited from the dam, but I'm sticking mostly to ground based activities for now

MrBlonde

Game is super hard for me on medium and hard events especially wing suit, I do ok with snowboarding for the most part but the others not as much

There's a cross-country flying challenge that spawns me here:

JrnfByu.jpg

Edit: Not really feeling it. Will probably refund and wait for it to get cheaper. Controls suck. Physics are wonky. Watching gameplay of it, I thought it was a problem with the videos or something that caused this weird jittery movement, but nope, that's just the game's jank. Often hitting invisible objects. Complete lack of control of your character while in the air beyond letting go of either analog stick and letting your character attempt to land on his own. Lackluster tricks.

Really good idea though. The entire mountain was pretty fun to explore. Just not a whole lot to do. Wingsuit's cool. But just makes me want to play SSX 3.

Freeman76

There's a cross-country flying challenge that spawns me here:

Edit: Not really feeling it. Will probably refund and wait for it to get cheaper. Controls suck. Physics are wonky. Watching gameplay of it, I thought it was a problem with the videos or something that caused this weird jittery movement, but nope, that's just the game's jank. Often hitting invisible objects. Complete lack of control of your character while in the air beyond letting go of either analog stick and letting your character attempt to land on his own. Lackluster tricks.

Really good idea though. The entire mountain was pretty fun to explore. Just not a whole lot to do. Wingsuit's cool. But just makes me want to play SSX 3.

You should watch some of the tips videos on their forum and see if they help. The way thlse guys play it makes it look so smooth its ridiculous.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Just played another 3 hours non-stop. I don't get why people seem to hate it. I am really enjoying myself. Just snowboarding down the mountain, doing a challenge, go back snowboarding. Do a new challenge, try to get that golden medal on the fun challenge and just explore the mountain and discover new places. And all of this without loading times, incredible :eek:

While I could understand that parachuting and paragliding isn't really fun for a long time. I really like the snowboarding in this game. It just feels good.

I am pretty sure though that it isn't a game that you keep playing for hours every day. But now and then you start and have an hour of good fun.

---
Have you guys already played it with friends? Haven't tried it yet, because I don't have friends who own this game. But I just played with a stranger for 15 minutes who I met on the mountain and it was great fun just to do things together.

I can imagine it's even more fun with some friends.

Addi

I completed the two hardest wing suit challenges in the game, "La Fieuse" on the top of Matterhorn and "Fallen Rocks" on the Mont Blanc. Completely insane.

Kingsora

Does anyone actually knows if it is possible to compare your times and scores with the rest of the world on challenges and missions? Some kind of leaderboard to see how fast you are in comparison with the rest of the world would be so great. One of the reasons I played Motorstorm a lot many years ago. Beating your own time is fun, but it would be even more fun if you can see how good you actually are on every mission.

But I don't think it's in the game? Or am I missing something?

Addi

Does anyone actually knows if it is possible to compare your times and scores with the rest of the world on challenges and missions? Some kind of leaderboard to see how fast you are in comparison with the rest of the world would be so great. One of the reasons I played Motorstorm a lot many years ago. Beating your own time is fun, but it would be even more fun if you can see how good you actually are on every mission.

But I don't think it's in the game? Or am I missing something?

It is written on the challenge description when you choose them. You have your best time, the medal times and the worldwide times (best of the day, best of the week, best all time if I remember correctly). You can watch their replay or race against their ghost too.

Kingsora

It is written on the challenge description when you choose them. You have your best time, the medal times and the worldwide times (best of the day, best of the week, best all time if I remember correctly). You can watch their replay or race against their ghost too.

Aha ok, that's interesting. I didn't know that. Makes the game even a lot better for me. :p

Ok so now after a few more hours I can confirm that the game is good.

I won't say that it should be fun for everyone so maybe people who are more casually skiing or snowboarding without going into snowparks, doing boarder cross or freeride won't enjoy it but the sensations are here.

For me even tricks are starting to come very naturally and both the way you start your jumps and take care of the landings are well done. Some tricks are more complicated and it's normal but you can do quite impressive stuff (if you compare to something realistic like what you could see in Videos or during X-Games).

Now the variety I asked in villages and landscapes is not here but other mountains and coming dlc may bring some new things to see since in other areas (after all it's kind of logical to see similar trees and else in Alps).

Also even if I don't see it as a game with objectives I still enjoy riding here and there and when I discover a new drop zone and new challenges I sometime try some and actually many are very enjoyable.

Oh and there is some customization (I've missed that.. don't even know how?) but didn't take the time to see what there is in details.

I'm happy with my purchase. Will be my relaxing game of this Winter :p

PS: I don't play with people online but seeing some people appearing here and there is not boring. Sometime I just ride next to them for a few minutes just like to see where and what they are doing :p

Freeman76

After putting many hours into it this is my favourite snowboarding game since 1080. It takes a lot of practice to get it down, but once you have its just sublime to play.

AEREC

Need confirmation but hearing reports from reddit people that IT IS running at 60 fps on pro. Need confirmation. Will buy if true.

It's not 60fps on Pro...more like 45-50ish. Sometimes it might hit 60 if you are looking at the ground. This is at 1080p though.

I think 4K is at 30fps.

AEREC

Love the get from point A to B any way you choose challenges. Thsoe have actually been the most satisfying so far.

MUnited83

For you.
From people who played both the beta and the final release: is there any change to the physics/momentum in the game in the final release? I enjoyed the beta, but the momentum felt all kinds of wrong at times, with abrupt breaks in velocity in non-sensical places.

AEREC

From people who played both the beta and the final release: is there any change to the physics/momentum in the game in the final release? I enjoyed the beta, but the momentum felt all kinds of wrong at times, with abrupt breaks in velocity in non-sensical places.

No change from what I can tell. Physics can still be on the wonky side soemtimes.

So I accidentally played the game for about 5 hours yesterday. I sat down to play for a bit after dinner and before I knew it I checked my watch and it was midnight. I haven't done that with a game in a long time. I am having fun just exploring around. The only big complaint I have is that I wish there was a list of the challenges somewhere instead of moving the cursor around a map. I'm having a hard time finding new challenges that I've unlocked, but haven't competed in.

Impulsor

I kinda want a relaxed game to just goof around until I get Resident Evil 7.

I like SSX, but kinda grew tired of so much colors and noise, if you get what I mean. I really like cruising.

This sounds like it could be up my alley.

Freeman76

So I accidentally played the game for about 5 hours yesterday. I sat down to play for a bit after dinner and before I knew it I checked my watch and it was midnight. I haven't done that with a game in a long time. I am having fun just exploring around. The only big complaint I have is that I wish there was a list of the challenges somewhere instead of moving the cursor around a map. I'm having a hard time finding new challenges that I've unlocked, but haven't competed in.

This is my only complaint also, the map is a pain in the arse

SmartBase

So how are the snowboarding mechanics? Normally I'd think with four (or is it five?) sports available that the game is a "master of none" type of deal but I've read plenty of mixed reactions which doesn't with the decision to buy or not.

Impulsor

Ok, so I bit the bulet and went ahead and grabbed a copy on my way home from work.

I love this. Why the so-so reviews? It doesn't feel essentially different to me than an open world checklist game, like for example Watchdogs 2.

Watchdogs 2 feels way more repetitive to me than this. Basicly any open world checklist game can be comapred to the structure and gameplay "formula" of this game, generally.

This game is absolutely beautiful and stunning, easy to play, hard to master, really really fun gameplay. At least for me.

I went to bed at 3 am because I wanted to unlock a snowboard and needed a gold medal in an event, was falling short all the times I tried and was stuck there for like an hour and a half, but never felt bored.

Granted, paragliding is the sport I like the least, but it's also kinda the most relaxed and slow of the bunch.

Skiing feels incredible in this game and so does snowboarding and the gliding suit is just exhilarating.

So yeah, pure fun for me. Really glad I got it.

So how are the snowboarding mechanics? Normally I'd think with four (or is it five?) sports available that the game is a "master of none" type of deal but I've read plenty of mixed reactions which doesn't with the decision to buy or not.

You use the left stick to steer, the right stick to "brake"/move around your board. R2 to prepare jump, release jump and use left stick+ r2/l2 for tricks.

Left and right = spins
up and down = vertical spins

you can mix those up. There is no grinding mechanic and I still have not seen a slope.

Also you have a resistance meter. Each time you land, dependign on how good and from how tall and how hard you land, you deplete that meter, if you empty it you fall down and lose the multiplier.

I saw someone say the trick system is Skate-esque over in the review thread. Is that aspect varied enough, feel good once you got it down?

Also how's the variety in the mountain and different areas? The lack of dedicated "tracks" make it seem like races could get boring after a while

Freeman76

I saw someone say the trick system is Skate-esque over in the review thread. Is that aspect varied enough, feel good once you got it down?

Also how's the variety in the mountain and different areas?

The trick system is similar to skate but not as in depth, purely because there arent as many tricks I guess...however, nailing a 720 stalefish while hauling ass down a black run with ice patches is a more intense gaming rush than most I have seen this year.

I have put a LOT of hours into this and still am impressed by the variety they have achieved with the locations, each mountain has a slight theme to it and only after playing for a while does this become apparent.

As a snowboard enthusiast who spent thousands on holidays and gear, this is a much cheaper way to stay connected to the sport I love when I cant necessarily just grab my board and fuck off to Courcheval for a season due to life commitments. It's easily the closest to putting across the feeling of being at the mercy of a mountain.

Earlier in the thread I said it was my favourite snowboarding game since 1080, but now I think it eclipses even that for me, and could quite possibly end up being my favourite gaming experience this year!

There were a LOT of reviews that came out the day after release when those people hadnt spent much time with the game. The more recent ones where reviewers have actually taken the time to get their head around the systems are far more positive, check Polygon and Eurogamer for example, they fall in line more with the STEAM reviews of players who spend 30+ hours with the game and dont just give up on it because it isnt SSX.

Impulsor

Also how's the variety in the mountain and different areas? The lack of dedicated "tracks" make it seem like races could get boring after a while

I never played Skate so I cannot say. The game does not feel geared towards tricks but it feels super fluid. To get y point across, when I play SSX, each time I do a trick I can perceive a clear transition, like, there are "hooks" in the animations between tricks or something like that.

In Steep, it feels really visceral, you gain speed, you press jump, release when desired and you have to get the timing just right to pull off the tricks. You can grab and spin horizontally and vertically and have to land just right enough to not empty your "resistance" bar and fall.

It feels really good once you figure out a good route to get the points for gold on an event and it feels really good when you start to get the hang of the tricks and start mixing skiing backwards with backflips and grabs and spins and land facing forwards and then the next jump you do something crazy again.

The tricks in this game are less crazy and over the top than in SSX and maybe other games, they are more realistic and beleivable.

And for the second question. No way. The map is HUUUUUUGE and ultra varied. There are loads of landscapes. I cannot possibly fathom how this map can ever get boring to traverse.

You have Point A and Point B. You have the way marked for you for bronze medal, silver medal and gold medal, the paths you can follow to try to get the necessary score or you can go nuts and find your own path.

There are rarely limits, other than check points, that just steer you in a general direction.

Yeah, the Eurogamer and Polygon reviews are what shifted my opinion on the game after not really clicking with it after trying the beta.

Looking forward to getting the game later this week. Didn't spend as much time with the beta as I wanted, but I did spend like half an hour trying to wingsuit through power line towers. Felt so good when I finally did it, after many bone-breaking impacts

The "it's not SSX" complaints I've seen come across as quite ridiculous. Like I get it, and I miss SSX too, but it's like saying Dirt is bad because it's not Burnout

Impulsor

Yeah, the Eurogamer and Polygon reviews are what shifted my opinion on the game after not really clicking with it after trying the beta.

Looking forward to getting the game later this week. Didn't spend as much time with the beta as I wanted, but I did spend like half an hour trying to wingsuit through power line towers. Felt so good when I finally did it, after many bone-breaking impacts

The "it's not SSX" complaints I've seen come across as quite ridiculous. Like I get it, and I miss SSX too, but it's like saying Dirt is bad because it's not Burnout

I actually like that it's not SSX. This feels like a breath of fresh air for three reasons:

1. Ages since a game like this was released.
2. It's not another SSX
3. Snow!

And also, in this very thread I read someone comparing this to pilotwings. In a way, this feels kinda like pilotwings, in the best way possible. I love that you can seamlessly change the sport. You start out in an air balloon, jump with the suit, land after a thrilling proximity descent, switch to skiis or board and continue onward until you find an awesome place from where you can jump again with the suit or with the glider.

Really liberating.

Top Bottom